Life is Cruel

I will protect you

"Take Hyejin! Run! Don't look back! Hurry up! Take her away!"

A woman immediately grab her hand and escape with all her might.

"You ! Don't hurt my daughter!" The man shouted as he swing his axe at the figure's head.

Splat

The axe slice through the figure's head. The figure fell down and blood started to spread through the floor. He panted and smile, but the smile fade as soon as it came. The figure suddenly stand up again and laugh.

"Hahahaha! You think you can kill me with that ? Don't worry, your wife and child will join you soon. The figure jump towards him and he scratch the man's throat with his nails. Blood splattered and he fell down. "I'll save you for later." He said while his nails. He immediately walk out of the house and search for the escaping figures.

It was dark. She was scared. She didn't know what happened to her father. She prayed that God would help them before it's too late. She looked back, hoping her father would catch up soon.

Thud

"Ouch!" The small figure tripped and fell down, making her whine in pain.

"It's okay Hyejin, we'll be safe. You'll be safe." She immediately help her up and just when she was about to take another step, she stopped. The figure is standing in front of them. She stand in front of Hyejin immediately, protecting her daughter. She knew she couldn't win, but at least she could stall him so Hyejin could get away safely.

"Hyejin, run."

Her legs froze, she could barely move. Her eyes widen when the figure suddenly jumped towards her mother and bit her neck. She took a step back and saw her mother's lifeless body dropped to the ground. "Help! Heeeelp!" She shouted as hard as she could. The figure smiled widely, showing his bloody fangs out. Hyejin can barely move, she was too scared. The figure approach her slowly and he raise a hand to grab her. Suddenly, a loud gunshot can be heard. The figure in front of her fall down and turn to ashes. She was speechless, she didn't understand what just happened.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" A woman said to her, running towards her. Hyejin take a step back. She's just been attacked by a guy, why would she believe anyone right now?

"Easy there. I'm not going to hurt you." The woman said, talking as soft as she could so she wouldn't scare the girl.

"Irene, she's dead." Another voice said. Hyejin just realize and she immediately run to her mother.

"Mom!" She cried out.

"I'm sorry. She's gone."

"Please wake up! I promise I'll be a good girl, I won't be naughty, I'll eat my veggies! So please...don't leave me..." She continue to cry and she felt a hand wrapped around her.

"I'm sorry." They stay for a while and let Hyejin mourn for her mother's death.

"My...my dad...is he okay?"

"Where's your dad?"

"He stay home and told me and my mom to run. That man was there too!" They decided to check him out, though they knew her father might be dead, but they decided to go and take a look. Upon arriving, Irene told her partner and Hyejin to stay outside. Irene opened the door and found a body on the ground with a scar on his neck.

"You died as a hero today." She closed her eyes and let out a sigh. "Those vampires. I swear I'll kill every last one of them." She headed out and told them about it. Hyejin cried again and the two comfort her, taking a rest in the house because it's already dark and they didn't know how many of them are out there. After Hyejin fell asleep, they went out."

"Seulgi, we should bury them first before going to sleep. I'll go and fetch the mother while you bury the father and protect that girl, okay?" Seulgi nodded. She prepare in case another vampire comes and try to attack them. When Irene returns, Seulgi take the father body outside and search for a shovel in the house. She started digging the land and bury the two.

[The next day]

Hyejin wake up and stare at the ceiling. Her eyes are red and a bit puffy because of all the crying last night. She remembers everything and couldn't hold her tears. She started crying again until she heard a knock on her door. She didn't reply. Seulgi decided to open the door and see Hyejin crying at the moment. She approaches her and sit next to her. Seulgi wraps her arms around Hyejin to comfort the girl.

"It's okay, just let it out." After a while, Seulgi ask her for a breakfast and they headed downstairs. On the table, Hyejin can see a toast and a glass of milk.

"Hi! You're finally up. You should eat. We'll leave this place after you eat." Hyejin nodded and she started eating slowly. It was like a nightmare, except it was real. Her mother's dead. Her father's dead. She's all alone now. She had no one left.

"My name is Irene. This is my partner, Seulgi. What's your name?"

"Hyejin, Ahn Hyejin."

"Nice to meet you Hyejin."

"You said after this, you two will leave. What about me?" Hyejin afraid that creature will come again and attack her. She wanted to be safe. She wants some to protect her, or at least train her to get stronger.

"What do you mean? Of course you're coming with us." Irene said casually. Hyejin felt glad, but she needed to know what those are, why did they attack her family, and who are they. She wanted to ask, but she's scared. She didn't trust them. She barely know them after all. She just went along with them. After she's done eating, Seulgi took her to where they bury her parents. Hyejin thank them and pray on their graves. She swears she'll be good and will come and visit often.

"Hyejin, do you want to come and live with us?" Hyejin surprised at her question. She didn't know, but she has no one. Her best chance of surviving is to go with them. Hyejin nod and Seulgi give her a big smile. "I see. After this, you should pack your things. You're going to live with us after all." Hyejin nodded and head to her bedroom, bringing a few clothes, a photo, and an emerald ring. That ring was very special to her (yes, it's fake). Her father gave it as a birthday present and promised to give her a real one when she reaches 15. After she pack her things, she told them she's ready and the three went out to Irene and Seulgi's house.

[Irene & Seulgi house]

"Here we are Hyejin. Come on, I'll show you your room." Irene hold Hyejin hand and take her upstairs and they stop in front of a door. She opens it and show a simple room bed, a learning table, and a wardrobe. Irene help her unpack her things and they talk while they're at it.

"So, how old are you?"

"I'm 8. What about you unnie?"

"I'm already 23, Seulgi is 20."

"I see. Whose room is this?"

"It's just a spare bedroom. Seulgi and I share a room."

"So, are you two dating?"

"What?! No we're not, we live together because it's more convenient in case something happens." Hyejin nod and the conversation continues. Irene ask anything she could, her favourite food, idols, books, anything. She wants to know her more, since she's going to live with her.

"Unnie...the creature that attacked my house, was it a vampire?" Irene fell silent. She knew that question will come eventually. She gave a small nod and started explaining.

"Yes Hyejin, that man was a vampire. They turn others into a vampire by biting them and inject poison from their fangs to turn human into vampire. In order to do so, the vampire cannot turn a dead human, he need a living human. That vampire that attacks you, he's probably hungry and searching for prey. Anyway, they cannot be killed with normal weapons. The amount of blood I found near your dad's body was too much. It probably mixed up with the vampire blood. From the axe your dad was holding, I'm guessing he manage to wound the vampire real bad, but he can regenerate and normal weapons wouldn't affect them, so he manage to struck down your father." Hyejin didn't cry, she's tired of crying all the time. She wants to get stronger and she started by stopping her tears. She knew if it wasn't because of her parents, she'll probably be dead right now. She smiled and thank her parents from the bottong of her heart and continue listening to Irene's explanation.

"Unnie, I...I want to become like you too. I want to help people, I want to defeat vampires too, so please, teach me how to be stronger, how to defeat vampires, please!" Irene laugh and it confuses Hyejin. She hugs Hyejin.

"You're still young, you sure you want to train with me and Seul?"

"Yes unnie! Please teach me!"

[8 Years Later]

Hyejin is walking out on the town to buy some groceries Irene needed. Today is Seulgi's birthday and Irene wants to make her a Miyeok-guk soup (it's a seaweed soup). It's her speciality after all. She always make one when celebrating something, either birthday, christmas, easter, she just love to cook it. She went to walmart and search for some of the ingredients. After taking everything she needed, she went to the cashier and pays for her grocery.

After visiting walmart, she decided to get some croissant for her and her unnies. She's standing in a queue and a man bumps onto her.

"So-sorry, I'm sorry." He said and just casually walk off. Hyejin pay no mind and she suddenly hear a commotion.

"Wait! Let me go! I'm sorry!" She saw the man just now was on the ground and a brown-haired girl was gripping her shirt collar. Hyejin approaches them immediately and watch them. The brown-haired girl saying something about not doing it again and the man run away. She didn't know what happened, so she decided to ask the girl.

"I'm sorry, what just happened?" The girl look at her.

"Hi, sorry about the commotion. I saw him stealing your wallet. Here." She handed a wallet to Hyejin. Hyejin gladly took it and she thank her.

"Thank you so much. I'm Hyejin by the way."

"I'm Wheein, nice to meet you. Anyway, gotta run! Bye!" Wheein waves her goodbye and leave the area. Hyejin felt something was off from the girl, but decided to ignore it. She buys three cheese croissant and two banana muffins. After that, she heads home immediately because it's getting dark. She increases her pace and she finally arrives. She headed towards the kitchen and started to unpack her groceries.

"I'm home! Unnie! I've got the ingredients!" Therr was no reply. The whole house was filled with silence again. Hyejin take her gun and head upstairs slowly. She slowly open Irene's room and peek inside.

"And here I thought something bad happened to you." She said as she saw her sleeping on her room. Hyejin decided to leave her alone and head towards the kitchen to prepare some food.

An hour later, Seulgi arrives and find the two already at the dining table. There's a miyeok-guk soup and a red velvet cake on the table. Irene and Hyejin sang happy birthday and they celebrated Seulgi birthday.

[Meanwhile]

"What the hell? I already told you to stay inside, didn't I!" The man hit her again, the girl didn't respond.

"Sorry, dad. I won't go out unless you allow me. I'm sorry."

"If you ever break my rules again, I swear Jung Wheein, I'm going to make you wish you were never born!" He exited her room and slam the door hard. She sits on her bed, wondering why her life's like this. Wheein is different after all. The council's (yes, vampire council) unaware of her presence because her parents hide it. Her father's afraid the council might take her away if they ever finds out about her. After all, she's special.

"Sigh. I want to go outside. Why's my father like this..." She decided to swallow her thoughts and decided to play games to distract herself.

[Back to Irene's house]

"Seul, what did Hani said?" Irene ask her while cutting the cake and putting it on the table.

"Yeah, last night, a body was found in a dark alley. The man died and a bite mark can be seen on his neck. I'm sure it's a vampire."

"Did Hani unnie know who the vampire is?" Hyejin ask. Hyejin has been training since she was eight and she joins the hunter force when she was 10. She already went on a few mission and make some friends within the force. Her life led up to this moment. She wanted to go and kill every last of vampire in this world. She wanted to murder them all and stop them from ruining other peoples life.

"Yes, she wants us to go after him. He lives in Jeonju, a middle-age man, probably in his 30s. His victim was found on Triple X's bar, so he probably live near. We're going there tonight before he kills another victim." After eating, they clean up and pack their weapons. They bring extra bullets in case more vampires shows up. Seulgi start up her car and drove towards Triple X's bar.

"This is where they found the body. Seul, can you track him?" Seulgi can smell like a dog. She sniff at the ground and manage to pick up the man's scent.

"I got him, this way." Seul lead the way and they arrive on a small house.

"This is it Irene." Irene look inside using her infra-red camera and find no heat source.

"There's no one inside, Seul. Maybe they're out at them moment?"

"They decided to put the investigation on the hold and head to the nearest bar. They head to the counter and order some drinks.

"Irene, I think that guy's the one we're looking for. He looks suspicious, and he didn't gulp his drink at all. We should keep an eye on him." While the two were talking, Hyejin looks around and see a brown-haired girl sitting all by herself on the counter. She approach her and engage her in a conversation.

"Hi, you look familiar. Have we met before?" Hyejin ask the girl and look at her face, trying to figure out where she's seen her before.

"Hello. Um, yes, we've met before. Near the croissant shop, remember?" Hyejin makes an I-knew-it face.

"That's why you look familiar! What are you doing here?"

"I'm accompanying my dad. He's over there." She points to a man that's currently dancing with a woman.

'That guys seems off, I can't put it into words, but something's off from him. Fangs? He closes his mouth so I can't see it. What about his nails? Wait, vampires can retract their nails. Eyes? It's black, but he could be hiding it using soft lens. Or maybe it's just my imagination.' Hyejin smiles at her. She's unsure what else to say, so she decided to move back to her unnies. "I see. I'm here with my sisters. Anyway, it's nice to talk to you. Can I get your number?"

"Are you hitting on me? Because I do swing that way." Wheein face looks calm and composed when she said it, making Hyejin shock a bit but she put up her confident self again.

"Yeah babe, so, what's your number?" Wheein dial her numbers on Hyejin phone and gave it back to her.

"Here's my number. Be sure to call me, okay?" Hyejin nods and left the girl. She sits next to Irene.

"Where were you just now? I thought you were kidnapped or something." Irene looks so worried yet so angry at the same time.

"Sorry unnie. Did you find any clue about his whereabouts?"

"Nope, not yet. I think we should call it a night, don't you think? It's already 2 am in the morning." Hyejin and Seulgi nodded and the three left the bar and heads home.

[At home]

"Is Hyejin asleep?"

"Yes Seul."

"Let's report to Hani first." They all Hani but no answer. They assume she's asleep at he moment and decided to report tomorrow.

"Irene. Do you think Hyejin's going to become a hunter for the rest of her life?"

"Why did you ask that?"

"I...I'm just worried. I wanted her to live a peaceful life, but she wanted to be a hunter and now, her life is at stakes. I don't want to lose her. I'm afraid Irene, I don't want to lose anyone anymore...It's all my fault that Wendy-"

"Seulgi!" Irene raise her voice, stopping the girl from talking. Seulgi started crying and Irene felt bad for raising her voice. She wraps her arms around the younger girl and pat her back.

"It's okay Seul, it's not your fault. This time, we'll protect Hyejin together, okay? I know you feel sad about Wendy death, but trust me, she wouldn't want you to feel like this. Please stop blaming yourself Seul."

Seulgi finally calmed down. Irene planted a kiss on her lips and ensure her Hyejin will be fine. Seulgi finally calm down and the two finally fell asleep and drifted to their dreams.