Paint

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina
 

 

"She's so awkward around children and obviously dislikes them but surprisingly all of the kids likes her. She looks very uncomfortable and forced" A voice chimed in. I stopped scooping the rice and turned to the source of voice. A tall bear looking woman. We were preparing lunch for the kids, a short break after our gardening activity. Everyone worked together, the volunteers cooking and equipping the meal for the children except one person who sat on a chair under the tree; arms crossed against her chest, crossed legs, eyes closed. A group of kids lurking around her and tried no to disturb since she was sleeping heavily perhaps due to exhaustion. The moment the kids saw her, she was dragged around by them with that obvious disapproval expression, but had no choice to follow. She must be tired. I unconsciously smiled at the sight.
 

 

"Who is she, Mina? That fierce tiger woman?" Seulgi added, staring towards her with an amusement written on her face.
 

 

I shrugged, "Someone. She is someone to me." Not wanting to linger around the topic, I changed the flow of the conversation. I didn't know what to tell others about Chaeyoung and my relationship. I didn't want to lie to them and involve them in this confusion. It was a contractual relationship and wouldn't last long anyway. It was my problem and would be safer if I keep them in the dark rather then lying. "By the way, why are you here alone? Where's Irene?"
 

 

"My wife has a photoshoot today" Seulgi pouted. They usually volunteering together unless Irene had scheduled, Seulgi would stick with me and complain about how she missed her wife even if they literally separated only for half a day. Her excuses were, weekends supposed to be their time and no work-related were allowed. However, this bear didn't have the heart to stop her wife and willingly let her go to work. They really had an ideal marriage. I met them through this orphanage and had been acquaintance since then. Seulgi and Irene had been together for five years already. I'd seen them every weekend through this volunteer program.
 

 

They were totally faithful, honest and respectful to one other. I had never seen them broke into a fight, only teases and apologies from the bear and of course, Irene would forgive her for her childish action sometimes. They made me believe true love did exist and it was beautiful. I wished to have a happy marriage just like them, a loving lover, a sweet moment with my spouse. My gaze averted to the woman sleeping under the tree. I sighed. Maybe my wish was too good to be true. This was reality. She showed me exactly what reality was. But it wasn't too late, I guess. After six months, I would be free from this agreement and perhaps able to find someone that loves me for who I am and build my own family.
 

 

Seulgi tapped my shoulder as a gesture to excuse herself. She jogged towards the children and gathered them, announcing it was lunchtime. The kids cheered that successfully stirred Chaeyoung from her deep slumber. She woke up and groggily walked behind me. I raised my brows, questioning what she wants but she wordlessly wrapped her arms around my waist while her chin rested on my shoulder. I was surprised but managed to stop myself from flinching. She yawned, "I'm hungry"
 

 

I was about to answer when a sudden flash of light hit my left eye. I winced and it disappeared second after. What was that? I roamed my eyes around and saw the black Mercedes's window was rolled down and there was it again, that flash of light. I narrowed my eyes and able to see lenses behind the window. They were taking pictures of us. Now, I understood Chaeyoung's behaviour. Looking away, I leaned my body against Chaeyoung and softly caressed her hands. "Would you like some bulgogi? We also have bibimpap and kimchi jigae if you want. I can prepare it for you"
 

 

Chaeyoung rubbed her cheeks on my shoulder and hummed, "Can I have dumplings?" She asked. However, the sentence was far contradicted from her tone that was demanding rather than requesting.
 

 

I narrowed my eyes, wasn't liking the tone she used. I would have stayed quiet and nod like a good employee I was but now our relationship was slightly different. We weren't only employee and employer. We were in an agreement and together floating in a boat of lies. We were in this together and I supposed, being myself and spoke out when something disturbed or offending was acceptable. She supposed to act like a good person anyway. I freed myself from her embrace and swung around, sighing."Isn't there supposed to be another word that follows?" I was taking a leap of luck. She might throw another sarcastic word and ignores me. I wasn't actually hoping she would oblige but I was wrong.
 

 

Chaeyoung scratched the corner of her left eyebrows and clicked her tongue in annoyance. I face-palmed mentally, it seemed that I had crossed her limit of patience. I shouldn't be that stubborn. She stared at me. A hard and intimidating gaze, "Make me dumplings" I was about to obediently nodded when I saw an unexpected change in her expression. Her eyes softened and she leaned closer, pressing our forehead together. "Please, sweetheart" She smiled, then booped my nose.
 

 

I froze, shocked by her action that my whole body halted. She pulled away and tilted her head, waiting for my reply. It was then, when she was already in a safe distance I was able to breathe. I let out a shuddering sigh and quick to return the smile, aware that we were closely being watched. "Alright, can you wait there with the children. It will be done in a few minutes. And thank you, Chaeyoung" Indeed I was grateful that she asked me politely. She grinned and planted a kiss on my cheeks before she walked away. I was amazed at how natural it was for her to do such affections while there was still awkwardness and stiffness in me whenever we were together. I knew I need to put a better performance. It wouldn't work if she was the only one who put an effort, it wouldn't be enough.
 

 

I went to the kitchen and searched for the ingredients. Thankfully all that was needed for making dumplings were there. It didn't take long to cook and I also added the amount for the children. I placed it on a small plate and contributed it to all of the children first. They were happily eating their food, sitting in a huge circle on the hall floor. There was no dining area and volunteers also eat on the floor, chatting and accompanying them. I glanced over to the outside and saw Chaeyoung who was in her previous position. Under the tree, leaning on the tree trunk with crossed arms. "Here, dumping per your request," I said, settling beside her and handed her the plate and a bottle of mineral water. Of course, hers differed from the children. She had hers decorated and in a large amount.
 

 

She gave me a side glare and scoffed. "What is that? Leftover?"
 

 

I blinked in confusion, then it occurred to me she was probably bitter because I gave the children first than hers. I sighed and shook my head, "I will never give my fiancee leftover. She is my responsibility" if only I could capture picture with my eyes, I would. Her expression upon hearing my statement was priceless. That confusion and amazement and shocked were presented all at once.
 

 

She chuckled before a mischievous grin tugged on her lips, "Well, since it is your responsibility. You have to feed me, ahhh" She opened . I smiled sweetly before shoving the biggest dumping on at once. She choked and cough, quickly munching it and swallowed while sending dagger with her eyes. Maybe that wasn't a good move. I pushed the plate to her and ran away.
 

 

She was fast. Really fast. In a few seconds. A tight grip on my wrist stopped my plan to escape. She pulled me backwards and swung me around to face her. I nervously chuckled, anxious of her action or sarcasm. She squinted her eyes and using her free hand, opened the bottle's cap and filled with water, while the other hand was still wrapped around my wrist. She didn't drink it and keep the water inside . Was she going to spout the water on my face?
 

 

"I-I need to attend the chi----" I tried to make excuses when she suddenly dragged me towards her and let go of the bottle. She cupped my cheeks while her thumb rested under my chin, pulling my lower lips to slightly open my mouth. I gasped when she kissed me open-mouthed. Forcing the water from into mine. Some spilt over and traced my jaw. Her hand went into the back of my head, pressing my lips into hers and held me tight. My eyes widened and I had no choice but to gulp before pushing her away with a hard pinch on her stomach. She finally let me go. I coughed and sprayed the remaining water on the ground. Gasping for air, she held my shoulder as she kept me in place. She gently tapped the side my lips with her sleeves, wiping the water. I was too caught off guard and baffled that I had no idea what to say, to feel, to do. I just stood there, gawking at her.
 

 

She smirked, "Payback time, Sweetheart. Now, come and let's eat peacefully" Again I was dragged to the tree but I didn't argue and follow behind. My mind was still haze and playing what happened earlier in a never-ending loop. I bit my lips in embarrassment when I saw Seulgi raising two thumbs up while smirking teasingly. That was when I realized we made a scene. The children watched us in awe, some even clapping while the other volunteers either laughing or cringing. While here was the oblivious Chaeyoung. She pulled me to sit and I quickly hid behind her. I was sure my face burned bright enough to outshine the sun. Did she really have to do that in front of the kids and here? I'm doomed. Seulgi wouldn't forget this ever same with the volunteer the kids. They would tease me non-stop while the children wouldn't stop asking.
 

 

"Why aren't you eating?" Chaeyoung asked while nonchalantly eating her dumplings. I stared at her in disbelief. Did this woman really unaware of her surrounding or she didn't have any shame at all? I'm certain it was the latter. She knew they watched us, but she didn't care and didn't feel embarrassed even the slightest. She was so full of herself.
 

 

I shook my head, "It's okay. I'm full"
 

 

"Just from plain water?" She wiggled her brows. I pinched her arm, earning a hiss from her. She barked a laugh then turned around, covering me from the crowd's eyes. She brought one dumpling to my lips, gesturing me to eat it. I was sceptical, wondering what kind of scheme was she playing now. "I won't let my fiancee die from starving. You are my responsibility." She mimicked. "Now eat before your stomach cried. I know you haven't had breakfast. Your breath stinks"
 

 

"Not as stinky as your personality" I blurted out.
 

 

"You actually admit that your breath stinks huh" A playful smile played on her lips. I was about to flip. She really liked to tease and joke around now as if she purposely did so to gain a reaction. As if she wanted me to burst my own bubble, the passive me and be more courageous, active. I rolled my eyes, wasn't understanding her, why would she do that. And obviously annoyed by her previous remark. I had my breakfast and brushed my teeth. Not in a million years, my breath stink. Leaning against the tree trunk, I distanced myself and quietly glared at her. She chuckled then patted my head. "There there. No need to be a scary penguin. Eat before I feed you with my mou----"
 

 

Hearing her last sentence made a shiver ran through my spine. I quickly pulled her wrist that held the chopstick with a dumpling between it, and took a bite. She smiled in content. We finished the meal and continued with our next activity with the children. Each volunteer was paired with five kids. We helped them to colour various plants and flowers on a small canvas using watercolour. Chaeyoung and I were supposed to be together since it was her first time here. But, for some reason, she showed a great objection to join this activity. She insisted to wait and just watch. The kids started to whine. They favour her so much yet Chaeyoung didn't bother to move. She just stared at us boringly. It was a competition where the winner would win a plushie and the other volunteers already started. The kids lifted their head at me and pouted, blinking their eyes.
 

 

The youngest tugged the hem of my blouse and softly uttered. "Pretty unnie, Chaeng Chaeng unnie together."
 

 

I sighed and crouched down, levelling my height to the two years old kid, "Okay, Lily. Unnie will convince Chaeng Chaeng to join us. Wait here alright" the kids excitedly cheered. I smiled before walking to Chaeyoung who was stoned in her seat. She wasn't moving nor talking. She seemed to be lost in her thoughts. I stared at her glistening face from the warm sun rays that were pouring in. Moving in front of her, I covered the light.
 

 

She noticed my presence and raised her chin, arching her brows. There was a threat in her gaze, as if she knew exactly what I was trying to say and declined it with a look. I didn't know what was so hard with painting, was she bad at it, then I could help. I may not be the best but I'm sure didn't fail at art either. Why would this turn into a serious matter? It literally colouring with children. However, her eyes that darkened made me instinctively lowered my head. It was terrifying. I had never seen that look, not even when I was her personal assistant. She wordlessly ordered me to leave and I understand her enough to know that this was beyond anything that I could do.
 

 

I took a step back and slowly walked away.  The kid's disappointed face made me stop on my track. A sudden idea crossed my mind. I remembered what she had promised me. Returning back to her, she immediately stood and pushed me out of the way but I was quick to block her path. "You promised to grant one of my wishes during the makeup show. I want to use it now"
 

 

Her jaw clenched. She was not in her usual composed self. She was angry, even beyond it, "I can buy you a new house, a new car, a personal jet even. Yet, your wish is for me to play with them? Are you kidding me, Miss Myoui"
 

 

I forced myself to keep our eye contact although her aura was radiating with negativity and outraged. I hid my trembling hand behind my back and nodded, "Yes. It will be exciting. If you are bad at art, I can help." I said with conviction then softened my voice, "We will paint together, Chaeyoung. The objective is not to create a masterpiece but to enjoy the activity with the children. Come on, the kids are waiting for you"
 

 

Chaeyoung's gaze remained cold and frozen that tightened my chest. She seemed thinking, pondering. She finally moved and groaned. Leaning to rest her chin on my shoulder "Fine, since Son Chaeyoung never goes back on her words. But this will be the last time, Sweetheart" she lazily muttered. I sighed in relief and caressed her short blonde hair. I preferred this Chaeyoung, although she could be mean and arrogant it was definitely better than scary Chaeyoung. I took her wrist, smiled and pulled her towards the kids that also ran towards us, especially her. They were surrounded her, hugging her legs.  
 

 

I carried Fflur in my arms, the oldest out if the five kids and another three years old, Jasmina. Chaeyoung stared down at the three kids who stretched their hands, asking for a lift. She shook her head but they kept tugging her shirt and even her pants. She panicked when the youngest hung on her belt causing her trousers to slightly loosened. I laughed as she hastily carried the children, Lily on her shoulder, Dahlia on her right arms and Rose the left "Lily, hold Changie's head tightly. You don't want to fall and break your limbs, don't you?" She warned and the toddler quickly bent over and circled her arm around Chaeyoung's chin. Her tiny fingers poked around Chaeyoung's face.
 

 

Lily was the youngest, followed by Dahlia, Rose, Jasmine, then lastly Fflur. Aged from two to four years old. They were the smallest angels amongst the others and newly here. During my three years volunteering in this orphanage. I witnessed how these kids were abandoned/left by their parents.
 

 

Fflur and her younger twin, Jasmine was sent here by the authority due to their parents neglect. Rose was left in front of the orphange, still sleeping peacefully in a blanket with an apology note inside. Dahlia's mother who was a widow had requested to have her placed into foster care in voluntary placement because she was sick and incapable of raising her. While Lily, the most active and joyful kid. She was an orphan. Her mother passed away during childbirth while her father caught in a deadly car accident. Her parents was wealthy but had no other living relatives, hence the inheritance was passed to her and kept by the court/authority until she turned adult.
 

 

It was saddening to know their story. They were still young and believe their parents will come back. They didn't understand and we didn't want to crush their hope. Hence, we would sadly watch them every evening, standing in front of the door, waiting for their parents. I sighed and held Fflur tighter, giving her a kiss on the forehead. She smiled and hugged my neck, her little arms didn't reach each other. I averted my gaze back to Chaeyoung who had a troubled look.
 

 

"I asked you to hold on my temple, around the forehead, not to choke me" She complained while struggling to free her face from Lily's wandering hands. I stifled a giggle which earned a side glare from her. With the kids, we went to our designed place and started painting. I was supposed to watch over five kids but since Chaeyoung was here, it felt like there was an added one. She never stopped whining about the watercolour that had low quality and because of it, her painting was miserable. When I tried to help, she refused. Perhaps it scarred her pride. I guessed what Jeongyeon said was true. I could clearly see it now. Chaeyoung was lowkey childish. It was pretty obvious why her painting turned out messy because she was using her non-dominant hand. Rather than using her right, she was using her left hand. When I asked why, she just shrugged and continued with her complaint.
 

 

I had enough and snapped at her, "Can you stop whining. Everybody hates whiners"
 

 

"No I'm not" she made a not guilty expression and hummed a random song.
 

 

"You are whining that what you do" I deadpanned.
 

 

"I wasn't whining"
 

 

"Still whining"
 

 

"I'm not whining"
 

 

"Whining!" I stuck my tongue out to end the little argument when she suddenly cupped my face. Her thumb softly danced across my cheeks. I was startled and confused by that out of the blue action, not until she pulled away and laughed while the kids were giggling at me. I touched my face and that was when I realised she had smeared paint.
 

 

Scoffing, I bit my lips while gathering all the paint I could get. She stood and hid behind the kids while the children were protecting her. I smiled cheekily to the kids and tickled them while smearing a dot on their nose. They screamed in joy and opened the path to Chaeyoung who sat, chuckling, "You started it" I laughed and smeared her face with streaks of colour, charming whiskers and black panda eye. She glanced over the kids who were busy with their own paint war then averted her gaze back to me. Pulling my waist closer, she pecked my lips then rubbed my face with her full-painted hands. I giggled.
 

 

That was one of my happiest days. Maybe it was because of Chaeyoung, maybe it was because the children, maybe it was because of the activities. Whatever reason it was, I was happy.







 

*   *   *   *

"She made Chaeyoung paint." The Chairman uttered, staring at the captured pictures that his men just sent. The night had rolled in. The air was still, heavy and thick clouds blotted out stars. The only source of light that illuminated his office was the small table lamp on his desk. He sank in his seat and called his secretary through the intercom. Seconds after, his tangled mind interrupted by a knock in his door then Jihyo entered upon his permission."What do you think of their relationship?" He asked, sliding the pictures across his desk for her to see it and shared her thoughts.
 

 

Jihyo glanced over the pictures and smiled, "I trust them. Whether, they realise it or not, they are compatible with each other. Mina deserves a better future and Chaeyoung deserves a second chance. Give them more time"
 

 

The Chairman sighed, "I thought Chaeyoung will break off their relationship once the rumour circulated. I thought she'll be embarrassed at her own fiancee but she defends Mina, she protects her. I tried to interfere and see how much she willing to sacrifice for Mina, at what extent will she continue this. No matter how much I look at it, this won't end well. I don't want Mina to be hurt and Chaeyoung abandons morality. You know this isn't righteous, aren't you?"
 

 

"They'll grow. Please put faith in them."
 

 

Silence clung to them, it was as pure as the black canvas outside. The Chairman clasped his hand on the table, thinking before he uttered, "Jeongyeon asked for permission to court Mina a year ago. She truly loves the girl since the beginning. Their rivalry becomes stronger and it seems there is no room for them to be closer." He briefly closed his eyes, regret and guilt evident in his face, "Did I do this to my grandchildren? Did I go too hard on them? I was selfish and bitter over the loss that I blamed it on Chaeyoung. I knew I was wrong but I wanted them to be strong and powerful"
 

 

"I understand, Chairman. But, Chaeyoung was just a little kid back then. She knew nothing. And they've become a great person because of you. I just hope you put less pressure on both of them." Jihyo assured. She then remembered the letter she received yesterday morning, "The Im Group President proposes an engagement between their only daughter Miss Im Nayeon and Miss Jeongyeon. Have you considered it?"
 

 

"I've told Jeongyeon and she accepted the proposal. She's trying to strengthen her position and influence using the Im Group as a support. She might have given up on Mina or maybe not. Chaeyoung, I'll give her a second chance. A chance to fairly compete with Jeongyeon in business management. The only way to choose who worthy is by rivalry. I don't want to make their relationship as sisters worsen but I need a rightful heiress. Someone dependable to take care of this group."
 

 

Jihyo completely understood the Chairman. Even if she didn't agree in some of his decision and action but she knew he was a good man. He funded various private hospitals and children with needs. He was a short-tempered person and expected the best from her grandchildren. He wanted them to be in their best potential to carry out their responsibility. The Son Group was a large-scale corporation. The business he had spent his years and tremendous effort to build. It was just right if he wanted someone he could trust to hand the business over.


 

A ringing sound filled the empty floor. It was the landline phone on the secretary's desk. The Chairman smiled and allowed her to leave and pick up the phone. Jihyo bowed and was about to walk away when the Chairman called for her, "Jihyo, set an appointment with Mina. I have to apologise about the rumoured article" the latter nodded and left.
 

 

The Chairman took that picture and stared at Mina and Chaeyoung eating dumplings under the tree. The smiled on their face was so genuine that he didn't know what to make out of it. He sighed and whispered, "I'll hand this matter to you, Hirai"







 



 

  - to be continued-
_____________________________

✒ Jun Kudo