the compass's magnet

The Compass's Magnet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kookie, I’ll see you later okay?” Ji Hyo placed her right palm on the right cheek of the forty-five-year-old, who behaved like four or five-year-old, just to cajole him.

Pouting, Kim Jong Kook began sulking again. His ears perked when PD Chul Min told them that the seating arrangement in the two cars was free seating. Together with the two guests for that day and the eight Running Man members into two groups of five. Being given a chance, he wanted to be seated with Ji Hyo in the same car, especially they couldn’t group onscreen.

All of the Running Man members and production crew have known that Jong Kook and Ji Hyo have been dating for quite a while already. They respected the couple’s choice on not declaring their relationship to the public until they have decided to settle down, which in this meant to get married. To not expose the couple, the members decided to minimise their teasing on the couple to not expose the couple. Also, the couple endeavoured to not be in the same team, despite wanting to desperately. But whenever they were in the same team, it was hard for them to suppress their expressive love of each other for each other when the camera’s rolling, to not have the scenes cut off. They had come with an agreement with the production crew that the couple interactions should stay as concealed as possible before they declared that they would be tying the knot, which may risk their career.

The scene that prevailed in front of Ji Hyo has always looked so amusing, it took her at least half a year to get used to this very scene, which she found was quite baffling initially. Initially, she couldn’t understand how such a man with toned features on his body could have such a mellifluous vocal range.

A very muscular Jong Kook whined, like a little child, with his soothing voice, “No, I don’t want!”

In his total dismay, his hopes were tarnished in mere seconds. Jae Suk suggested to the Running Man members that Ji Hyo, together with Kwang Soo and himself, to be seated in the same car as the guests to make the guests comfortable. He didn’t understand how it was necessary when he wanted Ji Hyo to be with him, for only himself.

“Hey Kookie, be good okay?” Ji Hyo whispered, calling the nickname that she had given him whenever he’s behaving like a child and leaned forward to give him a peck on his left cheek.

“They could have asked So Min to go over there, she’s an actress anyway,” Jong Kook murmured.

“Love, look! I’m the one who is releasing a movie at the same time as them. Shouldn’t I be more friendly towards them and explained for my ‘Bad Ji Hyo’ actions that I have done earlier? I don’t want them to have the wrong idea of me,” Ji Hyo said.

"Then, why did you do so?" Jong Kook whined.

"It's just my reflexes to react that way, love," Ji Hyo tried to explain.

“Fine, fine,” Jong Kook resigned sulkily.

 

 

Together with Bae Jong Ok and Shin Hye Sun, that day's guests, the Running Man members stood before the row of ten black and white cars Standing before the row ten cars orderly parked in the basketball court. They were there to kickstart their first mission after doing the opening of that's day filming of the introduction of the guests.

Their first mission, an individual mission, enabled them to obtain their mission depositary money by entering someone else's car to steal items. Given ten minutes, the members could decide if they want to either steal something from inside the car or not. The catch was that if the minority belongs to those who steal, they would be rewarded with 5,000 Won per item. The rules encouraged them to steal more items. However, if the minority belongs to those who didn’t steal, each person will get 50,000 Won as part of their mission money.

Ten minutes, six hundred seconds. They can be short to some while longer to others, depending on how they spent their time doing.

Before long, the time to steal objects was up and they have begun to have an open discussion regarding the things that each individual had stolen from the car that they were on during the ten minutes.

“I have a question for Jong Kook hyung,” Kwang Soo declared, kickstarting the ball of open discussion.

Jong Kook looked over at Kwang Soo, “Okay.”

Fishing an eyeliner from his pocket, he flashed the small black object to everyone. His curiosity piqued and given the opportunity, he immediately asked, “Do you apply eyeliner every day? I found an eyeliner on your seat.”

Angered, Jong Kook marched towards Kwang Soo, “Yah!”

“What is this about?” Jae Suk asked.

“Jong Kook, close your eyes.” Kwang Soo asked, leaning forward to inspect Jong Kook’s eyes to check if he had drawn eyeliner on his eyes.

As Jong Kook eyes were eyeliner-free and he doesn’t use that product, his first thought was that Kwang Soo was framing him, he retorted, “Why would I apply eyeliner? Whose is it?”

“You want your eyes to look bigger,” Jae Suk reasoned, supporting Kwang Soo.

“No!” He retaliated.

He knew that his eyes were small, but the physical attributes of his eyes didn’t bother him. That very feature of his was one that defined him.

“It was on your seat,” Kwang Soo insisted.

“He applies eyeliner,” Suk Jin commented.

That eyeliner seemed quite familiar to him, but he couldn’t pinpoint where.

It was then he remembered that it belonged to his girlfriend, Ji Hyo. He remembered that he found that particular eyeliner in his car’s front passenger seat and he knew immediately it belonged to Ji Hyo and that she must have dropped it. That day, they were on a date and he had dismissed his manager, Gap Jin for the day and he was the driver for his only beloved passenger, Ji Hyo. He had placed it in the storage in front of that seat. He had noted to himself to return that eyeliner to Ji Hyo but that never happened because whenever she’s with him, his mind tended to slip on such a trivial thing.

However, his negligence caused exposed him and caused everyone to question his possession of an eyeliner, a make-up accessory, that he wouldn’t use.

Being caught off guard by the situation, he blatantly accused his manager and his hands reached out for the eyeliner, “It must be Gap Jin’s. Gap Jin must have applied eyeliner.”

“Let me see your eyes,” So Min asked, stepping forward towards Jong Kook to inspect Jong Kook’s eye.

“What is this?” Jong Kook asked as he opened the eyeliner to attempt to change the topic that the eyeliner doesn’t belong to him.

“Hyung isn’t wearing eyeliner,” Kwang Soo announced.

“I don’t wear makeup,” Jong Kook grunted.

“It’s an eyeliner,” Ji Hyo said and immediately knew what was happening; that was her eyeliner that created a chaotic situation for Jong Kook.

“An eyeliner,” Jong OK chorused.

“I don’t wear makeup,” Jong Kook said.

“Oppa, it’s mine,” Ji Hyo admitted to Jae Suk sheepishly.

Jae Suk looked over at Ji Hyo, he was surprised for a moment but quickly composed, he should have known.

Jae Suk knew that he had to rescue Jong Kook from this fiasco and that the conversation can no longer continue especially now that he found out that the eyeliner belonged to Ji Hyo.

“Kwang Soo yah,” Jae Suk called out.

Kwang Soo looked over at Jae Suk curiously, he didn’t know why Jae Suk was calling his name when the target of the fiasco is Jong Kook and not him.

“I put 50,000 won in your waller,” Jae Suk said.

Embarrassed, Kwang Soo laughed sheepishly.

“Hyung, why would you say that?” Kwang Soo asked as he walked towards Jae Suk, red with embarrassment. He felt that his self-inflated confidence used to tease Jong Kook had suddenly vaporised into the thin air.

Relieved that Jae Suk managed to bring everyone's attention away on a new conversation, Ji Hyo thanked Jae Suk for getting Jong Kook out of the sticky situation that she had accidentally caused.

 

 

Upon arrival at their next mission venue, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were standing side by side as they were both in Hye Sun’s team. However, they were consciously afraid of the fact that the cameras are rolling. As such, Jong Kook tapped Kwang Soo's shoulder to exchange placed with him, who was standing beside Hye Sun. He looked at Ji Hyo's left and was proud of his beloved maknae, Se Chan, who volunteered to stand at the side, pushing Ji Hyo nearer to the centre. Since the couple became official in front of Running Man members, he had entrusted his dongsaengs to attempt to put in their best effort to look after Ji Hyo.

The next mission was a team mission named, ‘Human Bowling: Sticky Guys’ where each player has to take turns to roll to the bowling pins blindfolded within one minute. Other than the alley, the gutter area was very sticky if one ended up on the sticky surface at the end of the time limit, he would have to stay where you stuck at. If one rolls away from the bowling set towards the side, he would be eliminated. Hence, the next person will have to take part in the mission. The team that knocks down the most pins will win.

Jong Kook couldn’t stand the sight before him as he saw three men downed in fitting overall tights and a sweatsuit laid helplessly on the set of the bowling alley. He didn’t expect much from Suk Jin who was the usual race starter. But he had hope for his teammate, Kwang Soo, which had failed to meet Jong Kook’s expectations. But he knew the reason why Kwang Soo volunteered to be the first from their team to do the mission; he didn’t want to be sandwiched by the couple's stealing glances from each other. And, he was speechless at Jae Suk’s attempt as he sprawled in a very disturbing position where a lot of criticism was made.

“Look at them, I can do better,” Jong Kook whispered to Ji Hyo, who was standing beside him.

“Oh really?” Ji Hyo asked him, looking at him.

“Yes, I’m sure. Watch me,” Jong Kook insisted and when the PD cued for them to send a representative, he immediately stood up to go to the starting line.

“I will get there like a bulldozer,” Jong Kook bragged.

“I’m worried about him,” Suk Jin complained as he was in an opposing team, but he was stuck in the middle of the alley where Jong Kook would collide into.

“You should overcome the sticker,” Jong Kook told Suk Jin off.

“Yah! My face is here. My face is in the middle of it,” Suk Jin pointed out Jong Kook.

“I’ll just go through it,” Jong Kook declared and let out a smile.

“You should be careful,” Suk Jin urged.

From the start, Jong Kook made powerful straight rolls with great momentum. This prevented him to land himself into the sticky surface. After rolling forward several times, Jong Kook met with his first obstacle - Ji Suk Jin. With his Sparta instincts, he only took a couple of seconds to figure out the position of Suk Jin's head. Instantly, he defeated Suk Jin by pushing his head away. With a powerful forward roll, he continued on the rest of the path.

However, the obstacle earlier caused the almighty commander to be distracted and lose his directions. Unfortunately, he rolled when he reached the area where the bowling pins are situated at, he, unfortunately, rolled away from them and only knocked a bowling pin down.

His insignificant achievement caused everyone in the room to burst into laughter.

“What was that?” So Min asked repeatedly as no one paid attention or continued the conversation that she attempted to start.

“It was so close,” Kwang Soo remarked.

“Jong Kook hyung suddenly turned left,” Se Chan commented.

Since Jong Kook was not on the sticker, he could leave the bowling set.

Walking hastily in embarrassment, Jong Kook reasoned, “I was in a rush at the last moment.”

When Jong Kook was back, Ji Hyo , “You wanted me to watch you score only one pin?”

“I was in a rush afraid that the time would be up because of Suk Jin hyung’s defence,” Jong Kook reasoned.

“Oh really? I think I can do better than you,” Ji Hyo decided.

“Sure, you can be the next one to try. Besides, So Min is now trying,” Jong Kook challenged her.

When being asked who’s going to go next, Ji Hyo stood up immediately and volunteered to be the next one to try.

“I just saw what they did, and I’m scared,” Ji Hyo fretted, immediately regretting her impulse decision on declaring war with her tiger.

“Ji Hyo is good,” Suk Jin shuddered.

“You should go between Seok Jin and So Min,” Se Chan suggested to Ji Hyo.

“Okay, I will try,” Ji Hyo noted.

“So Min, make sure to block her,” Dong Hoon instructed.

“They have a good defence,” Kwang Soo commented.

Once the whistle is blown, Ji Hyo had a great start by doing rolls that go straight forward. She even managed to roll straight all the way. Even when she faced the first obstacle, Suk Jin, she rolled on him which caused him to groan loudly.

“Noona, good! You’re going the right way,” Kwang Soo encouraged.

However, the very next moment due to So Min’s strong pull, Ji Hyo direction was affected. So Min had no choice but to latch on Ji Hyo's leg upon seeing how the first wall of defence crumbled in a matter of moments.

“No!” Kwang Soo exclaimed. He knew that has to do something to stop So Min from hindering Ji Hyo’s journey to the bowling pins. But he didn’t know how to when it’s a fight between two ladies.

“Yah! Let me go!” Ji Hyo shouted as So Min menacingly clung onto Ji Hyo’s right tight.

Being blindfolded and wanting to prove to Jong Kook that she would be better than him, she hit So Min’s head as she barked, “Let go of me!”

Ji Hyo tried to escape from So Min’s tight grasp by sitting up and uses the support of her hands to navigate herself away from So Min. Upon ensuring that So Min's grip on her was loosened, she immediate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter