Chapter 17.1: The Core

Turn Back The Time

Year 2020

The state of the city is devastating, a woman with a white hair standing in the city ruin. The wind softly blow through her hair. The smell of smoke lingering in the air. A light footstep slowly approaching the woman.

“The process is complete…are you sure you want to do this?”

“Yes.” Answer the woman in silver hair without hesistation.

The other person looked up to the dark sky and focuses on the figure that is levitating on the air. There is a dark aura surrounding her that send shivers down the person’s spine. She took a deep breath and turn to the white haired woman.

“I’ll be here when you need me…”

 

Back to 1996

Youi wakes up from her nightmare where she dreamt that she killed her mother. She screams and pants as the terrifying image imprinted in her mind.

“Youi? Youi you okay?” Irene asked her daughter when she was awaken by Youi’s scream.

“Omma?” she looks at her mother in tears.

“It’s okay, I’ve subdue the serum substance in your body, it should be able to stabilize the serum effect for the mean time.” said Irene.

“What…?”

“Youi…what I’m about to tell you maybe will shock you but I want you to understand, no matter what happened, you will always be our baby.”

“What is happening mom?”

“The future where you and Yeri came from is no longer exist…something happened 2 years ago…and Wendy and I…we messed up and we destroyed that future.”

“What did you do?”

“Yeri’s creation…”

“What?”

 

Lab Room 7

Yves monitored Yeri’s heart rate and she keep track on how far have Yeri dive into Irene’s memories. The door to the lab opened and Wendy steps in.

“You disobeyed me Yves.” said Wendy to her creation.

“I’m only doing what I think is right.” replied the AI.

Wendy only sigh and she looks at her adoptive daughter unconsciously lying on the chair, she went to the monitor and check on Yeri’s pulse and brain activity. She knows that the future her instruct Yves to reveal everything to the siblings if anything goes out of control in the past and due to her and Irene’s mistake, everything in the future timeline is no longer existed. Her future-self came back to warn her about what happened in the future, but she did not heed her advice and continue with her plan. The next thing she knows, the whole timeline changed and Youi and Yeri’s lives were but on gamble. Wendy learned the truth about how her father revive her using Dr. Suzy’s serum and how the serum affected her human’s DNA composition. She knows that Dr. Suzy is Irene’s real mother. She promised to her father that she will keep the secret from Irene until the right time come. She looks back to Yeri and then to her AI “Whose memories are you loading into her brain?” she asked.

“Irene…”

“Hmmm…”

“Master, you need to prepare yourself in case Ms Yeri wakes up and activate her power. With Youi’s condition now, there is no where we can contain her.” Said the AI.

Wendy let out a sigh and she nods her head. She just hope that Ryujin and Lia can manage to complete their serum immediately so that if Yeri woke up and lose control over her power, she can use it to subdue Yeri before her power erupt.

Wendy from the future thought that by eliminating the future timeline where Yeri and Youi fought and created the apocalypse will stop the event from happening. It got worse, there are multiple universes were born from the wrong decision that past Wendy and Irene chose and the ending is always the same. World war erupted and the future is in dystopia state. Youi’s power went out of control and she ended up killing 90 percent of the world population.

Wendy closes her eyes and she massage her temples, sighing for the hundredth time this time. She still remembered what her future-self told her.

Flashback

Wendy woke up early that morning, she smiles when she felt a pair of arms wraps around her. She slowly turns around and see her wife soft sleeping face. Wendy kisses her wife on the forehead and whispers to her how much she loves her.

“Baby, I need to go cook breakfast…” she whispered to her wife but Irene did not want to let Wendy goes.

“Stay in bed with me…” mumbled Irene.

“Then who is going to make breakfast for us?” asked Wendy.

“Mmm…” Irene moaned in her sleepy state.

“I’ll make you some kimchi pancakes…then let’s go out on a date for today okay?” Wendy asked as she nuzzles her wife’s neck with her nose.

“What about work?” Irene asks.

“We can take the day off…”

Irene finally opens her eyes and she looks directly into her wife’s loving eyes. She reaches for Wendy’s cheek and she gently rubs it “Where are you going to take me out on a date today Ms Son?”

Wendy giggles at her wife’s cute pouty face, she could not resist the urge to kiss her wife. She leans forward and capture her wife’s soft lips. Irene moans into Wendy’s mouth when the latter deepened the kiss. It was getting steamy when Wendy pulled away and leaving Irene a little disappointed.

“Let’s go to the beach today…”

“Okay…”

Wendy gives Irene one last peck before she gets out of the bed and heads down to their kitchen to cook for them. Irene went back to lay down on their bed after Wendy left.

Kitchen

Wendy washes her hand on the sink and dry it off her pants before she went to the refrigerator to get all the ingredients that she needed to make kimchi pancakes. She almost dropped the ingredients when a hooded woman appeared in front of her.

“We need to talk.” Said the hooded woman.

Wendy squinted her eyes to take a better look at the person and she gasps when she realized who she is “You’re me from the future, aren’t you?”

The future Wendy heard a footsteps coming down, so she pulled the past Wendy with her and she activated the time wraps to teleport them to another location. Future Wendy let go of past Wendy’s wrist and the duo face each other.

“Where is this place?”

“It’s the time tunnel…”

“Oh wow, did Ryujin succeed in repairing the time machine for you to come back and visit me? Don’t worry me from the future, I figure it all out. No more Robin means T-ARA won’t started the war, and yes Irene is still working with Eunjung but she knows what she is doing. She purposely made a tiny mistake in her calculation so the Serum won’t be completed and it won’t harm any of the girls that participate in the experiments and I personally set up an orphanage where the kids can grow up happily. I figure all this out…so tell me how is the future?”

The future Wendy looked grim and there was no smile or joy in her face. The darkness in her eyes scared the past Wendy. Future Wendy touches her watch and shows past Wendy the hologram of the future.

What she saw scared her. Thousands of dead body lying on the hard cold ground, among the dead body, she saw her friends and then something in the sky caught her eyes. It was a girl in silver hair, Wendy squinted her eyes to have a better look and it was Youi. She was levitating in the sky, with both her hands extended out. A sudden laser blast almost makes Wendy fell on her but the future Wendy told her that it is only a hologram and it cannot hurt her.

“What is going on?”

“The red hair is Yeri and the white hair is Youi…”

“But…but I did everything that I can think of to stop whatever that is going to happened in the future! I disbanded the Arrow Squad. I retired from being a vigilante. Yeri and Youi had gone back to their future timeline! I did everything that I could to stop whatever that is going to cause whatever that is going to happened in the future!!”

“No past me! Listen!! The fight between the two of them is unavoidable, the moment I sent those two back to the past, I’ve created a loop, and multiverse, and in the entire universes, they will continue to fights and the apocalypse is unavoidable.”

“Apocalypse?”

“Wendy…we’re not normal human…” the Wendy from the future tried to explain.

“I know, we were injected with the first workable serum when we’re little because we got electrocuted and in the brink of our death…Dad had no choices but to proceed with the procedure…”

“No Wendy…listen…Dad was lying to us…We were dead and Dad revive us with Dr. Suzy’s formula…we are not normal human Wendy!”

“No one can play God and revive a dead person!”

“That is what I am trying to tell you…our father and Dr. Suzy discover something that is not in this world, and Dr. Suzy managed to extract the power and that thing gave us our life back…it’s called the Herrscher Core, that is the thing that gave you the power and not the explosion. You are the first human that was implant with the core and survive…the serum is only a way for Dad to suppress the power of the core inside you, and not for whatever reasons that he told you. Wendy…when Eunjung tested the serum on you, you survived not because your body already have the substance in it but because of the core keeping you alive. I came here to give you the last warning…when Yeri is born, you have to do whatever you can to stop her from being born to this world…”

Wendy was shocked to hear what her future-self told her. “Are you insane?! Yeri is our daughter!!”

“Would you rather to kill your own daughter or your adopted daughter? There is no way to stop the destruction that those two is going to cause in the future! 2 years from now Yeri is going to be born into this world and you and Irene is going to hide the fact that she is Eunjung’s daughter, but she will eventually find out who she really is…”

“How is that going to turn Yeri evil?!”

“Wendy!! The evil one isn’t Yeri…it’s Youi…”

Wendy was shocked to hear the revelation. She falls on her knees, speechless. The future Wendy crouches in front of the past her. She lifted past Wendy’s chin so that past Wendy can look right into her eyes.

“Yeri will turn her back on you and Irene but she did that just so she could save you, Irene and Youi. Youi and Yeri did not came back to their timeline, I messed up with their route and you are going to help Ryujin to complete the time machine and deter their time route to the year where Yeri is born. I need you to kill Yeri…the only way to stop Youi from turning evil is for us to sacrifice Yeri…”

Wendy gives the future her a heavy punch on the face. Future Wendy falls on the ground with a loud thuds. “Be gone and I don’t want to see your face anymore! Don’t tell me to choose between my daughters! They are my daughters! I don’t know what happened to you in the future but I won’t allow you to influence me to hurt my children!!”

“You will regret it!”

“I already regret that I included Youi and Yeri in my own mess…”

Future Wendy sees that she is running out of time. She turns her watch and send her pas-self back to the place where she kidnapped her. “I love Yeri too, I did not want to see her die too, but we are talking about the world…if I have to kill Yeri then I will do it…I’m leaving the choice to you…” said the future Wendy before she slowly vanishes.

Wendy noticed the look in her future-self, she knows that future Wendy had to make the hardest decision in her life, but Wendy refuses to let any more people died for the mistake that she created. However, the truth about Irene’s real heritage shock her even more.

Wendy looks around her kitchen and she was greet by her beautiful wife that stands by the doorframe looking at her with a confused look on her face “Honey you okay?”

“Yeah…ugh, I just feels a little tired…uh baby, I need to go and meet with dad, can you cook for yourself?”

“You’re not going to have breakfast with me?”

Wendy shakes her head and she gives Irene a quick kiss before she goes to their bedroom to get change. Irene was perplex by her wife’s sudden change of mood, but she did not want to ask her because when they got married the set a rule that they will only talk about their problems when they are ready to talk about it and not forcing the other to said it out.

Irene opens up the fridge to see is there anything that she can heat up and eat, because she feels lazy to cook. She looks up when she heard the heavy footsteps of her wife coming down in hurried. “Will you be gone for a whole day?” Irene asked.

“I don’t know…I’ll call you.”

“Okay…send my regards to mom and dad.”

“Yeah…I will.” Wendy replied and she gives Irene another kiss before she grabs the car key and drive away.

Son Family Manor

Mr. Son was having his breakfast while reading the newspaper. Mrs. Son offers refill for Mr. Son’s coffee but Mr. Son rejected, saying that he needs to watch his blood pressure level. Mrs. Son laughed at Mr. Son’s reasoning, saying that he should stop smoking as well and not only cut down on his caffeine intake. The couple were surprise when they heard car noises outside. Mrs. Son check the monitor and see that it was their daughter. “Seungwan is here.” Said Mrs. Son.

“That’s odd, at this hour and without telling us. Did she had a fight with Joohyunie?” Mr. Son asked because Wendy seldom came to visit them without no reason.

Mrs. Son welcomes her daughter in but she was a little hurt when Wendy rejected her hug and went straight to her father “Dad…we need to talk.” Said Wendy. Her tones worried Mr. Son and Mrs. Son and they pray that she is not having a fight with their daughter in law.

“Did you fight with your wife, Seungwan?”

“No dad…I need to talk to you, this is about Joohyunie…”

Mr. Son looks at his wife and Mrs. Son gets his signal, she excuses herself and she leaves the dining room. Mr. Son invites Wendy to sit with him and Wendy quickly pulls a chair next to him. She seated down and she stares at her father, he looks so old now, she remembers how she always find her father is the most handsome man in the world but now his face is full with wrinkles and his hair is slowly turning white.

“Dad…what is a Herrscher Core?”

Wendy saw how her father’s eyes when from normal to big upon hearing the words Herrscher. Wendy knows that her father is hiding something from her. “Dad…who is Dr. Suzy Bae really is?” Wendy adds on.

Mr. Son puts down his newspaper and he asks his daughter to follow him to his study. “Who told you?” asked Mr. Son as the father daughter walk down the hallway to the study room.

“I have some informant…dad…I appreciate it if you can tell me everything about Dr. Suzy and the Herrscher Core…I don’t want you to hide anything from me. This is crucial for your granddaughters.”

Mr. Son nods. They reached the study room and Mr. Son asks his daughter to sit as he takes out a few files from his cabinets “This is going to be a long day, but I will tell you everything you want to know.”

End of flashback.

Infirmary

“The complication of Yeri’s birth causes both mother and child in the verge of dying…Yeri’s mother begged me to save Yeri and I used the crystal’s power on Yeri, which granted Yeri power as well…I know I shouldn’t use the core but, I cannot let Yeri die…” Irene confessed to her daughter.

“So you are telling me…that all this while, the reason why mom and me able to withstand the serum’s side effect is because our body is fused with the Herrscher core?”

Irene nods then she touches Youi’s chest “But it seems like your core is not stabilize yet, there must be some miscalculating that the future me did…hence your DNA mutated.”

“……”

“It’s okay if you’re angry at me. I ed up your life…and your sister…”

Youi reaches for Irene’s hand and looks into her eyes “Then let’s fix this mess together.”

 

To be continue…

A/N: I decided to spilt this chapter into two. I am so sorry for the lack of updates!