Gilead (2)

Short Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

__3 Years Later__

 

Due to Emperor Seulgi's sickness that led her to her death the political structure of the empire started to crumble. The current ruler, Empress Irene, has been nothing but a political figure who knows too little about economics or leadership, especially running a vigorous empire. Despite the precariousness of the government by the monarchs, it is veiled by its pompous subjects and rich resources, rendering all the citizens clueless.

 

So one day, when everyone thought that all things are going smooth and in place: residents are all busy attending to their regular agenda: marrying, partying for the newlyweds, birthday parties, and bowing down to their sacred statues one of their provinces got attacked by the men of Amon. The land of Amon waited for this opportunity to arrive. The time when the empress is still in her quarters mourning for her loss, and her children, who should be looking over their individual districts, are still very busy in sorting heirlooms left by the late emperor.

 

The news of the sudden attack reached the noble advisers and elders of the empire. Upon receiving the news, they gathered in the royal hall in the capital, the city of Jade. They made it their responsibility to give off messages to the four generals who guarded the four posts placed in each corner of the capital, "Be vigilant," written in the sealed rolled sheets carried by the messengers. They also sent a messenger en route to reach the empress before the noon ends. Written in the scroll are:

 

Thy Highness, we need thy great guidance and authority in directing thy warriors in this skirmish. The southern province has been scourged by the savages of Amon. Our men of honor and valor are all ready to fight under thy leadership.

We are all on standby, ready and waiting for thy directions.

 

 

 

 

The elders who are sitting around the long table waited for their ruler's response. They waited and waited for the longest they can until they saw the sun set outside the carved window from the brick wall. Unfortunately, no command, nor a word is received from the Empress.

 

"What an arse! This place will be toppled soon if no one will give orders to the people!" a member of the Elders council wearing a purple turban, Kim Yeon tae, grumbled. He can't stand waiting in this grand hall knowing that the southern province might be annihilated sooner than their estimation.

although most of the twelve elders are also murmuring an elder whose hair has now gone white, a reward of experience, spoke with reproach, "Did you just curse the Empress? You can be charged with treason Yeontae!"

"I did not! I am just frustrated and worried! Is there anyone in this nation who knows the language of combat? If there isn't, then we are all going to die!" The elder replied grabbing his own hair.

 

 

The murmurs became louder as they tried to reason out from each other. The commotion suddenly went on hold when the huge doors of the hall flew open. A messenger went in and fell into the ground on his knees. "A message coming from the province in the south. I am carrying a message from the king of Amon," the messenger said. "I am just a normal farmer and I saw the destruction brought in the land, and I came face to face with the vile king of Amon. he spared my life to send you this scroll." The messenger bowed, face on the ground, as he presented a sealed scroll.

 

"It is really the seal from Amon." head elder, Choi Minho said as he inspects the scroll in his hands. When he opened the scroll he read a mocking message addressed to the monarch and ended with I won't be gentle in destroying your land, just as how you stomped on ours during the time of our forefathers. Sincerely, Hiroshi Miyawaki.

 

the room is engulfed with silence after the last word of the letter was read. Their concerns fly to what might happen to them tomorrow. Are their family secured? their possessions? What will happen to the people of this empire?

For a few minutes of digesting the news, realizations start to hit them.

 

"What will happen now? Where is the Empress!"
"My wife.. she-- "

"Oh my Lord! Everyone let us prepare to lock up the gates of the capital--- Let's... let's leave while we still have time!"

Everyone is clamoring; trying to get their point across the table. Panic is sweeping across the room which brought the head elder to bang his hand on the mahogany table.

"SILENCE!" he said. "No one is going away! Listen to your selves! Are you not ashamed of what you just said?" veins are popping in his temple. He is apparently angry and it brought everyone to silence. "Don' be cowards. In every problem, there is a solution."

"So you must have a brilliant plan," one of the council said shaking and not thinking straight.

"Yes, I have a plan. Tomorrow, we are going to ride to Bezer at dawn ."

"To Bezer? You are going to cross the wilderness?"

"You are wrong. 'WE' are going to cross the wilderness so right now go to your homes and prepare your carriages."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is peaceful in the forest. Chaeyeon always loves to go there at noon, when the world is quiet when people who worked during the day take a break to eat their lunches and to get a siesta. She goes there to listen to the cuckoos of the bird and the buzzing of cicadas clinging on tree barks which are calling for a mate around her. Every time she goes there, she sits down in a clearing under a huge Nara tree and meditates. She listens to the echoes of the birds, swaying of the trees, and ruffling of the leaves.

It is so relaxing especially when the warm afternoon air caresses her cheeks. Shortly, echoes from the past will follow.

Her mother the great Emperor is always fond of her. She remembers the days when Seulgi will pat her head and let her follow around the military camp. At the age of fourteen, she became part of the planning squadron and a year after she experienced fighting on the field. General Choi Siwon, a great general; unforgiving and firm on fighting against rebels and enemies, but when it comes to Chaeyeon he turns into a father figure. He helped her in her personal training a lot then.

 

Her life there is very 'fertile' back in the Kingdom, but the stares of ridicule given to her by her siblings and nobles from other parts of the empire made her not want to be really part of those things. In fact, she never felt welcome.

She was trying her best to be a kind unnie to her little brothers but they always see her as a stranger.

She has her own quarters in the palace and served food in a different table, away from the family dining room.

 

Seulgi is clueless with all those treatment towards Chaeyeon because she is so preoccupied with handling the empire. On days Seulgi comes home all the family members go back in treating Chaeyeon normally, on normal days she was an outcast. She was unwanted by the people who she loves and wants acceptance from. All she wants are affection and she always looked for a way to make them happy or satisfied with the things she does, so when the siblings told her that she better be banished her heart broke into pieces. Although it hurt she saw it as the last opportunity to make her family satisfied, so she packed a loaf and water for her journey then left.

 

 

 

 

Chaeyeon kneels in her spot in the forest.

She regularly prays there.

Before, she prays to god how bitter life is. How she is hurting for being mocked because her mother by birth is a . But now things have changed. Now, she is praying to god how happy she is and how blessed she is. She can't imagine that a year past by and she is still staying at Eunbi's. She prayed and thank the heavens for giving her Eunbi. She smiled as she bowed low in the ground.

Eunbi enters her mind.

All the years she spent in the fertile land she found nothing, but when she walked around the Wilderness she found something more valuable than a trunk of gold: A woman beside a well. A  home.

 

A whole year together and Chaeyeon is now a member of Eunbi's family. Eunbi's adoptive father is now also calling her "My child."

 

 

When she is done with her prayer, Chaeyeon gets up from bowing, but to her surprise, she is met by a smiling Eunbi wearing her cute floral dress. Her eyes are sparkling.

"Hi Chae! Are you done with your prayer?" Eunbi said brightly.

What a beautiful sight Chaeyeon said in her mind. She was taken by surprise and cannot help to blush. "Umm, ah Eunbi! hehehe yes." She said with a goofy smile. The world has become more beautiful with her presence.

"Father told me to fetch you for lunch. Let's go now."

“Ok.”

 

The two maidens walked down the dirt path covered with dried leaves that give off a crispy sound when stepped on. They are on their way towards Eunbi’s father’s house. They marveled on the beautiful backdrop the trees provided on their way home. Sunlight passing through the foliage.

Chaeyeon cannot resist and grabs Eunbi’s swinging hand and does the swinging for her.

She looks at Eunbi to see her beautiful face.

There is no show of surprise or being startled from her actions. Nothing but a delighted tight-lip smile.

Chaeyeon is not a stranger anymore…well, not as much as before. Yet still, she is a mystery to Eunbbi.

 

For a whole year of being together, Eunbi has not learned much about Chaeyeon's life before she found her in that well. She only heard rumors and wants to pry more about this lovely person but whenever she tries to lead a conversation with her about it, Chaeyeon's demeanor will change and a heavy cloud can be seen forming above them, so she'll hold herself and give space for the person. At  least she knows that Chaeyeon is not a bad person and she is kind and funny.

 

"Funny? I only try to be funny for you," Chaeyeon said looking at Eunbi with her quirky smirk.

They are now in the

Please log in to read the full chapter