2 - Dreams and hopes

Before We Got Famous {NamGi/SugaMon}

Namjoon arrived a bit early, no one performed yet, they just started to gather near the small podium they quickly made. He wasn’t so surprised that he saw quite a big audience, not just a bunch of people; he went to the middle part of them, not too far but not too close either as he saw some familiar faces. After he joined BigHit, he had still shown up a few times, but not as much as he used to, and he wanted to avoid being recognized.

A few minutes later the whole thing started, and Namjoon watched and listened to every performer with the same curiosity, not knowing the boy’s face or name his boss mentioned. He had to admit that there was more than one who wasn’t that bad at all, but no one seemed that good. His excitement faded more and more as none of the performers seemed the boy Bang Pd-nim talked about.

When the last person walked up to the so-called stage Namjoon was practically praying that his boss didn’t set him up. He looked at the boy head to toe; he was short and skinny, and he was really pale. Namjoon would guess his age around 15-16 years old, but he wasn’t sure. He even got a bit of applause when he stepped in front of the audience, it made Namjoon remember that it wasn’t the first time that the boy performed. He seemed nervous, it was obvious; he closed his eyes for a few seconds before the music started, and he lifted up the mic to his mouth.

Then… then the boy opened his mouth and started rapping. It only took a few seconds for Namjoon to realize that he was the one his boss had mentioned. And oh boy he was good, really, really good. His rhymes flew like birds to the rhythm of the music, Namjoon felt how his mouth fell open as he watched the latter with awe. He performed with so much passion, his whole emission changed. It looked like there were only two things in his own world: the microphone and the music.

As Namjoon listened to the lyrics, his excitement sized up, the whole performance mesmerized him. Besides the shock, there was only one more question in his mind. How the hell did that happen that this boy was here, and not signed to any company yet?

Yoongi felt more relieved, feeling that the nervousness slowly faded away as he rapped to the song he composed. Music always made him feel relaxed, calm; let it be just listening to a track or composing one, or, like at that moment, rapping his self-written lyrics. Whenever he performed, he felt like he entered a place where no one else existed, just the music, himself and his mic. As the rhymes flew out from his lips, he felt unstoppable, he almost didn’t breathe at all as he didn’t want to get interrupted by anything from the rhythm and the rhymes.

After he finished, the trans he was in disappeared, and he became the same shy, skinny boy again. He bowed, gave back the mic to the guy he got it from and left the so-called stage. He headed home, hoping that his parents didn’t wake up and checked out if he was still in his room, sleeping. He sneaked out after they went to their own bedroom, just like he always did.

He went next to the audience, not even taking a glance at them, he didn’t come here to make friends, after all. Maybe that’s why he didn’t notice that someone started following him.

Namjoon didn’t have too much time to do anything; the boy just finished his performance, and after a quick bow he left the stage, not even looking around as he started walking away from the place. He rushed out from the crowd while he mumbled his excuses and sorrys, and followed the short, skinny boy.

Thanks to his long legs Namjoon caught up soon and patted the boy’s shoulder, making him startled as he turned around.
“Sorry, I didn’t want to scare you” Namjoon said as he lifted up his arms.
“Uh, it’s okay, you just surprised me” the latter said. “Why did you follow me?” He asked with a frown.
“Well..” Namjoon started nervously. He tried to convince himself to be calm and not make things too complicated. “I’m a trainee at a company called BigHit Entertainment, and my boss heard about you. They sent me to check out your performance” the taller one explained.
 

Saying that Yoongi was shocked was an understatement.
“Why did they want to check out on me?” Yoongi asked the first question which formed in his head. Who the hell would wanted him as a trainee? And more importantly, why? He was just a young, skinny, shy teenager with no money.
“Because it’s obvious that your performance was the best out here” Namjoon replied with a smile, but after a second his eyebrows furrowed. “I have one question though. Did you wrote your own lyrics? I’ve never heard of it before” he got excited, Yoongi noticed it.
“Uh, yes, along with the music itself” the paler answered, hating the fact that his cheeks started burning.
“Would you like to come to BigHit and become a trainee? They’re planning to debut a hip hop group, and it would be great if you’d join” Namjoon asked with enthusiasm.
“Wha-what?” Yoongi asked back with wide opened eyes. He just couldn’t believe what he’d heard.
“You’re a really good rapper, and hearing your lyrics and music, it seems like you’re a good at writing lyrics and composing songs as well. Speaking in the name of our company, I’d like you to join us” Namjoon summarized with another smile, internally hoping that the boy will accept the offer.

Yoongi was shocked, he would have never imagined in his wildest dreams that this could happen to him. He didn’t really have any kind of goal when he first started going to these events, and later his only dream was to become a composer, a songwriter, a producer. But to become a trainee at a company he never heard of? He knew there were some agencies where they let the trainees to write their own lyrics and make their own songs, so, maybe he should give it a try… right?
“I don’t know…” he started, and his parents snapped into his mind. “I should speak with my parents about it first” he lowered his head as he finished his sentence, knowing that his mother and especially his father wouldn’t be happy to hear any of this.

But he still wanted to give it a try.

“Alright, but please, give us an answer until the weekend, okay?” Namjoon said as he reached out his hand towards the other, holding a small card between his fingers. When the young, pale boy took the card and looked up at him, he couldn’t suppress his smile. “I’d be glad if you’d join us” he said.
“Thank you for the opportunity. I’ll definitely speak with my parents” the shorter boy bowed and with a small wave of his hand he left Namjoon.

Namjoon watched him go for a short while before he turned to the other way, taking his steps towards the dormitory he lived in. He had high hopes, the boy was incredibly good, his flows and his style was mesmerizing. Namjoon couldn’t stop smiling, and he was grateful for his boss that he chose him to come and see this young, talented boy.
It took him a few minutes until his smile faded, and his brows furrowed. he let out an annoyed groan, slapping his palm on his forehead.
“Kim Namjoon, you’re such a !” he growled. “You didn’t introduce yourself, and you don’t know his name either!”

Well, with all honesty, he shouldn’t be so surprised.

 

While Yoongi was walking home, he checked out the business card he got from the boy; it didn't look fake. Reading the words 'BigHit Entertainment', he started wondering if he'd ever heard of this agency, finding out that no, he didn't. He assumed it was a smaller one, there were many companies which had no recognition, only one or two groups under their name. But to be honest, he shouldn't complain at all, it was the first time that any kind of agency wanted him as a trainee.
Well, only a few people wanted anything from him in the first place: his songs and lyrics he tried to sell on the streets. And even if someone found him, they didn't always pay. It had happened more than once that he had to decide between eating an instant noodle or take the bus home.

He usually ended up sitting on the bus with an empty, growling stomach.

It seemed so unreal to Yoongi, that a real company wanted him. He preferred being a songwriter, not a trainee, but before he let himself to start hoping, he knew he had to tell about this to his parents. As he started wondering about how he should tell to his mother and father the news, he realized he didn't even know the boy's name who gave him the card. And he didn't introduce himself either.

Yoongi tried his best to be as silent as he was capable of when he arrived home, knowing that his parents were sleeping. Thankfully he could sneak into his room without any problem, he closed the door and a few moments later he was already in his pajamas, covering himself with his blanket.

He started wondering about how he ended up here. How he started loving music so much like how he loved it now.
There was a pianino in the hallway next door to their flat, the younger himself fell in love with it at first sight. His mother taught him how to play on it, but after a while Yoongi was alone, sitting at the instrument, playing the new sheet music he'd found on the internet. His parents had thought that he wouldn't make a real career if he'd choose this path, saying he wouldn't make profit from it. But Yoongi didn't care about it, he wanted to do what he loved doing, not caring about how much money he'd get from it.

He had fought with his parents because of this, especially with his father; they wanted him to focus more on his studies. These arguments with his dad sometimes went too far, they only stopped when his mother begged them to. After these fights, Yoongi didn't even dare to go near to the pianino, feeling like it was the cause all of the hardships. But deep inside, he knew the real problem was his stubbornness, not the instrument.

As these thought whirled in his mind, he slowly lulled to sleep, hoping for a better tomorrow and that his parents would at least try to hear him out.