2/3

Something real
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I checked my watch and found that there is still 30 minutes left before the class ends.

 

I rubbed my tired eyes with the insides of my palms, my eyes kind of dry from staring at the lecture board the professor was scribbling down and rambling on about.

 

I can't wait to relax after this hectic week. I didn't get the chance to properly do it because of the midterm exam and now that the final exam is near, I want to have some time to chill with my friends before diving in the books again.

 

I peered at Joohyun who was sitting beside me, she was writing down mindlessly on her pad paper not listening either.

 

After a few minutes of unconscious gazing, our eyes met. I blushed and looked away, shy after getting caught staring.

 

Though I made many friends, my friendship with them took time and mutual understanding to grow. However, with Joohyun, it started all of a sudden. We found that we had pretty much the same common interests and passion for dance. And we would eat lunch together at school and get to know each other.

 

She's very attentive, fun but courteous. 

 

Joohyun will give me good advice whenever I would encounter some problem but we haven't passed the point where she would be telling more about her struggles.

 

She wasn't really the talkative type which I can understand why some people might find her cold and controlled but I didn't mind because not everyone is comfortable right away, they need time and I respect that.

 

If anything, there is this special calmness about her that I enjoyed very much.

 

But it does make me wonder how Seungwan managed to break her rigid and reserved self.

Despite her tough exterior, I assume that each of us looks for a partner who makes us feel secure, with whom to share our worries. And Seungwan might fit the standards. Her charm is in that tender and soft quality and her genuine kindness made Joohyun trust her and meet her with an open heart.

 

I happened to glimpse at the gorgeous woman once again, my head full of thoughts.

 

It must be hard for them...

 

To love someone who lives on the other side of the world. 

 

It might be even tough for the Bae since I observed that her sense of touch is especially sensitive.

I'm kind of awkward with physical contact but it seems like Joohyun likes to link arms. She laughed at me last time when she saw my face being so stiff but hey trust me nobody would ever survive to be this close to her.

Seungwan is the true warrior here.

And I don't want to imagine what she'd crave from Wendy.

 

I massaged my temples in embarrassment for letting these kinds of thoughts enter my mind.

 

“Joohyun-ssi?” The teacher's voice pierced my reverie and I glanced at the girl in question who didn't seem to have heard anything as she was looking outside the window fiddling with her pen

 

The old man sighed and called out her name again but no vain. My face settled for a grimace when I spot the teacher's impatience, I softly poked her arm and she flinched albeit that got her attention.

 

"Having a lot in mind?”

 

"S-sorry.”

 

"I know it's not in your habit so I'd let it pass. But focus from now on please.”

 

She nodded and the man continued his lesson. She repetitively tapped her fingers on her desk looking slightly nervous about something and that made me perplexed.

 

"Hey, are you ok?” I asked and for a fraction of a second, I swear I saw the corners of twitch downwards but her conscious mind appears to assert control and ger face contorted into a smile.

 

It was definitely a fake one.

 

(…)

 

As like every Friday, I would come to have dinner in Joohyun's house and afterwards, I would play video games with her sister. It was like our ritual.

 

Yeri is the complete opposite of her sister, she's a child who talks way too much and has a wicked sense of humor as I was the victim of many of her pranks. But it wasn't harmful or anything, she's just playful and I know she has a good heart.

 

With all the diners hangout we had, this one was the tensest one. Nobody was talking and the air was rather gloomy. I attempted to throw a few jokes around but it felt like it was out of the place.

 

Their silence and secrecy worried me, and I wondered if something had happened between the two sisters. After sitting and eating the meal for painful minutes, Yeri decided to break in.

 

"Can you stop being so grumpy? We have a guest here!” 

 

"Yah, watch your tone with me. I'm older than you.” Joohyun's voice was far from an angry one but more like a reprimanding one

 

"Don't bring down the mood because you had some problems in your relationship, Seulgi doesn't deserve this.”

 

I shivered in panic inwardly when I spot a burning animosity developing in Yeri's eyes as she pressed her lips in a thin line.

 

What the hell is going on?

 

"If you can't bear the distance why don't you just break up with her and spare us your moody self”


Joohyun has withdrawn in a sullen hush and kept eating. I gulped nervously when I didn't know what to do to ease the tension. 

 

"You only see her on holidays and at every goodbye, you had that sad look on your face, it pisses me off!”

 

Joohyun still didn't reply, she wiped her mouth with a napkin, her eyes flickered with something close to uneasiness. 

 

"Damn say something!”

 

I bit my tongue until I regained a little bit of calm and managed to say. "Calm down, Yeri...”

 

"Whatever...thanks for the food. I'm going to play video games.” Yeri took her plate then put it in the sink before heading towards the living room.

 

Joohyun started to clean the table, her face is still vivid of any emotions and my worries pent up because even though she seemed indifferent about it I was sure she was not passive about the situation either.

 

"Joohyun...”

 

"I'm fine, don't worry.” She cut me off brutally as she sensed my pity.

 

"Let me help you.” I stood up intending to help her with the dishes

 

"Don't." She hurried on. "You're a guest here. Just go play video games with her”

 

"O-okay...”

 

I accepted since maybe Joohyun wanted to stay alone for a while after the altercation.

 

So I joined Yerim who was on the sofa, her eyes were glazed at the TV playing a random zombies game.

 

"Mind if I join?” I asked and took a seat beside her before grabbing a controller.

 

"Suit yourself.”

 

We selected the 2 players mode and started to play.

 

"That was not really nice what you said back then, you know.”

 

"Seulgi. Long-distance relationships never work out.” Yeri says quietly, a certain menace and finality somewhere in her voice.

 

I studied her with concentration because Yeri was not known to be so pessimistic and as far as I'm concerned, she doesn't seem to dislike Seungwan.  

 

Noting my silence, she looked at me for a moment before her eyes shifted to the screen again. "It's not that I don't like her” She sighs. "She annoys me.”

 

"Seungwan is a nice girl.”

 

Yeri suddenly stopped the game and turned her head hastily towards me, I nearly peed in my pants because of those piercing eyes. "Yeah, a nice girl who hurts my sister.”

 

I blinked furiously at the harsh tone given. Regaining control and telling myself that I can be scared of some 15 old years girl, I tried to respond calmly with the attempt to not stutter but failed miserably. “w-we don't know what exactly happened.”

 

"Why are you defending her?!”

 

I closed my eyes for a moment and squealed in terror.

 

Can she stop looking like she wants to snap my neck?

 

But Yeri was not being objective and somehow I can’t let people making assumptions like that about Seungwan. 

 

I gulped and retorted timidly. "You talk like Joohyun is the only one suffering. We don't know how Seungwan might felt about this too.”

 

She let out a sound, half a scoff, half a snort and gave me a look. "Believe me, the amount of bad days that Seungwan unnie has gone through is nothing compared to Joohyun's.”

 

A frown crossed on my face as soon she said this. Why does this kid act like she's their love counselor for years?

 

"What makes you so sure about it?”

 

 "Seungwan broke up with her once"

 

I found myself dumbfounded as my eyes grew wide by this sudden information. "What?!”

 

"She didn't believe in their relationship but Joohyun never gave up on her.”

 

I sat there, eyes filled with confusion. What astounds me the most is how come I didn't see anything. How come Joohyun hides her feelings so well that I didn't notice anything.

 

I had to breathe in deeply, to try and gather my thoughts. "How do you even know that?"

 

"It was three months after they decided to make it official.” She cleared and gestured me to come closer like she was going to spill some tea or maybe she didn't want Joohyun to hear anything.

 

“I was alone at home chilling, surfing on the internet trying to find all the cute videos about my favorite singer Taeyeon which by the way, is a pretty talented person who sings like an angel and-”

 

I cut her ramblings off before she gets carried away. "TMI.”

 

We looked at each other for a moment, and then Yeri let out a sigh of what sounded like frustration. "Anyway my mind suddenly stir to Joohyun because I noticed that she was feeling kind of weird these past days. She tried to pretend everything was rainbows and all but I-” She took a weird pose, putting her hand on her chest with a smug smile. "Bae Yerim can read people's feelings really well. I knew something must have happened with Seungwan...and shortly I got curious. It was definitely NOT-” She put one finger in front of my face condensing her next fact. “-because I was worried about her of course!”

 

I smiled awkwardly, that girl has some crazy weird antics.

 

"So when she was taking a shower, I went to her bedroom and searched for her phone to see their last exchanged messages.”

 

"You did WHAT?”

 

Yeri panicked, her arms doing some crazy acrobatic movements telling me to tone it as she looked around, mortified if Joohyun learned the confession she just made.

 

A tingling feeling crept over me and a smile grew on my face seeing the young girl this distressed.

 

She glared at me and continued." Moving on...that grandma isn't clever with gadgets, she didn't set a password so I was lucky I guess. But when I couldn't hear the water pouring down anymore I was scared that she's going to bust me so my genius mind told me to take some photos quick and read it peacefully in my room. And that's what I did.”

 

And note that she said that with a proud smile all over the face. My disturbed face says it all about how I feel about this.

 

"You're a mischievous child...this is a pure invasion of privacy!”

 

She let out a loud scoff and flipped her ponytail over her shoulder. "Tch who are you the FBI?” She takes out her phone and starts tapping. "I didn't have the choice, that girl is not the type of being sensitive, I know she doesn't like to show it.”

 

I nodded, for once I agree with what this devil said. Joohyun sometimes reminds me of a tsundere character when it comes to expressing her feelings. She shows her affection more by actions than words. 

 

But it's not like she have to say anything anyway... everything she felt for Seungwan was written all over her face.

 

Yeri shows me some pictures of what I assume to be their conversation. "Want to see?”

 

I turned my head away in a flash, not really want to look like at it, it felt like a crime. "N--no.”

 

She hummed impishly. "You sure? Let me tell you, in here...Joohyun's messages are quite interesting.”

 

I glanced hesitantly at the phone and I saw long bubble messages that were sent by Joohyun.

 

.

 

Well, just a look it's not bad...I’m just looking out after my friend...right?

 

"Okay.”

 

She cackled like a witch when I gave in. "You're easy to convince.”

 

“I-I 'm just really curious.”

 

“Yeah yeah, whatever you say.”

 

I took the phone carefully and started to read the messages.

 

 

Joohyun (8.47 pm)

We both know it was never going to be easy.

 

 

Seungwan (8.48 pm)

We already talked about this.

 

 

 Joohyun (8.48 pm)

Well, I think I deserve a better explanation.

 

 

Seungwan (8.50 pm)

It's just I couldn’t bear the thought of you feeling alone... It’s hard that I can not be there for you when you probably want me to. You deserve more, Joohyun. You deserve something permanent and beautiful and it's not something I can give.

 

 

Joohyun (8.51 pm)

So you think you're not good not enough for me?

 

Seungwan (8.52 pm)

I just want the best for you.

 

 

Joohyun (8.53 pm)

So now you can guess what's best for me?

What are you, a soothsayer?

 

 

Seungwan (8.54 pm)

I understand why you're mad but I thought about this a lot.

I'm just at the lowest point of myself right now and I just don't want you to suffer from it.

And hurting you is the last thing I want to do.

 

 

 Joohyun (8.55 pm)

Is the last thing that you want? Really?

 

Seungwan (8.57 pm)

Yes.

 

 

 Joohyun (9.00 pm)

You know for someone so kind-hearted you can be so heartless.

like what the hell?

saying that I would be happy because it would give me the chance to pursue someone better and on my level and you just had to leave before I realized that?

and now you’re telling me you’re not good enough for me?

 

 

 

Seungwan (9.01 pm)

But it's the truth!

 

 

 Joohyun (9.10 pm)

So what? you're really breaking up with me?

 

Seungwan (9.11 pm)

I'm not... It's just a break? I need it to reflect on myself.

 

 Joohyun (9.12 pm)

If you want a break, I'll break your neck.

 

Seungwan (9.14 pm)

Don't be like this.

 

 

 

 

Joohyun (1.07 am)
You might be trying to let me down easy, but there's no good way to get turned down

saying you're not good enough for me isn't going to make me leave

because if you feel like you're doing me a favor, you're not

you're breaking my heart, leaving like it's out of kindness, even though it's not what I want and that would make me sad

if you love me,respect me and treat me right, then you don't know what you're talking about when you say you aren't good enough for me

 

 Joohyun (1.10 am)

I get to decide whether or not you're good enough for me 

I get to choose whether you're someone I want to spend a lifetime alongside

if I decide you're the person I want, then I don't need you contradicting me

I don't need you trying to making excuses like you're not better than any other person or don't look beautiful enough

or whatever ridiculous comparison you're trying to make between yourself and others who might earn my heart if you ran away

 

 

 Joohyun (1.15 am)

l understand you have insecurities...if you have a habit of being hard on yourself, doubts about whether you can give me everything I deserve

you know I'm not a really an expressive person but trust me 

 you are good enough for me

 you are also the one in the world that I want, you are the perfect person in my mind and I wouldn't want anyone else

 

 

 Joohyun (1.30 am)

Sure is hard, but I was already aware of that and still I was ready to commit

 I don't take relationships lightly and if I decided to give a try is I truly want something real with you 

I just don't want to wonder where we stand with each other and that maybe this break will tear us apart

 

 

 


I took a deep breath because that was so intense. I feel bad for intruding in such a private moment but my heart was pacing fast and the suspense was better than the drama I was currently watching. I couldn't help but see the rest of the conversation but when I swiped to the right I was offered instead with a selfie of Yeri doing some weird pose.

 

I scrunched my eyebrows. "That's it?”

 

"Well look at you, you're not better than me.”

 

M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter