A prayer

The Heart of the Moon

The moon shone brightly today. Sana was reminded of eyes that were the same colour. No. There was more silver in her eyes. 

It was cold. Sana rarely dressed to be outside for long. Despite it being spring, this night was cold. Yet she did not want to leave. She found solace here. It was quiet. Nature surrounded her, but she preferred to look up at the sky. At the moon. Perhaps if she spoke to it, the unwavering brightness would provide her with some answers. The one who drew it across the sky, however, changed from a gentle warmth to a harsh cold in a matter of minutes. It often depended on the person she spoke to. Sana only ever received one part of her. She wondered if that would ever change. 

Then she heard the softest of footsteps, the faintest rustle of a leaf. 

She felt a smile start to form. “Following me?” Sana asked. 

“You were formulating your thoughts as a prayer,” Dahyun replied, her voice just above a whisper. “And you rarely pray, let alone to me.” 

Sana turned around then to face the moon goddess. Her breath caught. 

The moonlight made her pale skin adopt a silver glow. Her eyes were even brighter, as though the silver in them had turned molten. Her hands were closed around a bow of pale wood, an arrow notched in it. 

“Were you planning to attack me?”

Dahyun returned the arrow to her sheathe in a smooth movement. Then she frowned. “No.”

Sana knew that, but to probe at a goddess known for her patience, it was too great an opportunity to miss out on. 

“To save me?” 

The frown turned into a scowl. “If you have no need of me, then I will be going.” Dahyun's skin began to glow even brighter. 

“Wait.” Sana reached out to take her hand. Her skin was warm to the touch. “I—” the words stopped. 

The other goddess did not look discomforted in her presence. Sana didn't want to say something that would change that, but she knew she would fail. 

"Yes?" Dahyun hadn't left immediately. She looked at Sana, confusion apparent in her eyes.

"I wanted to see you.” 

“You already were,” Dahyun pointed at the sky, “so my being here is hardly necessary.” With a flash of silver, she disappeared. 

_____

Author's Note

A tiny taster for the story. It was born from select scenes manifesting while I'm on the bus to and from destinations. It's a dynamic I really enjoy and I hope you will as well. 

See you in the next one!