The Hirai

Ransomed Fiancée

Chaeyoung


 

It had been a month since I resigned and there was nothing going much. Since I'd gone, Mina was also expectedly to leave the company and she did. It was surprisingly approved by the Chairman. After our date, I planned to take her out and continue with our public facade. But, the Chairman didn't plant any eye to follow and watch us. This contractual agreement with Miss Myoui had its own repercussion. This wasn't what I expected, none of this. Maybe I shouldn't come with the high risked gamble. I was starting to think that this whole plan failed miserably and it seemed that Mina was also shared the same thought, but she chose to keep quiet. I had find her a new high paid job for the worst that might happened, though I refused to believe it. I had come this far, all of the effort and the title I dreamed of. It couldn't be.
 

 

And I was proven right. A flicker of hope arrived this morning, through email and mail box.
 

 

'The Hirai are cordially invited Miss Son and Miss Myoui to a House Party. Hosted by Mrs Eri and Mr Kimi. Sunday, March 7th 6:30 PM. Hirai's Residence.'
 

 

The Hirai. One of the top shareholders of the Son Group. The Chairman founded the business but it was financed by the Hirai in the earliest years. They rarely involved themselves in the Son Group's affair and management. However, a certain important decision would require their approval, including the decision for the next heiress. Their words weren't final but it would greatly affect the board members.
 

 

The Hirai conquered tourism industry with their companies having their own cruise line, airline, and hotels. It was a family run business and operated the company on two fundamental principles: family and integrity. They were extremely particular when it came to their client base. The Hirai's company was family-oriented. The entire family was involved with the operation. His wife and children, even their spouses worked there. They had picnics and dinners for their staff and their families. They paid well; they treated them well. Their clients loved them. Getting hired there was difficult since it was rare for anyone to leave.
 

 

The Hirai founder, Mr Yuuto passed away twenty-five years ago then it was handed  to his son Mr Tomio. Their business grew globally during his times but he deceased after several years. Now the Hirai was led by the grandchildren, Mr Tomio's eldest daughter; Mrs Eri as the president and Mr Kimi, her husband as the vice president.
 

 

"I've heard about them but never meet them personally" Mina uttered, scrolling the article on the computer screen while I added any unmentioned details about the Hirai. I rubbed the edge of my brow and leaned forward, placing my hand on top of hers that held the mouse. She snatched her hand back, probably out of surprise. I growled and pulled her hand, placed it back to the mouse, my hand on top of hers. This time she wasn't resisting which saved both of us from useless argument. I guided the mouse to the search bar and typed a different article for her to gain more knowledge about them.
 

 

"The Chairman and Mr Tomio was an acquaintance. During his mid-twenties, the Chairman needed fund to expand his business and the Hirai offered to help. They never directly engaged with the Son Group management and only sent a representative. You can only see them in the annual board meeting which regular employees aren't allowed to attend. The Hirai may inactive but anything they say is impactful" I explained, crossing my arms and walked to the edge of the table, leaning against it. She nodded while her gaze busied scanning the biography. She was trying to familiarize with the Hirai lineage. "You might have seen them in the Golden Rose event." I added.
 

 

She hummed lowly as if she recognised them by their pictures. "They had witnessed the rumoured incident, the whole thing that happened" her voice was weak and heavy. I knew from her that the Chairman had personally apologized about the incident as he admitted himself that he was the one who released the article. Obviously, Mina was shocked and felt betrayed although she didn't say so. The Chairman told her that the article had been deleted in every site and kept his reason to himself. I'd explained to Mina that he might caused the incident to test our relationship and she seemed to understand. A kind-hearted person she usually was, she forgave the Chairman without hesitant. But, the topic still circulating around from mouth to mouth and she was still affected by it.
 

 

I clicked my tongue, held her chair and turned it towards me. Her head hung low as she refused to meet my eyes. I raised her chin, "Mina, this house party is a private and closed event. They send a special invitation because we are not family members. There won't be a lot of people there, even better no media. There will be only the Hirai and all the family members gathering. I know them that much. They are kind people" She sighed. I went through the email again. It was too coincidental. I wasn't unintelligent enough to notice the pattern. The Hirai never invited any of the Son Group's staff to their house party. It usually participated by the Hirai only and no outsiders were allowed.
 

 

"This invitation can be the Chairman's agenda or it can be from the Hirai themselves." I concluded. "The circumstance changed, hence we need a new plan and adapt to this"
 

 

"I don't understand" She looked up.


 

"The Chairman accept our resignation but this invitation soon come. He is highly likely to entrust us or me specifically to the Hirai. He knows that the Hirai main fundamental are family, love, virtue. We have to gain the Hirai's trust. Once they approved us, the situation will be in our favour. The Chairman hasn't completely believe in our relationship but he doesn't want to let us go either. He is conflicted. And we need the Hirai to be on our side as of for now. It will greatly beneficial for me since they have power over half of the board members" I smirked.
 

 

It made sense now. The Chairman couldn't make his own decision thus he handed the matter to the Hirai. They were the next in line after the Chairman since the Hirai held great authority in the Son Group. I had to work under them. Once they acknowledge my credibility and my relationship with Mina, half of the board members would be on my side. I had massive supports behind my back.
 

 

Now, it wasn't the Chairman that became the obstacles that I needed to walk through but the Hirai.








 

*  *  *  *

I extended my hand, helping Mina from the car. She wore a simple floral pastel dress and a necklace along with a cream purse. She applied little to none make-up but her eyes somehow gotten brighter and more brilliant. Her skin was soft and pale, flawless with a pinkish cheeks. Hair tied into a messy bun. It was a modest appearance for a house party and I was satisfied with it.
 

 

Her eyes huge in her face as she took in the extraordinary house and grounds. Even I was impressed. The Hirai estate home was lavish. "Try to control your emotions" I murmured, tugging her close, hoping it appeared natural. She didn't fight me leaning her body into mine as the valet drove off with my car. "You need to relax."
 

 

She looked at me with a frown. "Maybe you're used to this sort of opulence Chaeyoung. But I'm not and my first experience wasn't that nice" Her gaze moved around rapidly; panic beginning to show on her face. I remembered the Golden Rose event, it really wasn't a good exposure for her into this new environment. "I don’t belong here" she whispered. "They're going to see right through this sham"
 

 

I guided her jaw to face me, so I could meet her eyes. "No, they aren't" I hissed, glancing around before fixing my blazer. "I'm going to stay beside you, and we're going to act as if we're in love. Everyone here will think I chose you and us over my career, and youdamn it, are going to act as though you ing adore me. Got it?" She tilted her head up, uncertainty written all over her face. I softened my voice. "You can do this, Mina. I know you can. We both need this to work."
 

 

She looked over my shoulder. "Mrs Eri is coming over."
 

 

"Then it's show time, Sweetheart. I'm going to kiss you and you're going to act as though you like it. Pretend I just gave you a gift. In fact, I'll give you one if you pull off this first meeting with the Hirai." For a second nothing changed. Then her gaze became determinedand she beamed at me. The expression transformed her face from merely pretty to beautiful. The change caught me off guard and I stared down at her, surprised at my thoughts.
 

 

"Chaeyoung!" she exclaimed. "You're so nice" To say I was shocked when she reached up, threading her fingers through my hair and yanking my mouth to hers would be an understatement. I recovered quickly, holding her tight and kissing her far too passionately for such a public place. When I heard the clearing of a throat behind me, I smiled against and drew back. She stared at me then as if it was the most natural thing in the world, touched my lips. "Passion pink isn't your color" she teased, wiping my mouth.

 

 

I dropped another kiss on her lips. "I told you to stop wearing that lipstick. I'm only going to kiss it off anyway." Keeping my arm around her, I turned to greet Mrs Eri. "Sorry, Mina is easily excited." I smirked. "And who am to resist?"
 

 

She smiled, extending her hand then introduce me to her sister, Ms Hana. Mrs Eri was a tall woman and stood with confidence. Her golden hair swept into an elegant bun. She was grace personified. Beside her was her sister, a warm person. Her eyes was inviting and she welcomed us with a glee. I, in return introduced Mina as my fiancée, smiling as she blushed and greeted both of them. "You must tell me what really excited you that much, Miss Myoui?" Ms Hana smiled at her. It seemed that she had taken a liking on Mina which wasn't surprising at all.
 

 

"Chaeyoung just told me about an unexpected gift. She's constantly surprising me. Please drop the honorifics. Mina is fine"
 

 

"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman." I chiped in, inserting myself in their conversation. Mina rolled her eyes and Ms Hana chuckled. Reaching out, she hooked arms with Mina, tugging her away. "Come, let me introduce you to my younger sister. Momo is anticipating you although she probably forget about it now because of the buffet. We will find her in the dinning area. Now, what is this gift Chaeyoung gave you" Following behind, I listened carefully, wondering what she would decide. I hadn't given her; Jewelry? A trip? Those were the extravagant gifts the women I dated liked to receive. Once again, Mina surprised me. "Chaeyoung made a generous donation to the 'God Littlest Angels' where I volunteer. I had told her I was afraid they may close up due to lack of funds."


 

Ms Hana glanced over her shoulder with a wide grin. "What a lovely gesture, Chaeyoung. My sisters will match your donation. All of us always has a soft spot for children"
 

 

Mina gasped. "Oh,you don't have to do that!"


 

Ms Hana hugged her arm. "Of course, we do. How long have you been volunteering there?"


 

I spoke up; thankful for the lists we'd made and the fact I had a good memory. "Three years. She's been named Volunteer of the Year twice."
 

 

Ms Hana's expression showed pure surprise and admiration before she turned to her sister. "How wonderful! Eri-chan, can you write out a check for Mina when you're talking to Chaeyoung later?" Those words encouraged me. If she was going to talk to me in private, I hoped it meant what I thought it did.
 

 

Mrs Eri smiled at her. "I will, pumpkin"
 

 

I had planned to stay close with Mina, but it seemed my plans were thwarted at every turn. I was introduced to Mrs Eri's husband; Mr Kimi as well as their eldest son Itsumi and their daughter Rina. Mr Kimi's sister; Kazueand her husband Mr Nao and their only child. Mina and I were seperated. Ms Momo was excited to meet her. She was average height, attractive with raven hair and radiating a positive energy.
 

 

Standing next to her, was Ms Momo's girlfriend. The woman resembled the adaption of the blood- creature vampire as she was pale with dark red hair, black eyes, bloody lips. A white coat hung around her arms as she had just arrived. We spared a look and she raised her brows, probably questioning my presence. I waved my hand, signalling her to meet me later and she understood. That woman had been so preoccupied with her responsibility as a neurosurgeon, she knew nothing about my agreement with Mina and I wasn't planning to disclose my plan to her. It wasn't really a nice move to tell her I was going to fool her in-laws. I wanted to narrow the risk of the agreement being exposed, it was a cautious steps.
 

 

"Dahyun buddy" I greeted her as she walked to me with an apple. We didn't talk much and she asked me about my health condition like she would everytime we met. She asked everyone the same questions. I chuckled and was glad she held herself to fill in her curiosity and confusion. She didn't ask any personal question and told me to enjoy the party. We had a small conversation before she returned to Ms Momo. Their mutual adoration was obvious---if not a little nauseating.


 

Ms Momo and Ms Hana grabbed onto Mina, dragging her around to meet some other women while Mrs Eri introduced me to several key members of her staff. It was evident. Mrs Eri intention wasn't a secret. She was letting the rest of his valued staff---which carried the Hirai bloodline---to meet me and I knew their opinions would matter so I was on my best behavior, putting on the charm. For the first while, I kept glancing over to Mina, wondering if she was saying or doing anything to jeopardize our situation. But she looked surprisingly calm and seemed to be holding her own. Mrs Eri noticed my preoccupation and ribbed me goodnaturedly. "Relax, Ms Son. No one will kidnap her. I promise."
 

 

I forced a chuckle. "Of course not. She, ah she'd rather shy, that's all" I stated lamely. I couldn't tell her why I needed to stay close.
 

 

She smiled, a knowing grin played on her lips, "You're protective of her."
 

 

Was I? That was what she thought? It wasn't what I expected for her to think but it did make up for my image, our relationship's image. I dramatically huffed,  "It's been a rough few daysfor both of us." Implying to what had occurred; Me giving up my position and resigned from the Son Group. I hoped she caught on, so I could utter my next scripted sentence. 
 

 

She nodded, looking serious. "I heard what happened."


 

Perfect.
 

 

Internally smiling, I fixed my expression into anger and determination. "I couldn't let the Chairman berate her that wayor allow him to belittle our relationship. It was time to leave, regardless of how it affected my career" I stated with conviction. "I wanted our relationship---our real relationship---out in the open. I wanted the world to know we were engaged and accept her. That she is mine and I'm hers, that none can hurt her the way he did"
 

 

"You put her first."


 

I lowered my gaze and answered shyly, "Always."


 

She clapped my shoulder. "Come meet some people, Chaeyoung and don't forget to invite us in your engagement party" she smiled. I followed her as we went to meet another family members. It wasn't go unnoticed by me. How she changed the formality, from Mrs Son to Chaeyoung.
 

 

I chuckled and rubbed the edge of my left eyebrow, "Of course, we've printed the invitation and plan to send it in this week" She gave me an amused look while I faked a sheepish smile. Internally panicking, I had to host our engagement party in a few days and there was nothing prepared or planned yet. The thought did crossed my mind since I wanted Mina to be 'formally' introduced to the public as my spouse, regain her reputation, and build her own name but I'd never thought it will be this soon and without any advance preparation. This will be hard.










 

*  *  *  *

A while later, I walked toward the small group of people with Mina. I had observed the Hirai and how they interacted and I was correct in my assumption. They were a very demonstrative group. When they were close to each other, the couples were constantly touching. Both Mrs Eri and Mr Kimi were affectionate with their children. I knew, I needed to show the same sort of affinity with Mina. I hoped she could respond in kind. The women were laughing, shaking their heads. Mina spoke up. "I know, for someone usually so health conscious, broad-shouldered and muscular, Chaeyoung is terrible. She rarely worked out and avoids exercising. I have to force her to come with me to the gym or she will dive herself in her work all day." She chuckled. "I've given up trying to encourage her because there's no point. She's too lazy."
 

 

Stepping up behind her I wrapped my arm around her waist, drawing her back to my chest and dropping a quick kiss to her neck. I was aware of her small shiver. "What about you, Mina?" I glanced around at the small group of women she was talking to with a wide smile. "She worries constantly about that, yet, every day I find her eating instant noodles and junk food. Very unhealthy, Sweetheart." I playfully pinched her nose and shook my head while she whined in protest. "I keep telling you, protein is essential and you need more of it. You are far too skinny and I'm envious towards the wind as it can easily  fly you away from me. I'm seriously concerned, my love" There was a collective sigh among the women in the group. I had obviously said something right. It was at least the truth, she was far too thin and it was worrisome to all eyes.
 

 

Mina gave me a dispproval look and insisted. "Being your assistant, I was lucky enough to have time to eat a few biscuits and junk food."
 

 

I kissed her again. "My bad, sweetheart. Work had me under its grips and you were too precious for me to not had a glimpse of you once in a while. I was being inconsiderate. It will never repeat and will never happen the second time"
 

 

As the women around her all smiling at our interaction, Ms Hana patted one on the shoulder with a grin. "Look out, Sakura you've been warned. If Chaeyoung comes on board, no more lunch hours." Sakura laughed. "I can find out all her secrets from her fiancée to keep her in line."


 

Sakura Miyawaki. Mr Kimi's sister in law, and by the way things seemed to be going my secretary. I smiled at her. She was a brunette, tall and petite. "Hello, Ms Sakura. It's nice meeting you" She nodded "I hope, I'm not a disappointment as a secretary after having your fiancée at your side. If, of courseyou managed to come through the Hirai"
 

 

I stiffened a little but Mina laughed patting my back. "Chaeyoung is brilliant" she enthused. "She is amazing to work with. I'm sure the two of you will get along."
 

 

Ms Momo winked at Mina. "Spoken like a woman in love." She teased while scooping gateau chocolate.
 

 

Mina relaxed back into my arms with a small sigh. She glanced at me and a gentle smile tugged on her lips. Her hand traced my cheeks, her voice low and husky. "Because I am."
 

 

It was an Oscar-worthy performance.











 

  - to be continued-
________________________________

RenOgura