Tonight

The Heart of the Moon

“Feeling better?” Dahyun asked. 

The girl nodded. “You always do with a little something in your stomach.” She chuckled softly. Then she shook her head. “Did I tell you my name? Or do you already know? Or what–how,” a sigh, “how does this work?”

“For starters,” she smiled, “what’s your name?”

“Kendra,” the girl replied. “And do I call you Artemis or,” she trailed off again. 

She shook her head. “Dahyun is fine.” 

“Dahyun,” she repeated. “I’m really sorry. This is all coming on at once.” Kendra wrung her hands. “No offence, but if your entire belief system is, you know, smashed to pieces, it does stuff.” 

“I understand,” Dahyun pushed the piece of cake closer to her, “dessert?”

Kendra shook her head.

Dahyun started eating it instead.

Kendra had been lost in the forest, asking for help from anyone who could hear her. Some of her hunters had. They’d given Dahyun notice immediately. And now here they were. Now Dahyun had learned that Kendra had been married, but now no longer. It had not been a marriage she’d chosen, but one she’d been into by her family. The girl was unwilling to go into the details, so Dahyun had let it go. It was best not to force such things.  

“Is it offensive that I wasn’t expecting you to, well.” The words stopped. Kendra chewed on her lip. 

“To exist?” Dahyun finished. “Not at all. Especially not nowadays.” She grinned at her. “Our pantheon makes for an exclusive club.” 

She chuckled. “And you’re serious, right? I can join you?” 

Dahyun nodded. “Or you don’t have to,” she said. “It’s up to you.” A pause. “And no, I will not wipe your memory if you refuse.” 

Her eyes widened. “You can do that?” 

“Yes and no." She shrugged. "The River Lethe also exists.” 

“Right,” Kendra looked away, “all that exists.” Then she straightened. “And Aphrodite’s not gonna condemn me?” The girl looked terrified as she looked up at Dahyun. “Because if you’re real, that means all the rest are too, and that means she exists too. And all those stories about her making girls fall in love with animals or,” she took a deep breath, “and I’m basically forsaking love, aren’t I?”

Dahyun did wish she hadn’t been so vocal about Sana. She’d gone a fair amount of time without seeing the goddess of love. She wondered if she’d make her appearance.

Then there was a rush of warmth, along with the scents of chocolate and flowers. That was her answer.

“Not completely,” Sana said. “You swear to be a and you swear off marriage.” She winked. “But you don’t completely swear me off, right?” She looked at Dahyun then, sitting down beside her on the ground. She wore a fancy dress, one that was light pink and had frills along the arms. She didn’t seem to mind the dirt that would inevitably rub off on it and her legs. 

Kendra looked stunned. Dahyun wondered if it was because of how Sana had appeared from nothing or due to the goddess’ appearance. She did look particularly stunning tonight. 

Dahyun turned her attention away. “She’s right.” The words were difficult to say. “You don’t abandon love entirely, but you must honour those other values.” 

“But I—” Kendra stopped herself again, no doubt wanting to avoid saying anything wrong. For someone who'd just discovered that the Greek gods existed, she knew how to handle herself. Being adaptive to new situations was a good trait to have. 

“The stories are obsolete now,” Sana said. “I won’t make you fall in love with a bear just because you decide this one’s a little more favourable than me.” 

Dahyun didn’t comment on being called ‘this one’. She was more surprised that Sana acknowledged that curse of hers. 

Kendra relaxed then. Her eyes flitted between the two of them. “So you two aren’t mortal enemies?”

Dahyun laughed. “No.” 

Sana looked at her. In the firelight, her eyes looked more orange than brown. 

“Can I ask you something based on, you know, appearance?” Kendra asked. 

“Why do we look Asian?” Sana tilted her head to the side. “Our phenotype isn’t exactly set in stone.” A smile appeared. “Except for the fact that I’m always gorgeous and she’s got those silver eyes.” 

Dahyun elbowed her. A part of her also wondered where Sana had learned about the term 'phenotype', though that was likely another offensive thing to think. 

Sana stood. "If that’s all. I’ll be off.” She flashed Kendra a surprisingly gentle smile. “You won’t be met with my wrath or something like that. Unless of course you really really disrespect me, but otherwise, no.” With that, she vanished. 

“That’s not what I expected,” said Kendra. “Is she always like that?”

Dahyun shook her head. “Not at all.” Had something happened in the past months? “Regardless, do you have any questions?” 

She saw the girl’s eyes flicker to the rest gathered by the fire. 

“Is it hard?” she asked. “Being immortal?”

“It can be,” Dahyun replied. “Frequently. At times I think the others have experienced that more than I have.” She looked at the other girls. They had many stories, some lighthearted, others sad. If Kendra became a hunter, she would hear those stories and tell her own. Perhaps she would be with them when they next celebrated a graduation from one of the younger girls, or even Dahyun’s own when she finished with her masters. That would be another confusing conversation to have with Kendra. It had been difficult enough to tell her fellow hunters, specifically the ones she'd known for centuries, that she wanted to be taught by humans. 

“Are there any cliques? Like, we were born a century before you, so you're way too young for us. Or someone who’s from five hundred years ago and doesn't interact with anyone younger? And then the millennials are just there?” 

Dahyun chuckled. “The time when you were born mostly plays a role if you make a reference of some film or media thing. Otherwise you're all huntresses. There's one millennial whose befriended someone who lived a thousand years ago.” 

She smiled. “Okay. So I can just go talk to them?”

“They won’t bite.” Dahyun nodded. “Just be sure not to be overwhelmed when they start talking about our hunt yesterday.” She stood. “If there’s anything I need to warn you about, it’s this.” She fixed Kendra with what she hoped was a serious gaze. Her shorter stature might have worked against that. “Once you take those vows, you will be immortal, but you won't be invincible. I’ve lost hunters to beasts, or injuries I could not heal.” 

To her surprise, Kendra did not look disturbed by her words. “Like life is now, but extended.” 

“Right,” Dahyun said. “Plus eternal youth.” Then she waved towards the other girls. They were already looking up expectantly. “Go to them. You can also thank Eletha for the stew, she’s the one with dark curly hair, and Minnie for the cake. She’s the one with really long dark hair and bangs.” 

The other girl nodded. “And about what she said,” she gestured to the spot beside Dahyun, “do you believe her? She really won’t do anything?” 

Dahyun looked to the spot where Sana had just been. She hadn’t stayed to convince the girl otherwise, nor had she tried to take down Dahyun’s ideals in front of her. While Dahyun doubted almost all of her actions, she found herself believing the sincerity behind Sana’s final words to Kendra. 

“I believe her,” Dahyun said. “She hasn’t been a bother to any of the other hunters for a long time.” Only to her, but she wouldn’t tell the girl that. 

“Okay.” Kendra smiled. “Wow, sorry, I’m such am mess, but wow,” she shook her head, “thank you, Art–Dahyun. Really.” Then she walked off to join the others. 

Dahyun heard the distant chorus of greetings and smiled. There was a small rush of wind then. It was gone, but Dahyun felt its lingering warmth still. Strange for a wintery night. 

_____

Sana’s throne was comfortable. It had to be for the longest of meetings. Ones that were mostly about nothing. Then she could doze off with her eyes open, daydream about where she’d go next, who she’d meet next. 

Now Sana just lounged on her seat, looking to her right. The throne of silver was empty. It shone into the room. Not as obnoxiously as that of her brother’s did, but it glowed as her eyes did. 

I believe her. It had been no small statement. Sana still wondered where that had come from. 

Would she come today? She was allowed several liberties for being one of her father’s favourites and being in charge of a sphere that did not concern most matters of the modern mortal world. Sana envied her. She hated that she did. Yet she also hoped that the goddess of the hunt would come.

It was the summer solstice. She had to come to this one. 

Since that Kendra girl, Sana hadn’t seen Dahyun. The moment she'd been mentioned in conversation, she'd been enjoying herself immensely at an engagement party (not her own). She would not admit it, but she'd done as Tzuyu and Mina had said, avoiding going to her when she wanted to. If it had done anything, she wasn't sure. 

“Good evening,” Apollo drawled as he walked in. He brought a literal glow to the room. “Miss me?” He wore a dark suit. 

Hasn’t changed, Sana thought. She didn’t even hide the rolling of her eyes. 

The god of the sun sat down on his throne, one of garish gold. It was almost like the sun: painful to look at. How he was the twin of the moon goddess, Sana would never understand. At least he was more fun than his sister. 

“She’s on her way, father,” he said. “The event’s just finishing up.” 

“An event?” Dionysus looked up. “With drinks and,” his eyes widened, “fun?” 

Sana fought a smile. 

“Don’t get too excited,” Apollo laughed, “there was something about engines and numbers.” A sigh. “Not sure what any of that is, but there were some wonderful women around her who weren’t huntresses.” 

An even stranger combination. 

“It’s not bows and animals,” said Hermes, wrinkling his nose. “So I’d say it’s progress.” 

As if on cue, the goddess arrived. Sana’s eyes widened at what she saw. 

Dahyun wore a dress. It wasn't one that'd been clawed to pieces or looked more like armour than a real dress. This was a proper white dress with one long sleeve, a cut-out on that sleeve, and a completely bare left arm. It emphasised her figure well, but not too much. But even for her, it was a lot. 

“Where’ve you been?” Hermes’ eyebrows had risen to twice their original height.

The moon goddess sat down on her thrown. She didn’t cross her legs. At least that hadn’t changed. 

“My graduation,” she replied. There was something very close to pride in her eyes.

“You left the forest?” Dionysus asked. 

Sana watched as Dahyun smiled. She was very pleased with herself. This was 'something more'.

“Yes. I even went to university,” the moon goddess said. “You missed the party.” 

The wine god laughed. “Can we add this to the celebrations?” He looked towards his father. 

“I vote no,” Hera frowned. Sana had never quite understood her dislike for all children who were not her own. It had something to do with them being reminders that her husband had been unfaithful, but the goddess of family had to understand that Zeus’ other children (at least some) were still held in high regard. Not to mention that Hera had sometimes dismissed those of her own blood. 

“I vote yes,” Sana said. “It has been quite some time since we honoured the moon goddess.” 

There was a chorus of agreement, most loudly from Apollo. It did not escape her notice that the sun god had indeed attended his sister’s graduation. 

Beside her, Dahyun’s cheeks had flushed silver. 

“I don’t think we need to celebrate this,” she said. 

“I think we do!” her brother grinned, “come on. You worked hard for it.”

“As if any of you know what she's actually done to deserve it,” Mina remarked. 

“I do,” Apollo protested. 

“Your exact words were,” Tzuyu began, “there was something about engines and numbers.” 

A golden flush appeared. “I wasn’t wrong, was I?” He glanced at his sister. 

Dahyun rolled her eyes. “Not completely.” 

“Ha!” 

“The decision is yes,” said Zeus. “But first I would like to continue the meeting.” 

Sana half listened as she took in the woman beside her. Her makeup was faint yet just pronounced enough to emphasise her eyes. Sana was sure she had appeared to the mortals with brown eyes, but the silver ones seemed all the more piercing, now rimmed by long lashes and eyeliners.

The other gods were reporting what had been happening since the winter solstice. Very little was the answer. 

Hephaestus had decided to engage more with modern engineers rather than just observe. He was even working among them. Dahyun had straightened then, leaning forward on her throne. 

“Aerospace too?” she asked. 

Sana’s ex-husband nodded with a smile. “That too.” 

“You know what that is?” Hermes asked. 

“So do I!” Apollo piped up, looking far too proud of himself. 

Dahyun sighed beside her. Sana remembered the books in Dahyun's tents. They'd all revolved around physics in some form or another. Was that what she'd studied? 

“Are we all caught up?” Sana asked. “I’d love to get to celebrating now.” 

“Agreed,” Dionysus said. “It’s great to see you and all, but we’re all here for one thing and one thing only.” 

“Which is family,” Tzuyu said, levelling orange eyes at the god of wine. “Right?”

“That too, I guess.” 

The goddess of the hearth sighed, probably going through all the reasons why their family is completely dysfunctional. She’d once listed a few of them to Sana. That alone had taken a good part of an hour, as Sana had never noticed some of the things Tzuyu had. Personally, she found that they had all improved dramatically from where they’d been a few thousand years ago. 

“Meeting concluded then,” Zeus stood, “all the rest should be arriving in ten minutes.” 

That meant Momo would finally be there. She’d been enjoying the rest of the world since winter ended, but now she’d be at Olympus. Sana rarely intruded on that time, as Momo cherished it dearly. Now they could catch up on all that they’d missed in the past months. 

Dahyun stood, stretching as she did. Sana was surprised that she hadn’t changed into something else. 

“Did that girl become a hunter?” Sana asked.

The huntress looked up, seemingly taken aback that Sana had even spoken. “Yes. She found her place pretty quickly.” She began to walk to the doors. She was even wearing heels. 

“And the graduation party? Did they come with you?” 

Dahyun nodded. “Most of them. Some wanted to stay in camp, others to explore the city around the venue.” She sighed. “I would’ve joined them if I could.” 

“You didn’t enjoy the party?” 

She shook her head. “There you truly become the centre of attention. It’s nothing I enjoy.”

“And yet you’re a leader, as well as a god?”

Dahyun smiled. It suited her. “That’s different. I may be paid attention to in both cases, but it’s not filled with constant praise and stuff like that either.” 

“Your worshippers praise you.” 

“Not as much as you’d think,” she replied. “Some of the biggest praise for me is this one saying,” Dahyun opened the door, letting Sana through first, “apparently synonymous with a declaration for love, so it was hardly something for me.” A small chuckle. 

Sana knew the saying.

Music was already starting. It was a hybrid between traditional music on a lyre, but with a beat found in so many modern songs. 

"And what were you studying?" 

Another smile grew on Dahyun's face. "Engineering," she said. "I might have found what I want."

"Oh?" Sana asked. She hardly dared to blink, lest the smile disappear. 

"I want to go the moon." Her silver eyes looked to the night sky then. She almost looked transfixed by what she saw. 

"And after that?" 

Her eyes met Sana's with something very close to sincerity. "I don't know, but that'll be a question to answer later. Not tonight." Then the goddess nodded at her before walking off to greet Tzuyu. 

Sana spent the rest of the summer solstice with Momo, Mina, and Nayeon. Across the stone pavilion, she saw a very animated Dahyun chatting away with Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung. Her skin was still glowing, demonstrating to everyone her connection to the celestial orb above them all. 

Dahyun had been wrong about the saying. It suited her. Tonight, the goddess of the moon was beautiful. She always was.

_____

Author's Note

The two goddesses are a little less at one another's throats. It might be more the celebratory moods of both, or just a bit more development. We'll see. 

This is a dynamic I'm having huge amounts of fun exploring and I'm taking my time as it progresses. Hope you're enjoying the journey! 

See you next chapter.