Him

I Am Seeing You
 

She needed to find something… someone…

 

Mina brisk walked through the campus building corridors. Her light honey toned hair bounces off her shoulders. Her gentle eyes were searching around anxiously. Where… Skidding to a halt cutely when she sees the guy hanging around a crowd…

 

“Seungcheol!” She shouts and then blushes when more than a pair of curious eyes turned her way.

 

“Mina?” He glanced in the direction of her voice and then did a double take as he recognised her, “Oh- M-Mina!”

 

She wasted no time getting to the point, “I need your help. Sorry to ask a favour so suddenly.”

 

“What happened?” He lowers his head slightly to meet her solemn gaze, placing his hand on her arm briefly as her face showed a mixture of pained expressions.

 

“S-” She began and then shook her head slowly, “Sana…”

 


Seungcheol was not the very obvious kind of guy.

 

Mina had seen the lingering ghost of a smile tugging at his lips every time a certain squirrel-faced girl appears. She would watch how he would stare for awhile, avert his eyes and fiddle with the pen in his hand, allow himself a slight grin before casting another hopeful glance.

 

Sana was not exactly the most observant person around.

 

Being somewhat the middle person, Mina had observed their awkward exchange a few times. Mostly Seungcheol inching closer from behind until Sana actually notices him and then throws a greeting openly. She would then hide her giggle internally while watching them.

 

Sadly, Sana never really noticed him.

 

She never did.

 

She didn’t need him, yet…

 

Mina knew what to do.



 

***



 

“Hey…”

 

Mina held her breath as she saw Seungcheol approaching Sana. Class was about to start. She almost cursed at the bad timing he chose.

 

“Hey?” There was Sana’s bright smile. Of course.

 

Mina dreaded sitting so close to them, she didn’t want to hear anything…

 

“Hey, you know… I kinda need help with maths. Was wondering if…” He got interrupted.

 

“Sorry- I’ve got to meet a friend later.” Sana answers promptly with another bright grin, tilting her head slightly with raised brows, “Which question is it anyway?”

 

“Umm… This one… and that one too.” Mina watches Seungcheol fumble with a file, pulling out some papers and then showing them to Sana.

 

“Oh, I’ve done those with the working solutions.” Sana reached under her desk, pulled out a notebook and handed it to Seungcheol, “Here. Have a look.”

 

“Oh-” He looked so surprised, Mina could have laughed if only the situation wasn't in such a pathetic state. She sympathized with the poor guy and blamed Sana’s very high level of ignorance with certain situations.

 

That interaction might as well have been a meeting between two apes…

 

Mina watches intently as Sana politely excuses herself from Seungcheol and beamed while checking her phone. She lets out a soft sigh and shakes her head. Seungcheol appears by her side while later, at his lips while searching for an explanation.

 

She met his gaze with her own apologetic, confused ones. Who could it be…?




 

***



 

Seungcheol finds himself staring at the softest pair of eyes he's ever seen…

 

Hers.

 

If eyes could contain the shimmerings of oceans and sea waves, these pair harbours the quiet, gentle ripples over the surface of a clear silent lake. That was what he felt when he looked into them.

 

“Umm… Hi…” He started first, clearing his throat when she smiled back at him. “I- Well…” He tries again. Isn't this how she talks to everyone anyway? Why was he so nervous…

 

A teasing chuckle escaped her lips and she tilts her head to study his gestures, “Is this about the math question?” She flinched slightly at his answer after.

 

“No!” Seungcheol had spoken a little too loudly and squeezed at the back of his neck, cursing himself mentally. “I… I needed help to get a gift for Mingyu… You know… That tall guy who sits beside me…?”

 

Sana could not stop the chuckles coming out. He was kind of awkward… and strange too but… It wasn't so bad.

 

“I do know Mingyu.” She answers truthfully with a slight questioning smile.

 

He let out a series of dry chuckles, nodding slowly, “Well, yeah. I need to get him and his girlfriend a little gift… It's- It's their anniversary.” He looks away while saying it. “But I need some advice on the gift choice.”

 

“Oh!” She appears to be deep in thought and then nods. “Sure, I could help.”

 

***

 

Shopping with someone you aren't close with… can feel a little uncomfortable. Scratch that. It is very uncomfortable…

 

“Seungcheol, over here! Look!”

 

He glances away the moment she calls for his name, pretending to look only when she comes nearer, “Found something?”

 

“Yeah! Well, I’m not familiar with Mingyu and his girlfriend but you could get them these handmade cards…” She raises the handicrafts to him, “Would you prefer to make something else?”

 

“Um… Preferably, yes…” He glanced around and spotted something of his favorite.

 

She follows his gaze and broke into a wider smile, “Leggo bricks?”

 

“Nope, something that looks like Leggo. Is it good?” He looked in her direction and followed behind and she started off.

 

“It is cute… You could do a flower… or perhaps an animal?” Her voice began to trail off as she looked harder at the various designs. “Squirrel…”

 

He watches her being focused and his lips tugged slightly upwards. The choice of animal made him snort in amusement. He clears his throat to cover it up.

 

“What? Isn't it cute?” She shrugged casually and grins while looking over a raccoon.

 

“Good choice, I will take that.”

 

“Really?” She was surprised at his agreement.

 

“Mhm. I do like squirrels.”

 

“Does Mingyu though?” She raised a brow with a frown.

 

He lets out a forceful scoff, scratching at the back of his neck, “Mingyu is in love with squirrels.”

 

“Oh wow. That's… interesting.”

 

“What- no… It's so boring.” He glances at her and notices the look of hurt like he’d kick a puppy, “I- I mean it is so interesting. Squirrels are the best.”

 

“Are you patronising me now, Choi Seungcheol?”

 

He lets out a weird noise.

 

She was still squinting at him, “Does he really like squirrels?”

 

Seungcheol sniffed and rubbed at his nose, “I know we aren't that close and all… but do you want to make the squirrel with me? We could give it to him tomorrow.”

 

Testing waters that haven't been tested before…

 

He notices her eyes lit up in genuine surprise and then it dimmed. She looked sort of sad now and he wonders what it was…

 

“You alright? I mean you don't have to. Just asking if you wanna share the gift.” He mumbles off and takes the squirrel pack off her hands.

 

She held onto the packet tightly, biting at her lips, “Yeah you what? I don't mind. Let's share the gift.”

 

It was the happiest day for him.

 

Though...

 

Nothing lasts forever...



 

***

 

He could not understand.

 

They had gone back to the house and settled down at his coffee table. The pieces of the squirrel model were messy but they managed to follow the guide sheet given.

 

Seungcheol watched as Sana stares out of his window occasionally and then at her phone. It was evening. He tried not to let jealousy bother him but…

 

Her expression changes every time she looks at her phone. He didn't want to admit it. Looking at her happy like this was tough…

 

A few times she had glanced up at him and his heart skipped a beat at those beautiful eyes. Her face is like perfection. She looked away quickly after and fidgeted in her seat. He swallowed and averted her gaze.

 

Perhaps she felt it too? His hidden thoughts about her… He bit at his lips, wondering if he should… if he could… No… He couldn't…

 

Seungcheol met Mina the next day…

 

His face a mixture of anger and sadness as he spoke to her. Mina’s features went from worried to guilty… Yes, guilty. She felt bad that she hadn't spoken to Seungcheol about Sana’s condition, but she wasn't sure…

 

“Seungcheol… Sana might not be who you think she is…”