The hitch in the road

Choices
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghyuck woke up to the rays of the sun falling on his face making him squint and bring a hand up to his eyes to shield them. He tried to shift in his position keeping his eyes shut not ready to wake up yet when he felt something weigh him down. He looked to his right to see Mark’s head lying on his chest, one hand hugging his waist while the other was intertwined with Donghyuck’s. He found himself not being able to tear his eyes away from Mark’s face that was being illuminated by the morning sun. He truly looked ethereal in that very moment, peacefully cuddling into Donghyuck’s side. Donghyuck picked up his other hand to brush away a strand of hair falling on his eyes, admiring the little grunts that escaped Mark’s mouth when he felt his cold fingers on his face.

 

“Good morning” Donghyuck said seeing Mark’s eyes crinkle because of the excess amount of light in the room.

 

“Good morning” Mark replied planting his face in the crook of Donghyuck’s neck, his voice still hoarse from having just woken up.

 

They must have fallen asleep while Donghyuck was trying to comfort him last night. The rational side of him wanted to tell Mark to leave now that he wasn’t a crying mess anymore. While the other side of him wanted to stay cuddled up with the older, who currently had his hand right on top of Donghyuck’s heart feeling its steady rhythm under his fingers. Donghyuck looked down towards Mark to find him looking back at him. Donghyuck gently placed his hand on Mark’s cheek pulling him closer to say something when the loud sound of his alarm intercepted the moment.

 

Donghyuck reached over to get his phone from the nightstand to stop the blaring of the annoying tune, finally coming to the realization that it was no longer a Sunday. Mark sat up on the bed rubbing his eyes with one hand, the other still holding Donghyuck’s. Both their palms were sweaty now because of the sudden heat brought in by the morning, yet Mark didn’t want to do away with his only source of comfort. He held on tighter to Donghyuck’s hand, bringing it up to his face to leave a small kiss on it before looking up to see the red spreading over Donghyuck’s face.

 

“We should probably start getting ready, for school.” Donghyuck muttered softly, making circles on the back of Mark’s hand with his index finger. He kept his eyes fixed on their hands suddenly feeling shy because of Mark’s gaze on him.

 

“I should get going then” Mark finally said after a minute, letting go of his hand and standing up from the bed.

 

“Yeah, I guess you should.” Donghyuck said following him suddenly missing the warmth of Mark’s hand.

 

Mark knew that if he didn’t leave right that moment he would never make it him in time to get dressed and ready for school yet he couldn’t help but want to crawl back into bed and stay there all day. He gave a little wave before making his way towards the bedroom door.

 

“We’re okay, right?” Mark asked his hand on the doorknob, turning his head to look back at him.

 

Donghyuck simply nodded afraid to say something that he may regret. Mark grinned his smile reaching all the way up to his eyes before opening the door and making a beeline for the front door not wanting to indulge in small talk with Donghyuck’s parents, thankfully none of them had come downstairs yet.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter