Mess 22

What A Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sore in my arms, my back, and my leg, basically my whole body, is real. I am lucky to not have any broken bones. It has been two days since that witch, Bae Joohyun, made me go through those physical torture and my body ache wouldn't go away because cleaning is part of my work routine and continuous labour work has done nothing to alleviate the pain in my body; furthermore, my work schedule doesn't allow me to have sufficient rest for the past two days. Thankfully, weekend has arrived, and that means time for me to ditch the outside world and sleep like a log. 

Vivi jumps onto the bed and spins around non-stop, which is a sign from him asking me to play with him. Carrying him into my arms, I rub his belly and chuckle because he is behaving so much like a baby right now. When I turn to the nightstand to grab my phone, I am surprised to see that it's already 4pm. Gosh, I really slept through the day and just then, I hear a deep growl from my stomach, probably protesting in hunger because I have skipped both breakfast and lunch. Guess my poor body is completely drained. Plus, the dark cloudy sky pouring heavily outside is the best weather to sleep in. The soft pitter patter of the rain drops on the glass windows sounds like a lullaby playing at the back, putting me to sleep. It is impossible to leave my comfy bed. 

My stomach rumbles again; that's a cue for me to get out of my bed.

 

"I almost thought you passed out and I was contemplating whether to call the ambulance," Sehun says, deadpan, as he checks the clock on the wall, "It's already so late, you might as well just sleep till tomorrow."

I snort at Sehun for attacking me with a sarcastic remark the moment I walk into the kitchen, "Well, you weren't the one being forced to pack the store room, wash all the dishes and clean the kitchen, were you?" Then I head straight to the fridge to look for something edible to curb my hunger, "Vivi, what should mama eat?" I turn to ask the docile baby in my arms, as I scan through the different compartments to see if I have any luck. Just then, a plate of omelette rice appears in my sight. I close the fridge door and jerk my head towards Sehun with my eyes widened in delight, "You kept some food for me?" 

"Hmm, I figured you would be hungry when you wake up," He shoves the plate to me, which I gladly receive with my free hand, "Also, regarding to the punishment you mentioned earlier, you are obviously not giving credits to those who lent a helping hand."

Suddenly, I recall the event from last Wednesday and a smile slowly makes its way to my face.

-----

"No one is allowed to help her," Joohyun ordered everyone in the kitchen with her commanding voice, and everyone looked confused by her instructions, "Park Areum is being punished, and since she is my trainee, I would appreciate you guys not interfere with how I train my trainees."

Somi raised her hand hesitantly, "But Chef Bae," She called, voice sounded way too soft for someone with a loud personality, "There are a lot of dishes to be washed..."

"Yeah," Another brave warrior, Taeyong, has joined Somi, "Areum can't finish all the dishes alone. Plus, she still has the kitchen to clean..."

Joohyun slams the metal table, giving everyone a jolt, "Do you wish to get fired? If you want to get fired, go ahead and join her then," She shrugged. Then, she glared at all her subordinates, "Let's see if there is any brave soul here who values friendship more than his or her job."

"Well, I guess that's me then."

Everyone turned their heads to the voice from behind. Jongin, who has already changed out of his work uniform, walked into the kitchen again as everyone made way for him to pass through. Standing more than a head taller than Joohyun, Jongin is not in any way inferior to the angry .

"But sadly, you can't fire me, Joohyun. I have a higher authority than you," Jongin looked like he was done with Joohyun's bull, his long face void of playfulness, "The rest of you," Jongin turned to the people behind him, "Could you guys please make a move first?"

After everyone left the kitchen, the fight between Joohyun and Jongin resumed.

Jongin was about to step up and help when Joohyun spread her arms widely to block him, "I said no one is allowed to help and that includes you, Jongin. You have no rights to meddle the way I train my trainee."

"Are you really helping her to learn from her mistake? Or taking advantage of her?" Jongin scoffed, an intimidating look appeared on his face, which was a super rare occurrence.

"Excuse me? What do you take me as?" Disbelief painted across Joohyun's face, as she retorted aggressively, "I am very offended by how you just smeared me!"

"Did I? Whoops then. Back off, Joohyun. No one bullies my best friend."

-----

If you think that's the end of the story, you are so wrong. While Jongin stayed to help me with the dishes, Joohyun was left with no choice. Boiling with rage, Joohyun stormed off, slamming and venting her anger on anything along her way out of the kitchen. And after a few minutes...

-----

"Wow," Baekhyun entered the kitchen, "What has gotten into Joohyun? She looks so damn pissed off when we walked past each other and she didn't even bother to greet me back!"

"Yo, Baek Hyung! Wanna help this damsel in distress with her dirty dishes?" Jongin joked as he scrubbed the plates.

"Doll, why are you doing this alone?" Baekhyun casted a worried look at me, before taking a look at the empty kitchen, "Where are the other interns?" A not-so-pleased expression formed on his face.

"Your doll got bullied by Joohyun. She restricted everyone from helping Areum, isn't she the most evil woman?" Jongin answered on my behalf.

"Joohyun?" Baekhyun was visibly shocked, because he is clueless about my beef with Bae Joohyun, "Why would Joohyun do that? This doesn't seem like her character..."

Jongin and I turned to each other because we didn't know to answer Baekhyun. The story is too long and complicated for us to explain.

"Let's not discuss about that. It's more important to finish all these damn dishes now, isn't it?" Jongin successfully changed the topic.

Baekhyun nodded as he went to grab the pink rubber gloves nearby, "Don't worry, love, I will help you with the dishes," His smile caused my heart to flutter again.

"Thank you, Baekhyun."

-----

Not the end yet! Because we had another comrade joining us.

-----

"What is going on?"

The three of us turned towards the low-pitched voice at the same time, we probably looked like a huge mess with our hair sticking out and our hands soaked in the basin of water and detergent, like we have completely adapted to our washing job.

"Sup Sehun!" Jongin greeted. Knowing that we have another helping hand, Jongin's face beamed, "Come join us! Let's give these dishes a bath!"

Sehun frowned, "Where are the interns who are supposed to be on duty as well?"

"Joohyun chased them away and forbade everyone from helping Areum, as a form of punishment. But I can't let anyone bully my bestie, can I?"

The frown on Sehun's face got deeper, "Why did Joohyun do that?"

Jongin groaned, "Ask her yourself man, I am tired of all the questioning. You wanna help us? The more the merrier," He eyed Sehun, with hope glistening in his orbs.

I blinked my eyelids continuously at Sehun, lips shaping into an awkward smile.

Sehun released a sign of exasperation, "Fine..."

-----

Sehun gave in and that's how we earned ourselves another companion on that long night. At then, I felt so blessed to have the three of them in my life because without them, I can never finish the dishes. Even Jungwoo, Somi, and Mina wouldn't stop going on and on about how lucky I was to have three hot head chefs siding me and sharing the workload with me when I told them the story the next day.

"I thought you are starving? The food is not going to eat by itself."

Sehun's deep voice snaps me back to reality and he seems to be judging me for daydreaming like an idiot in the middle of the kitchen. I smile sheepishly as I scurry to the dining room to eat my food. The dim and gloomy sky is still awash various hues of grey, as I watch the rain drops bouncing from every surface - the grass, the pool through the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter