final

For as long as she has unholy intent

“I got you a date with Red Velvet’s Irene.” were not the words Chorong ever expected to ever come out of Hayoung’s mouth. Especially not out of the blue, on a random day while they were taking a much needed break in the practice room; Especially not when all of her members knew that she liked Eunji— except Eunji herself.

 

“Why?” Chorong asked in a surprised screech.

 

“Joy needed 91-liners to take her out on a date.” Hayoung yawned as she slid beside Chorong and used her lap as a pillow. She closed her eyes and nudged at Chorong to baby her like usual. Chorong obliged and gave Hayoung gentle pats that helped her fall asleep.

 

“But why me?”

 

“Why not? Even your same-age friend, Solar, went on a date with her.” Hayoung answered.

 

“Solar?” Chorong was surprised. “But she’s dating Byul!”

 

“I know. And yeah she did.” Hayoung yawned again, sinking deeper into sleep. “They’re just practice dates anyway. Joy just needs to help Irene realize some important things.” Hayoung’s voice faded as she talked, until her words turned into light snores.

 

“Practice dates?” Chorong asked herself curiously. She’d talk to Hayoung later.


 

— 


 

“Look, it’s a practice date for Irene, and you’ll finally get to believe us when we tell you Eunji does like you.” Hayoung explained for the nth time as she helped Chorong spray on her favorite scent.

 

“Tea. For your nerves.” Bomi grinned as she handed Chorong a cup.

 

“How would we?” Chorong asked with such doubt in her voice. “She’s recording with our producers today!”

 

“Oh believe me, you’ll find out she’s jealous, alright.” Namjoo replied through Hayoung’s phone between munching sounds. The girl was at home eating pizza when Hayoung had called her asking for help in choosing an outfit. On the other frame beside Namjoo, Naeun was also in the call (and had helped pick out an outfit thirty minutes ago) except she had her cellphone propped up somewhere as the camera caught a glimpse of her a few steps away, filming an ad. Even though it was Hayoung who basically forced her into this, Chorong still felt good that she had everyone’s support.

 

“You look so pretty!” Namjoo squealed as Hayoung focused the camera on her. “Now get those cute shoes Naeun got you!”

 

“The Adidas ones?”

 

“No dummy! Not the rubber shoes! You aren’t going jogging!” Namjoo screeched with offense as Hayoung laughed and Bomi replied, “— but those shoes are comfy.” making Namjoo roll her eyes.

 

Chorong started laughing as well.


 


 

Chorong did try to put up a fight the last minute even though she was already fully dressed, she really did; but her hidden strength from all those years of Hapkido and her Pilates, were still no match for Bomi who was just as athletic, and Hayoung who (even though she hated to exercise) was still a giant. The two easily shoved her into their van and an hour later, she was already on her date with Irene. 


 

Irene was beautiful and polite, and she was just as quiet as Chorong. Maybe Chorong was a little more shy, and had clammed up most of the time. She had always been very nervous about meeting new people and that didn’t change when she became an idol. Sure it was nerve-wracking to talk to staff or other colleagues, hell, her hands got really sweaty when they first stood on stage— but those were things she got used to as time went by. And socializing? Chorong talked to her plants at home all the time to encourage air exchange, and her days were already constantly bothered by her Apink members. Being an idol was her job, and Chorong was a professional first, and a young grandma-at-heart second.

 

But meeting new people and talking to them on a personal level? Now that was scary. Not to mention if they were girls.

 

“Let’s ride this.” Irene smiled and pointed to a viking ride. Chorong had been forced to ride this a couple of times before, and she had to comply because it was work. She never wanted to punish herself during her personal time.

And yet, she found herself doing what she promised to herself she would never do

“S-Sure.” she gulped, and hesitantly followed Irene to the ride to sit beside her. The hairs at the back of her neck stood up as the staff locked the ride’s safety bars, securing them in their seat— also securing Chorong’s death for a couple of minutes.

 

Chorong thought about how she wouldn’t be in this situation if she had just mentioned to Irene that she was scared of just about everything in this park. If she was with Eunji, she’d never be forced to ride anything. Eunji would definitely try just to , yes, but it was easier to say no to Eunji because Chorong knew her well. And Chorong just didn’t have the heart to say no to any acquaintances. 

 

“ing stupid.” Chorong cursed at herself softly, gripping hard on the cold steel. Irene did not know that Chorong wasn’t just the biggest coward in the world, she was subtly also one of the most stubbornly righteous idols to ever set foot on earth. At least that’s what she told herself, but perhaps it was just her ego that still wanted to give a first impression even if it meant getting a heart attack.

 

Chorong out for a few seconds.


 

The black outs happened a few more times because Irene had insisted on a few more rides, and Chorong was too shy to say no. Practice or not, this was still a date and Chorong wanted Irene to experience the best she could give, even as every ride pulled the strength from her legs that she could barely hold her weight.

 

Chorong felt like she was about to die and she really was about to collapse when Irene suggested they finally grab a bite to eat. 

 

Chorong thought it was going well. At least Irene hadn’t left out of boredom or something, but then she looked at Chorong and said, “—If you don’t mind me asking something…”

 

Chorong stared at her, thinking if she had done anything wrong. If she was supposed to say something, she definitely missed the timing because Irene had already continued, “Hayoung told you that this is a date, right? From the way you’re acting, it doesn’t seem like you’re interested in the date.”

 

Chorong literally jumped out of her seat in surprise before catching herself and apologizing to Irene and the other diners whose attention she had caught. She started rambling in a panic, explaining that Hayoung sent Chorong here as a part of a plan their youngest had with Joy. That she was sent here because Hayoung believed Eunji would definitely get jealous and it will be an eye-opener that Chorong had been just oblivious to Eunji’s feelings as Eunji herself was.

 

When Chorong realized she just made an indirect confession yet again, (she had indirectly confessed to all the other Apink members all the time and they have about it ever since) she nervously looked back at Irene. To her relief, Irene just nodded. Chorong released the breath she didn’t realize she was holding and continued explaining herself. She didn’t even notice Irene reach out and brush something out of her hair until the deed had been done.

 

Irene had just removed dust that was stuck on her hair and Chorong blushed heavily. She had dirt stuck on her hair, maybe for the longest time— on a supposed date— with another pretty girl. Chorong had never been so embarrassed. She was about to stutter out another tirade to hide her embarrassment when Irene visibly shivered in front of her and started to look around, glancing at Chorong again, and then pausing at a random direction with a confused look in her eyes. Chorong followed her line of sight and was surprised to see Eunji marching towards them.

 

Chorong blushed again (maybe a little harder), seeing Eunji in her usual jeans and one of the shirts that was secretly one of Chorong’s favorites. 

 

“Eunji? What are you doing here? I thought you had a recording at the company today.”

 

“Yeah, that got postponed.” Eunji replied quickly. Chorong didn’t miss the slight annoyance in her voice. Figures, Eunji hated it whenever plans got cancelled or moved after she got out of bed.

 

“Anyway! I heard that you’re here so, I’m here as well! Remember the space drop ride you wanted to try? It’s open now! Let’s go.”

 

“Ah…” Chorong started. Eunji was not about to get her on another ride. Plus, she was on a date with Irene. “Irene here is afraid of heights, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

 

“It’s okay. Please go on ahead. I’m feeling a bit light-headed after the previous ride anyway…” Irene had added just when she was about to make another excuse. Chorong felt a little speck of betrayal maybe, after she had agreed to all those rides, “but I should be fine after sitting down for a bit.”

 

Upon Irene’s assurance and Eunji’s insistent pull, Chorong had no choice but to give in and promised that she would see Irene again after the ride was over.

 

When Eunji has pulled her away safely out of earshot from Irene, Chorong protested again, “You’re not making me ride the space drop.”

 

“I won’t.” Eunji replied. 

 

“Then where are we going? I can’t just leave Irene alone, we’re on a date and—”

 

“I already texted Wendy,” Eunji replied again, flatly. Chorong finally noticed something wrong in her tone and was about to ask out of concern but then she was distracted by Eunji’s tug and realized that they were holding hands. Chorong’s mind became empty, all until they came to a stop.


 

“Why did you agree to those rides when you know you couldn't handle them?” Eunji scolded her as they sat on one of the amusement park’s benches that was generously shaded by a tree. It was located at one of the least popular sides of the park, the temperature a little cooler due to the lack of a big crowd. “I can’t believe this, what if I didn’t come?”

 

“I’m fine, Eunji,” Chorong replied, not really in the mood to get scolded by the younger. The whole date had already taken so much from her, and Eunji’s nagging wasn’t really helping her recover from the stress from all those rides. “What are you so mad about?”

 

“This!” Eunji pointed out. “You didn’t have to push yourself for this stupid date. Can’t you say no to other people for once? I can’t lie about you wanting to ride the space drop every time! What if she knew you hated all the scary rides?”

 

As she listened, Chorong realized she had a headache. Throbbing and nauseating, and surely caused by all those rides. Now that she was aware of it, it started to feel a lot worse with Eunji’s non-stop nagging. She closed her eyes, silently enduring the pulsating pain as Eunji grumbled, and only managed to catch the end of Eunji’s rant. “ — you’re a pushover.”

 

“What?” Chorong frowned. “I just wanted Irene to have fun on our date!”

 

“And that’s exactly why I said what I said!” Eunji sneered. “You don’t need to please other people all the time!”

 

“I can do whatever I want!”

 

“And yet you said no to all the times I tried making you ride a stupid roller coaster, or go skydiving with me! Fine, if you like Irene that much, then why don’t you go back there and continue your stupid date?”

 

“Oh, so that’s what you’re really mad about?” Chorong stood up, having had enough of their discussion. “Maybe I will go back to that stupid date, or maybe I won’t. You can’t tell me what to do!”

 

Before the girl could reply, Chorong turned around and angrily stomped away, not even bothering to wait for whatever Eunji had to say.

 

 

They ignored each other the next day, all while trying to keep the rest of the members out of their spat. Chorong made sure she stayed at one end of their line, while Eunji planted herself at the other.


 

“Do you think we don’t notice every time you give each other the cold shoulder?” Hayoung asked after a few days. 

 

It has been a week after Chorong’s date with Irene, and Hayoung had decided to hang out at Chorong and Bomi’s place to play PUBG with Bomi.

 

“What?” Chorong sat up in attention from the couch and asked even though she knew what Hayoung meant. The only Apink member she ever fights with is Eunji. Usually, the Apink members would immediately fall in line from her nagging, but Eunji would sometimes challenge her authority. The girl hated rules, and Chorong knew it took a lot of effort for the girl to keep all her mischief in.

And aside from her, no one else from Apink ever had the courage to scold Chorong about any of her very rare mistakes and flaws.

 

Despite her strong and straightforward personality, however, Eunji had a lot of patience and understanding rooted in her veins. Throughout the years, Chorong has watched her try to improve in everything; from her singing and her acting, to her impatience and sleeping habits. Chorong has yet to see Eunji wake up early for a change, and sometimes she has to go to Eunji’s apartment to wake the girl up herself, but Chorong knows she tries.

 

Everything about Eunji was the complete opposite of Chorong, a walking clash of opinion. She was a source of Chorong’s headaches during Apink’s early years. The only person who can easily coax the usually shy and timid Chorong out of her shell and even explode if she had to— most of the time at Eunji herself. 

And yet, Chorong found herself falling in love with her.

Namjoo once joked that Chorong probably fell in love with every argument they had, but no one knew how spot on she was. Chorong kept that to herself.

Who falls in love with disagreements, anyway? Chorong wasn’t a moth unaware of the dangers of fire. She was smarter than that.

And yet—

 

“You’re here,” Hayoung stated simply as she and Bomi started another round of their game. “and Eunji is at her apartment right now.”

 

“And? This is my house.”

 

“Exactly. This is your apartment, but you’re never here when Eunji’s free. You’re always at her apartment… So, why are you here when Eunji is over there? I know she doesn’t have a schedule today.” Hayoung said while having her eyes glued at the laptop monitor. “I know because I tried to get into her apartment again today… and got rejected as usual.” Hayoung turned to her and pouted jokingly. “It’s unfair no one else has ever set foot on her apartment except you.”

 

“Not even me.” Bomi seconded as she played. “—goddamit. I’m down, Hayoung. Revive me!— I live with you and yet I never get invited to her place. She’s literally a floor away!”

 

“Maybe she thinks you’ll all just make a mess.” Chorong defended. She couldn’t really pinpoint what she was being defensive about, but she was.

 

“Whatever, what’s the title of the argument this time?” Hayoung asked. "Just save your breath from lying and tell us the truth."

 

Chorong sighed in defeat, “Riding all the rides during that date with Irene.”

 

“From a week ago? And she’s still mad about that?” Hayoung and Bomi looked at her in shock, causing both of their characters to die in the game. “Wow, that worked better than I thought!”

 

“Worked? How in the world did that plan of yours work?”

 

“Didn’t you fight because she was jealous?”

 

“No, we fought because she was mad that I said yes to every damn ride Irene wanted to try. Shee called me a pushover.”

 

Bomi gasped softly at this, knowing well that Chorong feared every single ride that wasn’t made for children four years old and below. “You rode everything? Even the roller coaster?”

 

Chorong nodded and shivered as she remembered that day. “Except the space drop.”

 

“You really rode everything else?” Hayoung laughed. “God, you really can’t say no to other people. Maybe you are a pushover.”

 

Chorong glared at Hayoung while the younger immediately raised her hand in surrender. She was brave and sometimes poked at Chorong, but she was nowhere as brave as Eunji.

“You’re the one who set me up on that date.” Chorong frowned. “I didn’t want to be rude to her.”

 

“You said yes to it though! And you could’ve said no and told Irene you’re a big chicken. Irene would’ve understood. Besides, the whole purpose of the date was to see if Eunji would get jealous so you can finally believe us when we say she likes you too, not for you guys to ignore each other for a whole week!”

 

“Isn’t it about time for you guys to make up already? Why don’t you go up there?” Bomi asked.

 

“I can’t. What if she’s still mad?” Chorong replied. “I feel so bad for lashing out at her that day.”

 

“I’m sure she feels just as bad as you do.” Hayoung consoled her.

 

“Yeah.” Bomi stood up from where she was sitting from and grabbed Chorong’s wrist, gently pulling her to stand up. “Time to get out of the apartment. You’re not supposed to be here.”

 

When Chorong planted her weight down and didn’t budge, Hayoung came in for the assist and grabbed a hold of Chorong’s other wrist. She didn’t pull at Chorong gently like Bomi did, and with the strength one would expect from a giant even though she didn’t exercise, Chorong found herself being shoved outside and locked out of her own apartment by Hayoung.

 

“I won’t open the door until midnight.” Hayoung announced.

 

“Fine. I’ll just hang out at a nearby convenience store then!”

 

“Wearing that? With what coat and with what money?” Hayoung snickered from the other side of the door.

 

Chorong glanced at the outfit she was wearing and cursed softly. A loose shirt and her old jogging pants. If she didn’t care about her idol image one bit (which she did) she wouldn’t have cared, but it was deathly cold outside, and she knew she wouldn’t last one second without getting sick.

 

Defeated, she slowly walked towards the elevator. 

 

She found herself in front of Eunji’s door too soon despite taking her sweet time. She paced in front of it while simultaneously attempting to knock on the door and chickening out on the last second. She had already taken fifteen minutes in front of Eunji’s door when it suddenly opened.

 

Chorong flinched in surprise and found herself in front of Eunji— phone in hand and not the least bit surprised she was in front of her door.

 

“Get in, it’s cold.” Eunji said flatly, stepping aside to let her in. When Chorong hesitated for a second too long, Eunji sighed softly and gently grabbed her hand, pulling her in gently and closing the door.

 

Eunji let go of her hand and walked away silently. She settled on her couch where Chorong figured she was before opening the door, and went back to eating cereal from the bowl that was on her coffee table. Awkwardly, Chorong followed and sat down beside her, a good two square pillows away, and watched the show Eunji was watching in silence.

 

“How did you know I was in front of your door?” Chorong couldn’t help but ask a few minutes later. 

 

“Hayoung texted me.” Eunji answered. She refused to even give a glance Chorong’s way.

 

When she couldn’t take the awkward silence much longer, Chorong carefully scooted beside her, silently sweeping the two pillows between them and placed her head on Eunji’s shoulder, ignoring the way it tensed at Chorong’s action.

 

After a few seconds, she felt the girl relax. “Have you eaten?” Eunji hummed, and Chorong knew they were okay even if no one said ‘sorry’. They never did apologize after every argument. They were both too prideful to apologize with words, but were also understanding enough to not force each other for one.

 

“No.” Chorong hummed back. “I was about to cook lunch when the other dumb and dumber combo locked me out of the apartment.”

 

Eunji laughed softly and stood up— gently moving away from Chorong’s light hug. “I’ll cook us lunch then. How does braised chicken sound?”

 

Chorong smiled and nodded, warming up to the sound of Eunji’s voice saying that she’ll cook for her. It wasn’t the first time Eunji was going to cook for her, but braised chicken has never sounded this good.


 


 

A few uneventful months had already passed when Chorong received a text from Irene inviting her out for a meal. Chorong easily complied, and met with the other 91-liner at a bar that mostly catered to public personalities like them. 

 

“I’m really sorry for last time.” Irene apologized as they ate their lunch.

 

“What are you being sorry for? I had fun.” Chorong replied easily.

 

Irene shook her head at her reply. “I heard Hayoung tell Joy about it just yesterday. My apology is already excruciatingly late, I’m really sorry. If I knew you didn’t like those rides, I would’ve—”

 

“Don’t worry about it. Really.” Chorong assured her. “I did have fun despite all that.”

 

“Was the date after ours more fun?” Irene grinned at Chorong shyly.

 

“I was just with Eunji—” Chorong started, but then, realization registered in her eyes as Irene’s question sunk in. “Wait how did you— Did Hayoung tell you?” she squeaked, voice pitching intensely higher than usual.

 

“No, I just assumed from the way she stormed in and took you away.” Irene laughed, highly entertained as Chorong turned a deep shade of red.

 

There was a beat of silence. “We fought.” Chorong confessed as she stared intensely at the table. When Irene didn’t say anything else, she looked up and saw Irene sporting a guilty look on her face. “It was nothing, really. Just the usual spats we have from time to time!” Chorong immediately cleared, waving her hands to dismiss what Irene was thinking. “We didn’t speak to each other for a week, and then we made up.”

 

“She gave you the cold shoulder, huh?” Irene rolled her eyes and smiled. “Wendy loves pretending I don’t exist too whenever we fight. One time, it lasted for quite some time that even our fans caught up.”

 

Chorong laughed softly as she nodded in agreement. “So…. You and Wendy?” she asked. Her shoulders unconsciously raised shyly.

 

A light blush appeared on Irene’s face this time. “Well, I went out on a date with her sister last week. She suggested it, but it wasn’t really a date... I think... We just went to the beach with her and the other members.”

 

The look of concern on Chorong’s face urged Irene to continue. 

 

“Seunghee kind of spent the whole ‘date’ making me realize I liked Wendy.” Irene said. When Chorong couldn’t help but comment, ‘oh, I have a younger sister named Seunghee.’ —only to catch herself and sheepishly apologize the instant the words came out of , the two of them couldn’t help but laugh.

 

“And?” Chorong excitedly asked after their laughter died down. She looked like a child waiting for her favorite snack, that Irene almost had no heart to crush her expectations.

 

“Well, I haven’t confessed yet.” Chorong’s lips immediately curved into a sad frown, and Irene laughed at how she looked like she was tearing up. “You look like you’re about to cry.” Irene laughed. “Is this how you capture your fans?”

 

“I was told it was a natural talent.” Chorong chuckled, schooling her expression. “They always tease me that I can’t do y concepts, though, so there’s that.” Chorong sighed and sipped at the glass of water on her table, a signal for Irene to continue.

 

“I don’t think I can tell Wendy yet.” Irene confessed. “But I will. Soon… Maybe…”

 

“I’m rooting for you.” Chorong said softly, and Irene wondered why they never talked at all before this. Unbeknownst to her, Chorong was thinking the same thing. Blame their introverted personalities, probably.

 

“You too.” Irene echoed back.

 

Chorong replied with a scrunch of her nose. “I don’t think Eunji likes me the way I like her.”

 

“Does she not?” Irene queried. “She did jealously stomp her way towards us during our ‘date’.

 

“She’s over-protective of all our members like that.” Chorong said. “She leads the members in filtering out suitors for each of us.” she shared with a light chuckle, thinking about all the times Eunji blocked and nagged at the members for dating or letting suspicious guys contact any of them. She blushed at the thought, something that Irene didn’t miss. When Chorong finally caught herself from her trance, she cleared in an attempt to hide her embarrassment. “She takes special care of Hayoung, since that tall brat is still our youngest.”

 

“Does she skip her studio appointments whenever she finds out Hayoung has a date too?” Irene lightly teased, she knew she was kind of over-sharing what Eunji confided to Wendy, but she didn’t really care.

 

“She doesn’t skip any of her appointments. She’s really a handful but she always gives it her all when it comes to work.” Chorong’s proud smile wasn’t missed by Irene.

 

“Oh,” Irene decided not to tell Chorong about Eunji skipping out of their studio when she heard about their date just yet. “when she texted Wendy to come and pick me up because she said she would not let me spend any more time with you 'for as long as I have unholy intent', does she do that for Hayoung too?”

 

Chorong paled. “Oh my god! She said that?” Chorong hid her face behind her hands in embarrassment. “I can’t believe she’d say that about you when you clearly liked Wendy! I’m sorry! I’m going to beat her up the minute I get home.”

 

Chorong was completely missing the point. Irene groaned to herself. As much as she wanted to help out her new friend, she had promised Wendy she wouldn’t meddle too much.

 

And so, an hour later after they parted ways, Chorong was still the oblivious idiot Irene once was.

 

 

After her dinner with Irene, Chorong found herself hanging out at Eunji’s apartment as usual, sitting beside each other with two cans of beer and a cheesy movie Eunji let her choose. She had forgotten about beating Eunji up as she told Irene, the thought drowned by the pleasant conversation they shared after that.

 

Chorong was happy that she finally made another girl friend. Being born into Hapkido and practicing it for years before she decided to be an idol, Chorong has always been more comfortable befriending guys. Even her close friendship with Solar, wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for Changsub who introduced them to each other. Those two are going to squeal when they find out she finally made a friend without their help. She may not be a social butterfly like Eunji, but she was trying too.

 

She glanced at the girl beside her, who was watching the movie intently and cringing all the same. Eunji was such a social butterfly— again, another glaring contrast she has with Chorong. The girl easily attracts people to her and could make friends with almost everyone. It’s amazing— she’s amazing, and it inspires Chorong to try at the very least.

 

Eunji laughed at whatever scene the movie was in, too preoccupied to focus on the film as she unconsciously drowned in thoughts about the girl beside her.

 

In fact, Chorong was busy going over how Eunji’s smile was so warm that she confessed to herself a few times that maybe she wants to kiss her and that maybe she wanted Eunji to stop and keep those smiles reserved just for her.

 

She was so busy thinking about how selfish she was being, and yet equal parts wishing for it to happen sometimes, that when a voice interrupted her thoughts, she was completely off guard.

 

“If you’re going to keep staring at me like that, I’m going to kiss you.”

 

“W-What?” Chorong sputtered. She felt her face heat up as she stuttered out that first letter. By the millisecond that she averted her eyes from Eunji’s mouth and met her own, she already rivaled the color of a fully ripe tomato. Thank god for the dim lights.

 

“The movie. I knew they would use it again at the end.” Eunji answered innocently. Not realizing the effect the line she mindlessly just repeated had on Chorong. She laughed. “‘If you keep staring at me like that, I’m going to kiss you.’ Hah. This movie is so basic.”

 

Chorong swallowed and finally inhaled air after she forgot to breathe. “Why are you watching it, then?” She challenged. A defense mechanism she specially developed against Eunji. She forgot why or when she developed this specific reaction to Eunji, but it was the best she could do rather than just succumbing to her desires and kissing the annoyingly smug smirk Eunji wore most of the time. 

 

Eunji raised an eyebrow curiously, “Because you like it, that’s why.” she reasoned in passing, standing up and taking the empty cans of beer and dirty dishes with her as the movie credits rolled. “I said you could pick the movie. It wouldn’t be movie night if I didn’t watch it with you now, would it?” She threw the empty cans in the bin and the dishes in the sink and settled back beside Chorong who was yet to speak. “Did you like the movie?”

 

Chorong just nodded guiltily. She couldn’t exactly say— I don’t know, I was kind of preoccupied thinking about whether or not I should kiss you— now, could she?

 

“Of course you would.” Eunji smiled with adoration. Before her thoughts go back to where they were, Chorong excused herself to go to the bathroom, inwardly blaming the alcohol for her mildly inappropriate thoughts.

 

After emptying the consequences the beer had on her bladder, Chorong proceeded to splash water on her face after washing her hands. It was a fruitless effort of removing Eunji from her thoughts, not when in front of her were two toothbrushes, neatly placed in front of her; not when her hand automatically reached for a pink towel contrasting Eunji’s blue one beside it. God, she has almost the same arrangement with the bathroom she shared with Bomi, but she never blushed like this thinking about living with her roommate.

 

Chorong stumbled out of the bathroom even redder than before, only this time, Eunji had already the lights while she was inside.

 

“Did you drink too much?” Eunji asked concernedly, already beside her in just a few strides. “We only drank two cans, why are you really red? Are you sick?”

 

“N-No. I’m fine.” Chorong answered, trying to hide her face with her hands to no avail. Eunji was already so close, leaning and placing her forehead against Chorong’s, checking her temperature.

 

“Did you drink during your date with Irene earlier?”

 

“What?” Chorong flinched away in mild shock. “How did you know about that?”

 

“She texted you while you were in the bathroom.” Eunji shrugged, her voice a little lower than usual. “I thought it was Bomi asking if you were staying the night here again. Sorry.”

 

Chorong unlocked her phone and read Irene’s message as Eunji talked.

 

‘Thank you for the pleasant afternoon, Chorong. I had more fun this time around. A recent development happened when I got home, but I wanted to tell you in person. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow? You’re a guest on the next episode of Running Man with Bomi and Naeun, right? I’ll be there with Wendy and Seulgi too!’

 

Chorong gulped, “It’s fine.” she answered nervously. She wasn’t really sure what she was nervous about, she just was.

 

“You should’ve told me you drank with her beforehand. I wouldn’t have offered you a beer. You have a schedule tomorrow.”

 

“I’m fine,” Chorong answered again, still avoiding eye contact with Eunji even as she forced a relaxed smile. Her face still felt hot. Surely, that meant she still looked beet red. That damn alcohol. “I should go back.”

 

“Want me to walk you to your apartment?”

 

The mere mention of her apartment funnily made Chorong think about how she seemed like she was living with Eunji more than she did at her own home. She felt her cheeks burn again, so she scrambled for her keys and her phone, hiding her face as much as she could. “No thanks.” Chorong all but stumbled out of Eunji’s apartment, saying good night as she closed the door.

 

 

“Wendy confessed yesterday.” Irene shared with a big smile right after their still shy hellos. They were preparing to film for the game and ended up getting teamed together.

 

“You’re dating now?” Chorong whispered. When Irene nodded, she squealed, grabbing the attention of everyone else on set. “Sorry.” She rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly and apologized before turning back to Irene. “I’m really happy for you!”

 

“Thank you!” Irene smiled, glancing at her now girlfriend at the other team— who was already looking at her, sporting a blush of her own that paired with Irene.

 

— 

 

‘Wendy baked for me today. It was worth the calories. The dorm smelled so good.’

 

‘Ah, I’m so jealous. Some of us are single. Stop sharing these things with me!’

 

‘Don’t the both of you cook for each other all the time?’

 

‘You know that’s not the same.’

 

‘But it is.’

 

 

“Hey.”

 

Chorong glanced up at the voice and found Eunji putting down her bags on the living room floor. "Hey."

 

“You let yourself in alone?”

 

“Bomi is filming something for Bbom Bbom Bbom again.” Chorong sighed.

 

“Must be bad if she got you to evacuate.”

 

“She had two boxes of Harry Potter jelly beans.” Chorong faked a gag. “I am not going to be forced to eat what might or might not be vomit.”

 

“Sounds fun.” Eunji grinned. She strode over to Chorong and basically collapsed beside her.

 

“Shouldn’t you get some sleep? You’ve been out since 4AM.”

 

“Wow, our leader is so attentive.” Eunji teased, making Chorong blush for getting caught. Not that Eunji looked like she knew Chorong kept an extra eye out for her. 

 

“Of course. You’re the most troublesome of them all.” Chorong reasoned, thanking god Eunji was the most troublesome out of all the Apink members, even though Bomi and Hayoung could be complete idiots at times.

 

Eunji placed her head on Chorong’s lap and stretched her legs across the couch, a soft sigh and a contented hum escaping her.

 

Chorong’s phone made a sound.

‘Wendy said we should double date next time! As soon as you get your dumb head out of your asses.’

 

That made Chorong emit an offended gasp and then a giggle as she typed. 

 

‘Wendy didn’t say that.’

 

‘You’re right. The last part was from me. :D’

 

Chorong chuckled again, not noticing that Eunji had been watching her since the cute giggles she made.

 

‘Is this how it’s going to be now?’

 

“What’s got you in a good mood?” Eunji asked cautiously. Which Chorong didn’t notice because the girl had wrapped it up in a nice flat tone.

 

“Oh, Irene.” Chorong replied, still chuckling from that last text. “She said I—“ and then she stopped herself, realizing the texts would seem like an indirect confession to the girl in front of her. She started panicking. Flustered, she waved her hands vaguely and said, “N-nothing… just some dumb joke about taxes.”

 

“Taxes…” Eunji said in a tone that was suspicious, splashed with a hint of something else Chorong couldn’t point out. Her eyebrow was raised, as she looked at Chorong and tilted her head.

 

“Yeah, just some dumb, uh, math joke.” Eunji hated math. This should work.

 

“Right…” Eunji replied with a silent beat later. She cleared and pulled herself up. “Lunch?”

 

She sounded weak, so Chorong offered and said, “Let me cook this time. You’re tired.”

 

“Nah. I got it.” Eunji shrugged and forced a smile. She must be really tired, but Chorong knew she would have a hard time forcing Eunji to rest. So she just nodded when Eunji asked, “Beef stew?”

 

Chorong’s phone dinged again. 

 

‘Yup. Until I get that double-date.’

 

 

After that day, Eunji started to distance herself, Chorong thought. But she really couldn’t say because Apink had no plans of a comeback yet, and each of them were busy with their own thing— especially Naeun, who had tons of CFs and a new drama; and Eunji who had her DJ gig and other guestings. She barely even saw Bomi, her actual roommate who was busy with her own acting drama among other things. It was usual as a senior group who was already established enough, and Apink was free to accept whatever projects they wanted, but something was definitely weird.

 

Chorong had tried surprising Eunji after filming for a variety show, just because. She missed her after not seeing her for two weeks, and even though Chorong was tired, she figured she could recharge from a hug or even just a teasing brush of Eunji’s hand on her chin.

 

She had asked their manager (who accompanied Eunji that day) where Eunji was, and was told that he had dropped Eunji off at the company before going home for the night. Eunji was working late by herself, again.

 

Chorong knocked at Eunji’s door with two cups of americano— one for Eunji and one for herself, planning to stay with her until the workaholic decided to go home. After a few more raps against the locked studio, Chorong tilted her head in confusion. Maybe she isn’t here? She switched the cups she was holding on one hand to the other and tried again.

 

“Chorong. Are you coming with me?” A voice asked behind her.

 

“Oh. Uh…” Chorong replied to her manager who was already dangling the company’s car keys. “Yeah. I’ll be right there.” She hesitated for another second, glancing back at Eunji’s door before following her manager to the parking lot.

 

“Do you know where Eunji is?” Chorong caught up to her manager and asked as she handed him what was supposed to be Eunji’s americano.

 

“Thanks.” He replied as he took the cup and sipped on the coffee. He looked to the left and casually pointed with his thumb while still sipping on the coffee. “Wasn’t she still here? Isn’t that her favorite land rover right there?”

 

It was. Chorong was surprised and a little annoyed that Eunji didn’t open the door. But then, concern hit her as the van exited the company building and entered the road. She dialled Eunji’s number just to check. It rang for three dreadful cycles before Eunji finally answered.

 

“Where are you?” Chorong immediately asked as soon as Eunji picked up. “I was knocking at your studio. I thought you weren’t there but then your car was in the parking lot and I got worried.”

 

The other end of the line stayed silent for too long, and Chorong was about to give Eunji another piece of her mind when Eunji replied, “I was asleep… sorry.” flatly, like she didn’t really mean it. Her voice wasn’t husky either, which was a definite giveaway whenever she caught Eunji sleeping.

 

“Oh, but you’re okay?” Chorong asked.

 

There’s a thin strand of silence again before Eunji’s reply. “Yeah. Take care going home.”

 

“O-okay…” Chorong replied hesitantly, caught off-guard when it seemed to her like Eunji wanted to end the conversation quickly. “You too. Good night… Don’t stay up too late, okay?” Eunji hummed in reply and the call was dropped.

 

Eunji definitely felt like she was distancing herself from Chorong.

 

 

If she wasn’t that sure before, she was sure now. For another week, Eunji had come up with almost every believable excuse to be busy, and was often out with her friends. They were all busy enough, especially her, but it had been days since Eunji had last even breathed in her apartment. Chorong knows because she started sleeping there five nights ago, texting Eunji an excuse that Bomi and Solar were cooking up some weird plan for their youtube channels— and after Bomi and Solar threw her fake cockroaches, Chorong has had it. Not really. It did happen, but Chorong was soft enough for her best friends that she wouldn’t kill them over fake cockroaches, but it was a good excuse and Bomi and Solar thought so too. She had it bad, missing Eunji, and it just felt more comfortable to sleep in her apartment.

 

Her text had gone unanswered for almost the entire day, before Eunji finally answered with a thumbs up emoji. At this point, Chorong is deeply annoyed and frustrated, but it was still nice to know Eunji was okay.

 

 

‘I think it’s my fault somehow.’ Irene texted her.

 

‘How is it your fault?’ Chorong replied back. ‘That brat gets on one of her moods sometimes and then she’s suddenly mad at me because of who knows what. She used to answer back at me whenever she was mad about something. She should’ve just stuck to that instead of ignoring me.’

 

‘Awwww. You miss her! :) :3 :”>’

 

‘I do not. And smileys? Really? I thought we weren’t kids!’ Chorong replied, referring to an inside joke that they shared after talking about how the ‘kids’ sent out very childish texts filled with emojis.

 

‘Hey! You do a BUNCH of emojis whenever you text Eunji!’

 

Chorong gasped. She typed a panicked ‘I do not!’, erased it, and instead sent out, ‘How did you know that??!???’


 

There’s a longer gap from Irene’s usual replies whenever she was free.

 

‘Sorry! That was Wendy! She took my phone while I washed my face.’

 

‘Irene, please ask you girlfriend HOW she knows that?’

 

‘She said she saw it once when she was hanging out with Eunji. You guys were texting each other. She took a quick peek out of curiousity and saw your texts.. Apparently, you kept sending those emoji hearts a lot.’ Chorong paled and then blushed in embarrassment. ‘That’s cute, Chorong. I see you can be such a child too. [wink emoji] (PS yes, I really did type that emoji…. for the gags)'

 

Chorong laughed, half at Irene’s joke, and the other because she was embarrassed. She was still typing out an excuse when she received another text. 

 

‘Don’t worry!! She sends emojis to me too!! Once, she even sent me R18 ones too. I was so shocked [shocked face emoji]’

Chorong was confused for a second and then realized with a laugh that it was probably Wendy who just texted. 

 

She received a few more others. This time, clearly Irene;


 

‘LIES!!! I do not!!!’

 

‘Okay, maybe I do send emojis… but only to her! Just like you do to Eunji, I bet!’

 

(She was right)

 

‘but the last part was a complete lie! I just wanted her to buy a toy for her cousin Minhyung, and vegetables! And tacos for dinner! I thought writing them in emoji would be funny! It was her damn mind’s fault for thinking something dirty.’

 

Chorong laughed hard at this, almost choking on air while tears started pooling in her eyes.

 

‘I won’t tell anyone. But I can’t promise I won’t tease you from time to time. :) (for the gags)’ she replied.


 

 

When the next week started looking like Eunji wasn’t going to show her face any time soon, Chorong really has had enough and decided to hunt Eunji down.

 

She has spent the past few days ranting to the other Apink members (mostly Bomi who had no choice but to listen) and Irene. When she thought she bothered them enough for the day, she ranted to her older sister when she visited their home— basically, she ranted to almost anyone who knew. Her niece and nephew were very adorable, and their kisses and coos at Chorong were a good distraction, until her brother-in-law arrived and kissed her sister with a smile— making Chorong’s mind wander far into her future and found Eunji in it, doing the exact same thing. Chorong left the house a huge ball of conflicting emotions ready to explode.

 

“Open up, Eunji! I know you’re in here!” Chorong all but broke down Eunji’s bedroom door after stomping inside her apartment. She had threatened all of Apink’s managers and all of them confessed out of fear that Eunji was at home, getting fresh clothes when they told her Chorong was at her sister’s house. Usually, their managers steered clear of Eunji and Chorong’s fights, not wanting to be killed in the crossfire. This was always what went up whenever they fought, and it usually died away in time, so no one batted an eyelash when they were ignoring each other again. After all, they always kept arguments outside of work.

 

“Jeong Eunji, I will break down your ing door!” Chorong shouted out of frustration.

 

After a few seconds, she heard shuffling, and then the door opens, revealing Eunji.

 

“What?” she answered like she was bored, and it ticked Chorong off even more.

 

She will explode if she talked to her again at this rate, so Chorong just curled a fist in anger as she shoved a piece of paper at Eunji’s chest, as gentle as she could, given her anger. (Eunji will confess it did hurt, but seeing how angry Chorong was, she thought she could have gotten it worse.) “I can’t talk to you right now. I might say something I might regret later. Meet me there tomorrow or else.” Chorong turned around and stomped her way out the door, leaving a confused (and unmeasurably scared) Eunji standing by herself.

 

 

Chorong waited for Eunji five blocks away from the restaurant where she met with Irene months after their ‘date’. It was almost 3PM, three hours past lunch, but Irene was nice enough to agree to meet them there and grab a late meal. It was a bonus that Wendy also had a prior appointment and would also be free only after 2PM. 

 

Eunji also had her radio until 2PM. She should be arriving by now.

 

Chorong adjusted her cap and mask, smiling to herself as she saw a car— Eunji’s car, stop in front of her. She opened the door and leaned in. “I’m driving,” she said with finality. Eunji made a sound of protest, but Chorong is already closing the door of the passenger seat, waiting outside for Eunji to alight the car and hand Chorong her keys.

 

Eunji is silent throughout the short drive, looking outside with an elbow against the armrest and her chin on her hand, her eyebrows furrowed and her lips curled to a frown. Chorong can’t help but think she’s beautiful still.

 

When they arrive at the restaurant, Eunji finally breaks her silent protest by asking, “We’re eating?” 

 

“Late lunch,” Chorong replied as they entered the restaurant. “I know you haven’t eaten yet.” At this, Eunji finally smiled, and Chorong had to take a quick moment to stop herself from kissing her in front of all the people around them. It may be a restaurant that catered only to public personalities, and there may be an unwritten rule they all follow to mind their own business, but Chorong still thought it wouldn’t hurt to be careful. 

 

They are assisted to a private room already reserved by Chorong, and Eunji was finally in a good enough mood to joke, “A private area for lunch?” Eunji teased, “that’s a little too romantic if it’s just the two of us. Are you going to propose to me?”

 

Chorong’s cheeks heated up as she cleared . She was just going to confess and she wasn’t going to do it right now, or maybe she’ll wait until Eunji confesses first, but Chorong hated how timely Eunji’s joke was.

 

“We’re eating with a friend,” Chorong replied, before gently pushing Eunji into the room.

 

As soon as she saw Irene sitting at the table for four, Eunji’s smile dropped.

 

“Hi!” Irene greeted with a smile.

 

“Hello.” Eunji’s smile is back in an instant, and it looked so genuine, like she hadn’t frowned for a good blink just seconds ago.

 

Hayoung was right when she said Eunji was so good at keeping her feelings to herself. Everyone was right about that, and Irene said it wasn’t Chorong’s fault she never noticed, if Eunji was hiding it from her, then she would have the hardest time noticing. 

 

But she was going to be paying close attention this time around.


 

Chorong urged Eunji to walk ahead as she handed her card to the waiter. She watched as Eunji reluctantly settled across the empty seat beside Irene. After paying for the already prepared full-course meal, Chorong walked toward their table. And just because she was still a little mad that Eunji had ignored her for weeks, Chorong purposely sits down beside Irene.

 

Irene looked at her in surprise but easily caught on. She smiled and quickly showed Chorong a picture of Joy’s dog recently shared on the girl’s group chat with her members. As she cooed at the dog, Chorong glanced at Eunji and Irene followed by showing Eunji her screen. In an instant, the sad frown Eunji had been silently sporting disappeared into another smile. So quick that Chorong wouldn’t have caught it before. 

 

“Ah… It’s so cute!” Eunji replied with a big smile and a scrunch of her nose. She did love dogs. 

 

As if on cue, Wendy arrived just a few minutes later as Eunji wallowed in her jealousy (and definitely a hint of self-pity). The girl greets the three of them and throws Irene an exceptionally large smile.

 

“You’re here too?” Eunji asked.

 

Chorong stood up and moved beside Eunji. 

 

“Yeah. Didn’t they tell you?” Wendy removed her coat and handed it to a waiter before sitting beside Irene. “This is a double date.”

 

Everyone else blushed and Chorong quickly looked at Irene in panic. Irene laughed out loud, a little robotically, and elbowed Wendy subtly (but hard) right on her ribs.

 

Wendy coughed and laughed. “I was just kidding!” she raised her hands in surrender.

 

Eunji relaxed after a few moments, and Chorong curiously watched her expressions change into something can’t quite read.

 

The late lunch ended up lasting until the night with everyone in a good mood, especially after dessert.

 

As they started to bid their goodbyes, Chorong excused herself to go to the bathroom and was immediately followed by Irene.

 

“So…. tonight?” Irene asked her excitedly as she washed her hands. 

 

“Maybe. Whatever happens.” Chorong laughed. She tried her hands with a tissue and threw it away as she walked past a bin. “You aren’t going to use the bathroom?”

 

“No. I just came here to ask you that.” Irene grinned.

 

When they arrived back at the table, Irene happily skipped ahead of Chorong and grabbed Wendy by the arm, adorably pulling at her while calling her name.

 

Wendy smiled sweetly and lovingly at Irene as she stood up, cueing Eunji to do the same. Chorong gestured at Eunji to come to her— that it was time to go, when Wendy suddenly leaned in and kissed Irene, right in the comfort of only two pairs of eyes.

 

Eunji tripped on her own foot and stumbled, almost hitting her face on the table, but thankfully catching herself before she did.

 

“I— What?” Eunji looked like she had just been smacked by a chicken, and Chorong couldn’t help but laugh at her confused face. 

 

“Oh…. uh... oops.” Wendy laughed as she and Irene glanced at Eunji and then turned to Chorong.

 

“Well—” Irene started.

 

“Gotta go!” Wendy pulled at Irene and practically ran out, leaving a shocked Eunji and a wheezing Chorong behind them.

 

“Are you going to just stand there or are we going home?” Chorong asked Eunji after she finally stabled her breathing. At the sound of her voice, Eunji finally snapped out of her trance and walked with her out of the restaurant.

 

“You don’t have anything to say or ask?” Chorong tried as she strapped her seatbelt on the passenger seat.

 

“Well, uhh… I thought you—”

 

“No, Irene has been dating Wendy for months.”

 

“She never told me.” Eunji looked betrayed. “Wendy... What a friend.”

 

Chorong laughed as she sent Irene a quick text:

 

‘You got that double date you asked for.’

 

She dropped her phone in her bag. She wasn’t going to need it anyway. She was with Eunji and Irene wasn’t definitely going to reply anytime soon.

 

“Drive, Eunji. Let’s go home.”

 

 

STREAMING

DON’T COME IN

CHICKEN DINNER

- Y. O

 

had been posted on the door of Chorong’s apartment when they arrived.

 

“I can’t believe I’m getting kicked out of my own apartment, again.” Chorong sighed before walking to the elevator with Eunji behind her.

 

She went straight into Eunji’s floor and opened her door, throwing herself heavily on Eunji’s couch.

 

“I could pass out right here, right now.”

 

Eunji chuckled. “Not before you take a shower.” She threw Chorong her towel and disappeared inside her room. “Where are your clean clothes?”

 

“Oh, I think I wore my last ones yesterday.” Chorong shouted back as she entered the bathroom.

Eunji handed her a can of beer after the two of them had washed up and dressed in Eunji’s sleeping clothes, their phones placed on the table side by side. 

The TV was on, playing a movie Chorong liked.

Now that she thought about it, they mostly played the movies she wanted to watch.

 

Chorong scooted nearer Eunji and placed her head on Eunji’s shoulder, just like she did months ago.

 

“You don’t have anything to say?” Chorong tried again. When Eunji didn’t make a sound after a long while, Chorong lifted her head to properly look at Eunji and repeated, “You don’t have anything to say?”

 

“Uhh…” Eunji swallowed. “I’m… I’m really sorry.” Eunji never really said sorry before. “For ignoring you for weeks.”

 

“You don’t have to say sorry. I was at fault too.”

 

“But I think I have to this time.” Eunji’s head shyly dropped down a little. “I handled my feelings poorly.”

 

Chorong’s heart fluttered. She felt like Eunji had accidentally slipped about her feelings, but she can’t tell for sure because the girl had stayed silent for an agonizing few minutes. Impatiently, Chorong tried again. “You don’t have anything else to say?”

 

Eunji removed her gaze from the floor and met Chorong’s eyes. She stared back at Chorong silently, looking hopeful but unsure at the same time. She looked like she needed a little push, a little sign of confidence, but Chorong was done pushing her today.

 

“Then I have something to say.” Chorong leaned in, forcing Eunji to lean back for once, effectively trapping her between Chorong and the couch’s arm. Chorong smiled as she heard Eunji’s breath hitch, “Right after this.”

 

Chorong leaned in and kissed her, short and gentle, before she leaned back, looking at Eunji for any sign of rejection.

"I thought you didn't like me that way." Eunji could only say.

Chorong gently cradled her face between her hands and laughed softly in relief. She leaned back in and kissed Eunji again, pouring everything onto that much, much awaited moment.

 

As Chorong felt Eunji’s arms wrap around her, and started kissing Chorong back in response, Chorong’s phone lit up.

 

 

It was a message from Irene, finally replying to her text:

 

‘Not quite yet. :)’

 

Thank you for reading! And thank you to Rawe for letting me write a spin-off for 91 liners + 1! It was just so cute that I had to at least finish Eunrong's story with my take. Also my Chorene friendship agenda. I needed to do it jsjsksk