Cherish Me

Cherish Me

You are never too old to believe in fairytales. You are never too old to believe in soul mates.

The almost tattered at the edges poster gleams its usual shades of “condescending” and “irony”, quoting Ji Yong, behind the said man who is currently tucking in his dress shirt into his flare jeans. Adjusting his sleeves one last time, he walks to his dressing table and grabs his favourite perfume, Chanel No. 5, spraying it lightly on his shirt and wetting the insides of his wrists to caress the crook of his neck. Blending with the scent that brings out a contented smile on his dainty face, he threads his fingers through his thick locks of silky black and huffing out in the satisfaction of getting himself ready in the time he spared himself for he does require a decent amount of time to dress up, he slips into his Chanel flats and gracefully and as confidently as he can, he rubs his palms and looks up and into the mirror.

Warm hazel browns stare back at him and his face radiates the youth of how he looked like when he was 18; the day everything halted.

His eyes stare in wonderment at the sight of himself which has remained unchanged since the day he turned into an adult and letting out a sigh like he always does, his lips lilt into a lopsided hopeful grin as he feels Iye, his cat, purring and rubbing his cheek against his ankle as though reading his thoughts.

Bending down to his level, he his head tenderly and coos at his meow. “Am I being too hopeful, Iye-ah? I mean, is it high time I give up and just realise it is you and me against the world and that I’ll forever look like I’m 18 even though I’ll be aging internally? God, that’s just so sad.”

Iye’s ochre eyes only assess him in response and some times he thinks Iye knows him the best in the world. He really wonders if that is an unfortunate fact or if it is just a c’est la vie moment for him. Letting out a breath, he slumps against the foot of the bed and Iye climbs onto his lap to give him some comfort.

“This is ridiculous, isn’t it?” He mutters, Iye’s little fur, and glances out of the window at the darkening sky while being deep in thought.

“I mean, talking to you is kind of ridiculous too—it’s not like you’ll understand but you’re the only person around and I just want to let it out…even though you hear this rant from me almost every day...” His voice draws out into a mumble in the silence of the apartment and hating the lack of attention on him, he lifts up Iye to look him in the eye which he does with a look of absolute boredom since this is not the first time he is being coerced to be a listener to what Ji Yong has to say.

And, oh, does he know what Ji Yong has to say.

“I’m 27 years old, Iye-ah!! 27!! But do I look like it?? No!! Do I act like it?? Hell yeah!!” Iye looks away at that, making Ji Yong snort in response, and he nudges him to get him to look back at him.

“Hey, I do, okay?! You get your food, don’t you? You get a tower to sleep and play in, don’t you? You’re living this good life, aren’t you? Yeah, you’re. You’re one spoilt cat and I don’t mind spoiling you but there’s no one to spoil me or love me or dote on me, Iye!! I’m alone and I think that’s how it’s going to be and I’ll die with the face of an 18 year old!! Usually that’s supposed to be brilliant, right?! Something that everyone dies for?? To want to look young forever?? But that’s not how it works with us humans!! If I don’t get to kiss my soul mate, I’ll forever look like I’m 18!! It’s already hard to convince people that I’m older than I look!! And when they realise I’m actually older, you know what they do, Iye-ah?!”

His dramatically distraught eyes get Iye to let out a low meow, the same response he gives Ji Yong every time Ji Yong asks him that distraught question.

“Yes, Iye-ah!! They look at me with pity in their eyes while they’re nicely aging with their soul mates!! It makes me look like some sort of loser, you know?! I hate that. What’s there about me that is not to like?! Ahhhh!! I want to curl up and cry, Iye-ah!! I’m tired of dating just to kiss them and end up not looking like my age after some time!! I haven’t found my soul mate yet and I don’t think I ever will!!” He squeezes his eyes shut and lets out a tired wail, making Iye feel small bouts of pity for him, so he clambers out of his hold and positions himself against the wall that has the poster that Ji Yong thinks is a joke; a joke that enjoys mocking his situation.

Iye meows aloud to get Ji Yong’s attention which he slowly does as he meekly glances at Iye to see what he is up to. Iye makes a gesture of scratching at the wall and that gets Ji Yong chuckling as he walks over to where he is and takes him in his arms.

“High time I rip off that poster, don’t you think?”

Iye rubs his head against Ji Yong’s palm and Ji Yong feels at slight peace again until his phone starts to ring.

He frowns seeing Young Bae’s ugly photo he clicked light up his screen and immediately swipes to answer it.

“You better not be bailing on me, Dong Young Bae.” He deadpans.

“Jeez, we’re not! I just want to ask if you want us to pick up some dessert on the way or have you prepared that too?” Young Bae tries speaking over the music in the background.

With a raised eyebrow at the supposed insinuation, Ji Yong grips the phone tighter.

“Are you trying to indirectly say my desserts are bad or that I can’t cook them because I sure as hell can, ok—”

“Seung Ri, turn down the volume!!” Young Bae snaps, tiredly, his voice getting muffled by the background noise.

“Yah, Dong Young Bae! I was speaking to you.” Ji Yong adds to get his attention back to him.

“Oh my God, yes, Ji Yong, I heard you! No, you’re brilliant at desserts and I did not mean it that way.” He clarifies, sounding exasperated already.

“Now that’s a complete exaggeration! I know I’m not brilliant—” Ji Yong tries explaining only to get cut off by Young Bae whose voice is now clearer.

“Ji Yong, we’ll be there in about 10 minutes, yeah?”

Breaking from his want to defend, he glances at the clock and realises it is almost time for everyone to come over for dinner. They are all supposed to be there by 8:30ish but he is very well-aware of how his other hyung is definitely not going to adhere to that and will try to compensate for his tardiness by bringing in some of his posh wine. Sighing and threading his fingers through his thick mop of hair, he gets back to the call.

“You better be here in 10 minutes. Your guest is there too, right?” He clarifies while heading towards the kitchen.

“You mean Seung Ri. Yes, he’s here with us too. Our guest isn’t acting like one at the moment since he’s making it seem like he owns our car!” Chuckles can be heard in the background and Ji Yong grins lightly at the situation Young Bae is in.

“Alright, I’m glad he’s there because I did not cook extra for nothing. I—” He is interrupted by a honk in the background and Young Bae’s quick, “I’ll see you soon, yeah? Bye.”

Ji Yong places his phone on the countertop and glances at Iye who is staring at him at the kitchen’s doorway.

“He’s rude.” He comments with a smile and a huge part of him than he would like to admit is excited about having his favourite people all together at his place.

Including that guest.

Seung Ri.

+ + +

Ji Yong glances at the clock and lets out an annoyed sigh.

The lighting is perfect. Beautiful instrumental music wafts throughout the apartment. The dining table is all arranged. The food is kept warm and ready in the kitchen. The drinks are ready to be opened and served as they sit by the cabinet.

But the only thing missing are the people he invited and he sure as hell overestimated all of their punctuality.

It is 8:45 and no one is here.

“And Young Bae said they’d be here in 10 minutes. Forgotten to read time, has he?” He mutters, crossing his arms against his chest and leaning back into the recliner, just when the doorbell rings.

Fixing his appearance one last time, he walks to his door and opens it.

“You. Are. Late.” He welcomes, eyes focusing on the bashful yet not so bashful grins on Dae Sung and Young Bae. He did not know Dae Sung joined them too.

“Ah, hyung! Sorry! I just caught up with Young Bae hyung and noona downstairs. They were introducing me to Seung Ri.” Dae Sung clarifies, gesturing to the man by his side whose deep brown eyes are watching Ji Yong and only making absolutely brief eye-contact with him; Ji Yong turns his attention to his tardy best friend and his wife.

“You said you’d be here in 10 minutes.”

“Yeah, and we were here in 10 minutes but then we met Dae Sung and we just had to stop for a conversation.” Young Bae tries embracing Ji Yong only to have him raise a pointed eyebrow at him as he steps back, hands crossed against his chest.

“You could’ve informed. You know how I hate tardiness!” Ji Yong whines, earning a chuckle from Hyo Rin who successfully hugs him and he returns the hug with a warm smile lilting on his lips.

“Hey, noona!” He greets her as they pull back and she kisses his cheek.

“Hey, yourself! I’m off the hook, right?”

Ji Yong chuckles and nods his head to which Hyo Rin pats Young Bae’s shoulder, whispering a “Good luck!” at him and heads inside.

“Yeah, as I was saying—”

Young Bae cuts off Ji Yong as he playfully rolls his eyes.

“Yes, you were saying you hate tardiness but you aren’t that punctual yourself, buddy.” He points out, a prominent smirk on his face and Dae Sung sniggers at that.

Ji Yong fake gasps as he quirks an eyebrow at Young Bae, one hand resting on his hip.

“Excuse me?”

“Yeah, you also do take your own sweet time, Ji Yong. You were late for dinner at my place by half an hour once, remember?”

“That was once! I—” Ji Yong gets interrupted when Young Bae puts one of his hands on Ji Yong’s shoulder and the other on Seung Ri’s shoulder, whose presence has Ji Yong completely baffled and speechless, making him meekly yet somehow confidently finally stare into Seung Ri’s deep swirls of browns that are watching him with amusement.

Sweet mother of everything that is holy, this man is the living definition of what Ji Yong will say is attractive. Dressed in a black dress shirt that fits his body just right with trousers that look snug and perfect for a lower body like that, his catlike lips lilt upwards in response to Ji Yong’s not so subtle checking out of his appearance, and slicking back his hair, he offers his hand in greeting to a very stunned Ji Yong whose cheeks are bathing in a mellow pink.

“Hi, I’m Lee Seung Ri. Young Bae hyung has told me a lot about you.” He greets with a smile so radiant and his voice causes havoc inside Ji Yong. This is not the first time he is standing in the presence of someone who is immensely attractive because, oh, please, give Ji Yong some credit! All his exes have been great lookers. But none of them have made him feel so fuzzy and alert yet comfortable and well-appreciated the way Seung Ri is staring at him as if he is the most beautiful person he has ever come across.

‘You’re over-thinking this, Ji Yong! You’re too desperate, Ji Yong!’ His inner voice reasons with him and hating the possible accuracy of that voice, he extends his hand for a handshake which is firm and warm and Ji Yong does not understand how else to interpret Seung Ri’s gaze if it is not based on the lines of his earlier thoughts.

Composing himself, he gently pulls away from the handshake and clasps his hands behind his back while flashing Seung Ri a welcoming smile. He hopes he does not appear as bashful as he is feeling.

“Hi, Seung Ri. I’m Kwon Ji Yong and I hope Young Bae has told you good things about me.” Nervously chuckling towards the end, he subtly nudges Young Bae’s arm with his elbow, making Young Bae take great pleasure in how conscious Ji Yong is feeling at the moment.

“Oh, yes! I told him about how much of a diva you’re, how dramatic you can be, how demanding, how defensive, and what not! Seung Ri-ah knows it all, don’t you, Ri?” Winking at Seung Ri who only shakes his head and grins in return, he teasingly gives Ji Yong, who is shell-shocked and is glaring at him, a half-hug and then walks inside along with a chuckling Dae Sung who only mutters a not so apologetic “Sorry, hyung.” as he passes by.

Oh, Ji Yong is going to slaughter Young Bae for this humiliation! He knows he might not see Seung Ri again but first impressions matter so much!!

Ugh.

Rubbing his nape at the awkwardness of the situation, Ji Yong meekly giggles and looks up at Seung Ri who is already smiling warmly at him and causing a million butterflies to flutter inside Ji Yong’s belly. Damn, this boy is affecting him way too much!

Clearing his throat, his thumb gestures to his apartment and back at Seung Ri, making him raise an eyebrow at him amusedly.

“You know—um, Young Bae was just kidding. You know that, right?” He stutters, unsurely, trying to save face as much as he can. Seung Ri teasingly turns serious and nods in agreement.

“Oh, yeah. Totally. Besides, you’re cute.”

“Ah, thank God! Wait—what?!” Ji Yong’s cheeks turn the warmest shade of pink as he realises what Seung Ri has said and he remains rooted to his spot with his eyes wide and poor heart beating vehemently while Seung Ri’s sweet giggles and citrus-y scent wash over him as he walks past him and into the apartment.

If only Ji Yong could see Seung Ri’s face he’d know that Seung Ri truly meant what he said.

+ + +

Composing himself a little, he pats his warm cheeks to rid away the obvious blush.

“He was just being nice, Ji Yong. He was just being nice.” Repeating the whispered words like a mantra, Ji Yong is about to head inside and shut the door when the elevator stops on his floor and dings open. The sight of a tall man clad in a grey suit with hair gelled back makes Ji Yong let out a long sigh.

“Of course.” He mutters, rolling his eyes at his hyung who is smiling unabashedly at him.

“Hey, Ji Yong!” Calling out to him and receiving an unenthusiastic wave in return, Seung Hyun walks his way over with a chic black paper bag dangling on his arm. Ji Yong does not even have to guess what is in that.

“You’re late, hyung, but it’s okay this time. The others got late too.” He smiles at him and opens the door wider to let him in. Seung Hyun chortles happily and Ji Yong grins behind his dork of a hyung as they walk through the short hallway.

“But at least I got wine to make up for it.” Seung Hyun turns back and winks, causing Ji Yong to roll his eyes fondly.

“Of course, it sets you apart from the rest.” He comments dryly which Seung Hyun does not take offence to as he brings out the wine from the bag.

“And it’s not just any wine, Ji Yong. It’s Chateau d’Yquem, Sauternes.” He emphasises, trying his best to deliver it with as much suave as his French accent can while Ji Yong openly cringes.

“That’s great, but before you meet the rest, I better give you a head’s up. We’ve a guest too.” Ji Yong informs, standing in front of Seung Hyun and crossing his arms against his chest.

“So?” Seung Hyun clarifies, gently placing the bottle back inside the bag.

“Be on your best behaviour?” Pointing a watchful finger at him, Ji Yong enters the living room not before snorting at Seung Hyun’s, “Hey!”

“Guys!” He calls out to grab their attention and Iye jumps out of Hyo Rin’s arms and walks over to rest near Seung Ri’s feet. They turn to Ji Yong and he claps his hands; it is time to get this dinner rolling.

“Look who finally showed up with his bottle of wine!” He hoots and they all laugh and clap as Seung Hyun enters the living room, all bows and smiles.

“And not just any wine, you guys, it’s—” He begins, only to get cut off by Ji Yong’s sass.

“Chateau d’Yquem, Sauternes.” He accentuates with poise and Seung Hyun playfully glares at him for stealing his light.

“Yes, and also—” He tries again but Young Bae beats him to it.

“—it’ll be lovely if you uncork the bottle and serve us some, don’t you think, hyung?” They chuckle at the pout Seung Hyun lets out as he gives them all a stink eye.

“Hey! Why are you guys picking on me?! Even you all were late! At least I got us damn fine wine!” Complaining, he gets out the bottle of wine and lets out a squeak when Dae Sung pushes him to the kitchen.

“Yes, you did, and we would like to taste the damn fine wine before you get ahead of yourself and begin taking us down its history.” Dae Sung points out, making Seung Hyun stick his tongue out at him and flash the middle finger to everyone else who grin and giggle at the scene until Seung Hyun halts next to Seung Ri and looks him in the eye. Noticing the pause, Young Bae is about to introduce them to each other when Seung Ri smiles friendlily at Seung Hyun and offers his hand in greeting.

“Hi, I’m Lee Seung Ri.”

Seung Hyun glances at his hand, then his face, and warmly shakes his hand.

“So you’re the guest. I’m Choi Seung Hyun. Who do you know amongst us?” He smiles at Seung Ri and the air gets comfortable around them.

“I came with Young Bae hyung and Hyo Rin noona. My house is under renovation and they insisted I stay with them.”

“Oh, so what do you do?”

“I’m a bank manager. What about you?”

“I’m an art critic and collector. If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?”

Seung Ri chuckles at that and Ji Yong leans against the wall, loving the sound of his chuckles. He is aware that even Seung Ri has not found his soul mate because even though it is rude to blatantly ask the age of a person, judging from how young he looks, he definitely has not found a soul mate and Ji Yong feels for him. He wonders how Seung Ri looks at his life and what his thoughts about the whole soul mate fiasco are.

“I’m 25 actually. What about you?”

“I’m 28 and haven’t found a soul mate. Get it?” He chortles at his lame attempt of a rhyme and pats Seung Ri’s shoulder, who is grinning at him amusedly.

“Also, Ji Yong told me to be on my best behaviour so, don’t worry, I won’t hassle you too much. I think he wants to make an impression.” Winking, he leans back and heads to the kitchen with a surprised Dae Sung while Young Bae and Hyo Rin raise an eyebrow at Ji Yong as they smirk at him and he honestly does not know where to look because even at that embarrassing moment, Seung Ri’s deep browns have him entranced with a skyrocketing heartbeat especially after he smiles knowingly at him and heads over to the balcony.

Clearing his throat and desperately hoping his heating flustered cheeks will calm the hell down, he lets out a breath and hastily glances in Young Bae’s and Hyo Rin’s direction only to find Young Bae wiggling his eyebrows at him. God, he needs to get out of here and get busy before he starts losing his over everything Lee Seung Ri!

“Alright, let me get those appetisers ready.” He mumbles, quickly walking into the kitchen. Seung Hyun is carefully pouring wine into the last glass when he looks up and offers Ji Yong a little wine in another glass.

“I want the host to get a taste of this delicacy—” Ji Yong snatches the glass and downs the wine even before Seung Hyun can finish his sentence, making the latter let out an aghast squeak.

Ji Yong’s nose scrunches at the mellow yet strong aftertaste and he timidly puts down the glass after seeing Seung Hyun’s expression of disappointment.

“You were supposed to relish each sip, Ji Yong, my God! You guys don’t have proper wine culture, it’s so embarrass—” Dae Sung sends Ji Yong an ‘I have got this smile’ as he tugs him out of the kitchen mid-sentence. Resting his hands on the countertop, Ji Yong takes in a few deep breaths as he tries calming down this intense rush of feelings that he is experiencing. He has not felt like this in forever and he wonders what it even means. Clearly he is attracted to Seung Ri and he is going crazy about it. His body is reacting strongly at every gesture Seung Ri does and it is worse when it is aimed at him and he honestly needs some more of that wine to see through this clearly but he knows if he dares to drink any more of that wine, Seung Hyun will cry out of disappointment, so he grudgingly stops himself.

“Hey.”

Young Bae’s calm voice has a teasing edge to it and Ji Yong rolls his eyes knowing what is coming. He does not want to talk about it, especially with Young Bae for now, so he begins plating the Garlicky Appetiser Shrimp Scampi that he made.

“Ji Yong? You need any help?” Young Bae prods further, coming by his side and placing the wine glasses on a tray.

“Yeah, um, could you serve the wine, please?” He says, his eyes not lifting to meet Young Bae’s curious ones. It is quiet for a few seconds until Young Bae decides to voice out his inner-thought before it eats him up.

“Do you’ve a crush on Seung Ri?”

Ji Yong halts the plating at the question, only to quickly resume a few seconds later.

“No, I don’t.”

“You don’t sound very convincing, Ji.” Young Bae adds, pointedly.

Sighing because he has to deal with a pestering Young Bae either way, he looks him in the eye with the plate of appetisers resting on his hand.

“Look, he’s attractive, okay? I find him attractive, that’s all.” Ji Yong says as confidently as he can only to have Young Bae nod along, playfully.

“Now before you go all 21 questions on me, can you please serve the wine? We can’t be stalling dinner.” He adds, curtly, walking past Young Bae and heading for the balcony where the rest of them are.

“Ji Yong has always been such a terrible liar.” Young Bae snorts to himself as he catches up to Ji Yong.

+ + +

It is a pleasant night and the mellow bustling of the city below does little to halt the overflowing conversation and laughter of the 6 individuals who are seated around a table, enjoying the appetisers and wine that come their way. Ji Yong’s fingers thread through his hair as he laughs at a joke that Seung Ri cracks, only for his laughter to mellow into a shy smile as he is again locked in Seung Ri’s beautiful gaze that has been making him feel all mushy since the night began. He sits opposite Ji Yong, looking at him with wonder and appreciation in his eyes, and Ji Yong feels his body urging him to get near Seung Ri but just when he is about to entertain that thought, Dae Sung’s loud exclaim breaks that mood.

“Seung Ri-ah, you don’t know about how I found my soul mate, do you?”

His question has Seung Hyun let out a whine and Dae Sung just stares at him pointedly.

“What? The boy knows about Young Bae hyung and noona. Don’t you think he should know about me too?”

“But this is such a rubbing in the face sort of a thing! We all know this story!” Seung Hyun grumbles, sipping a little more of his wine. The rest of them chuckle at Seung Hyun’s misery because truth be told, even Ji Yong does not mind listening to it. He feels that hearing such stories from his closest friends help him keep hoping that his soul mate is out there and that he will find them.

Dae Sung turns to look at Seung Ri who seems quite interested to know about his story. Ji Yong smiles fondly at the curiosity that shines in his eyes. From the moment he met him and until now, he has noticed how the boy is willing for conversations and makes one feel as comfortable as possible while making conversation with him and the only reason why Ji Yong is in a dilemma to do that is because he is afraid that there are chances his heart will pop right out of his mouth if he talks to Seung Ri personally.

“You won’t find this insulting or anything like hyung says he finds it, right, Ri?” Dae Sung clarifies and Seung Ri just waves it off.

Grinning proudly and all ready to tell his story, Dae Sung clears his throat and begins.

“I had heard enough about soul mate stories courtesy of my elder sister ever since I was 13. She was dating at the time and strongly believed that the guy she was dating was definitely her soul mate and I believed so too. But as her 18th birthday kept approaching, the deciding day like we keep calling it, she began growing all the more anxious and so did her boyfriend. I had just turned 15 and was confused as hell regarding what this was about so I approached my mom a week before my sister’s 18th birthday and she sat me down to explain it all to me. She told me; and these were pretty much her words, “Son, each individual on this planet is blessed with a soul mate. I found mine. Your sister thinks she has found hers. You might find yours.” When she said “might”—” Double quoting the words in air for added emphasis; he glances around to see if he has all of their attention, and when he knows he does, he continues.

“—I was offended. Why would my mom say I might find my soul mate? I knew I would. I had to. But I let her continue knowing there was more to the story. So she said, “It’s a beautiful phenomenon, finding your soul mate, that is. Knowing that there’s a person out there who’s solely made for you, that this person is destined to be with you and if you two don’t meet, there’s always going to be some emptiness in you that no one can fill.” And I asked her a question like any other puzzled 15 years old, “But why? Why can’t two destined people meet? Isn’t that cruel?” She just nodded her head kindly and caressed my hair. “It is.” she said. “But even with each of us destined with a soul mate, the universe has its own way of working. We can only hope to find ours in our lifetime.” “And how do we know if someone is our soul mate?” I asked her. “You’ll know when you see them. There’re no definite feelings that are associated to finding a soul mate since it is very subjective but you’ll know. But there’s only one way to give you the biggest reveal.” She whispered like some wise guru and I was all ears.

““And what’s that, eomma?” I questioned. “See, my child, love is not forceful. Love does not happen through coercion. Love is gentle and wraps you up like a warm embrace. Just because you’ve a soul mate out there doesn’t mean that you can’t date other people. Through this process, you might even get a chance to meet your soul mate. And how will you know? That’s easy. You, my love, will continue aging according to your age until you’re 18. Your aging externally after that solely depends on whether you’ve found your soul mate or not. When you kiss your soul mate is when the universe sees it as a sign of acceptance and you and your soul mate begin aging together according to your respective ages, both internally and externally, until death do you part. Until you find your soul mate, you’ll always look like how you did when you were 18 though you’ll be aging internally.” She was so careful and parental with her words and I—”

“See that’s why this whole principle is so ed up.” Seung Hyun states, interrupting Dae Sung who rolls his eyes in response even though a sympathetic grimace lilts his lips.

“That’s what you say every time, hyung.” Young Bae adds, taking a sip of his wine.

“And I’ll continue saying that every time until I find my soul mate whether you guys like it or not. Call me selfish but I don’t want to end up dying alone because of a decision I’ll probably make where I won’t date anyone just because I can’t find my soul mate or end up in another scenario where I end up with someone who’s not my soul mate and what happens if I find out my soul mate way later? It’ll be such a waste. And I’m not very fond of the idea of having kids with someone who isn’t my soul mate. What if my kids end up finding their soul mate? It’s going to be such a joke since they’ll start looking their age while my partner and I will forever look like we’re 18. See, it’s ed up.”

Thick silence wafts around them as all their insecurities are stacked on the table. Ji Yong glances at Seung Hyun sipping on his wine and he sees he is apologetic yet conflicted and something in him really wants to voice out what he is feeling. Young Bae is watching him with slight concern, wondering whether what Seung Hyun said is giving him any sort of anxiety, so he just shoots him a reassuring smile and Young Bae relaxes. Ji Yong does not get triggered by these statements, he has venting sessions with Iye almost every day and he knows these possibilities.

Clearing his throat and rubbing his palms, he gathers his nerves and looks at Seung Ri who is watching the nearest buildings and sensing eyes on him, his gaze locks with Ji Yong’s. For the first time that night, Ji Yong initiates the conversation.

“If you want to know if Dae Sung’s sister’s boyfriend was her soul mate, no, he wasn’t. She found her soul mate at her workplace when she was 23. And Dae Sung? He fell in love when he was 16. He was madly in love with this girl and so was she with him. They were in the same class. When Dae Sung turned 18, yes, he was absolutely anxious and worried about what would come for him in the coming years. He wanted to know if she was the one. But do you know what promise he made to himself and her on the night of his 18th birthday? Dae?” Dae Sung smiles kindly at Ji Yong who gives him a reassuring nod.

“I told her no matter what, no matter if I aged externally or not, from this point on and forevermore, I would love only her. It was a chance I took and a chance I’m so glad I took. It turned out that she is my soul mate and we’ve been all the more inseparable and madly in love ever since. We both strongly believed in what we felt and truth be told, I always had a gut feeling that we’re meant to be. She’s now a travel journalist while I’m a music teacher and no difference has come in our way. Talks about marriage are on the table too.” He finishes, a broad and proud smile blooming on his face, making everyone smile at his happiness and they raise their glasses to that.

“Hyung?” Ji Yong calls out to Seung Hyun, who quirks an eyebrow at him.

“I know you aren’t a big fan of this and neither am I. We’re both on the same boat and there’s nothing more I want than finding my soul mate and there have been plenty of days I’ve whined and complained about not finding one. I’ve whined about how it doesn’t make any sense and how it’s just not fair. I’ve hurled curses at the universe and, trust me; I’m not a good parent because Iye has some heard some very colourful words over the years.”

Chuckles erupt from everyone and Seung Ri’s are the most alluring ones Ji Yong has ever heard as they cutely grin at each other. Glancing back at Seung Hyun, he finds him more relaxed with a look of understanding and he takes that as his cue to continue.

“So as I was saying, I’ve almost come to the point where I think it’s going to be only Iye and me against the world and that I’ll stitch him comfy clothes like the fashion designer that I’m. Yet, does all this stop me from hoping? From believing? When I’m caught in a moment of frustration, I’ll tell you a big fat yes, but otherwise, no. I won’t stop hoping and I won’t stop believing because I know that there is someone out there for me and I know there is someone out there for you and let’s hope we find them. And if we don’t? Well, let’s hope we find them whenever it is we’re destined to meet them and in the mean time, if we fall in love with someone, let’s just embrace it and live for that love. You’ve seen so many families who live just beautifully even though they aren’t soul mates. Young Bae’s and noona’s parents are examples.” Gesturing towards them, Young Bae and Hyo Rin nod, entangling their fingers together.

“You see, hyung, we can go on complaining how it’s all messed up and how it’s unfair but let’s just make the best of what we get, yeah?” Patting his shoulder with a smile of understanding and comfort, Ji Yong collects a few dishes and heads inside.

A familiar air of sweetness and hope envelopes them as they resume a little chatter and laughter until Seung Ri gets up and collects the leftover plates and glasses. Young Bae watches him with knowing eyes and approaches him, gently placing his hand on his arm.

“What’re you doing?” He teases but his eyes gleam in approval which makes Seung Ri blush a little and let out a shy smile.

“Helping Ji Yong hyung, that’s all.” Saying so, he heads inside, leaving Young Bae to shake his head fondly at what is happening.

+ + +

Humming to himself in the kitchen, Ji Yong happily sways around as he places the dishes on a large tray and adds some toppings to them. Letting out a pretty grin, his heart flutters in the rush of emotions he feels especially after initiating a conversation with Seung Ri even though it was not personal. That was a start at least and he is immensely glad he was able to open up and make Seung Hyun understand too. Sighing in the bliss of everything, he leans against the countertop and giggles as flashes of Seung Ri’s soft gaze on him and the handsomest of smiles aimed his way come to mind.

“Hi.”

The voice that has made him feel all jittery inside comes from in front of him and with his heart stuttering in its rhythm, he looks up and catches himself breathless at the sight of Seung Ri leaning against the entry to his kitchen. The lighting falling on him gives him an ethereal glow and his eyes swirl in emotions that are making Ji Yong’s fingers get a little fidgety as they rest on the countertop. Lips lilting into a warm and kind smile, Ji Yong responds with a sweet and shy smile of his own, his eyes going down to the tray that Seung Ri is carrying.

“Ah, you didn’t have to.” He begins, rushing over to Seung Ri to collect the tray, only for Seung Ri to side-step him with a grin as he walks over to the countertop and places the tray on it. He assumes the same stance Ji Yong was in while Ji Yong slowly walks over to the countertop and stands opposite him.

“But I wanted to help.” Seung Ri voices out and Ji Yong just cannot seem to grasp the overwhelming surge of feelings that are running through him. So he rests his hands on the countertop and acts relaxed, not wanting to let Seung Ri think he is anywhere near tense.

Seung Ri’s gaze, however, is too deep for his poor heart, and with a shy chuckle, he picks up the tray in front of Seung Ri and heads over to the sink so that they can be washed later. He really does not know why it is so hard to look at Seung Ri for longer than 3 seconds without feeling his heart is going to combust there and then. This is all so new for him and it is so overwhelming but he really does not want to lose this chance. He does not want to run away.

Taking a deep breath and trying to compose himself, he turns back to look at Seung Ri, only for his heart to melt at the sight of Iye purring in his hands as Seung Ri caresses and his baby who is peacefully nestled in his arms.

Gently walking over to him, he rests on his knees next to Seung Ri and watches him coo and giggle at Iye who is making himself comfortable in Seung Ri’s arms.

“You know, he’s not usually this friendly.” He says, his voice soft, and it perfectly blends with the moment.

Glancing at Ji Yong, who does not look away this time, the both of them smile coyly at each other as Seung Ri continues Iye’s head.

“To be honest, I’m not all that great with animals but I do love them. I mean, it’s so hard not to fall for an animal this cute and adorable, all curled up.” He replies and Ji Yong chuckles, nodding.

“True, and about Iye, he for sure is all cute and adorable now but he’s one spoilt sassy cat otherwise.”

“A spoilt sassy cat who patiently listens to your rants?” Seung Ri teases, making Ji Yong playfully swat his arm while giggling.

“Hey, he can be more dramatic than me!” Ji Yong pouts and Seung Ri laughs out loud at this bundle of cuteness that he was not expecting.

“But that was not what Young Bae hyung told me.” He presses, amusedly, and Ji Yong fakes offence.

“And I thought you said that wasn’t true. Besides, you said I’m cute.” Ji Yong points out, crossing his arms against his chest, and staring at Seung Ri defiantly.

Leaning closer, Ji Yong’s eyes widen and his hands tremble as he feels Seung Ri’s scent envelope him and he gets lost in his eyes that are watching him with amusement and fondness. ‘Wait, fondness?!’ Ji Yong’s mind works overtime until Seung Ri’s chuckle brings him out of his stupor. He is still leaning into his space and giving him a cheshire-like grin, he says, “And I’m not denying that.”

Winking at a still stupefied Ji Yong, he carefully stands and heads to the entry of the kitchen, not before turning to look back at him.

“I’ll put Iye back in his tower since he’s asleep. And one more thing, you’re not just cute. You’re absolutely gorgeous and I truly mean it.” He gives Ji Yong a sincere smile before leaving and Ji Yong finds it so hard to get up from the floor. Slowly raising himself, he places his palm on his heart and tries getting familiar with the smooth race that it is participating in along with the blush that is blooming in his cheeks.

He wants to chase this feeling that his heart is running to claim.

He wants to know what this is.

And by the end of the night, he will make sure he finds out, and with this acceptance, he grins in contentment and continues plating.

+ + +

Dinner goes about smoothly and the laughter and talks drown the clinking of the forks and the spoons and Ji Yong takes in the sight of the people sitting with him at the dining table with absolute adoration and joy. He is also really happy that they are relishing the food he prepared.

“I see you don’t have ravioli on your plate.”

Seung Ri’s voice gets Ji Yong staring at the man himself who is sitting opposite him, offering him the bowl of ravioli to serve himself from with a cheeky grin, making Ji Yong smile at him amusedly as he offers him his plate in return.

“Serve me some?” He suggests, teasingly, and chuckling at Ji Yong’s approach, Seung Ri takes his plate and begins serving him some of the ravioli. Ji Yong’s gaze hovers over Seung Ri’s sweet lips broadened into that pretty smile of his and the subtle movement of snapping fingers to Seung Ri’s right gets Ji Yong’s attention to waver and face Young Bae’s knowing eyes and wiggly eyebrows. Playfully rolling his eyes, he looks back at Seung Ri who is now offering his plate with the cutest smile Ji Yong has ever seen and it is doing nothing to stop his heart from fluttering.

Purposefully brushing his fingers with Seung Ri’s as he takes back his plate, he is about to playfully thank him but is cut off by Dae Sung placing the wine bottle at the far end of the table.

“Dae Sung-ah!” Seung Hyun whines from the other end of the table and Seung Ri stifles a laugh while everyone else watches the familiar scene unfold in jest. Everyone except Dae Sung.

“No, hyung! You’ve had enough of wine for tonight! I don’t want to take you home drunk!” He reprimands him and Seung Hyun pouts in response.

“You don’t have to drop me, I can stay—”

“Yeah, not happening. I’m not having your drunk settling here.” Ji Yong adds; making everyone except Seung Hyun burst out laughing. Glaring at Ji Yong in offence, Ji Yong only shrugs his shoulders and sends a playful wink his way to which Seung Hyun rolls his eyes.

“You see, Seung Ri, they’ve no respect for their hyung. Only you’re the good one to me here.” Seung Hyun drawls dramatically while Seung Ri quirks his eyebrow at the statement, amused to the fullest.

“Oh, please, Seung Hyun. Once he gets to know you damn well, he himself will keep the bottle away from you.” Hyo Rin comments.

“In fact, I was considering doing it.” Seung Ri pipes in and receives hoots and a pat on the back from Young Bae. Seung Hyun, however, continues looking at Seung Ri with calculative eyes.

“What’s your stance on soul mates?” He questions, completely out of the blue.

The cheers and excitement die down as they all glance at Seung Ri who is watching Seung Hyun contemplatively.

“What I think about soul mates? I think it’s a blessing. To know that there’s somebody specially made for you and that there’s nothing in the world that can destroy the relationship. I consider people who find their soul mates especially lucky, it must feel great to find their other halves and feel whole. But do you know what else I appreciate? I appreciate the little things of discovering who I can love. I do not let this whole principle of finding a soul mate primarily dictate my life. I like to take it as and when it comes and until then, I’ll live my life in a way that won’t make me regret that I lost chances later in the future. I believe and I hope I can find my soul mate but if I fall in love with someone before that, there’s no way I’m letting go.”

The sureness in his words is deeply pronounced as it overwhelms them all and Ji Yong finds himself unable to take his eyes off of Seung Ri as his heart races sporadically. Eyes locking with Ji Yong’s, Seung Ri gently smiles at him before resuming.

“I’m a man who clearly follows my instinct. I don’t go out there praying to find my soul mate but rather I hope that whoever I end up with will be someone who can love me as much as I love them. I’ll know when I talk to them, glance at them, be near them. It’s these small things that would help me realise who I want to be with. If it’s my soul mate I feel these things for, then lucky me. But if it is for someone who is apparently not destined to be with me, then I’m going to make sure I prove the universe wrong as I cherish the person I love like I would do to my soul mate. In fact, facing obstacles together and moving past them in a regular relationship seems so much more genuine than destined soul mates who have it easier, don’t you think? All that matters at the time you take your last breath is that you know you’ve lived your life well and have cherished the person you’ve fallen in love with, that’s what I believe.”

If Seung Ri’s words made a profound impact earlier, there is nothing that can compare to the impact it has made now. His unwavering gaze of sheer earnestness still rests on Ji Yong and Ji Yong can feel the intensity of what his words are making him feel. They are speaking to him and his body pulsates from within with his heart in sync with the overpowering emotions that are overwhelming him. Deep realisation dawns on him as his eyes glisten at the sight of Seung Ri, an appreciative smile lilting his lips.

He now knows of only one name that is ringing through him, one name that makes him feel alive.

Seung Ri.

And he knows he is in too deep.

+ + +

Ji Yong tries containing all his feelings as they continue enjoying the rest of the night and the topics of conversation are more light and funny. There are plenty of drunk stories about Seung Hyun that they share and Young Bae tells them how Seung Ri and he had a dance-off once when they were drunk at Young Bae’s dance studio. Even with the calming presence of the others and the amusing drift of conversation, Ji Yong and Seung Ri often get lost in each other’s eyes until it gets too much and they look away. There is so much that is being said without words and Ji Yong needs to remind himself to stay rooted and not flush away.

It is a little past midnight when they decide to call it a night and head back home. Ji Yong feels highly conflicted because on one hand, he really wants to talk about what he is feeling with Seung Ri, and on the other, he is nervous to address his feelings because what if he has been reading it wrong all this while? Leaning against the wall, he watches his closest friends chuckle with each other, a grimace forming on his face at the sight of watching them leave which turns into a frown at the thought of whether Seung Ri and he will ever hang out again, and all these thoughts rub on him negatively. Deep inside, he knows there is something Seung Ri and he need to talk about but they never got a chance to talk about it.

“Bye bye, Yongie-ah! We love you!” Seung Hyun sing-songs after he pecks Ji Yong’s cheek, making him laugh and cringe at the same time, and Dae Sung maintains a good hold on Seung Hyun as he is almost drunk and swaying around. He hugs Ji Yong and thanks him for the dinner after which he leaves with a very giddy Seung Hyun.

“Well, tonight was lovely. Thanks for having us over, Ji!” Hyo Rin pecks his cheek and he grins at her.

“I’m glad you all came over. It was a pleasure having you here although Young Bae could’ve had the courtesy to inform me that you guys were going to be a little late.” He sasses at Young Bae who nudges his arm with his elbow.

“You wait, best friend, I’ll begin keeping a tab too. Just you wait.” He comments as they hug each other, the brightest smiles on their faces.

Maintaining a confident stance, Ji Yong turns to look at Seung Ri, only to end up fumbling what he is about to say as he gets lost in the way the other is looking at him.

Seung Ri turns to Young Bae who is watching them with a look of understanding while Hyo Rin smiles encouragingly at Seung Ri.

“Hyung, can noona and you wait for me at the parking lot? I promise I won’t take too long. I just want to have a word with Ji Yong hyung.”

His words bring a smile to Ji Yong’s face and he feels more at ease because no matter the nature of the conversation, they are at least going to talk things out, and Ji Yong feels immense relief that Seung Ri needs this too.

“Ji Yong.” He tells Seung Ri, softly, and his loving eyes rest on Ji Yong, looking at him questioningly.

“Call me Ji Yong.” He informs him, a shy grin on his face, and Seung Ri beams at the implication. Bidding good bye to Young Bae and Hyo Rin, who fail at being subtle as they flash him excited smiles in return, he giggles to himself as he walks to his balcony and lets himself fall in love with the little things around him like the view of the city’s lights twinkling around like stars handmade on earth.

“Ji Yong…” Seung Ri’s voice gently calling out to him blends with the peace of the night, making Ji Yong lean against the railing of the balcony as he turns to face him, and, oh, what a sight to see Seung Ri is. The dim lighting of the apartment and the moonlight from outside fall over him so generously as he leans against the doorway to the balcony, a beautiful coy smile adorning his face.

Ji Yong thinks he might even be in love, after all, and he has given up questioning if this is even normal.

“Hi…” He gushes, his cheeks heating up as Seung Ri enters the balcony, one hand rubbing his nape.

“Ji Yong, I—”

“I just—”

They speak at the same time and laugh at the coincidence. They sound lovely together, their laughter creating a harmony of its own, and feeling the initial nervousness breaking away slowly, Seung Ri steps closer until he stands opposite Ji Yong, and the twinkles in their eyes are all they can care about at this moment.

“Do you want to go first?” Seung Ri offers, politely, to which Ji Yong cutely shakes his head to decline.

Chuckling to himself, Seung Ri bravely reaches out to hold Ji Yong’s hand, making Ji Yong let out a slight gasp at the warmth he feels, and as though their hands have always meant to be together, it entwines perfectly and stays between them. The both of them cannot take their eyes off of each other, and in the quiet of the night, their hearts are singing out loud in sync.

“Do you feel it?” He whispers at an awestruck Ji Yong who only slowly nods his head, eyes never leaving Seung Ri’s.

“It’s overwhelming.” He replies, just as softly.

“Yes, it is. I’ve never felt this way for anybody, Ji Yong. Just laying my first sight on someone and feeling that this is the person I’ve been waiting for all along. Just hearing them talk and feeling that that’s the only sound I wish to hear or hearing them laugh and wishing to be the reason for it whenever I can. It’s a need that I feel of just wanting to be next to the person and making the best of each moment I’ve with them. These feelings are so new to me, Ji Yong, and I strongly feel them for you.”

Shifting closer, Ji Yong takes Seung Ri’s other hand and entwines their fingers, his eyes glistening the whole time he takes in the sincerity on Seung Ri’s face and the gravity of his words.

“I honestly couldn’t understand what these feelings meant but every time you laughed or you cracked a joke or talked or smiled or whatever you did, Seung Ri, I’ve been nothing but drawn to you. At first I thought it was mere attraction but then who am I kidding when I haven’t felt like this towards anyone in my past who I’ve actually been highly attracted to? This is deep and way beyond anything vain that every time you look at me, you talk to me, nothing has felt more right, and it perplexes me. It did take me a lot of courage to stand before you like this and bare my soul out to you but even this moment feels so right.” He confesses and Seung Ri gives their hands a comforting tug, making Ji Yong know that he is in this as much as Ji Yong is.

Letting go of a hand, he gently pushes back a little tuft of Ji Yong’s hair, his hand tenderly cupping his cheek, and Ji Yong leans into his palm. Seung Ri’s heart flutters at the action and Ji Yong is as flustered as he is.

“I’m not into labelling what this could mean, Ji Yong. From the moment I saw you, I knew my heart was calling out to you. Deep inside me, it feels like you’re the one, and that’s a feeling I never want to let go. Whether you’re my soul mate or not, I know you’re the one I want to love and I will love you endlessly.” He utters his promise and Ji Yong knows his words hold the truth for he too does not want to ever let go. Entangling his arms around Seung Ri’s neck, he leans closer until their foreheads are touching, and his eyes shut at the bliss of feeling Seung Ri’s arms wrap around his waist.

No one’s arms have ever made him feel so comfortable.

So at peace.

So much like home.

Carefully opening his eyes for it is the eyes of the man he is coming to love and appreciate is what he wants to see, he watches the deep browns pouring out love and promises to him and he knows this is what he wants.

This is what he has been waiting for.

“Remember you said during dinner that you’d cherish the one you love? That you’d cherish them for life?” He whispers, his gaze unwavering, and Seung Ri’s nod gives him all the answers.

“Then cherish me.” He says; his voice loving and meaningful.

“There’s nothing I’ve wanted more.” Seung Ri responds, his tone overwhelmed, before he leans in and claims Ji Yong’s soft lips into a kiss of the tenderness of a love so pure and beautiful that they will always cherish.

No matter how they look tomorrow, whether they begin looking their age or not, this is the path they have chosen and they only want to face it together.

Until death do them part.

+ + +

1 month later

Laughter and squeals resonate from the room that used to be not so very alive and Iye plainly sits in front of the locked door, waiting for his dad or his dad’s boyfriend to open the door for him and just let him in.

Inside the room, Ji Yong’s gummy smile is on full display with his hair splayed over the pillow and he bursts out laughing when Seung Ri again aims pecks on his navel while tickling his sides.

“Ah!! Seung Ri, stop!!” He pleads between splutters, only to receive a mischievous smile from where the raven-haired man is, y in his morning look with a shade of stubble dusting his face.

“You weren’t complaining when I was down here last night.” He speaks into Ji Yong’s navel, causing Ji Yong to shriek with laughter at the sensation and gently thwack Seung Ri’s head.

“And you weren’t complaining about my loud moans either when you were ramming into me.” Ji Yong winks, only to receive a groan from Seung Ri as he comes up and kisses the hell out of Ji Yong. Ji Yong giggles after Seung Ri pecks him one last time, rubbing their noses affectionately with the happiest grins on their faces.

“You know how I get when you talk so unfiltered.” Seung Ri whines, laying back on the bed while Ji Yong rests on his chest.

“And that is exactly one of my charms.” He pecks Seung Ri’s cheek and the man laughs at his lover, wrapping an arm around him.

A comfortable silence wafts around them as they get lost in thoughts about each other until Seung Ri snorts while pointing at Ji Yong’s poster.

“You wanted to rip that off, remember?” He says, amusedly.

Ji Yong grins reminiscently at the memory and nods.

“Yep, but I still believed I would find my soul mate.” He glances at Seung Ri and they share similar teasing grins.

“And you did. That very same day.” Seung Ri comments, gently tilting Ji Yong’s chin and leaning closer.

The twinkle in Ji Yong’s eyes sparkle as he whispers happily, “And I’m so glad I did.” before they kiss lovingly and pull away.

“And Young Bae hyung still takes credit for bringing us together.” Seung Ri laughs while Ji Yong playfully rolls his eyes.

“He can take all the credit he wants but the both of us are meant to be.” Ji Yong states, sweetly, making Seung Ri peck his forehead.

“Yes, we are.”