First Meeting

My Boyfriend is Actually a Woman!? (But I had a hunch from the start so meh.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"For today's weather forecast. There is an 80% chance of rain in the afternoon, so we advise that you always carry your umbrellas when you go out for today."

The news anchor says as the weather is broadcasted throughout the whole city. It's been a fair weather for the past couple of days and now a broadcast of rain suddenly makes a specific person happy. She had always liked the rainy seasons. The droplets of rain hitting the roofs are music to her ears. She feels at ease during such weather that she actually skips from the kitchenette of her small apartment and sits happily in front of her little study table. 

All is well as she's eating her favorite pancake, with the aroma of her freshly brewed cup of coffee circulating around the apartment as well as the rich sound of the freshly toasted loaf as she breaks them down into little pieces. Yes, it was indeed a perfect morning. Until someone barges into her home with a wide grin on her face.

"Kang Hyewon! Chief Editor of Wiz publication! I, Kwon Eunbi the finance adviser for Enozi Corp. Has found the right guy for you!"

With the look of things, Hyewon's perfect breakfast is now ruined by her one and only bestfriend who has been playing cupid for her since forever.

It's not a new information that the 23-year old woman whom, has a stable job and is living the happy life she always wanted; be single and ready to mingle. Even so, her best friend has always set her up to countless (always failed) blind dates. And Eunbi's reason was— she doesn't want Hyewon to grow old without someone to care and love her other than her game consoles and laptop. 

Hyewon would be lying if she says her friend is not cute for deliberately begging her to date someone, but she'll also be lying if she said she isn't annoyed. Much to her peaceful and happy days. Eunbi would usually just yank her whenever the older has a chance to. The last time Eunbi dragged her to a date with a very shady person, and she prayed to the Gods that, the person would at least be a nice human being, but lo and behold, as usual just like the many before this, another failed one— with her almost being a hostage! 

Her almost ending up in trouble because of Eunbi's ‘blind dating’ schemes has been quite a normal routine of their friendship.

"Unnie? Aren't you tired? It's not like I’m desperate to find a lover or anything. I do appreciate the thought but, come on. Maybe I’m not cut to have a partner. I think, my fate is to have 12 wonderful dogs living with me until I die alone."

Hyewon dramatically muses as her eyes sparkles in joy, as if she was narrating the perfect life; but much to her wishful thinking. Eunbi is not having it. She glared at the younger and slowly drag her to the nearest bathroom. 

"12nn is the reservation. It's either you go in there and clean yourself or I will force you inside the tub and probably put you in your most hated frilly dress that I bought from Japan."

Hyewon suddenly recalls the time Eunbi forced her to wear the lacy frilly dress and it was horrible! The moment her date saw her wearing it, it was as if on cue, the anime weeb inside him started gushing out. Hyewon could have sworn to all deities how disgusted she was towards that weird date of hers. She loves anime, Yes. But never in her wildest dreams does she wanted to date a weird otaku who has kinks for lolis and frilly dresses.

Just thinking about that past encounter send shivers down her spine. She gulps at the threat and just like a puppy, she obediently followed Eunbi's simple instruction to take a bath and put herself in her nicest clothes.

"I'll drop you off at 8D café. That cafe we usually go to. Your date will be there. He said he'll probably be early than the said time because his shift will end early."

Hyewon thought of something when Eunbi said that her blind date's shift ends early. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the person she would be meeting is probably working the night shifts and has probably not gone to sleep. Suddenly she became flustered and gave Eunbi a very shocked expression.

"Unnie! I can't believe you force him to date me so early! He's probably tired!"

Eunbi only grins, and shrugs Hyewon's complain as she continues to drive towards an intersection. 

The streetlight hits red as both women waits for it to turn green, Hyewon who was busy staring outside the window, suddenly remembered something.

It was her unfinished work that she left last night. Although, she still has time to finish it later in the evening, she's scared that she'll be too lazy to sit on her mini office once she gets home. She continues to think while unconsciously biting off her fingernails. Eunbi caught a glimpse of it in the corner of her eye, and gave Hyewon a motherly smile.

A smile that looks like she's ready to give her daughter away for marriage.

"Don't be too nervous Hye. I’m sure this one is not like those weirdos."

Hyewon shakes her head. Eunbi always gives her that reassuring line, as if it would help her any better. Either way she looks at Eunbi again and just sighed.

"That's not it unnie. I forgot to finish my work last night. Now I’m scared that once I get home, I'll be too lazy to do it. You know I hate cramming."

Eunbi gave out soft giggles which made Hyewon frown. 

The single and ready to mingle girl could swear that there is nothing funny about her statement. She felt a little offended and was about to scold her bestfriend but Eunbi cuts in before she can even speak.

"Don't worry. I already sent Wonyoung an email to finish your remaining papers."

Hyewon, then thought again— Wonyoung; right! Jang Wonyoung. The new intern at her office and unfortunately, Eunbi's niece. The girl indeed is a hard-working lass and Hyewon would be lying if she dismissed the fact that Wonyoung is a smart child.
Hyewon knows well that, Wonyoung can easily finish those papers— yet, she still feels a bit sorry for the girl. Needing to work her paper when it was Wonyoung's one and only day-off. She thought that maybe she could just treat the girl to a meal sometimes. And with that Eunbi started driving again.  

A few minutes later. They arrived at 8D cafe, and Hyewon— as usual; is starting to shake like a mad man. Her nervousness is starting to show, that the moment Eunbi stopped her car, she was so ready to jump off and run away for good. But, Eunbi, already used to her best friend’s antics, knew what was going on in Hyewon's simple mind as she kept the doors locked and grins widely at Hyewon.

"Goodluck! And hope my hunch is right this time, also. Don't try to escape. I have your PS4 captive as of the moment."

As yet another threat escapes the older's mouth making Hyewon glare at her. 

Hyewon had always had one motto in life. Take everything away, but never my PS console. Yes, call her childish or what, but that PS is what kept her going. So, Eunbi being her best friend know all her weaknesses. 

"Okay, now be a good girl and enter that café. Your date is waiting."

With that, Hyewon exits the older's car with heavy steps. She really doesn't want to be dragged out of her house on her day-off, but here she is walking towards another unknown human that her bestfriend picked for her. As she walks closer towards the entrance of the establishment, the voice in her head whispers that she should have taken the job offer in Busan— doing so, she can escape her bestfriend's annoying cupid . But hey, she still picked her place in Seoul, after all she hates being all alone, and Eunbi has always been her support. And she would never admit it out loud, but she’ll miss that annoying unnie too much.

She opens the café door and searches for a seat for two with only one person sitting. Now that she thinks about it, Eunbi never did give her any defining descriptions of how her date will look. How is she going to look for him?

She scans the whole place until her eyes lands on an old man sitting alone with a newspaper and cup of freshly brewed coffee. She shakes her head, that is definitely not him, unless Eunbi…no wait her best friend could totally do that. Before she becomes like a creep, she stops staring at the old man and looks around the place again, but no matter how much she looks she fails to see any other two-seater with a single person seated.

Suddenly, she felt a shiver down her spine as she realizes that this might not be a good idea at all, and she should have actually grabbed that Busan offer some months ago. 

"Why does Eunbi always pair me with these weird men!"

Hyewon hissed low, not wanting anyone to hear her. She slowly approached the old man. As the distance grew short, her urge to run away grew. Never once she thought of dating an old man— well, maybe she did during those high school days while she would joke around. But now that she's in the situation, she just wants to run and be single forever. With heavy footsteps, Hyewon slowly approaches the man with graying hair, and before she knew it she was around a meter away.

As she got nearer, the young woman contemplated to even go further, and people are starting to look at her direction. It was embarrassing enough to be standing their alone, like a deer caught in headlights. Yet she thought it would be more embarrassing to suddenly approach an old man in this state. 

Don't get her wrong though. She isn't against , and she does find older men attractive but in her case. This is just not it. She would gladly date a man in their 30 or 40s but looking at the man holding the newspaper. Oh boy, he's probably around his 70's; a man old enough to be her dad. 

"Once this is over. I’m cutting my ties with Eunbi"

Hyewon mumbles as she takes another hopeless step, but before she can get anymore closer to the clueless man, a flash of long grey hair passes her vision as a woman much like the old man’s counterpart approaches the seat, and the man earlier whom she thought was her date greets the said woman with a warm and loving smile. If there is a mirror in front of her— she would self for smiling too obviously at the two.

After realizing she almost got the wrong person. A soft giggle escapes her lips as relief surrounds her body. She watches cheerfully, as the old couple stands up and makes their way out the cafe while holding onto one another.

She then latches herself at the table where the couple left and again cracked a soft laugh.

"Well, that was funny. But seeing those two makes me want to retrace my life choices now."

She shook her head while still giving out a laugh. As she made herself comfortable, she took this chance to order a latte and a grilled cheese sandwich; after all, Eunbi dragged her out of her unit even before she can fill her stomach with anything aside from one sip of her favorite Arabic black brew. After her food and beverage arrives, a deep yet slightly feminine voice hits her ears; taking her attention, making her whip her head towards the unfamiliar voice.

Hyewon was sure that the man in front of her looks so feminine, but she shrugs the thought and continued drinking her coffee, not really minding the latter.

"I’m sorry to disturb your sweet coffee time miss, but may I ask if you are miss Kang Hyewon?"

The stranger asks, and Hyewon could see hope in the young good-looking lass' eyes. She then started to think again and then it dawns on her. She was here for a date and not a coffee by herself. After realizing that the person in front of her is probably her date she stood up flustered and shy. She fiddles a bit until she decided to stretch out her hand and give the latter the most awkward smile ever.

"I’m sorry. I forgot I was here for a date. Y-yes. I’m Hyewon nice to meet you."

Hyewon saw a silent "Oh" escaped the nameless

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter