Dance With Me

Ransomed Fiancée

• Chapter 12 •

Previously
 

 

"She is my fiancee, my love. Myoui Mina"
 

 

She stood before me and smiled. The prettiest thing I'd seen in a while, for it extended to her eyes and softened. She gazes me a look of assurance that seemed genuinely sweet. I couldn't utter a word nor move, as I was captivated by those deep pools of dark-cinnamon orbs. She intertwined our hands and lightly pulled me to the exit door and entered the elevator. My head was still in haze from all of the pressure and Chaeyoung's words. I was finally brought to reality when she grabbed me, dragged me to her, kissing me as the door shuts, closing off shocking gasps.


 

 

• Chapter 13 •

Immediately, Chaeyoung moved away from me. I stumbled back against the wall breathing fast. Her kiss had been hard deliberate with an edge of anger and frustration to it. "Why did you do that?" I asked, referring to the kiss. The coldness of her touch still lingering on my lips. It was my first, and I used to imagine it will be full of fireworks, tingles and desire, but in the end, it was harsh and demanding. I knew I shouldn't expect anything the moment I signed the contract and I know too well I shouldn't be having this feeling. Where I can feel the heat growing in my cheeks. Blushing over something that was so trivial and meant nothing.
 

 

Fixing her blazer, she shrugged. "Might as well leave with a bang." She chuckled while wiping her lips with a handkerchief. "The way the gossip mill works in this industry, this will be everywhere by tonight." A loud loud harsh cackle of laughter filled the elevator as her head falling back on her shoulders. "That rumours did me a huge favour and he has no idea" The doors opened and she fixed her expression before grabbing me by the waist and walked out.
 

 

She smiled and escorted me to the front passenger seat. I knew she was probably putting a facade for public eyes. I entered the car and she jogged to the driver seat, settling beside me. Her words before was still echoed inside my mind as I tried to understand it. I brought my gaze to her, "Favor? Did you...did you plan all of this?" The thought of her being the mastermind and the person who released the rumour, had my heart whimpered and ached.
 

 

She smirked, "No, but I know who did it" She slid on her sunglasses and drove away. A sarcastic scoff escaped her grinning lips. "Everything went well, Mina. All the guest were watching. I decided a scene would be a good thing. He thought I'll be shaken by this, looks like his plan is backfired."
 

 

"It was advertising. The name of the game. In one move, they found out about us. You see what happened tonight was my fiancee was being talked trash in a party and I defended her. That was a romantic and touching move. It's perfect. I couldn't have planned it better if I tried." She arched her brows and stole a glance at me before diverting her attention back to the road. "I couldn't care less about your past Mina, what I do care is how it affect this contractual relationship. I need you to tell me more about you. And I will tell you more about me. Hence, whenever something like this repeated again in the future, we both are well-prepared to face it."
 

 

I sank to my seat and planted my gaze outside the window, not bothering to answer her. I should have seen this coming, but deep down, I'm disappointed and embarrassed for my own stupid expectation. This whole new environment and sudden changes made me stray away from the real purpose of the agreement. I needed money and she needed the title. We both were using each other and gained benefits from it. Although, I hoped we could at least treat each other with mutual respect and understanding, considering we both in this together. I didn't think it was possible. She would never consider me anything else than a bridge for her to reach her goal. What she said was right, it was my fault to be fooled by her comforting words earlier, it was my fault to expect more and be disappointed by it. It was because I was driven by emotions. I should not forget that and keep things professional between us.
 

 

I recalled the earlier event. I couldn't answer Suga's question because it was the truth and I badly needed help, someone to protect me, to comfort me. Why did her name be the only words that crossed my mind at that time? Why did I call for her? Maybe it was because I was grown comfortable with her presence and influence. I knew she would be there, I knew she could save me. It was dangerous when I started to rely on her. I had to guard my mind and heart, or else, I would be the only one hurting at the end. Whether it could lead to friendship or something more. She would never be that person who stayed beside me.
 

 

I sighed, closing my eyes as I decided to take a brief nap, leaning on the window. The blinding city lights subsided ever so subtly, filling the shadow-emitted sky with a pleasant silence. I was awakened when she was about to pull over into the garage. Although I was sitting and dozing inside a moving vehicle, it was a good sleep. I was about to move when I noticed a folded blazer was put under my head. Was that why I didn't feel my head bumping to the window? I took it and stole a glance at her beside me. Chaeyoung was shutting the engine off then checked her phone. She caught me staring and narrowed her eyes.
 

 

"I don't want my car to be stained by a penguin's saliva. Tell the maids to hand-wash that blazer" She said then walked out of the car. I internally rolled my eyes and followed her, entering the villa. She turned to me while ing her sleeves. "I'm going for a shower while you can change first. We'll prepare our list, and look it over. I'll order dinner then let's start talking when we've done. We need to get everything aligned."
 

 

I nodded and proceeded to my room. It seemed that we had a lot to talk tonight. It will be a very exhausting evening.








 

Chaeyoung
 

When I returned, Mina was sitting on the couch. There was a bottle unopened wine on the table with an empty glass while she was sipping an orange juice. She was studying a paper neatly set on the table. I bet the wine was for me. She knew my favourite. I drew in a deep breath and crossed the room. I had her list with me, so we could discuss the details. We needed to cram as much as our histories in tonight to bluff our way through this relationship. We had to convince the Chairman we were the real deal and be more careful with any unexpected circumstance such as the previous event. This was going to be a long night.
 

 

Mina soft inviting eyes met mine. Her hair fell over her shoulder and I couldn't help notice how her maroon blouse suited her pale complexion and deep colour of her hair. Wordlessly, I poured a glass of wine and sat beside her, pushing those strange thoughts out of my head. "Dinner will arrive soon, I ordered you Omurice with extra ketchup"
 

 

She blinked as her eye sparkled with amusement, "It's one of my favourites"
 

 

I held up my list with a smirk, "I know"
 

 

Hours later, I emptied the last of the wine into my glass. I was exhausted. Never one to talk about my past or reveal too many personal details, it had been a torturous night. Fortunately, since we had a lot of ground to cover, I didn't have to delve too deep into a lot of things. She knew I lived alone, my mother was deceased, that woman (my step-mother) was an international model, my father was nowhere to be found, Yoo Jeongyeon was my step-sister, and all the pertinent facts: where, went to school, my favourite activities, colours ,foods, likes and dislikes. I was somewhat surprised to find she already knew many of those facts and probably didn't even need my list. She was turned out to be more observant at the office than I gave her credit for being.
 

 

I knew there was more about me to tell but I didn't think it was necessary for now. There was a certain thing you wanted to keep to yourself and when it was really needed then, I'd let her know eventually. I reminded her that she didn't have to storytelling me her life journey and only pointed out the most important ones and worthy.
 

 

I learned a great deal of new information about Mina. Whereas she was observant to me, she had only ever been a shadow on the edge of my world. She was as reticent to discuss her past as I was, but told me enough so I could make do. Her parents deceased when she was teenager and she was taken care of by her aunt. She once worked in a club as a bartender. She had an older sister. The only family she had left who currently resided in a care home.
 

 

I found it stupid. She knew nothing about alcohol but claimed to have work as a bartender. My curiosity perked. Where her aunt was now, where was her sister, what happened to her sister, was she sick. However, I kept the questions and doubt to myself since I didn't want to indulge in her family affair. What she told me was enough for now and I didn't want to cross her boundaries. I didn't want to care.
 

 

She continued and told me, she didn't finish post-secondary education which I'm already aware of. She worked as a contract worker in a magazine company for a year and a half, then came to work for the Son Group as a temporary job and never left. When I questioned why, she stated, at the time she was undecided about her future and chose to work until she knew what she wanted. I let it go, even though it seemed strange. I had no idea how her mind worked.
 

 

I sat down with a sigh. Mina tensed beside me. I leaned my head back, regarding her with ill-concealed impatience. "I think we have the basic facts down, Mina. I even know the name of your favourite toothpaste brand should that come up." Her lists had been far more detailed than mine. "However, none of this is going to work if you stiffen every time I come close to you."
 

 

"I'm not used to it" She admitted. "You, ah, usually put me on edge."
 

 

"We're going to have to be close" I informed her. "Lovers are. They touch and caress. They whisper and exchange glances. There's a familiarity that comes with being intimate. If I can't reach for your hand without you flinching, no amount of facts will help us"
 

 

She fiddled with her juice glass, running her fingers over the stem repeatedly. "What are you saying?"
 

 

"I'm going to touch you, whisper things in your ear, hold your hands, caress your hair, your arm,even kiss you. Call you sweetheart, other endearments. Like any other couple in love."
 

 

"I thought you said you've never been in love?" She raised her gaze on me, staring into mine. I snickered. "I've done enough ads about it. I can fake it. Besides, I've been in lust enough, it's basically the same" She then quietly replied, " without love is just body parts and friction."
 

 

I gritted my teeth, "There's nothing wrong with that kind of friction. without love is the way. I like it. Love does things to people. It changes them. Makes them weak. Complicates things. I have no interest in that. Now back to the task at hand. Are you prepared not to run screaming when I suddenly touch you or kiss you? Can you handle it?" I rapped my knuckles on the lists sitting in front of us. "We need more than facts to be successful. "She gave me a subtle nod that I took as a yes. "Okay, we need to try something"
 

 

"What do you suggest?"
 

 

I my chin with my finger. "Well, since ing for ing sake is off the table, I guess we need to figure that out. Unless you want to try?"
 

 

She rolled her eyes but her cheeks darkened. "No. Suggest something else."
 

 

I suppressed my chuckle. She was entertaining at times. I held my hand out, palm up, in invitation. "Work with me." Slowly, she slipped her hand into mine and I closed my fingers around her small palm. Her skin was warm and soft. With a grin, I squeezed her fingers before letting go. "See, I didn't burn you or anything."
 

 

Feeling restless, I stood and walked around. "We're going to have to act comfortable with each other. If I kiss you or wrap my arm around your waist, you have to act as if it's normal." I tugged on my shirt hem. "You'll have to do the same. Reach for me, smile, laugh when I whisper something. Kiss my cheeks whenever when we parted ways. Something. Do you understand?"
 

 

"Yes" then she grinned, there was a mischievous glint in her eyes, "If you call me sweetheart, do I get to call you something too. Something special?"
 

 

I'm not one with nicknames but I can work with it, "Like?"
 

 

"" She answered with a straight face
 

 

"No" Her bravery and guts surprised me. Since when did she know how to curse? Bad Mina, bad Mina.
 

 

"Why not, its rhythm with your surname, and it suits you in so many levels"
 

 

I gave her a sharp look. I was sure she knew the nickname was attached to me in the industry and was trying to poke fun. I didn't pay attention to it but I knew a few nicknames that were created for me by the employees and previous client. From various insulting words to the understandable ones. But, it never bothered me since partly it was true and secondly, not a single soul dared to say it in front of me expect, my new fiancee. "No. Pick something else."
 

 

"I'll have to think about it" Her lips quirked, "But works so well"
 

 

I ignored her obvious humour, "Enough" I stepped in front of her, meeting her confused gaze. "Now, shall we practice?" I walked to a shelf that neatly stored my vinyl records collection. My fingers through the name and pulled out a piece of classical music. I turned to the Gramophone and placed the record on the stationary turntable then gently place the needle on the record. Soon, a low gentle melody hummed through the speakers. "Dance with me. Get used to how it feels to be close to me." I held out my hand, saying the one word I never used with her until the past few days. "Please." She let me drag her to her feet and awkwardly she moved closer. With a sigh, I wound my arm around her waist, tugged her close and breathed in the scent of her hair wafting up into the air.
 

 

We began moving, and I was surprised at how natural it felt. Far than the women I was used to, she met my shoulders; her head fit under my chin into the crook of my neck as if she really meant to rest her head there. She seemed slight and fragile in my arms yet she moulded against my body well. In the first few steps I couldn't count how many times she had squished my foot under her own. But as I carefully guided her, she was able to get used to my touch.
 

 

After a few minutes, she lost the stiffness in her shoulders, letting me lead her around the room effortlessly. She was unexpectedly graceful as she moved, given how often I had watched her trip on her own feet. A voice spoke in my head, whispering maybe what she needed all along was someone to hold her up, rather than tear her down. That brought me up short and I jerked back staring at her. She blinked up at me, filled with trepidation and I realized she was expecting some sort of nasty remark. Instead, I cupped her cheek, and her eyes grew wider.
 

 

"What are you doing?" She asked. Her hand flat against my chest, giving a little distance between us.
 

 

"Kissing you, to practice"
 

 

"Oh" She breathed out and nodded, giving me approval. I leaned closer and my lips touched hers. They were surprisingly soft and pliant, melding to mine with ease. It wasn't an unpleasant sensation; in fact, I felt a trail of warmth run down my spine at the contact. I released her lips, only to drop my head and kiss her again, this time a fast brushing of my mouth on hers. I stepped back, releasing my hold on her. The air around us was thick and I smirked. "See, not so bad. It won't kill you to kiss me"
 

 

"Nor you" She retorted, a tremor in her voice.
 

 

I barked out a laugh. "I guess not. Whatever it takes to get the job done." I grabbed the remote, turning off the music. "Well done, Mina. We've done enough bonding for the evening. We'll have our date tomorrow, so I think we both need to get some rest."
 

 

"Date?"
 

 

"Yes. I'm bringing you to a date. We don't have to go to work tomorrow. I'll visit the office in the morning for small matter then we can go on with the day." There was something I had to take care of for this relationship to appear convincing. It was dangerous and risky, but this whole agreement itself was already destructive enough. I was on for gambling.
 

 

"Okay," she whispered.
 

 

"You did a good job today and was really brave. Thank you" I slip my hands under her ears and leaned to peck her crown. I bid her goodnight and turned my heels, leaving her gaping at me.









 

- to be continued-
________________________________

RenOgura