blowing wind

Blue

Leaning on the railings, Rosé huffs as she watches the clouds whirring in the sky. Only honks and beeps can be heard with the wind as the traffic slowly builds on the street below.

 

The late-afternoon breeze is cool and comforting. She moves her arms to keep herself warm, relishing in the comfort of the familiar terrace.

 

She stills and closes her eyes, willing time to stop for a few more moments. The coming days will be so different, she might as well relish in the now.

 

The door from the main building opens but Rosé didn’t need to look back to know who’s there to join her company.

 

“I’m going to miss this spot,” the intruder speaks but Rosé can’t help but smile. She understands.

 

So far, they are the only two who know about this place. Employees pass by the door on their way to the assembly, but nobody ever dares discover what lies beyond it. The padlock keeps it shut and only keen eyes can see it unlocked.

 

Wendy easily makes her way beside Rosé, leaning sideways against the wall and facing her.

 

“I will miss you, too.”

 

When Rosé looks at her, Wendy is already looking towards the horizon. The hue is turning light orange now and the glow helps illuminate Wendy’s face.

 

Rosé looks down towards the ground, but Wendy’s hand catches her eye. She wants to reach for it.

 

“I guess you’re free now, huh?”

 

Rosé catches her nod and show a wistful smile.

 

“You can say that.”

 

Rosé stumbled upon this place a few months back. When her heart feels heavy, she goes up her and gets lost in her thoughts. Just to breathe and feel alive. And it helps.

 

On her fourth visit, someone else is standing at her favorite spot when she arrives. She hurried to leave, almost stumbling in her attempt to turn, but Wendy asks her to stay.

 

Rosé was speechless that first time. Wendy is one of her superior despite the close . Never did she ever want to talk to her outside the job. Rosé has long learned to stay away from complicated things and from people she cannot have.

 

And yet, with each time their paths cross, they only get closer. Her heart only grows softer, bigger, louder. Wendy only speaks kindness and even offers friendship, assures her that there’s balance in life and work. Rosé greedily wants more.

 

The last time they found each other here, Wendy warns her with a goodbye. She got a job offer. One she is more passionate about. One that frees her from the corporate world.

 

Wendy resigns from the company.

 

Rosé didn’t know what to feel.

 

Wendy is leaving.

 

“When are you flying?”

 

Wendy is the one who takes Rosé’s hand.

 

“Tomorrow.”

 

Feeling the time ticking at the back of her head, she intertwines their fingers together and runs her thumb against Wendy’s wrist.

 

“Can I hug you?”

 

Her voice breaks a little but she doesn't care anymore. She can see Wendy’s eyes water.

 

“Yes, please.”

 

Wendy quickly lets go of her hand and tiptoes to wrap her arms around Rosé’s neck.

 

Rosé rubs Wendy’s back even though she’s the one who feels like crying. Wendy deserves this new opportunity. They may not know everything about each other but she always had the impression Wendy was desperate to fly away.

 

“I want more time with you.” Rosé whispers against her hair, too soft for Wendy to hear and yet, she speaks the same sentiments.

 

“I hope to cross paths with you again… years from now, in a different city, and different situation. I’ll see you again.”

 

Rosé waves her goodbye outside the office building that night, smiling as she thinks of a day in the near future where they will see each other again.

 

Leaving it up to fate, they spend the next three years apart. But when the opportunity finally comes, in their home country one airplane ride away, Rosé sees Wendy hand-in-hand with someone new, a shiny silver ring wrapped tight around her finger.