Chapter 6

Princess and the Pauper

Hitomi dragged her outside, or to the parking lot, to be exact. Which, was quite away from the front door as it was placed on the back of the building. The back door was unfortunately blocked due to a certain problem Hitomi couldn’t remember, and she didn’t know if she purposefully made a detour just because she wanted to hold Minjoo’s hands a little longer.

 

Hitomi was quick on her feet, Minjoo noted. They arrived on the parking lot no longer than five minutes; much to Hitomi’s disappointment. Five minutes was too short of a time.

 

“Where is your car?” Minjoo questioned, feeling silly as they were standing still on the parking lot as if they were a pair of streetlights. Not very tall streetlights, too. Useless.

 

What she didn’t know was; the action was deliberate on Hitomi’s part. Hitomi – who was determined to cling on Minjoo’s arm as long as possible.

 

The shorter girl grumbled, reluctantly pointing at a shiny Audi A6 parked under a snow-covered tree. “That one.”

 

Minjoo whistled; her eyes were the size of dinner plates as they walked even closer. “Daebak. I always wanted to drive this car.” Her expression turned glum. “But, you know…”

 

“Hey.” Hitomi nudged the Alpha with her elbow, offering a small smile as Minjoo turned to look at her. “You can always ride this with me,” she offered, hoping it would return Minjoo’s smile to her face.

 

It worked like a charm.

 

Minjoo gently pats her head, while her lips curled into a smile that made Hitomi’s heart melts into incoherent stuttering. “Thank you, Tomi.” Her calling Hitomi with that cute nickname is a bonus, too~ “Are you going to drive or are you going to let me drive?”

 

“You can drive?”

 

Minjoo nodded, looking a bit sheepish. “I do,” she said. “I did some Uber jobs before I had to sell my car.”


“Uber?”

 

“Online taxi service.”

 

“Ah. Okay. You can drive this, then~” Hitomi offered as coolly as possible, careful to not let her excitement show.

 

Minjoo, on the other hand, was worried. “But I have never driven such an expensive car before.”

 

Damn it, Hitomi thought, annoyed. She quickly racked her brain to come up with a plausible reason that it’s okay for Minjoo to drive her car. “It’s okay. I have insurance.” A lie. What’s the point of insurance if you wanted to waste your money? “Besides, I can’t drive and I’ve asked my driver to go home if it’s running late.”

 

“Well, okay…” Minjoo quickly and eagerly escorted Hitomi to the passenger shotgun seat, opening the car door before Hitomi could open it herself. Hitomi nearly had a heart attack.

 

“What?” Minjoo queried with a worried tone. She prodded her Wolf, but it didn’t help much as it was quite slow with women's wants. It always about Minjoo’s unnecessary conflict of needs and emotions far before they met this confusing damsel in distress. “Perhaps she wanted to sit on the back? That’s where princesses like her sit, right?” Her Wolf offered after a long mulling, still sounding unsure.

 

“Do you want to sit on the back?”

 

“I want to sit beside you.”

 

“You didn’t look like you wanted to…”

 

Hitomi shook her head coolly, waving her hand in dismissal as she slid inside. “You misunderstood. You just surprised me with your actions, earlier.” Another lie. She couldn’t directly tell Minjoo she almost melted into a puddle when she did that gentlemanly thing just a few seconds ago, right? Her heart fluttered so hard that Hitomi was worried it might fly away.

 

“O-Ok,” Minjoo chuckled nervously, walking as calmly as possible to the driver seat and just drive.

 

--

 

The ride, as expected, was silent. But not the uncomfortable kind; but rather the silence you typically enjoy because of the simple presence of your wanted company. Hitomi wasn’t a fan of watching the scenery she had witnessed a thousand times while sitting at the back seat, but somehow the night skies of Seoul were prettier and there was something warm just by seeing Minjoo’s childlike smile.

 

But the silence was meant to end sooner or later, and Minjoo decided to break the silence with the grace of a drunken bull. That was, by asking an unnecessarily blunt question that wasn’t supposed to be asked out loud.

 

“When you say it’s getting late… did you mean that you wanted to take me out for a ride?”

 

A part of Hitomi was itching to just grumble and she did just that. Grumble. “I’d rather ride you, to be honest,” she said, beneath her grumbling sounds.

 

Minjoo strained her ears to listen but was still unable to make out her words. “Did you say something, Tomi?”

 

“I didn’t say anything.”

 

“O-Ok…” Perhaps I imagined it. “Are you feeling cold, perhaps?”

 

An idea popped into Hitomi’s mind. “Not really,” she said, while purposefully rubbing her hands together as if she was cold. And voila! Hook line and sinker, Minjoo took her hands and clasped one of them with one of her hands, with the other still gripping the steering wheel after setting the temp to warmer.

 

The rest of the ride was silent, with Minjoo focused on her driving and Hitomi focused on not combusting. Their state was teetering the edges of comfortable-uncomfortable silence, but neither minded the confusing state. Until they had finally arrived on Hitomi’s luxurious apartment complex, and Minjoo needed to tell Hitomi about her plan to stop by a convenience store to buy something.

 

“I want you to stay the night,” Hitomi said quickly before Minjoo could ask her to disentangle their hands. “Sleep with me.”

 

“…What?”

 

“You don’t have any classes tomorrow, right?”

 

“I don’t but,” stammered Minjoo with wide eyes. She tried her best on focusing her grip on the steering wheel and tried not to get affected by the lazy circles Hitomi made at the surface of her hand. “Sleep as in sleep or do you want me to do something inappropriate to you tonight?”

 

The word ‘inappropriate’ successfully made Hitomi doubled over in laughter. “It’s not inappropriate, Minmin. It’s just .”

 

Minjoo looked like she was going to faint.

 

Hitomi made a face. “Are you serious?”

 

Hitomi,” Minjoo began shakily before Hitomi could say anything else. She learned the nickname could bring unwanted emotion to get stronger so she decided to avoid using that. “We only have known each other 3 days ago.”

 

As expected, Hitomi was determined. “Yet One night stand is a thing. Your point?”

 

“It’s not right,” Minjoo tried to say as gently as possible, careful on not spewing any judgmental point of view. “I respect you as an Omega and while our relationship is nothing but… a business” – Minjoo swallowed; confused about why did tasted so bitter when she said that – “Our first time together should be fully intended—a full agreement of both party to take the next step of a relationship; not because I just happened to have no classes tomorrow.”

 

“You are brave to reject a princess like her,” Her Wolf muttered, shaking its head, but Minjoo could feel it was grinning like a proud father. “Your grandfather was right; you are terribly old-fashioned and conservative.

 

“Is it a compliment or is it a mockery?” Minjoo questioned her Wolf, smiling inwardly in amusement. A howl of laughter was the only thing she heard echoing inside her mind.

 

Back in the real world, Hitomi was disagreeing with Minjoo’s words.

 

“But—“ But the protest didn’t come out. Instead of glaring to assert her dominance, Hitomi turned her head sideways, silently waving her white flag. By the reflection on the window, Minjoo could see Hitomi was pouting; sulking like a spoiled brat. “But you still need to stay the night,” she finally said, after a long silence of contemplating.

 

Sensing that if she tried to bargain a little more she would lose more than she should, Minjoo decided to relent. She sighed, smiling a little as she turned off the engine after parking the car properly. “I will. If, you allow me to call my siblings first.”

 

“You can do that while cuddling me to sleep.”

 

“…Alright.”

 

The slight frown Minjoo displayed briefly before she offered Hitomi a smile somehow made Hitomi’s heart twinge a little.

 

--

 

Pissed. Very pissed.

 

That was what Hitomi currently felt when she saw there was no Minjoo on her bed once she finished showering. How was she supposed to seduce Minjoo if her target had somehow disappeared into thin air?!

 

Hitomi released an angry huff and stripped off from her towels, not even bothering to close the door properly as she rummaged her wardrobe for a decent but effortlessly y nightgown. Hmm, now that she thought about it, if she came in too strong Minjoo might could combust.

 

Forget the nightgown, then; she will save it for their special night~

 

And so finally, Hitomi settled on a rather simple pajama that covered too much skin, but thin enough for Minjoo to feel her skin underneath the thin fabric should they cuddle tonight.

 

And note: if they cuddle tonight.

 

With that in mind, Hitomi her heels, stomping out from her room only to crash into Minjoo who was about to enter the room.

 

“I’m sorry,” Minjoo apologized, instinctively rubbing her nose and Hitomi’s crown that smashed against her nose. “I need to take a pee and change…”

 

“I thought you ran away,” Hitomi deadpanned, crossing her arms with an unimpressed expression. But inside, she was once again melting at the unnecessarily warm gesture. She her heels, silently gesturing Minjoo to follow her. “Close the door,” she reminded haughtily before Minjoo could take a step.

 

Minjoo obediently did as she was told, padding over to the king-sized bed that had Hitomi sprawled on top of it. Minjoo chuckled, finding how Hitomi hugging the plushies on the bed was adorable.

 

“Come here,” Hitomi requested, patting a space while kicking away her Apeach plushie away to make a decent space. The giant plush landed on the floor with a soft thud, and Minjoo wasn’t sure why did she feel profoundly sorry for a dead thing.

 

The Alpha heeded her words; wordlessly climbing the bed and settled on the edges. She gave Hitomi a bright, innocent smile. “Good night!”

 

Hitomi was unimpressed.