Rec & Review Zone #1 · Irisdescence

✎ TheSinfulPen's Help & Review Shop!

Rec & Review Zone


HELLO! Welcome to the Review Zone, the first one in fact. I will review and recommend, yes indeed. A quick reminder: In this zone we only have constructive criticism and I will NOT stand for slander towards anyone. In the comments you can give your support, share your experience if you’ve read this fic already -- though I would rather you guys comment on their fics rather than mine -- and what YOU think about my review. Everything goes, but I will not stand rudeness.


We got that?


Good! Because today we’re reviewing a personal favorite!


 

IRIDESCENCE
(or the perpetuity of triumphant failures in life)
 

AUTHOR: xyz_exol
STATUS: Incomplete.
LENGTH: 11492 words (as of 20/7/20)
TAGS: Seulrene, otherwise tagless.

 

I don’t use the word ‘stunning’ too often, except when I’m talking about you (you cuties), but I think the Xyz’s visuals and vocabulary is nothing short of fantastically stunning. Everything about it is fascinating to read for me, like a mental exercise for my own creativity. In the very beginning of chapter one we get that beautiful prose with words that one might have to search on the dictionary and usually I would be a bit wary about that. People tend to use super verbose ways to describe things, which truncates the pacing (even I’m guilty of that), but Xyz manages to keep the flow nice and smooth but also spicy. Descriptions don’t drag on for long, they are just the right amount (but that’s subjected to everyone’s different taste of course) and it’s just… cozy? Talk about vocabulary and me lacking the words to describe it.
 

Siri, how to explain to my mom that I am in love with a prose--.
 

I’m also content to see proper use of punctuation, all nicely written and nicely presented and it’s not that I’m picky with it anyways, I just like to see it. The consistency of the tense is also worth noting, as many of us tend to struggle keeping it consistent -- to me it shows that the author pays attention to it. Yes, this is lowkey a read to myself. Back to the story, I find the narration voice (if that makes sense) in itself is so elegant that it felt like watching an intellectual speak for hours, telling me a story. God do I love that, couldn’t keep my eyes away for long. That’s saying a lot, considering my attention span is tantamount to the strength of a leaf and I cannot concentrate further, especially when reading a work that isn’t mine but I was pleasantly surprised that I was following along pretty smoothly. I finished up my reading in a timely fashion and I had a lot of fun reading!
 

I like the way the characters behave, the way they talk, the way they relate, and I overall find it a very enjoyable experience. The narrative posed with characters I want to get to know more of makes for an explosive read. I would go on about the characters and their progress, the way the story starts to unfold and the sorts, but I would not do it justice considering the work is… unfinished. 
 

Yeah, it’s incomplete as far as the eyes can see but quite frankly it bothers me none. However, I can see why some people would be a bit disappointed but you guys have to understand that authors (of fanfics mostly) sometimes just… don’t have it in them and that’s more than common. I do hope the author is alright, and I also hope that at least you get to enjoy this work despite it not being finished. We all crave thematic and emotional resolution folks, but sometimes an unfinished work can speak volumes. 
 

So, just go check it out. Give it an upvote, show some love!

 

* I have been given consent by the very author to write this review, though delayed due to endless circumstances in life, lmao. Don’t think I’ve forgotten you authornim, and I’m sorry I’m late. You're amazing <3.