Chapter 4

Princess and the Pauper

As soon as they exited the station, cold air immediately greeted both girls, leaving one suffering and the other unaffected. The air wasn't that cold—still above 0°C even just a little. Normally it was colder, but even with the slightly warmer temperature, Hitomi was still a snotty mess even under the safety of her thick coat.

 

"God," Hitomi muttered, sniffing as she hugged herself. "I don't like public transportation."

 

"You should have listened to me," replied the Alpha casually, once again intertwining their fingers together. She peered over the crowd and her eyes caught a café nearby. An idea struck her. "Do you want some coffee to warm yourself, Hitomi-sshi?"

 

Too focused on gaining body heat from Minjoo, Hitomi didn't answer her properly; only releasing small grunts of annoyance of the cold.

 

Minjoo sighed, deciding that the answer was a yes. After all, women tend to be moody and grumpy when they are hungry. Yes, herself included. She dragged Hitomi with her, not minding how Hitomi clinging to her arm like a koala. The fashionista didn't even realize Minjoo was walking forward because oh damn her arms—

 

Warmth embraced Hitomi, and that was when Hitomi finally realized they had moved place. They were inside the café Minjoo spotted just earlier. It was cozy and warm, smelled of nice things and bread—

 

Ooh, I love bread.

 

Minjoo took her to sit away from the door, somehow knowing the cold December air was Hitomi's bane of existence. The place she chose was close to the radiator, the machine was humming pleasantly as it radiated heat Hitomi longed so much. "Hitomi-sshi, you can sit here while I go order something. Anything you like?"

 

Hitomi batted her eyelashes. "You."

 

The Alpha had the audacity to turn to the menu written above the cashier, frowning when she didn't find any you on it. "There's no you there, Hitomi-sshi," she said, frowning. "Do you like Americano? I can still afford two cups of them."

 

Hitomi glared at her.

 

Minjoo honestly didn't know what was wrong, until she let go of her arm to take out her wallet – and slapped several ₩50,000 bills to her palm.

 

"We don't need this much money," Minjoo tried to explain, pointing at the café menu once again. The amount of money Hitomi gave her was ridiculously too many. Had she never been to a small coffee shop before? "See? I can still afford—"

 

Hitomi's glare intensified.

 

Minjoo gulped, getting scared and worried. Her Wolf, on the other hand, was having a moment laughing its off. "You useless human," it mocked, before disappearing inside the darkness again.

 

"What did I say just this morning?" Hitomi narrowed her eyes, her voice loud, making few heads turn. "Let me be your sugar—"

 

Minjoo hastily cut her off. "Say! Do you have any preference, Tomi?"

 

Like magic, Hitomi's glare disappeared. It turned into a lovestruck gaze that made Minjoo caught off guard. She knew women—especially Omega women—have scary mood swings, but this is ridiculous.

 

"I'll have what you'll have," Hitomi answered her question, batting her eyelashes flirtatiously. "If they have a bread please add it in please~"

 

"Of course," Minjoo nodded, relieved. Whatever that was, she was glad Hitomi wasn't mad at her anymore. She gave Hitomi a soft smile. "Anything for you, Tomi," she said softly, before walking to order their coffee with Hitomi's cash in hand.

 

Little did she know, as soon as she was away, Hitomi was having her fangirling moment alone.

 

MY HEART GOES DOKI DOKI MINJOO-SSHI YOU ARE A DANGEROUS CREATURE—

 

"Hitomi-sshi, are you alright?"

 

Hitomi quickly composed herself as best as she could, while still shooting hearts from her eyes. She noticed Minjoo was already carrying two cups of coffee and a box—filled with breads, she assumed.

 

"That quick?" She couldn't help but ask.

 

Minjoo nodded. "They are always quick on their service for takeaways." Minjoo took Hitomi's free hand again, ignoring Hitomi's splutter of surprise. "And I bought cream cheese buns," the Alpha added, opening the box to reveal freshly baked buns. "I think I remember you often post about cream buns, and I hope I wasn't mistaken?"

 

"Minjoo," Hitomi was touched as she reached to take one while she placed her cup back to the holder Minjoo was carrying, "that is my favorite, thank you."

 

Minjoo gave her another dazzling smile that made Hitomi swoon on her spot. "Don't mention it. Their cream cheese bun is the best around here and I thought you'll like it." And it was proved by how Hitomi seem to melt as soon as she took a bite, giving happy noises as the soft, sweet and savory cream filling flowed to .

 

They walked in silence, hand in hand, with Minjoo admiring the bustling streets and Hitomi savoring the taste of her bread—while enjoying how warm Minjoo's hand wrapped around her own. They only met yesterday, but Hitomi felt like they had been a couple since forever.

 

Never had she feel so comfortable, protected and warm with a stranger before.

 

It feels so right with her.

 

 

 


She took a bite on her second bun, humming happily as she munched. "You speak as if you often go here," Hitomi said suddenly, realizing that Minjoo seemed to be friendly with the server just earlier, as if Minjoo often went there. "Do you know her?"

 

"I do." Minjoo grinned, happy that Hitomi liked the bun so much. She shrugged off the slight frown on Hitomi's face, thinking nothing of it. "I used to buy something after working part-time on that convenience store," she pointed at the said store, just across a fancy studio. "I quitted just recently because it's too far from my apartment."

 

Hitomi was silent for a few minutes until the bread on her hand is completely gone. And as soon as she finished her bread, she turned to Minjoo, giving her a strange look. "...You're kidding?"

 

"Why would I?" Minjoo was genuinely confused.

 

"Because Minjoo-sshi," Hitomi pointed her hand toward the fancy studio, wearing a smug grin as she looked at Minjoo's eyes, "that studio is mine."

 

Minjoo paused on her steps. "You're kidding."

 

"I'm not," Hitomi grinned, tugging Minjoo to follow her. "We're heading there. It's one of my studios. My office is up there but my sister uses this building more often. Photographer Kang Hyewon. Do you know her?"

 

"How can I not know her!" Minjoo nearly screamed, amazed. "My brother is a big fan of hers! And you're sisters? How is it not exposed to the media?"

 

"We're half-sisters," Hitomi explained as she pushed the door open, "and no one ever pried so—Hyewon unnie!"

 

The said woman was eating cup noodles right in front of the entrance, sitting at where clients were supposed to seat until their turn. It was lunch time, so Minjoo wasn't surprised to see the studio was nearly vacant with staffs.

 

"Hitomi!" Hyewon sputtered out, surprised by the sudden visit. She coughed a little before setting her meal away to greet her sister, before giving Minjoo a suspicious look. She circled around the Alpha, giving scrutinizing looks and incoherent muttering, her fingers her chin.

 

Finally, the photographer finished doing... whatever she was doing and returned to her original position, still with her fingers her chin, with the other hand resting on her hips. "Who is this?" She questioned, still with suspicion on her voice and eyes, but Minjoo could feel Hyewon was a bit relaxed this time.

 

"My new girlfriend," the Omega haughtily intoned, wrapping her arms around Minjoo's arm and rested her cheek on the taller girl's bicep, looking dangerously possessive. "And she's going to work as our new Alpha model, so I brought her here so we can schedule her debut."

 

"New girlfriend?" Hyewon was surprised. She gave Minjoo a once-over and sniffed the air, shaking her head a little. Her eyes narrowed. "Strange. Were you longtime friends before you are dating?"

 

The "couple" looked at each other, a little confusedly. "Not long time, no," Hitomi answered neutrally after seconds of contemplation, tightening her arms possessively around Minjoo's arm. "Why?"

 

Hyewon paused, then sniffed. "Nevermind that; I could have been mistaken," she muttered, frowning as she shrugged her shoulders. "And her debut, you say?" Hyewon's eyes narrowed again as she changed the topic. "I assume you already have a contract, Miss Alpha? Hey Hitomi, she can talk, right?"

 

"It's Minjoo," introduced Minjoo with a nervous smile, ignoring her Wolf who growled in annoyance inside her mind. "It was an oral contract like Tomi insisted."

 

Minjoo wasn't aware of the squealing noises Hitomi produced, but Hyewon was aware.

 

"I see," she said, corners of her lips twitching upward, amusement alight on her dark eyes. She turned to Hitomi. "But Hitomi, she will need a signed contract to start working formally. Tell you what, if the paperwork is done today, I'll contact Chaeyeon and the Demons—"

 

"Chaeyeon and Ddaengz," Hitomi corrected calmly, amusedly.

 

"—The Demons," Hyewon dutifully ignored the correction, "to prepare the concept you've been talking about as soon as possible."

 

"How soon?" The CEO prodded.

 

Hyewon smirked, eyeing Minjoo with hungry eyes.

 

Perfection. But those glasses need to go.

 

"Tuesday," she said, "clear out any schedules you have after 10 AM, Minjoo. I'll be the one who is in charge of your debut photoshoot; so don't mess up."

 

"I-I have classes..." Minjoo muttered weakly.

 

"Until?"

 

"2 PM..."

 

"Tsk," Hyewon rolled her eyes, crossing her arms as she swiveled around to pick up her phone. She was silent for several minutes before turning around again, giving the pair a smug look.

 

"You're in luck," she began with a smirk, "Chaeyeon and the Demons—"

 

"—Ddaengz."

 

"—Demons, are only available after 3 PM. Once you're done with your class, hurry the up, alright soldier?"

 

Minjoo wanted to only smile, but her Wolf forced her to grin and salute. "Sir yes, sir!"