Mess 01

What A Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's good to be home. Studying abroad and living alone in another foreign country far away from home is never easy, but I am finally back in my hometown and the air hasn't been fresher than ever.

That is what I thought, until I step into my house and find unfamiliar faces at the dining table. They all stop their chattering and turn towards me when I walk in, appalled by my haggard look. I probably look like I just got hit by a bus, with my hair tied into a mess low bun and my spectacles hanging loosely on face. Almost forgot, I am wearing a baggy sweatshirt and sweatpants, like I am all ready to go to sleep. Well, the flight from Los Angeles to Korea takes more than 10 hours and of course, I have to dress comfortably for that long-haul flight. Not like I had anyone to impress on the plane anyway. In comparison to the people at the table, I am definitely way under dressed.

"Sorry, my daughter just touched down and she wasn't expecting any guest," My mother laughs uneasily while she explains to the guests. She hurries towards me, judging me from head to toe, "Yah, are you wearing your pyjamas?" She whispers, sending me a look of disapproval.

"Mum, you didn't inform me about that you invited guests anyway. Gosh, do I not get a hug? I miss you mum!"

I hug my mum like a koala bear, not ashamed of my baby behaviour at all, eliciting laughter from my father and the other two elderlies at the table. 

"She can be a big baby at times," My mother struggles to support my weight as I continue to lean against her shamelessly. 

"Of course, I am always your baby," I make a kissy face to disturb my mother. My father walks towards me shortly and I give him a hug. Growing up as the only child, I have been really sheltered and pampered with love from my parents and I am privileged enough to not worry about anything except for my studies. It wasn't an easy decision to live miles away from home and pursue a degree overseas but it was a great chance for me to learn to be independent and my parents couldn't be more than supportive for that.

"Who are these people anyway?"

Before my parents could answer me, the doorbell rings and I am lowkey annoyed. We are expecting more guests? Seriously? I just want to crash on my bed. But when my father opens the door and a handsome man walks into my apartment before greeting the elder members present, my lethargy vanishes suddenly. I am completely taken aback and my feet seem to be stuck to the ground.

"Darling," My mother brings the guy nearer to me, "Meet Oh Sehun, your fiance."

Holy macaroni! What the is going on?

 

Oh Sehun. Of course I know him. He was on Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia list last year and he has been on various magazine covers for his remarkable culinary career at a young age. He was also titled 'the chef who is not only good at whipping up a feast but also a feast himself' and I remember clapping for the journalist who came up with that headline because I couldn't agree more. I had my own solo standing ovation for a man who doesn't even know me but is now my fiance, gosh, my head is spinning. What on earth is happening? Is this a prank? Yes, my parents must be playing a prank on me. There is no way I am engaged to a fine man like him. Getting up on my feet, I decided to confront my parents about this but the moment I open my door, I shriek at the visitor right outside my room, whose face is in proximity to mine. I stumble backwards and my land on the carpeted ground. My heart thumps when I see an arm extending towards me. I feel like a princess right then. With his help, I managed to stand up straight but my heart continues to race like a rabbit going berserk.

"You know what you remind me of right now?" 

"Huh?" Is he trying to hit on me?

"Like a dish that my apprentice made when he first joined my restaurant. Unappetising and horrifying. It was basically inedible."

It took me a while to understand what Oh Sehun has just said and I was appalled by his straightforwardness. Based on what I know about him, Oh Sehun is a perfectionist. He tolerates zero bull and he fires any incapable chefs who up at his restaurant without any mercy (that's what I heard from one of the seniors who used to work under him). Despite his harsh character, he still attracts many. Sehun is especially popular among girls, housewives, for his good looks and his terrific culinary skills. He is often the role model to many kids like me who want to pursue a cooking career and many of us dream to work with him. But now, my dream is coming true. I not only get to work with him but I am also going to sleep next to him.

"What are you daydreaming about?" 

Sehun's icy voice snaps me out of my zone immediately. Okay Park Areum, get your together and control your behaviour. You can't scare your fiance away at first meeting.

"I haven't introduced myself, my name is Park A-"

"Park Areum," Sehun interrupts, "I know."

"You know??"

He points to the medal hanging on my shelf, deadpanned, "It's clearly stated here."

I look away in embarrassment. But it didn't last long because, how can I ever take my eyes off the fine specimen prancing in my room? I don't know much about all those Korean stars and I don't fancy any group in particular, unlike my fellow peers, but if I were to pick a favourite, it would be Oh Sehun. Ever since I entered the culinary school, I have always looked up to him and I have al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter