1 - The beginning

Before We Got Famous {NamGi/SugaMon}

“We are bullet bullet bulletproof
Against the disapproving gazes, we made it
All the bad memories, the many difficulties
We boldly blocked them all out, bulletproof”
(We are Bulletproof: the Eternal)

 

Kim Namjoon always thought about himself as a good kid, a decent student. He aced in his class, one of the best students in his school. His parents were proud of him, always saying to their friends that their son was such a good kid. That with his diligence he would end up at one of the SKY universities, and after his graduation he would work at a company which would pay well.

And Namjoon tried his best to make up for those compliments, always studying as much as he could after school, barely going out with his friends. He didn’t want to disappoint his parents, and he had heard how they gossip about their friends’ kids who weren’t studying, going out instead. He would never want to see that look in their eyes when they look at him.
But, to be truly honest, Namjoon didn’t always just study when he was in his room behind the closed door. He was a really smart kid, he quickly understood even the more complex curriculum, so he would have enough free time to spend it with his friends. So why did he stay in his room?
It was something he didn’t dare to confess to his parents.

He wrote lyrics.

It started with listening to hip-hop music, not just in his native language, but also from American artists. And thanks to his English skills - he learnt the language while he had been watching Friends; first with subtitles, and later he’d noticed he didn’t need them anymore to understand the language - he understood what they were rapping about. He got inspired by them, and the next thing he knew he started thinking about rhymes and jotting down his ideas to the first paper surface that got into his hands. Sometimes he was too distracted at writing them down during the classes, and he only snapped out from his trance-like state when the teacher particularly called his name to answer the question. He quickly collected himself and answered perfectly every time. He wasn’t a stupid kid, he just… he could get distracted by his passion easily; his only luck was that it didn’t have an effect on his grades.

About a month later he found his new “hobby”, one of his friends from class quickly grabbed away his booklet from his hands and started reading the written lines. When he asked Namjoon about what it was, the boy explained it to him with burning cheeks. But thankfully his classmate didn’t laugh at him, in fact, he was impressed, curious. Soon Namjoon told it to his other friends as well, earning compliments from them too.
On the rare occasions where they spent their time together, his friends always asked him if he had written any new lyrics or finished one he started earlier. Sometimes they bickered with him, saying he spent more time writing lyrics than being with his friends, but they never truly meant it. Namjoon got their support, their encouraging words always helped him, making him smile and be grateful for them.

They even convinced him to show up at Jungle Radio, and although he rejected the idea at first, they persuaded him to do it.
So he did.
Saying he was surprised that he became a regular visitor with an actual audience was an understatement. Months passed by, becoming years, and he became well-known in the underground rapper’s community.
During these times, he had more than one chance to collaborate with other underground artists like Changmo - also known as LUPE -, Supreme Boi, Kyum and Marvel J, just to mention a few.

In 2009, he auditioned to join the Big Deal Squad. Although he passed the preliminary round, he didn’t win a spot - he forgot most of his lyrics when he went to perform on stage. He was really upset about it, but to his surprise another performer - known as Sleepy - asked for his contact info.

Namjoon could hardly process the failure. After the audition, he performed less often, focusing on his studies instead. His dream to become a true performer started to fade in front of his eyes, he almost gave up. His friends saw his struggles, but they didn’t push it and he was more than grateful for it.

Almost a whole year passed when out of nowhere, Namjoon got a call from the guy who asked his contact after the audition. He suggested that if he still wanted to be a rapper, a performer, then he should meet with a man named Bang Si Hyuk. He had a company named Big Hit Entertainment, and he was interested in Namjoon.
Seeing no reason to say no, Namjoon said yes, and after their meeting, he became the first male trainee at Big Hit Entertainment. His parents weren’t happy about it, but as his grades were still good, they couldn’t complain too much.

Being a trainee was hard, but Namjoon could manage it. He was still living at home, he went to school and then went to the company, only arriving home late. The company didn’t know exactly what kind of group they would like to debut, their only goal was that they wanted it to be connected to hip hop.

A few months later Namjoon had to move into an apartment where he would live with the other trainees. It was hard to live far from his family, but Namjoon always told himself that if he wanted to reach his dream he had to go on. He didn’t want to give up. No matter how sad he became whenever his fellow trainees gave up after a while, he still stayed, hoping that one day he would debut.

But now, as he was sitting in the office with his boss and the only trainee except him at the table, he wasn’t so sure if he could debut at all.
Band Si Hyuk adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose, looking at the two young boy in front of him with a serious expression.
Namjoon knew that look too well, it always appeared on his face when he wanted to say something they wouldn’t want to hear.
“Guys, as you can see, only the two of you left from the trainees, which means…” he hesitated a bit and took a deep breath before he continued. “Which means that your debut date will be postponed.”
“Again” Supreme Boi said with an annoyed tone. Namjoon turned his head over to him, biting his lip nervously.
“Look, I can’t do much about it. We’re gonna schedule auditions, and hopefully the new trainees will be more determined” their boss said.
“I’m sorry, Bang Pd-nim, but I quit. I’m too tired of this, I don’t think I can do this anymore” Supreme Boi said, Namjoon’s heart clenched when he heard those words. He put his hand on his friend’s arm, making the latter look at him.
“Please, don’t give up, hyung” Namjoon pleaded quietly. He only got a sad smile, and it was enough for him to know that his friend wouldn’t change his mind.
“Can you at least think about staying as a songwriter or as a producer?” Bang Si Hyuk asked him.
“Alright, Sir, I’ll think about it, but I can’t promise anything just yet” the boy said and stood up, leaving Namjoon and their boss at the table after he bid his goodbyes.

Namjoon was really sad, he understood his friend’s choice, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t miss him. It wasn’t the first time their debut date was postponed, that’s why they were the only ones who left as trainees.

And now Namjoon was alone. Again. But he just couldn’t give up, he couldn’t bear the look in his parents’ faces, he didn’t want to hear their words ‘I told you so’ when he would go home.
With a deep sigh, he looked at his boss’ face while he pulled out the chair as he wanted to stand up and leave the office. He didn’t know what he should say, so his only option was to say goodbye and go home.
“Can I have a word for you before you leave?”
“Of course, Sir” Namjoon replied and stayed in his seat.
“Can you go to this place, please? There’s someone you should see. It’s not the first time he performed, and I heard he tried to sell his self produced and written songs on the streets” the elder informed him.
“I’m sorry for asking this, Sir, but why should I go?” Namjoon knew the place where the unknown boy would perform, it was a regular place to these kinds of events. But they usually sent someone else from the company, not other trainees.
“You’ll know it when you’ll see and hear him yourself” Band Pd-nim said with a mischievious smile on his face.
“Alright, Sir” Namjoon said as he stood up, sliding the paper with the address into his pocket. He bowed and bid his goodbye before he left the office. He was really curious about this boy, it was the first time his boss asked him to go. Besides the auditions, sometimes the workers of the company went to these underground rapping events, hoping they would find young teenagers who were interested in becoming a trainee.

He could only hope that this boy would be good. Well, he knew his boss was already interested in him, but Namjoon still had some doubt, he couldn’t help it. First of all, Bang Pd-nim didn’t tell him his name or how he looked. How the hell should he know who was the one the elder mentioned? A part of him was nervous, fearing that he wouldn’t recognize the boy, but the other part of him felt honored that his boss trusted in him. 

He checked out the time on his cell phone as he stepped out from the building; it was already late afternoon, they talked with Bang Pd-nim after they finished their daily schedules. He decided to go to the address right away, it wasn’t so far from the company, and the weather was good enough for a walk. A bit chilling, but thankfully he had a hoodie under his coat, so he should be fine. Also, as he got closer and closer to the address, the more exciting he started to become, feeling like he was wearing a secondary coat, keeping him more warm.
Something deep inside him made him feel like after this night, his life would change entirely. 

But would it change in a good, or a bad way?