five: past & future

bloom again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are you ready for your wedding?” Minjoo asked, slightly tilting her head to the side to look at Yuri while smiling teasingly at her.

 

Yuri blushed, sighing. “Super nervous yet so excited, I'll finally tie the knot with that duck. It's my long dream, it felt so surreal that it'll happen in three days.” She replied, resting her head on the table gently. The brunette chuckled, sipping on her frappe as she stared lovingly at her friend.

 

“I'm so happy for you, Yuri-ah,” She suddenly said, her tone was so soft and it almost made Yuri go emotional. “Tss. Don't make me cry right here, I'm saving my tears for my wedding!” The blonde huffed as she tried to hold back her tears making Minjoo chuckle. “I'm just really happy for you, that's it!” She chirped.

 

Weeks have passed after their outfit fitting, and in three days Yuri and Yena will finally tie down the knot, both couples are so excited about it that they didn't even manage to sleep every night.

 

The two friends are currently hanging out at the café where Sakura works as a barista and manager. The main and popular branch of O'My Café.

 

They decided to meet up since Minjoo went home early, her boss is suddenly in a good mood and let her have a half-day while Yuri, she doesn't really know what to do since she's on a break on her job— well, she can go back anytime since she's the boss of herself, she's an independent music composer/producer. However, her fiancé can't entertain her because the duck is a busy woman, she's trying to finish all of her works and even advanced everything, also trying to finish the projects that are not really required to be finished this month because she and Yuri will go for a honeymoon trip at Hawaii for a week then enjoy her married life for another three weeks before she goes back to work— she doesn't want everything to pile up then work on it hastily after her break.

 

“Well, how are you, by the way? It's been a while since we talked alone.” Yuri started as she stirred her iced tea with the straw, eyeing her brunette friend. Minjoo smiled weakly. “Same old. There's nothing interesting happening at my office, only Chaewon being a little bit sweet towards me, if that counts. The boss is still making it hard for me. It's a shock he let me leave very early today after I passed my papers, probably impressed.” She explained, taking a bite of her ham sandwich.

 

Yuri chuckled. “So, how's being near your ex-girlfriend?” She dropped the bomb, making the brunette frown. “Huh? What do you mean? We're okay now.” She answered, gaze darting on the shining wooden table. Actually, she's having a little bit of a hard time when the squad meets, and being around Yujin although they already talked it out. She's still awkward and always keeps reminiscing about their memories even if it's not really necessary.

 

Like weeks ago in the outfit fitting, she almost cried while looking at Yuri who's smiling ear to ear while wearing her glorious gown with Yena on her side, holding her hand and eyes looking very in love— not because she's happy for the couple (she's happy for them of course) but because of those past memories and unforgotten but broken promises they made while they were in each other's arms.

 

She thought she'll have inner peace after years of suffering but the past often haunts her every time, and it honestly scares her— she thought when she finally met Yujin and resolved things with her, the past will finally stop forcing itself on her but what's happening is quite the opposite— past memories, good or bad, will play into her mind whenever something triggers or reminds her of the past— of a particular blue haired woman.

 

Her fists clenched under the table, on top of her lap, gritting her teeth a bit.

 

Yuri noticed how tense Minjoo was and sighed. “You still haven't found inner peace, have you?” She asked, squinting her eyes a bit.

 

Minjoo gulped. “I have,” She breathed.

 

“Lie to me all you want, but I can see through you, Minjoo.” The blonde hissed at her, her brows furrowing into a deep frown. “Don't insist, you know yourself very well too, don't deny,” She added.

 

The brunette slackened her jaw. “Maybe I just really missed her, missed our past us when we're still clingy and happy back then, these feelings will disappear soon, I just know.” She choked out, taking a gulp from her strawberry frappe, she didn't actually want to talk about this.

 

“C-Can Chaewon tag along later? She wanted to meet me, and also, I can finally introduce her to you. I'll just introduce her to the others at the reception,” She tried to change the topic, and fortunately, Yuri took the hint and smiled a bit, nodding timidly. “Sure.”



 

 

“I heard many rumors about you when you were in London,” An old woman reaching her mid-50s started off, sipping on her tea as she eyed the woman with striking electric blue hair across the table who's just calmly sitting there with eyes closed.

 

Yujin snorted, leaning her back to the backrest of the comfortable seat. “They weren't rumors, they were probably true,” She answered, opening her left eye to stare back. “Mom.” She added, tilting her head.

 

The old woman hissed, eyes narrowing down her mischievous daughter. “I do not approve of your playgirl behaviour, Yujin,” She said while gritting her teeth. “Settle down with only one person.”

 

Chuckling, the tall woman shook her head in amusement. “Where was that spirit when I was so very much in love and happy with Minjoo-unnie?” She asked, the glint on her eyes are playful but despite her playful demeanor, her tone came off bitter making Yura scowl.

 

“I don't like women for you, I want you to settle with a man. The only woman I approve of for you is Vi—” She was cut off when Yujin huffed at her, mirroring her scowling expression. “She's only a friend, nothing else.” She firmly said.

 

The mother and daughter had a staring competition, no one backed down, the tension around the room started to get heavier. The staring fight ended when the door opened, revealing a man in his mid 50's wearing an expensive black suit while his face remained neutral.

 

He walked closer to Yura and kissed her cheek. “Honey, you should go now, and I need to train Yujin.” He said softly to his wife while Yujin just rolled her eyes, getting something from her coat's pocket.

 

“I'm still talking with our daughter, Jinhyuk, catching up with her after a long time,” Yura said sassily, raising her perfectly shaped brow at her husband. Jinhyuk just gave her a small smile. “But I need to train Yujin—”

 

“Actually, Dad. Can I take a break today? I'm not feeling well.” The blue haired woman said, standing up from her seat as she straightened her clothes and didn't wait for her father's answer and just straightly padded to the door. She ignored the annoying calls from her mother and just went out.

 

Yura is fuming mad at her daughter's inappropriate and rude actions. “Jinhyuk, I can't really understand your daughter's behavior anymore! She's much worse when she flew to England! She indeed changed, but for what? For the worse, not better!” She shouted, visibly frustrated. The man just sighed. “Let our daughter be, Yura.” He calmly said.

 

Unlike his wife, he very well understood Yujin's changed behavior. He knew very well that when Yujin left the love of her life, her whole world instantly crumbled down, and thus, her change— a very frustrating and disappointing change. So he let her be, he's aware of his own faults also.



 

Yujin walked aimlessly through the never ending hallway, reaching for the elevator at the end of the room. She took out something from her pocket, unwrapping it before slipping it inside . Lollipop, chocolate flavored one.

 

Lollipops are her replacement for cigarettes, and Yujin can proudly say that she liked this more than a stick of tobacco, although there would be a time she craves for one, she tried her best not to go to the nearest store to buy a whole case, she would just put a lollipop in — sometimes, gum.

 

She entered the elevator and pressed the ground floor button, taking her sweet time on swirling her tongue at the sweet candy since it'll take her a few minutes before she reaches the ground floor because the building has 48 floors and she's currently at the 45th one.

 

Her relationship with her parents, more likely with her mother, is a little bit complicated. The woman was already distant with her ever since Yujin’s a kid, making her a daddy’s girl. She loathed her mother because the mentioned woman won't give her much affection like every mother does to their sons and daughters. Yura would instead scold and yell at her when she makes mistakes instead of lecturing her. Their distances grew more apart when the old woman learned that Yujin is in a relationship back then at high school, and with a girl— she strongly disapproved of her and Minjoo's relationship back then, she would talk bad at the brunette making Yujin in rage, her deep hatred for her mother getting bigger each day. Her father also didn't like the idea of her dating, much less with a woman but he never spoke badly at Minjoo.

 

She gave her mother a chance to be a real mother to her, but the woman refuses to do so, no matter what she does to make her satisfied— to Yura, everything Yujin does is just average, and nothing more.

 

Yujin doesn't crave for motherly affection from her anyway, she's used to it and lived her life without any trace of sweetness on her mother's tone whenever she talks to her, and never in life, she got hugged by her own mother.


 

When she went outside, employees kept bowing at her but she paid no mind to them and just brisk walked towards the exit. She reached the open parking lot just beside the building, she eyed her bright red Ferrari at the distance while the valet just stared at her, ready to give her car keys, but instead of walking there, she turned her body around, walking at the nearest bus stop instead. She's not in the mood for driving, and it's been a while since she ever took a public bus, she also uses a car when she was in London.

 

She doesn't really have any destination, she just stepped inside the bus when the vehicle's door opened. She paid for the fare and sat in the vacant seat, eyes glued to the window. Lucky for her, the bus is not yet packed— there's about six passengers— an elderly couple, and four teenage girls who're wearing school uniforms, whispering about something that Yujin can clearly hear. Those girls are talking about her. She just let them gush over her and looked out the window.

 

The bus came to a halt, the traffic lights went red. She then looked at the establishment and people outside, boredly scanning them when her eyes caught something or rather— someone very familiar. The person is inside a café, but Yujin clearly sees them since the glass window is very clear. She's with two people, and Yujin also can recognize that blonde hair, but she can't recognize the person with orange bob hair sitting beside the brunette.

 

After a few seconds, the bus started to move again, Yujin averted her gaze abruptly, possib

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter