Proposal

Ransomed Fiancée

Mina

 

 

That night, I waited for Chaeyoung to return from wherever she went. She had promised me, precisely I made a rule that forbids her to sleep with any woman while we were in this contractual relationship. I think it was just, fair, reasonable and morally right. I glanced to my wristwatch and the arms pointed half-past two in the morning. She hadn't come back. Uneasy, I stood from my bed and walked to the window. I drew the curtain and waited through the pure black of night. There was no moon nor stars beckoning the midnight velvet.
 

 

The sound of a car pulling into the front yard caught my attention. I looked down and saw her handing the car keys to the doorman to park her car in the garage. I studied her, she didn't seem drunk and was carrying a few files. I concluded she was from work. Feeling somehow relief, I walked in and tucked myself to bed. Guess we will talk tomorrow instead.
 

 

I closed my eyes and tossed around. Unfortunately, my second night here was just the same, I'm unable to sleep. Sighing, I sprang up and went to my door, peeking towards Chaeyoung's bedroom. It was closed. I waited for another half an hour before tip-toeing through the hallway and stopped right in front of her bedroom. I leaned my ear towards the door and was glad when I heard nothing, which meant she was asleep. I carefully opened the door and left it slightly ajar. Like yesterday, the room glowed in soft orange. She was sleeping in the same position---lying on her stomach--- without changing her suit and her feet not only didn't go out of the blanket but also from the bed.
 

 

Should I fix her position and cover her with the duvet? or she might catch a cold.
 

 

I scoffed.
 

 

No.
 

 

My gaze focused on her chest that rose and fell then listened to the sound of her light snore. Thank you for that comfort anyway. I turned around and went to my room. Concentrating to the sound then drifted to dreamland.


 


 

* * * *

The morning sun beamed peeking through the clouds, the golden rays caressed my face. I breathed in deeply, a new day had begun, the day I will be officially introduced to the public as Chaeyoung's girlfriend. Anxious of the upcoming Golden Rose event, I tried to calm myself and did my usual morning routine. I went downstairs and rummaged around the kitchen. It was well equipped, yet held little food except for some fruits, loaves of bread and a few condiments in the cupboard and refrigerator. I didn't look thoroughly yesterday and just realised now, we really need to do grocery shopping.
 

 

"Looking for something?"
 

 

I straightened up, startled. Chaeyoung was slouched against the door frame, a towel draped around her broad shoulders. Her skin glistened with a thin sheen of sweat, her blonde hair damp and she still looked perfect. I wondered where she came from. I examined her clothing and surprised when I recognized her attire. She was wearing a navy kendo hakama tied around her waist, it was a traditional martial art Japanese clothing. I deadpanned, in her list, her second dislike was Japanese hah, remarkable. As far as I know, she even had the blood since the Chairman was a pure Japanese. I shrugged it off.
 

 

"You don't have much food." I answered, pertaining to her previous question.
 

 

"We'll dine out"
 

 

I nodded and leaned on the countertop. "Anyway, I don't think I can be your maid. In the contract, I only have to pretend to be your fiancee and nothing more. I have the right to decline this offer"
 

 

Her expression quickly changed as she frowned, "But---"
 

 

I cut her off, "I'll still cook for you. It would seem natural to other people. That I would take care of our home. That I would take care of, ah you." At her confused look, I explained. "What I'm saying is, you don't have to pay me for doing the house chores because it is the right thing to do. But, I think you need to hire a few housekeepers because my time is limited and I'm also working, I can't manage this whole place alone"
 

 

She rubbed the end of her brow. Her gaze looking elsewhere but mine, "You---you only have to cook for me. That's all I want"
 

 

I squinted my eyes. She stuttered. That was worth to be mentioned since she was close to never stutter yet she just did. I found that odd. She ordered me to change and get ready as we will have our breakfast outside. It was a small but luxury cafe we went to and to my liking, it wasn't crowded. She was having a Caffè macchiato and Strawberry Waffle while mine was iced Americano accompanied by pancakes. She looked in bliss sipping her beverages. I took note of the cafe's name since Chaeyoung rarely satisfied with the coffee I bought for her. We ate in silence and only conversed when needed. She told me about a personal shopper and I was just listening.
 

 

Not long after we arrived back at the Villa, Chaeyoung gestured me to wait in the living room and I obliged. She disappeared from my sight then returned after a while. She signed for an envelope, opened it then a black credit card at me.
 

 

"What's this?" I asked.
 

 

"For you to shop."
 

 

I looked at the face of the card, seeing my name emblazoned in silver. "How did...? Never mind." I sighed. It was obvious, whatever Chaeyoung wanted, she got. She sat down, reaching for the card and fiddled it with her fingers.
 

 

"Sign it and use it. I called Ruby Jane---she's the personal shopper I told you about. She's expecting you in an hour"
 

 

"Fine." I grunted
 

 

"What's the matter?"
 

 

"Couldn't she send me a dress for the evening event? I'm sure you've already informed her exactly what you want me to wear."
 

 

She shook her head. "This isn't solely for the event Mina. I meant what I said. Get rid of the clothes you've been wearing. I want you in dresses, well-tailored suits, smart outfits. Decent shoes. A whole new wardrobe. I've made a list that you need and send it to Jane"
 

 

"Do I have to toss my underwear as well?" I questioned, and even I could hear the snark. For a minute she blinked then started to laugh.
 

 

"You do have a little backbone in there somewhere" Her chuckle was light and laced with a hum of amusement at the matter before she answered me. "Yes. Toss it. All new. All in keeping with the role you'll be playing"
 

 

I rolled my eyes, taking the card. "Fine. It's not as if anyone will see my undergarments anyway."
 

 

Chaeyoung's curve lips went into a thin line. "What is it with you?" she growled. "I've never had to beg another woman to spend my money. Usually, they can't wait to get their hands on my bank account. Why are you so ing stubborn?"
 

 

I stood up. "Then get one of them to play your loving fiancée in this ridiculous farce." I began to walk away, stopping when her fingers wrapped around my arm. I didn't know what exactly had gotten into me. Maybe I was stress and anxious as to how risky this was. The event will mark the beginning of my life filled with lies, and the Son Group was influential. For sure, my face, my background, my past will be revealed to the world. I was no longer known by name but instead, Son Chaeyoung's fiancée, the granddaughter of Korea's largest conglomerate, Son Min Ki.
 

 

"Mina." Chaeyoung called.
 

 

I shook my arm free. "What?" I spat.
 

 

She held up her hands. "I don't understand the problem with outfitting you."
 

 

Wearily, I rubbed my hand over my eyes. "If tomorrow doesn't go well, and they caught on us, you will have spent a lot of money for nothing. All of this craziness will have been for nothing."
 

 

"All of this craziness?"
 

 

I blinked away the tears I felt forming. "Pretending we're engaged. Taking me out of my home, subjecting yourself to having to spend time with me. Putting facade in public. Even the Chairman knew how much you disliked me, Chaeyoung. Everyone knew. How is this possibly going to work?"
 

 

She shrugged. "If and it's a big if it doesn't work, you'll have a bunch of pretty new clothes to wear to your next job. I'd promised to find you one. Then, well, let's be honest your hovel wasn't much of a home; I'll find you something far better. Think of it that way. You lose nothing." She stepped forward. "And frankly Mina, perhaps I judged you too quickly. I don't dislike you. In fact, I rather enjoy listening to you argue with me."
 

 

I didn't know what to say to her unexpected declaration, but then was reminded by something. "I was placed on number one in your dislike list"
 

 

She pressed her lips "I think, perhaps, we need to call a truce. You're right on one thing. We need to present a united front, and we can't do that if we're on edge with each other. So I have an offer to extend."
 

 

"Okay?" I asked, almost fearful of what she was about to say.
 

 

"You go shopping, spend my money. Spend an indecent amount. Consider it a gift for all the lousy things I've done over the past year. I'll make my calls, and some arrangements I need to take care of. When you get home, you'll rest then get ready for the event. We'll spend the night talking and getting to know each other a little more. The next day, we'll face the world as a couple. Okay?"
 

 

I bit on my lower lips as I studied her. "Okay."
 

 

"Good. One more thing." She held out her hand, a small maroon box in her palm. I recognized it was the same box I saw yesterday. "I want you to wear this."
 

 

I stared at the box, not making a move. "What is it?" I whispered, already predicted the answer.
 

 

"An engagement ring."
 

 

I was astonished when my guess was right. I stared at the box longer than I'd expected. When I still didn't move, she sighed in frustration. "You had better not expect me to get down on one knee."
 

 

"No!" I gasped. Certainly, I'd watched dramas and movies that featured a proposal scene. Deep inside, I'm a woman and I wanted it too. A romantic dinner with my spouse and a surprise proposal. Not that I expect that from Chaeyoung, but I did hope to be proposed by someone I truly love and someone that loved me. That was my selfish imaginary proposal, I guess. This was reality, but somehow. I was, a small part of me was joyed.


 

Chaeyoung handed the box at me, "Then take it."
 

 

My hand trembled as I reached for the box and opened it. A large solitaire in white gold, vintage setting, shimmered under the light. It was exquisite. I lifted my gaze to hers. She pursed her lips and said, "I described you to the saleswoman and said, I wanted something simple yet stunning. There were larger ones but for some reason, I thought you would like this ring."
 

 

Her odd kind words touched me. "I do."
 

 

"Well, put it on. It's part of the image."
 

 

I slid it on my finger, staring at it. It was a perfect fit but still it felt strange on my hand. I noticed she was also wearing the other twin on her finger. "I'll take good care of it until it's time to give it back"
 

 

She snorted. "I'm sure you'll try. Given your clumsiness, you highly will trip and lose it somewhere. I've insured it." I rolled my eyes, the moment of being touched passed in that second. "I'll pick you up around seven. Someone will come in the evening to help you prepare for the event"
 

 

"Someone?" I inquired.
 

 

"Makeup artist, hairstylist, jeweller" She looked at her watch. "Okay. The car will be outside waiting for you. Go get yourself presentable." She turned and left the room. I picked up my purse, the ring catching the light. Well it seemed, now I had a fiancée. I was engaged to a woman who disliked me but was willing to overlook it so she could be the heiress of the most powerful corporations in South Korea and piss off her step-sister.
 

 

Certainly, that was the stuff dreams were made of.




 


 

* * * *

The afternoon was a whirlwind. Chaeyoung had indeed told Jane precisely what she wanted and the list was endless, it seemed. Dresses, pants, skirts, blouses, suits-a vast array of materials and colours drifted by me. There were also new bathing suits, lingerie and nightgowns. Items after item were tried on, discussed and either discarded or placed on the ever-growing pile of clothes to keep. Thankfully, after watching me for a short time, the footwear Jane picked out was all lowheeled. Still stylish, she assured me, but I had a better chance of staying upright. The last straw was the exercise clothing she showed me. By that point, I was beyond exasperated. I couldn't fathom a time I would need to have expensive workout clothes.
 

 

Chaeyoung had a private gym in her apartment for God's sake, though weirdly she disliked exercising. When Jane indicated it was on Chaeyoung's list, I threw up my hands and told her to add whatever she felt was suitable. I was done. I walked out of the store, carrying the outfit for the next day, wearing a new pair of jeans and a silk cowl neck top in a rich red colour. Chaeyoung apparently didn't want to see me arrive back in my "shabby stuff." I was silent on the car ride back, overwhelmed and tired. I carried my packages up to the Villa, letting myself in with my keys.
 

 

I knew Chaeyoung was in the office, so I hung my new dress in the closet, put away the few other items I had brought back with me then called the hospital to check on Sana. Her primary nurse told me she was sleeping but it hadn't been a good day, so I shouldn't visit. Sadness engulfed me as I sat looking out the window. I hated days like today; however she was right. Going would only upset me further.
 

 

I decided to rest for a while but soon fell asleep out of exhaustion. I was awakened by the appearance of three women and I looked to the time, it was five sharp in the evening, three hours before the event. They assisted me to a dressing table and unpacked their belongings.
 

 

I gawked at the branded makeup kits, never I had seen so much colour. That was really were going to be applied on my face, the product's price alone was equivalence to four months of my salary as a PA. I didn't think I would touch my face after that. My poor fingers were not qualified to risk ruining the makeup. I was still immersed when the other woman brought a black hairdresser suitcase. I gaped. Before I even commented on it, the last woman pulled an aluminium trolley and took out golden boxes, one after another. She opened it and I was about to turn blind as the sun's light shot through the window and towards the precious jewel. It had been decorated with an array of polished diamonds, tempting topaz, attractive amber and majestic moonstones. Rings, Necklaces, Bracelets. One look at the price had me almost fainted. My heart clenched in advance.
 

 

Jane suddenly appeared leaning on the door frame, I noticed her from the mirror's reflection. I turned around and my eyes were clearly asking for help. During my shopping with her, I had learned to know her a little bit. I considered her as my friend and that she would help me. I really thought. Not until she pulled two clothing rack. Dresses from Sheath, Strapless, Sundress, Trapeze, Shift, A-line, Bouffant, Halter dress, Gown etc. All in different colour and styles hung on the rack. She called, gathering the other woman's attention. "Blackpink gals, let's create a masterpiece" They all smirked and walked, no stalked closer. I heaved out a trembling breath.
 

 

"Oh God"



 







 

- to be continued-
_______________________________

RenOgura