Four

Small Universes Around Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul University —— 2020

A few days had passed silently with barely any interaction with Taeyong and it was driving her insane.

She didn’t know his schedule and it felt strange to just ask him to hang out like she used to. It was hard to hold herself back and pretend that she didn’t know every little thing about him while also trying to find ways to grow closer to him to build a bond.

It felt like finding that balance was impossible. 

She never had to feel this strongly about him all while not knowing if he felt the same. In the past, she was blissfully unaware of anything until they both remembered. It was like she didn’t know how to be herself anymore. She was constantly worried that something she’d do or say would destroy any and all chances of him having feelings for her. 

How on earth did she do this when they first met?

Luckily she had her classes to keep her mostly busy. Running from lectures to group meetings, to study groups, and to the library left very little time for her to fixate on the fact that Taeyong hadn’t called her nor had she seen him once around campus.

And if she let herself dwell too much she would be reminded of the fact that he used to find excuses just to see her and now, it was likely that he forgot she even existed. She was probably a distant interaction that he barely thought of. She didn't want to bother Mark with her worries so she held them in, keeping them close to herself. 

She was pulled from her thoughts when her phone rang and found an unknown number staring at her. Holding her breath and answered it tentatively, "Hello?"

"Hey, is this Haeun?"

Shivers ran down her spine at Taeyong's voice. "Yeah, hey."

"Umm...I was wondering if you were free? I have an hour between classes and wanted to know any good places for coffee?" He asked, his voice hesitant. 

She bit down her smile and squeezed her eyes shut, "I know the perfect place."

-----

“Hey, where are you headed?”

Taeyong was putting on his shoes by the door of the frat when Jaehyun called out to him from the staircase. “To meet Haeun. She knows a good coffee shop on campus and then I think she’s going to show me around.”

Jaehyun blinked at him, “Haeun? Like from Korean History? I didn’t know you two knew each other.”

“We don’t, but she seems nice and offered. Is…is that bad? Is she weird or something?” He asked, concerned.

Jaehyun was quick to shake his head, “No, I think she’s cool. You two would get along really well.”

Taeyong fixed the hood of his sweater before giving him a strange look, “I mean, it’s just coffee.”

“Most people would call that a date.” Jaehyun teased.

He frowned, “No, that’s not what this is. She was just being nice.”

Jaehyun grinned, “Sure, sure, have fun, man. Tell her I say hi.”

Taeyong lingered by the open door before turning back to him, “Do you…have feelings for her or something?”

Jaehyun tilted his head, “Why would you ask?”

He shrugged, “I noticed her looking at you when I sat down. If you don’t like me hanging out with her alone, I ca—“

“Okay woah, you’re jumping way too ahead of yourself. I don’t have feelings for her but she’s a really good friend, not just to me but to a lot of the guys here. Just…don’t be a .”

Taeyong rolled his eyes, “It’s going to be hard but I’ll try my best.”

-----

She thought using the ribbon might be too obvious, so she chose to leave it at home and get dressed in something more casual but that she still put considerable effort into putting together.

Her hands were freezing despite how warm it was as she stood by the coffee shop she had told him to meet her by.

Oh but the way the cold evaporated and was replaced by a thrumming heat when she spotted Taeyong walking towards her, the breeze tousling his hair. 

“Hey, sorry I made you wait.”

It was a little torturous to still have him speak and look at her with the polite distance that comes with not knowing each other well. 

She shook her head, “Don’t worry, want to go inside?”

He nodded and she led them inside, chewing her lip nervously. The pressure was weighing on her as they stood in line together. 

“How’s your first week been like?” She asked as she looked over at him.

He was staring at the menu board when he answered, “Not too bad but I guess the start to any semester is like that. I’m not looking forward to midterms.”

“Oh god, I know. Last semester I spent so much time in that little corner over there, that the baristas started telling other customers that it was a reserved spot.” She blurted out. “They wouldn’t let anyone else sit there. I know I should’ve been flattered but it was so embarrassing.” 

He laughed, the sound warming her soul, “Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s going to be me this semester.”

“But you still found time to join NCT. That’s impressive they do a lot of stuff around campus.” She pointed out. 

Taeyong hummed, "I joined because of Jaehyun but the guys seem nice."

"Yeah, they're some of the greatest. Is Jaehyun the only person you know on campus?" She asked. 

He nodded, "Yeah, he's the one that convinced me to transfer here, actually." 

She felt heat flood through her veins, of course, his best friend, the prince, one of his constants, was the reason he was brought to the one place where she was.

"No girlfriend?" 

She bit down on her tongue, wishing she hadn't blurted the question, despite wanting to know the answer so badly.

He blinked on her, his brow twitching in what she hoped wasn't annoyance, "No, no girlfriend, no plans to have one either. Just want to get through this last semester and graduate. Also, there's no point in meeting someone when I'm only going to be here for a few months."

She flinched, the harshness in his words felt less like casual conversation and more like he was trying to make a point for her to pick up on. 

He had no plans of dating you.

"Um...so what's your family like?" She asked, trying to mask the shake in her voice. 

He looked away with a frown before shrugging, "Like any other family."

Silence fell over the two of them as she struggled to unclog and the tremble in her hands. Why did she keep poking at sensitive topics? She perpetually had her foot in around him. When they moved up in the line, Haeun walked up to the counter to order, “Hi, can I get one iced tea and one citron tea?”

“Oh.”

She froze when Taeyong spoke up behind her, “How did you know?”

“What?” She asked.

He stepped closer that even without touching her, she could feel his body heat, “That I drink citron tea?”

She panicked, she forgot that she wasn't supposed to know that,  “Oh, I don’t, it’s just their best drink.”

He seemed to buy the answer, taking the moment of distraction to slide a bill to the cashier. She flinched, "Oh, no I can pay."

"Don't worry about it. You can get the next one."

1889 —— Joseon Dynasty

“Are you absolutely sure, your Highness?”

“You’re a complete nuisance. Yes, I will be fine for a few hours while you run into town. And I swear to the heavens if you call me your Highness while we’re alone one more time, I’ll have you beheaded.” Jaehyun snarked as he sat in the guard quarters. 

Taeyong’s lips hitched, “Would you like me to pick you up anything?”

“Nothing comes to mind. Anyways, if you run my errands for me then I’ll have no reason to go into town myself.” Jaehyun said.

Taeyong shook his head with a laugh while hanging up his sword and pulling off his guard robes. 

Jaehyun watched Taeyong carefully, noting how thoughtfully he tied his civilian robes, “You’re going to go see her, aren’t you?”

“I just need to buy more citron tea.” Taeyong said without missing a beat.

Jaehyun clicked his tongue disapprovingly, “Is it so hard to admit that you want to see her?”

“To you? Yes.” Taeyong quipped, stepping out.

“It’s nice, seeing you care about something else for once.”

Taeyong watched Jaehyun’s smile waver and felt sadness wash over him. The deal the King and Queen made with Jaehyun to allow him to pick his own bride sounded fair on the outside, but the reality wasn’t as simple. Taeyong knew as much. 

At the end of the day, he’d still have to pick a bride that was fit to be a Queen and accepted by the people. 

Which made it that much harder on Jaehyun to follow his heart.

“Things are going to work out, Jaehyun. I have been your friend for far too long to believe otherwise.”

Jaehyun’s smile regained some of it genuineness, “Your optimism is inspiring.”

“I’ll always protect you, never forget that…your Highness.”

“Oh, someone bring me my sword, I have a head to dismember.” 

-----

“You really should be helping.” Mark muttered.

He was standing in the kitchen, wiping his brow as he kneaded a bowl of dough. He glanced down by his feet where Haeun was laying, holding a book over her head. She flipped a page before peering up at him.

“You seem to be doing just fine on your own.” 

He rolled his eyes, nudging her hip, before her mother ran in, “Where’s Haeun?”

“Warming my feet for me.” Mark grumbled.

Her mother rounded the counter, the panic on her face drawing Haeun’s attention, “What’s wrong?”

“We’re all out of dried persimmons and the lunch customers are going to be in soon. I need you to run to the market and buy a pound.” Her mother asked while holding out coins.

Haeun pouted before sitting up and taking them from her, “Can’t Mark go?”

“No. He’s the only one of you two doing actual work right now.” Her mother said, giving her a firm pinch on the cheek. 

Mark stuck his tongue out at her as she stood, grabbing a basket and her warm robes. 

“You’re going to regret that.” She grumbled.

Mark snorted, “I doubt it.”

“Oh yeah? Maybe next time don’t forget to add yeast to the dough before trying to bake it.”

Haeun scurried out of the shop with a laugh when she heard Mark groaning and cursing at the realization of his mistake. 

-----

One of the perks of being her father’s daughter was that everyone in town liked him and because of that, she was constantly handed free treats from the stalls in the market.

“Oh, no! I couldn’t possibly.” She said coyly as a woman at a fruit stand held out a slice of golden pear for her to taste.

The woman waved her off, “Don’t be ridiculous. Your father mentioned wanting to make something at the bakery with pears. These are our sweetest.”

Haeun took the slice from her, grinning, before taking a bite. She gasped, savory the crispness as the woman hurried to pack a small bag full of them. “Here, give these to your father. If he likes how it turns out, make sure he comes to my shop to buy them.”

Haeun took the bag and tucked it in her basket before reaching for the pouch with the coins, but the woman stopped her. “Don’t worry, I’ll make him pay an arm and leg when he buys a batch later.”

Haeun smiled with a bow before bidding her farewell, heading over to the next stall. She was eating too many sweets, some radish kimchi would be really good right about now. Strolling around the market she kept her eyes peeled for something salty when she caught sight of a stand with the dried persimmons her mother wanted.

“Good evening ma’am, can I get a pound of the dried persimmons?” 

The woman nodded and began bagging them for her. She paid and raced over to the kimchi stall, -watering at all the options before using the change to buy a small portion. She was shoveling the contents into when she heard a familiar voice behind her.

“I was going to offer to buy you something but you seem to have it under control.” 

Haeun choked, the tart sting of pepper paste burning her nose as she turned to stare at Taeyong who was smiling behind her. She coughed when she felt the food go down the wrong way and slapped her palm against her chest. 

His smile quickly morphed into concern as he moved closer, gently touching her shoulder, “Are you alright? Let me go get you some water.”

He moved to leave but she quickly grabbed his hand as her coughing subsided. She didn’t want him to move away, even if he was going to come back. “I’m fine. Just a bit startled. What are you doing in town?”

She took the pause to take in his appearance when he stepped closer to her. She didn’t think he could make the simplest robes look like it was made from the most expensive fabrics. She dug her teeth into her bottom lip, as her eyes trailed down his chest, remembering what it was like to see the bare skin under it. He was so handsome and lacked the ego that many of the handsome townsmen who thought the world should fall at their feet had.

Lost in her thoughts she hadn’t noticed that Taeyong stopped talking and was just staring at her, his lips slightly parted in awe. 

Oh no. 

Could he tell she was daydreaming about him while he was standing right there? 

She quickly shook her head as if it’d erase her thoughts, “Sorry, I was a bit dazed. What were you saying?”

It almost looked like he was disappointed when he smiled, “I was picking up some citron tea. I had finished the last of it. Running errands for your parents?” 

“And eating.” She joked. 

He chuckled and the two of them started walking in time with each other, “If you’re in the mood to eat, there’s this stew stall that you have to have at least once in your life.”

Her eyes lit up, “Take me.”

Grinning, he boldly took her hand, leading her to a small stall owned by an elderly woman. He began to order, not realizing he was still holding her hand, so she looked at their grip, her blush growing. His hands were larger than her but his fingers were slim but sent a shiver of warmth through her spine. 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.” Taeyong said when he noticed her looking at their hands.

He let go just as she blurted out a loud, “No!”

He blinked and she squeezed her eyes shut, cursing herself. Too bad she couldn’t see the completely enamored smile that curved his lips as he watched her. There was something so honest in her that he was willing to move entire universes to give her what she wanted. She opened her eyes when the woman handed them two small bowls. 

Hoping to distract herself, she took a bite, her eyes widening at the taste; the perfect balance of flavors, “This is incredible. Do you come here, often?”

“Not as often as I’d like, but when we were young and the public didn’t know what the prince looked like, my father used to bring the two of us here.” He said, taking a bite, “Taste hasn’t changed for 10 years.”

She took a sip of the soup, “Does it remind you of him?”

“It does. He was so busy that I don’t have a lot of things to remember him by.” He said quietly. 

She gnawed on her lip, she wondered if that was why her parents made such a fuss about her inheriting the bakeshop. It wasn’t because they trusted her more than Mark, because she knew that wasn’t true. 

Maybe they just wanted to give her something to remember them by.

And all she did was shirk responsibility and complain about not wanting to take care of it.

“Have I made you sad?”

She snapped out of her daze and looked over at Taeyong. She wanted to tell him everything she was feeling, she bet he’d know exactly what to say. Instead, she kept her words simple, “I guess you’re making me realize what I’ve been taking for granted all this time.”

He didn’t rush to apologize or change the subject but took his time to think about what she had said before replying, “If this is about the bakery, try not to let it take up too much of worries.”

She emptied her dish and didn’t notice him setting down coins to pay for them both. She just followed him as he stood to leave, “What do you mean?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter