La Vie En Rose

The Opposite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚𝐿𝒶 𝒱𝒾𝑒 𝐸𝓃 𝑅𝑜𝓈𝑒˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙**·̩̩̥͙

 

 

The girls are all gathered in the practice room, practicing their debut song for the 10th time this day. Because this is their debut song, they wanted to give everything they got and make it as perfect as possible. With that in mind, they have been practicing almost every day, barely having time to go out. Everyone feels the same; they want it to be the best debut.

 

 

But amongst the jitters and excitement, a certain member is still struggling to adjust to the routine.

 

 

Kang Hyewon is sitting down on the floor, sipping on her water bottle, watching the rest of the girls continue the practice. Because she is not used to the rigorous process, her body could not keep up, and she would need to rest every time they finish the song once or at most twice if she's lucky.

 

 

Here body reactions, clearly show how hard the choreography is, entirely on another level with what they were presenting in the show. Plus, this will be the first song that will define them as a group. It will determine whether they become successful or not. Since a lot is riding on how they present it, they can't afford to be mediocre and should give their utmost best.

 

 

But, Hyewon is still having a hard time. Even though she wants to keep up, her body just does not listens, and she is forced to take a breather more often than the others. As she was resting, her eyes are focused on the group in the middle, comprising of Sakura, Nako, Hitomi, Eunbi, Minju, and Chaeyeon, who are still practicing. Hyewon is amazed that they can still go on after dancing for almost 4 hours now. She sadly laments, experience and training can really go far.

 

 

To a bystander's view, it may look like she's staring at the group as a whole, but Hyewon's gaze is focused explicitly on only one, and that member is teaching the others, correcting errors, explaining and showing the choreography, looking like she didn't just dance for many hours. Hyewon's eyes have been following her, watching her every move, and feeling her stomach churn as she continues to do so. This has been a regular phenomenon whenever she as so as much catches a glimpse of the girl.

 

 

And the problem is that she can't help it.

 

 

"Unnie, she'll melt if you continue glaring at her."

 

 

Hyewon turns to her side to see Yujin smirking at her as the younger sits down to her left. When did she get here? Was I really staring too much? Amongst the members, Yujin is the only one who somehow knows or an inkling about her particular 'dislike' of Chaeyeon.

 

 

The younger had accidentally caught Hyewon one day when she saw her rolling her eyes as soon as Chaeyeon turns her back after the dancer had kindly asked her if she needed any help with the choreography. She was too focused on Chaeyeon's retreating back that she did not notice Yujin was looking her way.

 

 

Yujin was looking at her curiously, waiting for an explanation. Hyewon knows it was futile to deny, she got caught. So, she eventually did not have any choice but to enlighten the girl. She explained that she didn't really hate Chaeyeon, but she just didn't explicitly like her either. It isn't very clear to Yujin, especially for a girl her age who usually likes everybody friendly to her to comprehend. And it doesn't surprise Hyewon that it took Yujin awhile to accept it, but she nonetheless does. After all, it's not like the girl can do anything about it. Since it's Hyewon's choice, it's what she feels.

 

 

"I still don't understand why you feel that way about Chaeyeon unnie," Yujin asks as she settled down, stretching her legs, reaching out to take Hyewon's water bottle.

 

 

"Yah!" Hyewon complains but conceded. She can't really explain it, too. It's not like she does not think Chaeyeon deserves to be here. She just can't shake it away for some reason.

 

 

Hyewon sighs, "I don't understand myself too. It's just the way things are."

 

 

Yujin watches her, trying to see Hyewon's point of view, but she just can't. She absolutely adores her Chaeyeon unnie, and it still baffles her that Hyewon would feel the opposite, "Well, just don't let it show too much. When we debut, a lot of eyes will be on us, and it will only be a matter of time before people start to notice."

 

 

Hyewon rolls her eyes—leave it to Yujin; although young in age, her mind is very mature, she takes into consideration the reputation of the group. This just goes to show the differences in their training. "Don't worry. All I have to do is just keep my face expressionless, and it'll be fine."

 

 

And Yujin wanted to believe that. For the sake of the group, she wanted to believe that. After all, they only have two and a half years together, and she'd rather spend it with more happy memories.

 

--

 

The girls continued to practice daily, perfecting the choreography until they are just a few more weeks before their supposed debut. They were gathered at the practice room as usual when their manager comes in and asks them to stop in the meantime.

 

 

The manager then began to explain that the company suggested shooting a short reality show as their first schedule before they officially debut as a group. Citing it as somehow an introduction of the members so that people could see them as normal girls before they become stars. It seems like it's what the netizens like to see these days, seeing the idol's raw side.

 

 

All the girls nod in agreement; they actually like the idea since any promotion is a promotion. If this helps them to be known, then they'll do their best.

 

 

And, that's what they did. After airing the three episodes, there was only one more episode left before they finally debut. And all throughout those episodes, Hyewon successfully avoided any close interaction with Chaeyeon. But of course, it did not happen without much effort since being in the same group gives you only so few opportunities.

 

 

There were a lot of times where she didn't have a choice. Like when she was the last one to get in the van, and the only vacant seat is the one beside Chaeyeon. How can she avoid it without being too obvious?

 

 

Thank goodness for Yujin, who gave her the escape.

 

 

"Unnie! Come sit with me!" Yujin calls her from her seat beside Yena.

 

 

Yena unsurprisingly whips her head towards Yujin in disbelief. "Yah!"

 

 

The younger grins wide at her, showing her dimples as she does so. Yena shakes her head but relinquishes her seat and took the one beside Chaeyeon instead.

 

 

When Hyewon sat down at Yena's previous place, she was about to thank the girl, but Yujin interrupts her before she could. "I still don't get it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to help."

 

 

Hyewon felt guilty at Yujin's words. She knows the girl feels like she's in between her two unnies, but Hyewon can't help it and could only feel sorry. What she does not see as she wallows in her rueful self was the lone glance her way, from a girl two rows ahead.

 

--

 

The girls are at the dorm recording for the last episode of Iz*one Chu.

 

 

In this episode, they are all tasked to visit the people that they are thankful for. They were all separated into groups deciding to make homemade lunch boxes. Hyewon is especially relieved to not be on the same group as Chaeyeon; she does not think she could control her expression with lesser of the members around. Plus, their group is assigned to go to Bae Yoonjung saem, who still scares Hyewon a little to this day.

 

 

Herself, Yuri, Hitomi, and Nako are tasked to give their lunchbox to one of the PDs at Mnet. After gifting the first one to their two mentors, Hongki saem and Soyou saem, who she is truly grateful for, Hyewon will have to admit that she does not really remember the guy they are about to go to. They are only doing what the producer had told them, so she has no particular emotion of gratefulness towards him. She doesn't even know his name.

 

 

They finally locate him sitting in a cubicle after searching around the office for quite a few minutes. Because Hyewon is not accustomed to things like these, much less be on TV with her only notable experience was being on Produce 48, she immediately becomes mute, hands awkwardly rigid on her side. Although, maybe because they are used to her quietness, the members and staff didn't question her lack of words and let Yuri do the talking. It was understandable for the other two to be quiet because they are still learning the language, but they still try to say a few words every now and then. Hyewon on the other hand has no excuse aside from being indifferent about it, which surprisingly what netizens want from her.

 

 

At one point, Yuri had asked who the PD liked in the show; after all, he did see them almost every day for three months. The PD took a moment to think about it, but Hyewon knew he already knows the answer as soon as the question was out there. To be honest, she wasn't surprised that he picked Chaeyeon, not because it was the impression he was giving, but because they are the same— Chaeyeon was her one pick too.

 

 

She unknowingly smiles to herself, hearing it. And maybe, that was the only thing Hyewon was grateful to him for. Not that she'd admit it.

 

--

 

Later that evening, they were all back at the dorms after watching the premiere of the first episode of Iz*one chu with the fans. Since there are 12 members, they are separated into two apartments. Luck must have been right on Hyewon's side all this time since not only did she not become part of the same group earlier, but she does not share the same apartment as Chaeyeon as well. She does not know what would happen if they were in the same apartment or even a room. Hyewon could still remember how nervous she was when they did the picking, trying so hard to ignore Yujin's smirk when she found herself letting out a sigh of relief.

 

 

She is currently in the kitchen looking for something to munch on, when Yena suddenly shrieks, something about a shirt, and a letter. Apparently, Sakura did this behind their backs. She was too focused on hoping not to get paired with Chaeyeon that she hardly ever notices the rest.

 

 

In contrast to her and Chaeyeon, Hyewon has been noticeably closer to Sakura. Maybe, partly because they were on the same team once, but also because they seem to be on the same wavelength, with both of them struggling with singing and dancing or how they seem to keep to themselves more. But then again, maybe there is something different, the complete opposite, they are different in regard to their relationship with one girl.

 

 

Their leader Eunbi unnie, suggested they gather at the other dorm to thank Sakura, wearing the shirt as a sign of appreciation. Hyewon felt panicky for a second, she just saw the girl earlier, and now she's going to see her again? She had wanted to finally rest and shred the facade but now, she has no choice but to put on the mask back.

 

 

As soon as they got inside, it doesn't take long for Hyewon to see how the two remained close as ever, if not more. Being perceptive in everything Chaeyeon does, Hyewon saw the nuances of their growing friendship. Like, noting how Chaeyeon seemed to have been the last to read her letter, seeing how Sakura about crying, the members teasing them, she could see how their bond has developed now that they can debut together.

 

 

However, Hyewon felt the reverse, because seeing them together sparks something inside, a bad feeling starts developing; it's boiling up and doesn't seem to stop anytime soon. She does not even remember what happened after, completely blinded by her contempt that she lays on her bed, staring at the ceiling well into the night mind full of thoughts about things she could not have.

 

 

Hyewon honestly thought she could keep it at bay, this growing animosity towards the girl, but every time she sees the two acts like nothing's wrong, it felt irritating, as if to rub on Hyewon's face how they have each other while Hyewon is alone. She couldn't help but think of ways how to prevent that from happening.

 

 

Her mind works, thinking of ideas for her new mission. As she sits at the end of the table at the restaurant where they are currently celebrating their first music show win, looking at how Chaeyeon's unfading smile as she becomes the angel that they have come to know, taking care of not only Sakura but the rest as well, and apparently Hyewon too.

 

 

"Hyewon, ah, here's your drink." Hyewon wakes up from her reverie only to lock eyes with Chaeyeon, who was suddenly beside her, wearing this blinding smile as she hands Hyewon her drink. After she receives it without a word, Chaeyeon goes back to her seat beside Sakura, helping the girl wipe at her face. She watches as Chaeyeon's smile widens as Sakura merely offers her face without any resistance. That display enrages Hyewon to her core.

 

 

And that is how she decided on what to do. If she can't have Chowon with her, then Chaeyeon can't have Sakura too. It seems petty, but so what? It was the only thing she could think of aside from literally telling Chaeyeon face to face. So that's what she did, taking almost all the time from the girl—taking advantage of their love for games to make Chaeyeon feel out of place.

 

 

When she knows that the two would go out, she will invite herself to tag along. When she sees them walking side by side, she will come in between them, clinging to Sakura. She does not mind that both seemed to notice it, Hyewon wasn't hiding it anyway. Sakura, in particular, is more vocal about it, though.

 

 

When they were shooting for a photoshoot, Hyewon stuck to Sakura like glue, making Chaeyeon stand awkwardly by the door after she comes back from doing her part. She was not able to approach due to the wall that Hyewon purposely placed between them.

 

 

"It's your turn, Yena yah," Chaeyeon instead turns towards Yena, who was busy playing with Yuri at the snack table.

 

 

After Yena had left, Chaeyeon turns to them again, and this time their eyes connect. Hyewon felt her heart jump, surprised, but she quickly regains her composure, turning towards Sakura, who was busy playing on her switch.

 

 

"How's the game so far?" she asks voice raising a little, she can't help it, she was caught off guard.

 

 

Sakura only spares a glance, "You really like to cling to me, huh, Kang chan?" says Sakura beside her, as she looks down at the girl latching on her arm, "You're kind of like a cat."

 

 

Hyewon snuggles further, "So, is it Maru-chan or me then?" she did not mean anything with the question, it was just playful banter, but when she chances a glance towards Chaeyeon again, the look on her face seemed to say that she took it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter