๐œ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ซ๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง

Chosen | Yves x Reader
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ž๐ซย ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ซ๐ญ๐ž๐ž๐ง ย 

ย 

The large double mahogany door opens with a breath of air, Yves and I taking our leave from the training room. But before we can get very far, we're stopped.

Two large men equipped in golden armour, the princess' bodyguards, had been positioned outside while we trained.ย  I recognised them, the memory of Yves collecting me from the training grounds in her lavish carriage entering my mind. I shake my head to rid myself of my thoughts as I take them in. They stood on either side of the large mahogany door, hands on the hilts of their swords at their sides. The moment Yves and I step foot outside the room they stomp their feet, shoulders straightening, stiff. The second long hesitant glance the guard closest to me shoots my way has me furrowing my eyebrows, but before I can question it, Yves voice brings me from my reverie. She glances between the two guards and narrows her eyes, displeased.

"Must you both guard me so?"

The man at my side coughs softly and nods his head, his heavy helmet shifting slightly at the motion.

"Yes, m'lady. Kings order." His voice is deep and soft spoken but there was no denying the power behind his words. Yves hums in thought and twists her body so she is facing them completely. The two guards straighten impossible further when she levels them with intense eyes.

"If that is so, then I order you to stand down and let me free. You both are aware I do not appreciate breath down my neck."

He shakes his head, firm.

"My apologies, princess, but we can not do that. It is..." I don't miss the pointed stare shot in my direction, and suddenly his prior hesitance makes sense to me. "Too dangerous."

Dangerous?ย I'll show you dangerous-

Before I can jump in and defend myself the girls soft voice beats me to it, her eyes narrowing a fraction further.

"I can assure you,ย Taehyung, there is no danger with me."

A warmth swells in my chest. I stare at her side profile as she not once looks my way, my lips parted. I didn't expect her to defend me. At least, not when just a few minutes ago she was fighting my . Yves looks between the two guards and clasps her hands behind her back, waiting for an answer, challenging. The guard, Taehyung, softens.

"The girl may not be dangerous, but danger does lie with her. It may be best to not travel alone when it isย sheย the north desires."ย 

My mouth dries. My time with the princess, Olivia and Jungeun had distracted me from what was happening around us. Queen Jennie and the north, the sphere, the overseer.. Yves seems to register as well. She sighs and nods her head, tearing her hard gaze away from Taehyung only when a new voice speaks up.

"With all due respect, your highness, but with the lord overseer in questioning we fear you have little protection. Between you and me, I believe there is foul play at work." The other guard looks between us and nods his head, and unlike Taehyung, doesn't regard me with the same hesitant eyes. He looks sincere, worried. He continues.

"My faith lies with our king, but my loyalty lies with you, your grace. We will accompany you and make sure you are safe."

His words seem to take Yves aback. She seems to contemplate their words, but as if realising she has no choice, she deflates. Nodding her head, she turns on her heel.

"So be it."

ย 

____

ย 

I didn't realise until now just how much I needed to breathe. I didn't realise how good it would feel to step away from everything that had been thrown upon me since I woke, how good it would feel to take everything in and finally have some quiet. For the first time since I got here I was able to explore.

The castle was just as grand as I thought it would be: long hallways bustling with palace-folk and servants, portraits and intrinsic swanned-patterns framing the walls. Golden chandeliers hung down from the lacunar ceilings, natural light fluttering against my skin from the windows. Each window in the castle had their own depiction of a swan across white stained glass, similar to what I would've seen in church's back home.ย  It was beautiful. All of it. The floors, walls, ceilings and windows all sculptured from the finest golds and riches.ย 

But then reality catches up to me.ย 

We turn a corner and the first thing my eyes are met with is an army of guards coming our way. The guards march in an impressive synchrony, heavy thudding of their boots creating some type of melodic tune, their swords clinking against the metal of their suits. Like Taehyung and the unknown guard, their armour was gold. Chest plates embroidered in intrinsic designs, handles of their swords glaring up at me from the light ricocheting against them. There had to be at least fifteen of them. The knights paused in an instant and slam the heel of their boots against the floor just as Taehyung and the man had only moments ago, bowing in respect to Yves.ย 

It must've been tradition, a greeting.ย 

And then they were off. I can't help but look back over my shoulder and watch them as the last knight disappeared from my view. But in my second long distraction, within moments I'm walking into Yves' back.

I stumble back slightly, instantly snapping my gaze back to look at the girl, my hand raising to rub the back of my neck. I don't miss the way her eyes follow the motion before they settle on mine, curious. Her posture is straight, her voice stiff.

"I see you take fancy in my knights."

Stammering, my mouth opened and closed several times as I dig around for the right words to say.

"Uh y-yeah, they're pretty cool."

She hums. "I think it's scary."

She turns on her heel and continues her pace. For a moment I hesitate before I follow after her, rushing to match her pace. Her long legs take large, quick strides, leaving me panting by the time I reach her side.

"Scary? I didn't take you for the type to be scared."

What sounds like a small chuckle escapes her lips as she shakes her head, her eyes meeting mine for a split second before they're back in front of her. We round another corner.

"Not once in my years in this kingdom have I seen such reaction to an outside threat. The royal guards are swarming the palace, travelling in packs. The night watch guards are not sleeping, and the council is begging for my father to make a decision.ย Everyoneย is scared, Y/N."

I swallow the lump that formed in my throat.

"I didn't realise."

I was being honest. I'd been so caught up in my own doubt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter