drunken nights and a new start

Blue

Wendy clutches the tequila rose bottle as she reaches Joy’s residence. Out of all her college friends, Joy was the one she is closest to and this sendoff party is making her more emotional than she is used to.

 

With all the heartbreak she’s been through in the past years, Joy was the one to pick her up, literally and figuratively, driving her to the streets of Seoul, and bringing her to the seaside to just breathe.

 

Joy is getting married and Wendy is really happy for her. But she’s also leaving for another country, and having one of her best friends move away is not that easy to get over with.

 

Wendy trudges through the pavement and sees a woman a few feet away.

 

“Oh, hey! Wendy, right?” a tall form greets her by the gate. Despite the dim streetlight, Wendy recognizes her face, meeting her all those years ago at their friend’s debut.

 

“I’m Rosé. I think we’ve, uh, met before…?” Wendy nods and smiles at her and they talk as they walk towards the house.

 

After Joy’s parents stuff them all with endless food, Joy finally invites the so-called young ones to drink at the rooftop. There’s only about ten of them, bringing together Joy’s closest friends from school, university, and work.

 

As they settle an the pillows around a makeshift table, Joy’s sister comes in with more glasses, bottles, and a basket of ice.

 

Wendy sits beside Rosé and it’s only now that she actually sees her clearly. The girl sends her a warm smile and it melts her heart in an instant. She’s definitely beautiful, the kind that tugs heartstrings. Wendy assumes she’s broken many hearts before, probably unintentionally.

 

Women that pretty, almost always mean trouble. And she’s had enough of heartbreaks from experience.

 

Joy grins and starts the game. She eyes everyone in the room and winks at Wendy. Wendy swallows. That look meant she’s getting drunk tonight.

 

A few rounds later, Wendy heartily laughs as they recall a memory with Joy. She drinks her shot and lets the alcohol draw a line on . She’s tipsy for sure, but she’s not drunk. It’s only been a few glasses and she has a high alcohol tolerance.

 

Or so she thinks.

 

Rosé is sitting with her legs on the side, leaning close to Wendy. Wendy startles at the blow of air against her ear.

 

“You drunk yet?”

 

Maybe. Wendy smirks. “No.”

 

Rosé giggles softly before whispering again. “Want to sneakily skip shots? I don’t want a hangover tomorrow.”

 

Both laugh as the game progresses and more memories are unearthed.

 

Wendy looks over at Rosé, eyes drooping, obviously sleepy. Wendy snuggles closer and lets the other woman lean her head against her shoulder.

 

She drinks a glass of water to sober up, still pretending to drink the alcohol being passed around. Rosé laughs along as she listens to the conversation.

 

Joy laughs again and asks everyone to take another shot, including the two who think they’ve tricked everyone else in the room.

 

Had it been an hour earlier, Wendy and Rosé could have been successful with their plan.

 

Sure, they've stopped drinking after sneakily passing the glasses to the ones beside them and skipping turns. But they don’t seem to realize they’re already drunk as hell. Rosé thinks her movements are demure and soft but they’re big and blatant. And Wendy, who had the audacity to think she’s giggling softly, actually has a booming laughter.

 

Hayoung and Yerin amusedly look at the two, who seem to be revolving into a world of their own. Wendy and Rosé are moving closer to each other with each round. And Joy, despite rolling her eyes, can’t help but feel warm at the sight.

 

Wendy wakes up with a hazy memory of the previous night. All she remembers is sitting beside a somewhat stranger, if she can call Rosé that. Or maybe an acquaintance is more appropriate, since they’ve met more than once already anyway.

 

She doesn’t remember what happened after a few rounds of laughter and stories but there’s an unfamiliar feeling in her belly. She extinguishes it with a glass of water. And it works. Wendy actually forgets about her until the day of the wedding.

 

---

 

Rosé has no interest in falling in love anymore.

 

She knows heartbreak too well, nurtured one for years. And no way she’s considering this after one drunken night. She’s had enough.

 

She dabs at her eyes when Joy says, “I do”, kissing her newly proclaimed wife at the podium.

 

Joy looks so happy and the breeze is suddenly warm to the touch, seemingly sensing and spreading the love around.

 

A tap on her shoulder makes her look back, surprised before seeing the tissue being handed to her.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Wendy nods at that. Rosé dabs her eyes as she lets the love in the air consume her. Her heart beats loudly in her chest.

 

The celebration goes on and it’s all fun even until it’s hours later after a heavy dinner and everybody starts dancing.

 

“May I ask you for a dance?”

 

It’s weird how easily Rosé recognizes the voice before she even turns, a nod automatic before her brain can process it.

 

“I’d love to.”

 

---

 

Joy leans her head against Seulgi. She’s ecstatic, finally having married the love of her life.

 

They're flying in a few days. But Joy can’t help but worry for her two friends. Each had their own set of complications and Joy has always been there for them. She’s afraid the distance may be a problem.

 

She catches her tears before they actually fall and leans back to look at her wife again.

 

Both of them turn their heads towards Wendy and Rosé, lost in the music. They’ve both been broken too many times but Joy can’t help but feel it’s about time they get the love they both deserve.

 

Seulgi caresses her back.

 

“They’ll be fine.”

 

Joy nods.
 

“I know. I’m sure of it now.”