dance the night away

Blue

There’s bustling inside the studio. There are at least fifteen people, and Wendy gulps in nervousness.

 

She halts right in front of the glass doors and it earns her a smack from her best friend.  Frozen in her steps, Seulgi overtakes her and pulls her further into the studio.

 

Wendy sighs. Seems like there’s no going back now.

 

Why did she even agree to this? She likes dancing, that’s for sure… but it’s been a long week and all she wants do right now is to get buried in bed covers and go to sleep.

 

Changed into her workout clothes, she walks towards the back. Seulgi is in front of her, stretching her arms in anticipation. A few regular attendees nod at her in recognition and she waves at another acquaintance from across the room.

 

Only then does she notice a new face beside her. This girl looks a few years younger than her but she’s really tall. She dons a fitted shirt and loose sweat pants and her long, blonde hair is tied high up in a ponytail. Her stance indicates how ready she is for the class. There’s no ounce of hesitation or shyness evident on her face. Unlike Wendy, who’s been attending for three months now, and still attempts to run away each time.

 

Probably sensing a pair of eyes on her, the girl turns to her side. Before Wendy can look away, she is grazed with the softest and prettiest sight.

 

Their little bubble was interrupted as their instructor gleefully greets them all. He looks around the room, scanning their faces.

 

They've been here so many times that he can now recognize Seulgi and Wendy easily but he still asks everyone to say their names.

 

Wendy looks at her classmates’ faces in the mirror and locks eyes with the woman beside her.

 

“Hi I’m Rosé.”

 

Wendy swears she hears bells along that angelic voice.

 

Wen! Seulgi whisper-shouts at her when she is obviously distracted, subtly reminding her that it’s her turn to introduce herself.

 

The instructor and some of her classmates are facing her.

 

Rosé, the most beautiful woman she has ever seen in her life, is also looking at her.

 

“I’m gay.”

 

She sees Seulgi cover her own face and only then does Wendy realize just what happened.

 

“Nice to know, Wendy! Reminding you all again that everyone is welcome in this rainbow home! Now are you ready to start?” Their instructor cuts in and begins the class. Wendy is relieved to hear the music play, effectively taking the attention away from her.

 

She nervously glances at Rosé, apologetic and embarrassed. But she seems to have brushed it off, focusing on learning the moves now and Wendy forces herself to do the same.

 

Wendy feels to urge to leave and run away again.

 

But as Seulgi whispers to her ear during water break, “you are not a weak,” she decides to stay. The song is one of her favorites, the choreography is amazing, and though her leg wobbles and her chest heaves, she is greatly inspired and motivated to do her best today.

 

Glancing to her left, she wonders how Rosé can look so relaxed doing such an intense routine. Despite some stray hair that had escaped her ponytail, she still looks so ethereal. At the moment, it looks like she is replaying the choreography in her head, swaying lightly to mark the moves. And after a graceful turn, she stops right in front of an obviously staring Wendy.

 

And then she smiles at her.

 

Wendy can’t help but feel giddy for a good minute, before she focuses back to the actual dance, learning the steps to each beat.

 

Ten minutes before the class ends, they are ushered to sit in front and perform in groups. Wendy slumps down ungraciously, catching her breath and massaging her sore legs. She still hasn’t gotten over the intense floor work they did last week, and today’s song is twice that tempo. She finally relaxes against the mirror and resigns to her fate.

 

Good luck to me.

 

And good luck really is what she needs. But not for the dance.

 

“Can you take my video?”
 

She hears the angelic voice again and her hand shakes as she takes the phone held out in front of her.

 

“S-sure.”

 

The girl is towering over her, bending forward as she talks to Wendy.

 

“Thanks!”

 

Wendy catches a whiff of floral as hair flies past her and Rosé goes to her position a few meters right in front of her. She poses and gets ready for the music to play.

 

Wendy holds in her breath.

 

Resting her elbows on her knees to keep her hand steady, Wendy presses the red button. And the moment Rosé dances, she is absolutely captivated. Everyone else fades into the background as Rosé performs as if she’s on the stage in front of a whole audience.

 

If it were the case, Wendy would be her number one fan.

 

Three minutes pass by too fast. Wendy’s heart beats loud and she prepares for her turn, returning Rosé’s phone and giving her own.

 

She takes a deep breath and faces her reflection. She hasn’t made any mistakes but she can’t help but feel conscious knowing Rosé is watching her. After her turn, she can't help but cover her eyes and ends up a giggling mess as she bows to Rosé in thanks.

 

Seulgi drags her to the lockers and Wendy takes the time to compose herself, preparing a speech for when she sees her newfound crush outside, only to realize that she was already gone.

 

Disappointed, she glares at Seulgi, harder when she just laughs.

 

“Stop projecting it on me. Why didn’t you talk to her?”

 

Wendy huffs. Well, she was breathless. From dancing. From Rosé.

 

She stomps and leads Seulgi out the studio, resigned to the fate that she will never see Rosé again. Never talk to her again.


“You know, maybe this was a way to get you to attend every week and stop missing classes. I bet I wouldn’t even have to drag you here anymore.”

 

Wendy groans and whines at her friend, earning her weird looks from people in the bus.

 

But it’s only until two hours later, lying down on her bed that something happens. An Instagram notification has her springing up the bed.

 

Please let it be her.

 

Her heart beats in anticipation.

 

And she cannot help but squeal on her pillow when she sees the picture.

 

roses_are_rosie has requested to follow you

 

With renewed vigor, she approves and follows back. Oh, she is so ready to step up her game this time.