[FINAL]

Sunbeam

Sinb’s eyes slowly cracked open as she stirred awake. Looking around, she sighed, realizing that it was still night and that she has woken up at an ungodly hour: 2:30am when she checked her alarm clock.

Knowing she won’t be able to go back to sleep anytime soon, she just lay atop her bed, staring blankly at the ceiling and thinking back on what was causing her to lose sleep.

It was all because of that stupid dream.

Night after night after night, she’s been dreaming of the same thing over and over and she can’t help but feel frustrated and restless, wanting to know what it meant. The dream comprised of her, in a room, and looking at an array of pictures clipped on strings that were hung all over the room, all pictures having just a single image on them.

An image of the sun peeking through clouds, and as much as she loved looking over at the image, she was eventually getting tired of it. What she found funny in the dream was there were already a lot of those pictures but she was developing more of them, as if never having enough of them.

At that point, she just thought it was ridiculous. What kind of person would even do that? Indeed, it’s a farfetch from reality.

Eventually, sleep finally caught up with her once more and before she knew it, she was off to dreamland to see those images again.

The following night wasn’t all that different and it was becoming a problem for Sinb. She was going crazy with images of the sunbeam and it was not helping her concentrate on work.

She couldn’t even remember the number of times she would space out during an important meeting just because she happened to see the sun’s rays outside the window. Thankfully, her boss wasn’t an impatient person and would just mildly reprimand her actions.

However at one point it got a bit out of hand reaching the point where the said boss dismissed the entire meeting just so she could talk to Sinb about what was going on with her.

“Sorry about that, CEO-nim…” Sinb mumbled, bowing lowly in apology.

“Raise your head Sinb. And that’s Sojung-unnie to you at the moment.” Sojung remarked, looking over at the company’s Chief Operations Officer, “You’ve been really out of it lately and by this time everyone can see something’s bothering you. Are you okay?”

“I’m just not having enough sleep, that’s all.”

“I can tell it’s more than just losing sleep. What’s causing it?” Sojung insisted, telling Sinb to sit down which the younger was quick to follow. Turning her chair slightly, she faced her second in command and asked one more time, “What’s bothering you?”

“It’s something stupid…”

“You know more than anyone that I’ve dealt with stupid proposals and decisions, so I’m sure I can handle stupidity by this time.” she replied, earning a chuckle from the younger, “Tell me.”

Sinb paused for a moment before letting out a sigh, “I’ve been having recurring dreams lately.”

“Oh?” Sojung remarked interestedly, “They’re not nightmares?”

“I don’t think I look that much of a wreck yet, do I?” she remarked earning a shrug from the CEO, “It’s just, it’s making me see things now, and everytime I see something I end up getting distracted.”

“And that dream is the source of those things you see?” Sojung asked and Sinb nodded with a soft mumble, “What is it about?”

“I don’t even understand it myself. I’m in a room with all these pictures around me.” Sinb began to explain, at the same time reminiscing, “And they all have one image on it.”

“Just one image?”

“Yeah.”

“And that image is what’s keeping you distracted?”

She nodded, pouting slightly.

“What is it?”

“That.” Sinb jabbed her finger towards the window and Sojung followed, trying to determine what she was referring to.

“What?”

“That!”

“What is that?”

Sinb looked over and saw Sojung squinting her eyes at something practically non existent in the sky.

“Can’t you see it?”

“What am I looking for exactly? All I can see are clouds.”

“I meant the sun.”

Sojung abruptly turned to her and Sinb was able to avoid a slap to the arm just in time, “Then say so from the very start!”

“What did you think I was referring to?”

“The clouds? I thought you were pointing at a UFO?”

“How can you still believe in UFOs at your age?”

“You’re only a few years younger than me you–!”

And so after the 12th round of boxing with Sojung winning via TKO, the two fell back into their initial atmosphere with Sinb secretly swearing revenge under her breath along with a long list of death threats.

“So you’ve been dreaming of the sun recently?”

“Yeah. I guess to be more accurate, I’ve been dreaming of sunbeams.” Sinb explained, “And so everytime I see a ray of light like the one from the projector, I get distracted.”

“Hmm.” Sojung hummed.

“Stupid right?” Sinb laughed at herself.

“Not really.” Sojung shrugged, then looked over at Sinb with a teasing smile on her lips, enough to make the younger uncomfortable, “You’re really growing up now, aren’t you?”

“Why are you talking like someone your age?”

“You want another fight?”

“And wipe the floor with you? Bring it.”

Sojung just rolled her eyes at the younger woman’s childishness before continuing, “I just meant I might know what those dreams are about.”

Sinb raised a brow, staring at her boss incredulously, “You’re joking.”

“I’m not. I’ve had an experience like that before.”

“For real?” this time, Sinb was surprised.

“Yeah. It happened a week before I met Yuna.” Sojung nodded, a small smile gracing her lips upon the mention of her girlfriend’s name, “And since you’re going through the same thing, I might as well tell you about it. It’s based from Yewon’s research, but it’s been true so far.”

Sinb blinked at the mention of Yewon’s name. Yewon was Sojung’s sister around the same age as Sinb, but already has a PhD in Philosophy. If Yewon’s the source, then there might be some facts in it.

“She told me that we might be getting a visual image of what impressions we’ll have of our soulmates the first time we meet them.” Sojung explained, “And that’s what the dreams are about.”

Sinb fell silent for a full minute just staring at Sojung’s face before bursting out in laughter.

“Soulmate?” Sinb repeated in utter disbelief, “What kid’s show have you been watching?”

“Trust me, I didn’t believe it at first!” Sojung insisted, “But Yewon experienced the same thing before she met Eunha and Yuna told me she had dreams too before she met me.”

Sinb breathed out a laugh while shaking her head, “That just sounds ridiculous.”

Sojung just shrugged, “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“I don’t believe it, but you have me curious. What did you dream of in the first place?”

The CEO looked away a little, Sinb noticing how her ears had begun to turn red. broke out in a teasing grin. Really, when it came to Yuna, Sojung was like a highschool girl with a crush.

“I’ll tell you if you won’t laugh.”

“I won’t promise anything.”

Sojung grumbled, “Figures.” she then faced Sinb before saying, “I dreamt of puppies and dogs for a week straight.”

“…Puppies?” Sinb stared, “Are you sure you’re talking about the right person here?”

Sinb tilted her head in wonder. Yuna was the manager of one of the company’s strongest selling stores and the few times she’s met the woman, there was no way she could even think of puppies at first impression. She’s always pegged her as silent, perhaps didn’t want to be bothered, and serious about her work.

“Yuna is adorable! You just don’t see it since you only see her at work.” Sojung insisted, “The first time I saw her was at the park and she was playing around with the dogs there… She was so cute…” she trailed off with a pout and a blush on her cheeks while Sinb just stared blankly.

“And what did she dream of?” she just opted to ask, not wanting to head any more of Sojung being head over heels for the woman.

“She said she dreamt of food.”

“What?”

“Don’t ask. She has a unique outlook on life sometimes.” Sojung glared at Sinb’s teasing look, “Zip it, I don’t want to hear your first impression of me. Why are you so curious if you don’t believe in it in the first place?”

“I just wanted to know.”

“Then believe in it.”

“I’ll believe in it when I see it.” Sinb huffed.

“Well depending on how long you’ve had those dreams, I’m sure it’s going to be soon.” Sojung remarked with a shrug, “How long has it been since your first dream?”

Sinb thought back for a bit, “Since Thursday I guess?”

“That’s exactly a week ago.” she chuckled, “Who knows? She might come along by tomorrow.”

“I still don’t believe in that nonsense.” she rolled her eyes.

She did say that, but that night she found herself having a hard time falling asleep as the thought of a soulmate arriving soon continuously plagued her mind.

This was all Sojung’s fault.

 

Sinb’s never been the type to be overcome by anxiety over anything. May it be presentations, meetings, or even dealing with an angry investor. But for that day, she was unusually anxious, and she insists on blaming it all on Sojung or the strong coffee she brewed earlier to keep her awake through the day.

Thankfully, she didn’t look like a wreck. She had only managed to squeeze in two hours of sleep before getting up for work. Two hours of sleep wasn’t enough for the paperwork she had to handle.

But that wasn’t the exact reason why she was feeling nervous. She was more than sure it was because of what Sojung said. Her boss should have never told her about the soulmate thing and now she feels expectant at the same time hyper vigilant.

It was preposterous. She could only consider her actions as absurd at this point. There was no way that such a fictional thing can be true so why was she anticipating for no valid reason?

“Has your soulmate come by yet?” Sojung peeked into her office without knocking, taking Sinb by surprise.

“Learn to knock!” she just growled.

“Oh? You seem a bit antsy.” the CEO noticed with a teasing smile, “I thought you didn’t believe me?”

“I still don’t.”

“Doesn’t look that way to me.” Sojung said, “Just admit it Sinb. You’re excited over it.”

“This is all your fault.” she glared.

“You’ll thank me after this.”

“I doubt it.” she stuck her tongue out at her, “Did you come here to annoy me?”

“Yeah.”

“Get out.”

“I’m your boss, idiot.”

“So? It’s my office.”

“It’s my company.”

Their bickering continued until Sojung was called for a last minute meeting and Sinb was more than relieved to be rid of her. Though she had to admit that their conversation somehow eased the nervousness and made her focus better for the rest of the day.

Before she knew it, night has fallen and she’s spent more time than she should at the company. She’s relieved that she was able to get her work done, at the same time she felt a tinge of disappointment. Sinb knew the reason was because the day had progressed uneventfully.

Yes, the soulmate of hers never arrived.

She’s heard from Yewon that she and Eunha met exactly a week after the dreams started which was the same case for Sojung and Yuna. They were confident that she’d see that person today but it was already evening, a few hours before the day really ended, and she wouldn’t dare bet on the chances they’d meet on the remaining hours left.

Exiting the elevator, she heard thunder clap from above which was immediately followed by a huge downpour, enveloping more or less half of the city. Sinb frowned at this, cursing herself slightly for not listening to the forecast for that day. She hasn’t brought her car or even an umbrella, so she was basically stuck at the company until the rain stopped.

Or maybe she can just run to the bus stop which was perhaps a block away.

Yeah, that sounds like a better idea.

She might get drenched, but at least she’ll be home early to get more sleep.

So without thinking twice, she held her handbag above her head and bolted. People would normally just wait for the rain, but if she did, she might miss the bus and be forced to wait for the next one. Sinb doesn’t like waiting.

She let out a huff once she reached the bus stop and looked up, seeing that there was no chance for the rain to be subsiding anytime soon. Luckily her apartment was just a few minutes away by bus so she won’t be suffering from the chills for too long but the problem would be her run from the bus stop to her home. It will be a particularly long run, and she’s sure to be a mess by the time she gets there.

Still, a small price to pay for more sleep, so long as she doesn’t fall sick.

The bus soon arrived and she quickly hurried inside, shivering slightly at the cold air. She decided to just stand by the door, not wanting to drench the seats and also because her stop wasn’t that far.

The rain was pouring incessantly, showing no sign of letting up soon. Sinb just hopes it stops before she gets off or else she’ll be in for another sprint.

Unfortunately, her prayers weren’t answered and her stop was drawing near but the rain was still pouring on them hard. She was bound to get soaked when she arrives home for sure…

She grumbled, “Just my luck…”

Sinb then noticed a presence beside her but just ignored it, assuming that the person might be getting off the same stop.

A minute later, the bus doors opened and Sinb was hesitating to get off, but she had to or she might end up going on a joyride and take a taxi home instead. Why didn’t she take a taxi in the first place? She didn’t have enough cash on her and taxi fares are ridiculously expensive.

Yes, she does have those moments despite being the COO of a company. Besides, public transportation is more fun.

Sinb just huffed before making a move to get off and start running.

“You don’t have an umbrella?”

Sinb abruptly stopped in her tracks. Taken by surprise, she turned to the person who was beside her since earlier, “Huh?”

“Are you seriously going out in this rain?”

“I don’t really have a choice…”

“You do. Here, take this.” the person shoved an umbrella in her hands and urged her to go before the doors closed.

“Wh- I can’t take t–”

“I have an extra one with me, it’s fine. Now go.”

“Ah– T-thanks.” Sinb hurriedly stepped out, opening the umbrella and quickly turned to get a better look wt the kind soul that just helped her. The doors were closing but she could catch a glimpse of the woman’s smiling face through the windows and saw her waving goodbye which Sinb was quick to return.

Sinb felt grateful, she didn’t even hesitate to give a random stranger her umbrella and because of that, she didn’t have to worry about getting drenched all the way home.

There are still some good people in this world after all. Sinb can consider herself lucky to have stumbled upon one.

Once the bus left, she began her trek home, remembering the earlier incident and making sure to imprint the woman’s face in her mind. The way she smiled sweetly at her was a sure sign that she was happy to help and that made Sinb feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The warm feeling reminded her of the sun despite the pouring rain. Right, she’s like a ray of hope when she needed it the most, Sinb thought happily as she continued walking down the path.

Hold on a second…

The sun?

It can’t be.

She quickly whipped her head to the direction of the leaving bus, eyes wide with realization. It was taking all her self-control not to run after it and get to know the person she was talking to just a moment ago.

Could it be a coincidence?

No, the timing is just as she expected. It was too perfect to be a coincidence.

She quickly headed home and took a speedy shower before hurriedly phoning Sojung.

“So? Is she pretty?”

“What makes you so sure I’ve met her?”

“You wouldn’t call me otherwise.”

“…Point taken.” she cleared , “But, how do you know if she’s the person?”

Instead of Sojung, Yuna took the phone and answered her question, “Besides the first impression, you’ll stop having the dreams. It’s the number one indicator.”

“And you’ll be seeing her more from now on!” Sojung yelled from the background.

“What she said.”

“So I’ll be seeing her again?”

Sinb was uncharacteristically excited with what she just heard, but can anyone blame her? She didn’t exactly know what else to feel. Of course a part of her was still doubting things, but she’s mostly gotten over her initial suspicions and just looked forward to seeing that person again.

“Sure you will.”

“Is she pretty?” Sojung shouted from the background again.

“Bye.”

Sinb cut off the call, a mischievous smile playing on her face as she imagined the annoyed look Sojung was most likely giving her by now, but she didn’t care, she had other things to think about.

She chuckled, “It’s better if they see her for themselves.”

 

Sinb was unusually calm the next day. She knew that she was being watched by her boss, seemingly looking for any hints about what happened the previous night, but Sinb refused to give anything away.

This was considered payback for all the teasing.

Of course she won’t let Sojung get what she wants after she called her at an ungodly hour just to know details, so she refuses to let anything slip. She wasn’t going to give Sojung that satisfaction.

Still, that didn’t mean yesterday’s happenings did not go through her mind once in a while and before she knew it, a smile would unknowingly blossom on her face.

Which she’d quickly wipe off before anyone caught her acting like a highschool girl with a crush.

At the moment, she has just returned from a meeting and was checking some emails while inside her office. In half an hour, she will be heading off to check their company’s other departments at the lower floors. At first, Sinb thought the rest of the day would be peaceful but that was all ruined when Sojung’s face peeked through the door to her office.

“Leave me alone.” Sinb was quick to say, not wanting to deal with her.

“Not today Sinb.” Sojung looked down at her smugly, “I’ll be joining you until later.”

“I have stuff to do.”

“And I’ll be joining you.”

“For a CEO, you sure seem to have a lot of free time don’t you?”

“And for a COO, you’re too busy.” Sojung remarked, taking the seat in front of her desk, “But don’t worry, I won’t be bothering you about your soulmate anymore. We’re bound to see her one of these days anyway.”

“Any chance all of that was just a coincidence?” Sinb asked, closing the tab on the screen and shutting her laptop down. She stared back at Sojung while leaning back against her seat.

“Did the dreams stop?”

“I… guess…?”

“Then you should stop doubting. It’s what happened to us too.”

Sinb exhaled a breath, “Sorry, I still have a hard time believing it.”

“Don’t think about it too much.” Sojung adviced, “Anyway, get up. It’s time to head down to the lower floors.”

“Already?”

“Yeah, now up.”

Sinb begrudgingly followed. If this wasn’t her job, she would have ignored Sojung completely, but she had duties to fulfill and besides, this was the last task for the day and she can go and rest (be lazy) again.

When the both of them exited the office, Sinb’s secretary was there expecting them.

“Where to first?” Sinb asked, her secretary quick to answer.

“The HR Department ma’m.”

Both of them just nodded before straightening themselves up. Though they preferred being the relaxed kind of people, work is work, and they are still bosses of the company. It would be best if they gave off that impression wherever they went where employees would see them.

The trip didn’t even take them five minutes, and when they stepped out the elevator, they were met by the busy atmosphere falling heavily in the room.

“What’s the use of surprise visits if everyone’s expecting you?” Sinb suddenly remarked, seeing one employee opening nonsensical windows on his desktop to make it look like he was working.

Someone had tipped them off about their arrival.

They usually do this to make sure that their employees had a good working environment and surprise visits normally were effective in exposing the lazy bums and the authority abusers.

“Let’s head to a different floor.” Sojung agreed, heading back to the elevator.

Sinb spoke, addressing her secretary without a glance in her direction, “Do this again and you can start considering your resignation.”

She bowed low in apology, “Y-Yes ma’m. It won’t happen again.”

Arriving at a random floor they didn’t even bother to check, they were quick to notice the silence.

“Huh, the sales department sure is quite relaxed.” Sojung remarked, her gaze sweeping across the room. It was a stark contrast to the earlier department, Sojung even saw one taking a quick nap in their cubicle.

Amidst the silence there was one employee they noticed had just come out of the break room and proceeded to one of the cubicles not far from where they stood.

“Here’s your coffee, sunbaenim.” they heard her say. Sojung and Sinb shared a look before approaching closer. They watched as said employee approached another cubicle and said the same thing.

“What are you doing?” Sojung spoke up, taking everyone within the vicinity by surprise. Everyone nearly stood from their seats the moment they realized who it was that spoke.

Said employee was alarmed and slowly turned and when she fully faced them, Sinb found herself frozen stiff seeing the familiar face.

With the way the woman’s eyes widened when her gaze caught sight of Sinb, she was just as surprised as the COO was upon seeing her.

“You’re an unfamiliar face. Are you new?” Sojung asked.

That seemed to snap her out of her frozen stupor and she was quick to refocus on the other person before giving a low bow, “Y-yes…”

“What’s your name?” Sinb found herself asking before she could stop herself.

“Jung Yerin, ma’m.”

“Well, Jung Yerin-ssi.” Sinb spoke again, “Why are you being a coffee girl for everyone? You have work don’t you?”

“I’m sorry…”

“I’m asking a question and I’d like an honest answer.”

Yerin fidgeted uneasily, twiddling her thumbs as she looked uneasily towards her co-workers, “Because they asked me to…?”

Sinb scoffed, turning to the other employees, “Are you all treating newbies like this? Where’s your department head?”

“H-He’s currently out, ma’m.”

“During working hours?” Sinb growled.

They all fell silent.

“Tell him he’s being demoted when he gets back.” Kim Sojung spoke up, “You all should know that what we witnessed here will be taken into consideration during your assessment. Also, get your own coffees next time and Jung Yerin-ssi?”

“Y-yes ma’m?”

“You can go back to work. Don’t do any other errand that’s not related to your job.”

She bowed, “Understood.”

“Oh and Jung Yerin-ssi.” Sojung called once more, causing the employee to turn back.

“Yes ma’m?”

“You’d best remember this face.” she told her, gesturing to Sinb, “This is the company’s Chief Operations Officer, Hwang Sinb. I’m Kim Sojung, the CEO.”

They watched with mild amusement the way her eyes widened in surprise, her gaze particularly on Sinb as she nodded her head in understanding.

“You can go back to work now.”

“Yes ma’m. If you will excuse me…” she bowed before making her way back to her cubicle. Sinb released the breath she didn’t realize she has been holding in since the moment their gazes met. She was doing all she can, trying to keep a sane head on her shoulders.

“Let’s go.” Sojung urged, Sinb just followed without another word.

When they both arrived inside the elevator after they both adviced the secretary to leave them be for a while, Sojung let a huge grin break out on her face.

“She’s pretty.”

“You have a girlfriend already. And shut up.”

Despite saying that, seeing Yerin finally without the fogged up obstruction of the bus door’s windows, with no rain pelting on her that kept her from getting a clear look, seeing Yerin with no unnecessary filters was indeed a sight to behold. She was just as beautiful as she thought her to be and the sun couldn’t even compare.

Yerin is indeed as beautiful as the image of the sunbeam.

 

It was another one of those nights that Sinb had to stay at the office late. The past few days have been quite hectic which meant she never had the opportunity to meet Yerin again after their encounter at the office.

Still, what were the chances they’d be working for the same company? She knew that Yuna said they’d be seeing each other more often, but this felt too good to be true.

This soulmate thing was mind boggling.

She was trying her best not to be too obvious about it, but by now she was sure that some of Yerin’s co-workers have caught on. With the way she keeps on asking her secretary how the sales department was doing around twice a day, and with her secretary being a bit of a tattle tale, they’d most likely be spreading rumors by now.

She had caught wind of one and heard that they think she’s interested in someone from the employees.

Was it her fault she wanted to know more about the woman? They’re just too good at gathering information. She was careful, they’re just a tad bit observant. She doesn’t even understand why it’s such a big deal. Is it wrong that she wanted to date? Is it illegal nowadays?

Finishing her tasks for the night, she made her way to the entrance of the building, eager to head home. That is, until she noticed another presence by the entrance, one that looked vaguely familiar.

Heart beating excitedly in her chest, she quickened her pace and approached.

“Jung Yerin-ssi?”

The person, as she expected, turned at the mention of the name and immediately bowed lowly the moment she realized who it was, “Miss Hwang…”

“It’s just Sinb now, we’re off work.” she waved the formalities off, earning a small smile from the new employee, “You went overtime?”

Yerin nodded, “Yes. I wanted to finish the reports by tonight and before I knew it, it’s gotten late. You too Sinb-ssi?”

She gave out an exaggerated sigh, “You have no idea how hard Sojung makes me work.”

Yerin laughed, “But it’s the reason why the company is the way it is right now.” she remarked, “Thank you for your hard work Sinb-ssi.”

Sinb couldn’t help but smile at that, “You’re working hard too Yerin-ssi despite being new to the company, thank you.”

Yerin seemed pleased at the praise with the way her face lit up at words, “I have to do my part somehow.” she mumbled, shyly looking away, “It’s getting late.” she quickly said, trying to cover up her flustered state, “You must be tired, Sinb-ssi, I should go on ahead…”

“Have you eaten yet?”

“Pardon?”

“Would you like to have dinner with me?”

Yerin blinked.

Sinb didn’t want them to go on their separate ways just yet. They’ve barely seen each other during the past few days and this was finally the opportunity that she’s been looking for. She’ll be damned if she doesn’t take it.

Before they knew it, they were both enjoying a hearty dinner at a nearby restaurant that Sinb frequented.

Conversations were made, time passed and the more they spoke, the more they got to know each other and by the time dinner ended it was already midnight and the last bus was set to arrive in just a few minutes. They knew both of them were going to miss it if they didn’t make a run for it.

Yerin tore off her heels and ran the streets barefoot, barely registering the loud laughter that came from Sinb at her actions.

“If you have time to laugh like that, then run faster!”

“Alright, alright. You just look–” Sinb fell silent at the glare Yerin sent her way, but that didn’t wipe the grin off her face.

The COO was somehow pleased that Yerin didn’t bother keeping images up around her. It’s like the woman didn’t think of their differences in position and just acted normally like how she would towards her friends. It didn’t even bother her that Sinb could see her doing something she was sure a lot of people would find embarrassing.

It goes to show that Yerin has found her comfortable to be with and that makes Sinb feel fuzzy all over.

They barely managed to make it in time, but the bus driver took pity on them and waited for a minute until they could board the bus. Thanking the driver for waiting, they proceeded to the seats at the far back and slumped tiredly against it, panting, and then bursting into hearty laughs a second later.

“Ah, now my stomach hurts from all the running.” Sinb breathed, holding her side. It was never a good idea to do anything strenuous with a full stomach. Nevertheless, she doesn’t regret it.

“Who told you to eat that much anyway?”

“You ate a lot too!”

Yerin folded her arms across her chest, “I don’t like leaving leftovers, what can I say?”

Sinb just rolled her eyes, “Sure, sure, just put on your shoes miss.”

“You don’t need to tell me.” Yerin stuck her tongue out at her before leaning down and slipping her heels back on, “I’m surprised you could run properly on those things.”

Sinb held her chin up, a smug smile on her lips, “It takes a lot of walking out on meetings.”

Yerin grimaced, “That bad?”

“You have no idea.” she huffed, then grumbled, leaning against Yerin like it was the most natural thing to do, “Let’s not talk about work.”

“Let’s not.” Yerin agreed, “Your stop’s in a few. You can take a quick nap and I’ll just wake you.”

“I’m fine.” Sinb assured her, “Wait… Back then you already stood by the door even if it wasn’t your stop yet.”

“My stop’s the one after and it’s not that far.”

Sinb pouted, “Still a bit far. We can’t have dinner again if it’s like that.”

“Why?”

“I don’t like keeping you out too late.”

Yerin stared for a bit before chuckling, “Maybe if we can get off work early, then we can have a longer dinner next time.”

Sinb hummed in agreement, “That works.”

“Let’s just make sure not to be late for the bus.”

“…It was fun seeing you run like that though.”

“No more dinners then.”

“I’m joking, sheesh. But hey.”

Yerin looked over, brow raised.

“Thanks for the umbrella.”

Yerin just smiled. The same smile she gave Sinb that day and it still gave her the same warm fuzzy feeling inside.

She doesn’t mind getting used to it.

 

A couple weeks later, things just went up from then. Sinb found it particularly easy hanging out with Yerin, with the latter feeling the same way. It was only difficult during the day when they had to remain professional, but that didn’t necessarily stop them from conversing through messages.

They’d send each other messages during the day then would have dinner or take leisure walks at night. During the weekend, they’ve agreed to go out only at Saturdays so Sunday can be a rest day for them before tackling the week once more.

“I’m really surprised you haven’t asked her to be your girlfriend yet.” Sojung asked as she watched Sinb rapidly typing on her phone.

“Soulmates or not, we’ve only known each other for a month.” Sinb replied distractedly, “It’s a bit too soon for it.”

“Huh. So you also think of things like this. Anyway, get off your phone for a bit.”

Sinb glared, “Are you telling me to ignore Yerin?”

“I’m telling you to pay attention because it concerns Yerin.”

Brows furrowed, she pressed send and placed her phone down on the desk, “What is this about?”

“My secretary just witnessed some mistreatment going on.” Sojung got straight to the point and sighed, “Your relationship with Yerin’s been obvious as day recently, especially when you would hang out every weekend. Some of the employees saw and are giving her a hard time because of it.”

Sinb frowned, “Yerin hasn’t said anything.”

“Of course she won’t tell you anything you doofus. If you don’t notice, you’re the reason why she’s getting all that crappy treatment.” Sojung stared, “And she didn’t want you to blame yourself for it.”

“Just because we’ve been going out?”

“The employees think Yerin’s getting special treatment.”

“That’s ridiculous.” Sinb remarked, “She’s receiving just the same benefits as the others are. If I’m giving her special treatment, she’d be promoted by now.”

“They obviously don’t see it that way. They’re just jealous.” Sojung leaned back in her seat, folding her arms across her chest.

“Should I tell them off?”

“That won’t help. That’s the special treatment they’re expecting: you-can’t-touch-me-because-I’m-with-the-boss kind. We’ll just follow protocol instead.” Sojung placed a folder on top of her table, “That’s Yerin’s assessment for this month and she’s more than qualified for a transfer.”

“So we take her out there?”

“It’s the only way.” Sojung shrugged, “How long was it since you fired your secretary?”

Sinb thought for a moment, “A week?” she then stared at her boss, “You’re not telling me to make her apply for the position?”

“If we transfer her to other departments, she’ll just get the same treatment as long as she stays with you.” she reasoned out, “It’s better if she’s physically with you so you can keep an eye on her.”

Sinb sighed, “I’ll talk to her later.”

“You might as well start thinking about it now.”

“Why?”

“Yerin just handed in her resignation this morning.”

Sinb’s frown deepened, quickly grabbing her phone and dialing a number, “You’re lying.”

Holding the phone to her ear, she impatiently tapped her fingers against the hard wood of her desk, sitting straight when the call finally connected.

She didn’t hesitate to ask, “Yah, Jung Yerin what’s this I’m hearing about you leaving?”

“…The news reached you faster than I thought.”

“You’re just going to leave without telling me anything?” Sinb asked, feeling betrayed. How did Yerin expect her to take this news? That she would be okay with it?

“Of course not, but I didn’t want you to know about it.” Yerin replied, “If I told you, you’d have done something for sure.”

“Of course I would! They haven’t been treating you well and you expect me to let it happen?”

“Sinb…”

“Did you even have any plan to tell me about this?”

“Listen, the sales department is in chaos right now and the only way was for me to leave.” Yerin began to explain, “It’s better that you don’t do anything and up getting your reputation ruined, I don’t want people to say you’re abusing your power just because you wanted to help me. Everything will be okay if I just left.”

“It’s not okay!” Sinb insisted, “Let’s talk about this. Where are you?”

“I’m heading home right now.”

“I’m coming over.” Sinb replied, already out of her seat and ready to head out.

“Sinb, I’m heading back to Incheon for a while.”

She stopped in her tracks, “Incheon? Wait a minute. W-Why?”

“I just need to–”

Not waiting for a response, she bolted out of her office with Sojung calling after her but she ignored it and headed to the elevator and hailed a taxi straight to the train station. Checking the time, she remembered the next train will be leaving in just fifteen minutes, she hopes she can get there in time.

Unfortunately, by the time she arrived the train had already left.

Unwavered, she bolted out of the station and hailed another taxi to take her to the next stop. She knew that if she let Yerin go, there was little chance she’d be seeing her again.

She’s not even sure if they’ll make it in time but she’ll be damned if she didn’t try with all she could.

To her dismay, luck was not on her side and the train has left the station by the time she got out of the taxi. She had gotten at the platform just in time to see the last train car speed past her out of sight. Chest heaving, she knew there was no chance for her to reach the next stop before the train arrived knowing the distance she would need to travel.

Taking a seat on a nearby bench, she heaved out a tired sigh from all the running she’s done. Disheartened and crestfallen, she mulled over her next move.

She had planned to call Yerin again after missing her train but realized that she forgot it in the office while she was hurrying out, so contacting her was out of the option. She could always follow her to Incheon, but the place was unfamiliar and her chances of getting lost before she found Yerin was large so she can exclude that from the options as well.

Burying her head in her hands, she had only one option left and that was to head back to the company, retrieve her phone and call Yerin again to try to convince her to change her mind. They haven’t even been together that long yet and they were already threatened by separation and the cause itself was ridiculous, she should have told those employees off the moment she saw their treatment towards her the first time.

A train whistle interrupted her thoughts, making her glance up for a moment. She didn’t even notice that a few minutes has already passed and the next train was arriving. Come to think of it, now that she’s here she may as well catch the train back to Seoul.

People began to flock the platform as the train stopped and opened its doors, Sinb took that as her cue to leave when the sight before her made her freeze in place.

Right there by the open door stood Yerin, her hand clutching tightly on the train handle to keep her balance. Said woman seemed to have noticed her as well as she gazed back with the same amount of surprise in her eyes.

“Yerin…”

“Sinb?”

Without thinking twice, she lunged forward and grabbed Yerin’s hand, pulling her out of the train car as the speakers warned the passengers of the closing doors. Sinb circled her arms around Yerin and pulled her into the tightest hug she could muster while burying her head in the woman’s neck.

Feeling the tight embrace, Yerin tried to pull away, protesting, “Hey, what–!?”

“Don’t go.” Sinb’s muffled voice made its way to her ears, stopping her movements completely.

The older woman could almost hear the quiver in her tone which made her understand what was going on.

“Don’t go.” she repeated.

“Sinb-ah…”

“Let’s talk this out. Don’t go just yet.”

Yerin sighed, acquiescing to the fact that the younger wasn’t going to be letting go anytime soon and returned the hug warmly.

“You’re so stupid.” Yerin chuckled, her voice gentle, “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Huh?”

Sinb pulled away to look at Yerin properly.

“Weren’t you listening earlier? I just needed to head home for a bit to visit my parents. I haven’t had the time since I’ve been so busy, and we always hung out during Saturdays. I was planning to return by tomorrow to fix things with the HR. CEO-nim suggested I transfer after she heard of what I’ve been enduring in the sales department. Did you think I was leaving for good?” she laughed loudly at the look Sinb was wearing, a look of disbelief at the same time a realization that she had just been played.

“I swear to all the heavens I will end that giraffe.” Sinb growled, pushing Yerin away when the latter wouldn’t stop laughing at her current state. She could even imagine Sojung having the best time of her life back at the office.

“Stop laughing!” she whined, “I really thought I won’t see you again.”

Yerin pulled her in for a hug, cooing, “You’re so cute.”

“Let go of me. You’re all scammers.”

“I didn’t even know anything about this! And hey, what do you peg me for?” Yerin questioned, “There’s no way I would just leave for good without saying anything. Seriously… you might be my superior but when you’re like this, I’m reminded you’re still younger than me after all.”

Sinb didn’t reply and just resumed grumbling. But despite the number of angry remarks she was mumbling under her breath, she was reciprocating Yerin’s embrace naturally, not showing any sign that she wanted to let go and so Yerin opted for them to stay that way.

Despite the misunderstanding, she knew that Sinb felt real fear the whole time and it somehow touched her to know how serious Sinb is when it came to her.

Yerin sighed, “I missed my train because of you now.”

“I don’t care. It was worth it.”

“You’re really hard to predict sometimes.”

“Naturally.”

Yerin hummed, “You know… since I’ve postponed my trip home, which is your fault by the way, you should come with me next time.” Yerin suggested, “I’ve been telling mom and dad about you and they want to see you.”

Sinb pulled away slightly, “They do?”

“Yeah.”

The COO mulled it over for a bit before nodding, “Okay.”

“Sure?”

She nodded again, “But hopefully when that happens, I’ll be your girlfriend by that time.”

Yerin raised her brows at the bold confession before a grin broke out on her face as she said, “Why not now?”

Sinb blinked, taken off-guard.

Yerin poked her cheek playfully, a sweet smile plastered on her face as she gazed into the younger woman’s orbs, “Be my girlfriend?”

This time Sinb reciprocated the smile, gazing deeply into Yerin eyes. Leaning forward, she slowly closed her eyes and placed a gentle kiss on Yerin’s lips before slowly pulling away and nodding for the third time, “Only if you’ll be mine.”

 

The new couple was currently cuddled up on the carpet at the foot of the couch, binge-watching some movies with Yerin backhugging the younger, legs extended on both sides while waiting for her to choose the next movie to watch. It’s been a week since the whole fiasco concerning Yerin’s transfer and thankfully, she was easily hired as Sinb’s secretary with no problems.

Needless to say, Sinb didn’t exactly let the Sales Department off the hook (despite Yerin’s protests) and had human resources give her a full assessment report.

She has never been happier to fire some people for their poor performance. Unfortunately, not all the employees of that department were included but it was already more than enough that they were given warnings for their behavior. Besides, they can no longer do anything to Yerin given she’s already directly under Sinb’s care.

She also made sure to completely dismiss the rumors so they could stop being bothered by it, and she did so by confirming their relationship. It wasn’t as if they can do anything about it anyway and Yerin wasn’t the type to abuse her position so she didn’t find anything wrong with it.

“Hey.” Sinb called after the movie began to play. Yerin hummed in reply, “Can I be the big spoon this time?”

Yerin looked over, “What’s with the sudden request?”

“I just want to? Now move it. Switch! Switch!” Yerin laughed at how Sinb was being insistent and decided to let her do what she wanted, moving slightly in front and waiting patiently for arms to wrap around her but instead felt legs wrapping around her waist and Sinb’s arms over her shoulders and around her neck.

“…What kind of big spoon are you?” Yerin had to ask, “Are you a koala?”

“It’s comfy like this.”

“I look like a body pillow.”

“The cutest body pillow.”

“And I look like someone who just fell on her while piggybacking a 10-year-old kid.”

“Do you hate it?”

“…No.”

“Then shush.” Sinb mumbled, resting her chin on the woman’s shoulder. She stared at the movie showing on the TV screen: The Notebook.

“Yerin-ah.”

“Hm?”

“Do you believe in soulmates?”

“Hmmm… I guess a little bit, but why are you asking?”

“I’m just curious.”

Sinb refocused her attention on the movie. She had picked it knowing how much Yerin liked it.

The talk about soulmates reminded her of what Sojung told her from before. The dreams weren’t a one-way thing. If Sinb had dreams of her then for sure Yerin must have dreamt of something about her too.

Sojung dreamt of puppies for Yuna and Yuna dreamt of food in return (Sojung still won’t tell her the reason).

Eunha, on the other hand, dreamt of stars. She said that the way Yewon’s eyes lightened up when they first met were as beautiful as stars in a night sky while Yewon dreamt of cute plushies, which was self-explanatory given Eunha’s cute appearance.

This meant Yerin had dreams about her too and Sinb wanted to know.

No use pondering about it, she might as well ask.

“Yerin-ah.”

“Hm?”

“Did you have recurring dreams of anything before we met?”

Yerin turned her head, or at least tried, Sinb noticing the surprise on her face, “How did you know? I did actually, the dreams lasted for quite a while too. It’s the reason why I had an extra umbrella with me that time.”

Sinb looked over curiously, “Why? What did you dream about?”

“I dreamt of rain. It was always raining in my dream. Everywhere, everytime. It was a bit sad, but there was something soothing to it too.” Yerin explained, “Come to think of it, the dreams stopped when we met.”

Sinb chuckled, “That’s true. And it was raining when we met.”

“Oh! You’re right!” Yerin began rubbing her arms vigorously, “Wah, amazing. I’m getting goosebumps.”

Sinb just laughed, understanding what Yerin’s first impression of her was just from hearing it. It wasn’t that hard to know given she was drenched from head to toe that time. It almost made her laugh at how ironic both dreams were.

“Alright, I’m actually convinced soulmates exist.” Yerin nodded, “My dream led me to you, I just know it.”

“If that’s the case, I might start liking rain from now on.”

“I agree.”

Sinb wrapped her arms a bit tighter. Indulging herself in the comfort Yerin gave her. She was happy and contented with what she discovered.

After all, the sun always shows itself after the rain and one wouldn’t be appreciated without the other.

And for Sinb, Yerin will always be the sun that she found after the rain.


 

istg editing stories on aff through phone is a nightmare XD