What She Sees

I Am Seeing You

 

 

The garden is beautiful.

 

She reached out to the lavender petals, feeling the soft texture of the flower on her skin. The scent of the pale flowers lingered in the air. The sound of gravel crunching brought a smile to her lips. “Hey…” She greeted without turning around, knowing immediately who it was.

 

“Hey… You alright?”

 

The voice she hears is always gentle and familiar. She looks up and squints slightly, eyes crinkling with the warm evening sun light in them. “Tzuyu?”

 

“Sorry. Got caught up earlier. What did I miss?”

 

She watches the slender figure take a seat beside her. “Nothing too serious…” Answering a little too quickly, she averted her eyes to the rose bush.

 

“Sana… What did the doctor say?”

 

She moves the wheelchair to make space for Tzuyu who was already seated beside her. She sees the worry in the girl’s eyes as a soft gentle warmness spreads over her arm. Tzuyu has the warmest hands...

 

Sana gave a little smile and lifted her head up to feel the passing summer breeze, “A little broken ankle. I’ll be fine. At most, you’ll just have to wheel me everywhere.”

 

“Everywhere?” Tzuyu wrinkles her nose slightly, letting out a chuckle, “Sounds like an awful load of trouble.”

 

“Is that how you talk to a good friend?” Reaching a hand out, she knocks the younger one on the forehead. Letting out a light chuckle as she sees Tzuyu wince at her touch. Rubbing at the younger girl’s forehead, she finds herself staring a little longer at the softness of Tzuyu’s eyes. Looking a little longer, she notices the slight twinkle at the corner of those brown eyes.

 

“Hey Tzuyu…” Sana felt a gentle weight now leaning against her shoulder. “Isn’t the garden beautiful?” She hears a faint hum of acknowledgement after.

 

The faint scent of Summer was creeping in. None of the seasons last anyway, they weren’t made to last. Yet Sana loved the seasons from where she sat… Each season is special in their own way, just like each person who has lived and is living… We all have our purposes.

 

“They’re calling for you.”

 

“Hmm?” She thought she heard something.

 

“They’re calling for you.”

 

Her fingers were unconsciously scratching against her thighs as she heard more voices coming from behind. “Oh…”

 

“Go on…”

 

“No- wait…” Sana felt a rising panic.

 

“Sana!” The voice sounded like it came from a distance.

 

She winced and reached up to clutch at her head slightly, frowning at the sudden sharpness of the stinging pain. She turns around and lets out a defeated sigh. “Is that you… Mina?”

 

“What are you doing here, Sana?” Mina was already jogging up the rocky slope of the seaside cliff.

 

“We were admiring the flowers. Doesn’t the garden smell good?”

 

“Flowers-” Mina swallows hard at the building lump of realisation in , “Sana… It’s getting dark soon, we should head back. Come on… Come with me, please… We should get away from the edge.”

 

“No… I want to look at this for awhile longer…” She argues and then stops when she hears Tzuyu’s voice.

 

“Go with Mina, it’s cold here.”

 

“But when will we get to see flowers like these again?” She retaliates weakly, turning to look at Tzuyu with a pout that would have been difficult to resist. If it wasn’t for…

 

“Sana…” Mina calls out again and reaches a hand out, biting on her lower lip nervously. “Sana, please… It’s dangerous to be here.”

 

“Huh?” A look of confusion passed by Sana’s face.

 

“Don’t keep her waiting hey?” Sana hears Tzuyu’s gentle voice caressing her ears like the warm summer’s breeze. Nodding, she stood up and walked towards a light honey caramel haired girl.

 

Mina followed behind Sana silently. Pulling her phone out quickly, she sent a quick text and bit at her lip. It happened again.

 

She reached out and held onto Sana’s arm as they made their way back down from the cliffs, away from dangerous high grounds. Sana paused for awhile, staring intently at the girl beside her, “Mina, the medicine didn’t work…”

 

“You didn’t take them.”

 

“You knew?”

 

“I know you hate me for giving you the-” Her words were interrupted by a car pulling up in front of them.

 

A man exited the car. “Sana!!” His eyes found her and he grabbed a thick jacket from the car, wrapping her shoulders in it. Reaching his hand out to her cheeks, he clenched his fingers and retracted his hands again. “Don’t you feel cold wearing just this?”

 

“Thanks for the jacket. How did you know where we were?”

 

Mina averted her gaze and tightened her grip on Sana’s arm, “Seungcheol…”

 

“Is she alright?” He shook his head in question at Mina.

 

“She’s fine. We’ll talk later. Let’s get away from the cliff first…” She said the last part in a whisper, glancing at Sana to make sure the girl wasn’t listening.

 

“Why does she always go to su-”

 

“Seungcheol, ready the car.” Mina simply said, pulling at Sana’s arm, “Sana, shall we go get dinner?”

 

“Dinner?” She smiled, “Sounds great. Where?”

 

“Not very far. Come on.” Mina answered flatly, urging the girl gently into the car. Seungcheol’s expression was livid but he was holding it in. They got inside too and started off the journey downhill.

 

The cold gray winter scenery passed the car. Pine trees covered with a sheet of soft white snow.

 

Sana stared in wonder out of the window, tucking a loose strand of dark hair behind her ears. “Isn’t it beautiful?” She asked, placing her hand on the window pane. Eyes focused on the zipping whiteness, “It’s so colorful…”

 

Mina closed her eyes and nodded slowly. “It is…”

 

A soft giggle escaped very parched lips but that did not deter the pretty features of the dark haired girl. Her eyes had a shimmering charm to them. One could not put a finger on the thoughts going on behind those puppy eyes.

 

Mina reached out and intertwined their fingers together tightly, her eyes tearing up slightly as she felt how chilly Sana’s hand was. How long had the girl been standing at the snowy seaside cliff without a jacket on? The heater of the car was warming them up slowly.

 

“Next time…” Mina started.

 

Seungcheol looked at them through the rear view mirror.

 

“Next time, please tell us where you are headed to… We were worried sick…” She finished.

 

Are you watching over me?

 

Sana beamed and leaned her head against Mina’s shoulder, “She told me it was alright. That she would be right beside me there…” Her voice was beginning to slur with sleepiness, “That nothing will happen to me…” Slowly, she slipped her arms around Mina’s waist and let her heavy lids close, “So don’t worry…”

 

Mina met Seungcheol’s gaze through the mirror and shook her head. He nodded and looked away. The entire car ride was quiet throughout. Just two of them listening to the soft breathing.

 

Anything to let them know that Sana was still alive…