Phone numbers

My Boyfriend is Actually a Woman!? (But I had a hunch from the start so meh.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today is yet another great morning. Sun is shining, birds chirping, a couple of people having their early morning jogs, some early bird office workers having their deserved coffee while walking on the sidewalks, dogs having their daily walking exercise. 

It is indeed a great day for most people, but it does not seem to apply to one person, who looked like she just woke up on the wrong side of the bed; that specific woman is now in her little kitchenette cursing at her uncooperative coffee maker. It's been 30 minutes since she started to stand in front of her counter while ruffling her hair in frustration. She does not know where her bad mood stems from. Maybe she had a bad dinner? Or maybe yesterday was just a bad day in general? Either way she looks frustrated and tired. The bags under her eyes gave off the impression she probably did not get any sleep since god knows when, so what might have happened? Is it really the dinner? Is it work?

 

To know what or why the reason is, she tries to look back to at least a few hours. To be exact let’s go back at 8 pm last night. Right 8 pm. The said woman earlier has been busy with her papers for the next magazine they are about to publish; papers to sign, things to edit all the stressful stuff and it has been bafflling her for quite sometimes now— but that isn't what frustrates her the most. It was not work. She could handle that perfectly fine. If you want to be precise, it was someone. Yes, someone that goes by the name Lee Jaeyeon.

 

A week prior to this hectic night, Hyewon— in all actuality tipped her best friend; Eunbi, about the date she had. Moments after that she was then looking straight at her phone screen with an unfamiliar number written in mechanical text.

 

And now a week has passed and her work started to pile up for the new magazine yet here she is still not getting any ounce of courage to even send a message to her previous lovely date— Jaeyeon. Well she did actually try to send a couple of messages; probably written and deleted a thousand "Hi"s before her ego as this 'old school hard-to-get woman' suddenly kicks in, and now she can't help but to stare at her phone while she dizzies herself with all the paper works, as if for some miracle, Jaeyeon would text her first. 

 

Going back to the early morning; in present time. Hyewon drags herself out of her unit after almost smashing her coffee maker against her marble countertop. Since she has been frustrated since last night; all she wanted for the morning is a nice cup of hot and freshly brewed coffee; but it seemed like fate is laughing at her today— but hey, at least, as she takes another sip from the cup of coffee in her hand, the good luck fairy did pity her and she still got her well-deserved coffee, albeit it took her more than 30 mins. than usual.

 

After continuously sighing her way towards the elevator, her day continued to progress with more bad luck. If she would be given a chance to choose between this day and to the time, she had that weird otaku guy as a date; she with no ounce of doubt would pick that otaku date— After all that date didn't even lasted an hour, but this day, she shakes her head as she bends down. This day is probably the worst, waking up on the wrong side of the bed, to almost not having her deserved morning coffee and now this, all her papers— scattered on the floor because someone accidentally bumped into her. What’s worse is that the person did not even stay to help much less apologize, before leaving the elevator.

 

Hyewon sighs for the nth time that day as she stares at the sight of all her papers spread out like some kids on a playground had suddenly came and played with it.

 

"Such a bad day." She mumbles to herself as she picks up another piece of paper.

 

 


+

 

 

"Good morning, boss!"

 

A small woman approaches Hyewon as soon as she enters the company. The woman looks so jolly and bouncy, in complete contrast to what Hyewon is now.

 

Hyewon looks so gloomy and stressed out which made the small woman frown.

 

"Hey boss? What's with the mood? Did you wake up in the wrong side of the bed again?"

 

Hyewon only nods as she slumps herself on her office chair, eyes on the paper the small figure is holding.

 

"Nako? What's that?"

 

The stressed-out Chief Editor asks; pointing a finger towards the file Nako was holding. The small woman only grins, which made Hyewon a bit scared. Work has been continuously piling up and another one will be disastrous for her and her team.

 

Nako senses her boss’s worries through her expressive eyes and the woman only gave out a soft giggle. And only handed Hyewon the file and bid her goodbyes after, without so much as another word.

 

The woman with a bad morning didn't know what to do with the file— after all Nako did leave it without saying anything; so for probably the countless time Hyewon sighed, she slowly opened the file thinking the worst, and much to her horror it was; and it’s what she had feared— additional work and to top it all, it wasn’t just any work— it was field work. Gosh, the world hates me huh.

Her company wanted her to have a fact check about the current magazine they are working on. It did say that she can send someone from her team but Hyewon being the nicest boss ever; releases a breath and called her assistant editor— Kim Minju. Soon after the said person came in with all smiles. Hyewon gave her a greeting and gestured her to sit down. The latter did as she was told or rather as she was gestured. 

 

"So, boss? Need anything?"

 

Minju asks curiously which Hyewon nods upon. She then gave Minju the files she was stressing over last night. The latter looked at it confused. She then eyes her boss and gave her a questioning look.

 

"These are the files you took home last time. So, what about it?"

 

Hyewon smiles and clasps her hands together.

 

"I have to go to Jeju island— 2 days from now. Field work, or rather fact checking to be exact. So, I want you to be in-charge for the time being. It won't take long so don't worry. I will not burden you that much."

 

Hyewon's voice was very calm that Minju shook her head immediately giving her boss a wide smile. She then started to look at the papers Hyewon gave her. She found a note on each page. As expected, her boss is as meticulous as ever. After reading a few more pages Minju closes the file and stood up— she gave Hyewon a respectful bow and another blinding smile.

 

"No worries boss! I'll make sure everything will be A okay when you get back!"

 

After the statement Minju bid her goodbye and skipped towards the door; but before she gets another step out of her boss' office she turns back and gave another bow then exited the room.

 

Hyewon only gave a small smile, then gave her attention back to her new work. She opened her laptop and immediately sent an email to the place she needs to do fact checking. After that she took the opportunity to book a flight and a hotel she would stay at— while doing so, she thought that maybe today isn't as bad as she thought it would actually be. It wasn’t exactly the worst, but the day hasn’t ended yet so Hyewon was hopeful.

 

 

+

 

 

"Chae, when will this shoot end?"

 

A certain Japanese woman whispered as Chaeyeon was having a break from taking photos. They have been shooting for half a day already, but their client still isn't satisfied and asks if they could shoot a couple more.

 

Chaeyeon also has no idea how long their shoot would last. She sighed and shrugs at the question. Sakura could only shake her head as she eyes the wall clock near the exit.

 

After a couple more hours their client finally stops, saying she thinks the photos are enough. Chaeyeon and the Japanese unconsciously released a breath of relief; but their client saw it and gave them a questioning look. Both suddenly gulp and thought of some lame excuse but luckily one of the models called on to him.

 

"Thank God, that model called him!"

 

Chaeyeon muses low while she leaned a bit closer to the Japanese. After that, the photographer started to look back on the images. She zoomed in unto one of the pictures— the model smiling genuinely, his high nose bridge, defined jaw, red lips reminded her of someone. A person whom she dated a week ago.

 

After reminiscing the date; a soft and warm smile crept up her lips which earned her a tease from a certain Japanese girl, saying she's crushing on the model.

 

"So! Is our great Lee Chaeyeon not straight anymore!"

 

The Japanese teased while Chaeyeon shook her head. It has been a known fact that she's straight as hell. But she has never tried dating anyone. After all she's married to her work.

 

"I don't swing that way, Sakura. I just remembered something funny."

 

Chaeyeon defended herself as she immediately turned off her camera. She then carefully walks towards her case and places her precious baby— A.K.A the camera, down. But before that she carefully removed the lenses and arranged them neatly in a separate foamed case. After a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter