Chapter 22 | You

Your Scent in the Rain |
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER SONG: WHO I STROLLED WITH - POETIC NARRATOR

"Oh yes mom, I'm coming home. Ah, it's nothing, just, just a few days." 

Minghao watched her quietly from a few feet away. He was afraid of standing too close to her now that he didn't know if her energy might be drained again.

The house had become too quiet because Jun had dragged Hoshi out. The older brother also wanted to give Minghao some private time with Chen Xi of course. So much had happened in just a day.

"Call me when you're done. I'll wait outside to send you home," Hoshi said to her.

"Aye, they'll manage. You don't have to worry about it," Jun said before closing the door. Minghao knew Jun had dragged Hoshi away. 

It was already night and he didn't turn on the lights. The buildings opposite the river were all lit up brightening up the living room a little somehow. It was supposed to be a wonderful sight but Minghao wasn't in the mood to even take a second look. 

Yue Lao had also taken off after leaving Jun a single fluffy looking feather. 

"Just set it on fire and I'll come." He left those instructions like a passing remark with a grin before disappearing like a whirlpool of misty cloud.

"Bye mom, see you soon."

Chen Xi's voice lingered in the air like an echo. It was quiet and Chen Xi found it hard to even look at him.

"We'll go over the weekends," Minghao said.

"Yeah," she replied, a weird awkwardness hung in the silent air. 

"I'll-"

"I think-"

Both of them spoke at the same time and stopped hearing each other's voices. Chen Xi stared at the ground. There was actually a lot that she wanted to find out but somehow it was hard to get it off her chest. 

"I'll send you home, wear this," Minghao said and pick up a long coat for her, he was worried that she might be cold. Carefully, he placed it over the couch and stepped further away so she could pick it up. 

Chen Xi watched as he stepped away, she thought she had convinced herself that she was just someone that looked like Yue Er and Minghao was probably confused at his feelings even when he had lost his memories. His body probably remembered the familiarity of Yue Er and had totally taken her for that dead past live.

But when she walked over slowly and took his coat, when she smelled his scent from the thick coat, it still broke her heart further.

She didn't want to just accept it. Now that they were all alone, she wanted to at least hear it from him directly. 

"How are you going to send me home like this?" She asked, her voice broke at the last word. Minghao noticed that tears had well up around her eyes even in the dark. He looked away quickly because he couldn't stand the sight of her crying.

"I'll walk behind you." 

"Are you sure I'll faint?" Chen Xi asked as a teardrop fell onto the coat. 

"It's better to be safe," Minghao answered after a short pause.

Chen Xi took two steps forward and instinctively Minghao

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter