Subsitute

One Four Three
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rolling her eyes away from her phone screen, Ji Hyo puffed her cheeks in annoyance. Pressing her ear on her phone, she put her patience to the test as she awaited the ringing of the dial tone to come to a stop. The day couldn’t be better. However, an incoming text message from her boyfriend, Kim Jong Kook, was all it takes to ruin her anticipation.

Usually, she wouldn’t be that impatient to almost hang up the call. But not when he ruined her enthusiasm that day. Just as she was about to give up waiting and hang up the call, the masculine honey-coated voice which she would usually anticipate for, answered the call, “Hello?”

Exasperating, she yelled at the top of her lungs, “Do you meant it when you text me, informing me that you are unable to make it for tonight’s dinner!?”

“Love, I’m sorry. I know it’s a last-minute notice, but I really couldn’t make it for tonight’s dinner.”

“How could you? It’s our anniversary today! And for once, I finally remember our anniversary day and now you are behaving like it doesn’t concern you?”

“Love, I know what today means to us. But it can’t be helped due to some unforeseen circumstances…”

“Out of all days, why must you be unavailable today? And why would you give me a notice at the very last minute!”

“I’m sorry but I will explain tonight when I’m done with my schedule. I need to go already.”

“What about our dinner? I have already placed a reservation at the restaurant you recommended, under my name! What would they think of me the next time they see me?”

“Love, what about this? I believe Kwang Soo is free today, how about you get him to go with you as my subsitute today? Since we've never been to the restaurant before, I promise that I will go with you again this weekend if this place is nice or try another one together!”

“Gosh, why do I even waste my time and effort to dress up and get ready!”

“Since you are done preparing, just go as it is. I hope that you enjoy yourselves! One-Four-Three!”

“One-Four-Three,” Ji Hyo responded restlessly only to be greeted by the already hung-up phone.

“Why do I even love you so much?”

Muttering under her warm breath, Ji Hyo found warm fluids trickling out of her hazel orbs. Looking in the mirror, Ji Hyo saw a stunning lady donned in her strapless and backless midnight-blue dress, with a matching necklace. Her beauty amplified by the effects of make-up: eyes were surrounded by azure eye shadow and an eyeliner helped to emphasise the shape of her eyes; her lips were coated with a hint of pink cloud. The only flaw before her was her tear-stained eyes.

Knowing that she shouldn’t be crying when she’s wearing her contacts, she took off her contact lenses. Realising how red her eyes were, she leaned her head on her arms in front of the dresser.

Ring... Ring... Ring...

The ringing of her phone snapped Ji Hyo back to reality. Scanning on her phone screen, she saw Kwang Soo’s name reflected on her phone screen. Composing herself, she sniffled her tears and cleared .

“Hello?” Ji Hyo attempted to mask her hoarse voice as she greeted Kwang Soo, who is on the line cheerfully.

“Hey, Noona-ah!” The warmth from Kwang Soo enthusiasm, somehow, radiated to Ji Hyo.

“I’m sorry to hear that Jong Kook hyung is unavailable to join you for your anniversary dinner tonight. But would you be okay if I am the one who spend this evening with you today?”

Upon hearing the mention of her boyfriend’s name, Ji Hyo stiffened. However, the sincerity that radiated from her dongsaeng’s mellow voice made her hesitant on rejecting him. Pondering Kwang Soo’s offer, she decided that a decisive question would be able to aid her to make a choice.

“Is Sun Bin okay with this arrangement?”

Surprised by Ji Hyo’s considerateness of his relationship with his girlfriend, Kwang Soo found himself widening his eyes in surprise. However, he understood where Ji Hyo’s concerns were coming from.

“Yes, I have explained the situation to her that I am Jong Kook hyung’s subsitute for today and she understands.”

“Since she’s okay with it, alright! Let’s enjoy our time together!”

“Sure, I will pick you up from your house in thirty minutes.”

“Kwang Soo-ah, you don’t have to. I can meet you there instead. Besides, I am not your girlfriend. You don’t have to waste your petrol and time on me.”

“But noona, it’s a special occasion today! So, for today, just for you, I will have to sacrifice my handsome self to spend some time being your one-day subsitute boyfriend.”

“Okay, okay. I will wait for you at my apartment then.” Ji Hyo complied in defeat as she sniffled her laughter at the over narcissistic persona that Kwang Soo was portraying.

“Sure, see you in a while.” With that, the phone call with Kwang Soo ended.

Putting her phone down, Ji Hyo fixed her eyes on her phone screen. Her shoulders slumped down as she remembered the harsh reality. It has been a while since her boyfriend’s last call. He did not even bother to drop her any texts to further explain what he had earlier meant as ‘unforeseen circumstances’. She couldn’t help but sulk, knowing that he must be really busy to not even send her a short text.

She stared at herself. Dabbing her tears away with a tissue, she decided to push her melancholy thoughts aside. Her gloomy face should be wiped off, and she tried to fake her smile till she was able to smile genuinely. When she found her cheerful smile, she touched up on her tear-stained make-up.

Her thoughts wandered over to how Jong Kook convinced Kwang Soo to be her ‘one-day subs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter