Chapter 2: Whipped

Chocolate Brownies

Aisha’s POV

After I left the dorm, I really couldn’t stop thinking of Sihyeon. Was she really going to be okay by herself? Will she have enough strength to cook herself something or at least order something to eat?  Will she get lonely? Will she feel miserable?  So many questions bombarded my mind one after another. Even though Sihyeon is older than me, she is just an unnie I have to take care of.

The reason is because Sihyeon may act bright and cheerful around us most of the time, but the truth is, she has her moments of weaknesses too. She tends to hide it well though but it really hurts me seeing her trying to shoulder everything by herself and acting as though everything’s okay. Sihyeon was always considerate of my feelings and was there for me whenever I needed someone. That’s why I also always want to be unnie’s safe place – her comfort, her refuge, her home.

I know unnie would be mad at me if I ditched all my plans and ran back to her now. Also, I don’t even know if she really wanted me home. What if she wanted her time alone? Would I be a nuisance to her? I just want to be with unnie especially when she’s having a hard time though…

In the end, I just went ahead and met my friends from high school for lunch as originally planned. I had a very pleasant time just catching up with them and joking around like the old days. It was a strange feeling being called Yoorim though since I was so used to the Everglow members calling me Aisha.

Even while with my old school friends, I couldn’t stop thinking of Sihyeon by herself at home. Thoughts wondering whether she was truly okay but also trailing off to things like how it would sound like if she whispered “Yoorim-ah” into my ear. Somehow just thinking about that made me flush up. Gosh what’s wrong with me? Perhaps I am really that whipped for Kim Sihyeon. What do I even do with myself?

As it was currently around 2:30 pm, I headed to my next meetup for the day. I was going to a café to meet up with IZ*ONE’s Jang Wonyoung. I was introduced to her through Sihyeon who thought we would get along well.  And guess what? We really do hit it off.  Sihyeon really does know me well. Even though Wonyoung is a couple of years younger than me, we relate to each other on so many different levels. Be it our taste in fashion, food, dramas and even our outlook in life. For someone so young, she also gives really great advice. We also often talked about our members. Wonyoung talked about Yujin a lot, and I guess I did talk a lot about Sihyeon.

Both of us would often share about our individual concerns regarding both Yujin and Sihyeon respectively. That way, we could help each other to come up with solutions. We couldn’t meet up often due to work, but I always enjoyed my catch-up sessions with Wonyoung as the both of us were just two girls helplessly whipped for an unnie a year older than us. I suppose that’s another thing there we have in common.

“Is iced vanilla latte okay? I’ll order 2 for the both of us,” asked Wonyoung. I didn’t have any qualms with that, so Wonyoung went ahead to make the order with the waitress.

“You really do love your iced vanilla latte huh?” I asked in amusement.

“I do! Aisha unnie, do you know why we both need to have this today?” questioned Wonyoung.

“No? Why?”

“The answer is obvious! We need to have the same drink to be on the same wavelength!” exclaimed Wonyoung cheerfully as her eyes beamed in excitement.

I wasn’t actually sure if she was serious about that statement but her randomness was so cute it made me smile.  We then started chatting away like we always did. And then it reached the topic on Sihyeon. I presented my dilemma to Wonyoung about being worried about Sihyeon and wanting to go back to see her. I also told her that perhaps my presence would be unwanted even if I did go back.  Wonyoung listened to every word I said attentively and when I was done, she had some words of advice.

“Sometimes you just gotta bulldoze your way through. If your heart wants to go back to her, then just do it. Buy her some food or sweets you both enjoy and eat it together with her. Good food always helps to create a good atmosphere unnie!“

“Hmmm perhaps you’re right...” I replied while pondering on her words.  

“You know Yujin unnie once told me she’s happiest when she sees me enjoy my food! She looked at me so fondly as I ate. I was so shy, but I was the happiest girl alive too when she smiled so gently at me with her adorable dimples. Food really does magic! In fact, I even bought her chocolate brownies from this café for the both of us to share before. She loved it! Aisha unnie, you should buy them too!” exclaimed Wonyoung enthusiastically.

When Wonyoung got super excited, she would usually talk and ramble a lot. But that was a super cute side of her too. And what she was saying actually did make a lot of sense. Or rather…oh my god! She’s a genius! Whenever it is that time of the month for Sihyeon, she always craves chocolate. If I buy her back chocolate brownies, I’ll be like her hero! Just imagining her bright warm smile directed to me in gratitude made me grin unknowingly to myself in front of Wonyoung who then smirked back at me.

“Oooh what is this? Unnie, you like my idea?”

“Wonyoung-ah! I love you, you’re a genius! Sihyeon unnie has been craving chocolate lately. So, this is perfect!! Damn, sometimes I feel you really help me out more than I help you though I’m the unnie. I feel bad…” I said apologetically to Wonyoung.

“That’s not true Aisha unnie! I really admire how open you are in showing physical affection to Sihyeon unnie…I want to be able to do that too with Yujin unnie but I always get too shy. But whenever I hear you stories, it always makes me a little braver. So, thank you unnie! I love you too!”

Wonyoung beamed back at me reassuringly and pointed at the chocolate brownie that was on display, motioning me to order it. I smiled and nodded at her while I called the waitress to order some brownies for takeaway. I really wanted to talk to Wonyoung more but I was also so restless inside because I just quickly wanted to go see Sihyeon and be with her.

“Okay, I think it’s time I take my leave since I’m going out tonight too. Don’t you also have somewhere to go too unnie?” said Wonyoung with a soft smile as she stood up, getting ready to leave. Wow, what? Did she really see through me? I guess she did. I nodded back at Wonyoung, thanked her and gave her a long, warm hug filled with my gratefulness.

“Oh, Aisha unnie, one more thing! Sihyeon unnie once said you have a very pretty smile right? Just seeing you smile would take all her pain away. I know it unnie!” said Wonyoung cheekily as she turned to leave.

“Oh please Wonyoung, did you tell your unnies you are going on your little ‘dinner date’ with Yujin tonight? If you keep teasing me like this, I’ll tell Sihyeon unnie, and you bet she’ll tell Yena unnie. Then your unnies at the dorms will bug you non-stop about it!” I playfully retorted back at her.

“No please don’t! Not until our date is over at least. Aisha unnie please, I trust you unnie...” pleaded Wonyoung with her big puppy eyes gazing right into mine. Gosh, there is no way I can win against this adorable creature.

“Okay you win.” I said in defeat. The both of us laughed heartily and then we went our separate ways. I looked at my phone and checked the time. It was 4:00 pm. I was supposed to meet some of my friends from my former company for karaoke at 5:00 pm and then go for dinner. But Sihyeon was more important, so I texted them and apologized, saying an emergency came up that I needed to attend to.

Well, I wasn’t lying. I think if I didn’t go to see Sihyeon right away, I’ll regret it forever. I mean I was already going crazy just thinking about her the whole day.  All I could think of was running back to the dorms and holding her in my arms, spoiling her, feeding her some brownies, laughing together with her…

Damn I really do love her huh. Sihyeon unnie, what have you done to me? Please wait for me. I’ll be home soon!