fin.

I’ll sing for you

 

It was a gloomy day. Too gloomy for May but not too gloomy for Canada. Wendy was looking at the sky from her cabin trying really hard not to cry. She was in her one room cabin in Banff, Canada. Her favorite place. It was the  middle of May so there was no snow but albeit it was still breathtaking. 

 

She remembers when she came here for the first time. It was during her first year of  high school, her friends have invited her to join their family camp and even tho her family was far away in Korea and they knew, they wanted her there. So she packed her bags and enjoyed a weekend away from the big city with her friends and their families who welcomed her as if she is their own daughter. She fell in love with Banff right there and then. The lake that was beautifully shining between mountains, the water so clear you can see your own reflection in it and at night it was mesmerizing. The stars she could never see from the big city that Toronto was fue to it’s high buildings were shining brightly, illuminating the sky.

 

“Wendy, are you ready?” a voice came from the other side of the door of her cabin, a knock following after.

 

Wendy took a deep breath releasing it to calm herself. It was time.

 

She walked to the door and opened it, plastering a smile on her face. On the other side was her best friend, Seulgi, dressed in a beautiful turquoise dress that stopped mid-thigh and showed off her collarbones perfectly. Her hair was in a bun, couple of strands falling casually on the sides and her matching turquoise heels made her a bit taller than she normally was. Seulgi was beautiful with light make up so she had opted for it once again.

 

“Well, don’t you look amazing.” Seulgi checked her out. Wendy didn’t think she was anything close to eyecatching. The suit she was wearing was just plain black. She had white shirt under it and she was wearing black heels. The only fancy thing was probably the bow she had that was made of Swarovski diamonds. It was made specifically for the occasion and to match her platinum blonde hair. Light make up to show off her eyes and a beautiful color lipstick on her plump lips. Nothing too fancy.

 

She shrugged. “I tried my best. I see you did too.”

 

Seulgi’s smile fell off her face. Well it was quite hard to pretend on days like this and they both have had enough of it. 

 

Wendy stepped out after taking her small purse. “C’mon, we have to be there early to practice.”

 

And she closed the door after her, grabbing Seulgi’s hand to lead her to the hall.

 

-

 

“Wow, this is so beautiful.” Yeri has had joined them at the entrance with her beautiful long purple dress and now she was looking around the reception hall with sparkly eyes. Wendy smiled a little.

 

The round tables were all covered in beautiful purple, in the middle of every table a vase with beautiful tulips in yellow and purple were sitting on each, every table clearly made for no more than six people. The plates were white with flowers on them. Tulips again. It was clear tulips were the theme. The hall itself was in purple and yellow colors, beautifully matching everything around it. The contrast between things was evident and you could tell from a far whoever did it, was really good at it. 

 

“Thank you.”  Both girls turned to Wendy to look at her. She decided to clear it up. “I did the whole organization and decoration.” The girls eyes were full with sadness. 

 

“Wendy-“ 

 

But before Seulgi can even say something Wendy stopped her. “She asked me and I couldn’t say no. After all she knows this is what I do.” Wendy laughed and if it was someone else they’ll probably fall for it but Seulgi and Yeri knew that laugh was full of pain. “I organize weddings.” 

 

Before any of her friends can reply someone from the other side screamed. “Wendy, Seulgi, Yeri come on it’s time to rehearse the wedding song.” It was Chanyeol who waved his drum sticks. 

 

With a heavy sigh Wendy fixed her bow and lead the way to the little stage in the middle of the hall.

 

-

 

The order was the following. Left to right. Sehun, dressed in a dark blue suit with his hair cut short, pink shirt under and a red tie. Next to him, Wendy with hands in front of her waiting and then Joy. The other bride. The lucky one. A space was left and then it was Seulgi, holding a box in her hand, same as Wendy and next to Seulgi was Suho. Her brother.

 

The music started playing. The indicator that the bride was going to enter soon and Wendy closed her eyes for one last time taking a deep breath before she opened them again. Just on time as the big hall door opened and then she entered. 

 

The love of her life entered the hall, wearing the most beautiful white dress ever, a dress Wendy always imagined seeing her in. A ball goun type of dress with the top of it sparkling and she was holding a beautiful bouquet in her hands. Her hair was falling down her shoulders in little waves and a beautiful veil on her head. She was ethereal. Joohyun was always ethereal in Wendy’s eyes. And here she was walking down the aisle looking as the most beautiful woman ever and Wendy wasn’t the lucky one who would marry her.

 

She barely kept her tears but it was all her own fault. Because she was a coward and Joy wasn’t. Because Joy took a chance Wendy was scared of taking. And now Joy was going to marry Joohyun and Wendy wanted to be happy for her friends. She really did want. But here she was, standing right next to the other bride and she just couldn’t. Seeing Joohyun right now broke her already broken heart on many more pieces.

 

The song stopped just when Joohyun joined the line and turned front when her dad left. Wendy looked at Seulgi and she could see her struggling to hold her tears too. 

 

The priest cleared his throat. “On this beautiful day we have all gathered to unite two beautiful women into one. To witness a new family coming to life.” He smiled and looked at the two women in front. 

 

“Park Sooyoung.” He looked at his right, holding the bible in his hand. “Do you take Bae Joohyun as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

 

The whole hall was silent. “I do.” Park Sooyoung replied, a small smile on her face. She nodded her head and Wendy handed her the ring she put on Joohyun’s finger. Wendy couldn’t watch so she just kept her eyes looking straight. 

 

The priest turned to his left, looking at the slightly shorter woman before he spoke again. Wendy was barely even listening. 

 

“Bae Joohyun.” The woman nodded, holding her bouquet tightly. “Do you take Park Sooyoung as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

 

The silence that followed was longer than the previous one. “I do.” Joohyun finally replied, turning to her right and taking the ring from Seulgi’s hands, smoothly pitting in on Joy’s hand.

 

“With the powers given me by God and the church, with the right of reading your vows later on, I, priest Joshua Brown, pronounce you as wives. You may kiss.”

 

And the whole hall errupted in applause as the two girls kissed. It was a happy day for them, but it wasn’t for Wendy.

 

-

 

“And now, I invite the new family on the dance floor as me and my friends perform the congratulatory song for them.” Wendy spoke into the mic. “Park Sooyoung and Park Joohyun, please step in.” She pointed at the floor. 

 

The two girls smiled as they stepped in. “We are so happy for you two." Wendy started her speech, the two girls standing in front of the stage looking at her. “We have seen you go through everything and to be able to witness today is such a privilege. We wish you nothing but moments filled with happiness. And whenever you need us, we will be right here to support you.” She smiled at them. She was used to fake smiles. “And as we promised you, here is a song for you, from us.” A piano started playing. “This is Paul Kim, Me after You.”

 

Joy hugged Joohyun as they started swaying a little, Wendy closing her eyes while singing because it hurt. And it could be heard in her voice, so raw, almost cracking. She opened her eyes and she saw Joohyun looking at her. She was looking over Joy’s shoulder, straight at her and Wendy just threw her a small smile. It was all she could do. After all she had her chance with Joohyun and she wasted it. 

 

The love of her life was dancing with someone else right now because she was too scared back then. Too scared to take that step. So Joohyun found someone who was ready for it. Someone who was ready to cherish her and was ready to show her off to the whole world. 

 

So Wendy closed her eyes and sang the last notes of the song before she opened her eyes and received applause, bowing a little.

 

-

 

“Wendy.” It was an hour later and Wendy was drinking champagne at her seat whole everyone else was dancing on the dance floor. She wasn’t much of dancer anyway. She looked up and saw her. Joohyun got closer and sat down at the chair next to her. 

 

“Hello!” Wendy tried to sound cheerful. “You look beautiful.”

 

Joohyun shook her head. “Thank you.” And then silence.

 

“Look-“

“Wend-“

 

They both spoke at the same time. Wendy laughed a little. Good old times. 

 

“The bride may speak first.” Wendy gestured with her hand.

 

Joohyun looked at her. “Thank you for singing at my wedding.” Her eyes spoke of sincerity.

 

Wendy looked back at her. “I promised you didn’t?” She titled her head. “I’d say I always keep my promises but that would be a lie.” She laughed a little, even if it wasn’t funny.

 

“I know you did.” Joohyun started. “But-“

 

“But it was a promise for our wedding. I know.” Wendy spoke. She took a deep breath before she spoke again. “Look Joohyun. I know why are you here but honestly it’s all good. At the end I’m happy you found someone who cherish you in a way I couldn’t back then.” Wendy smiled. “So for me to sing at such a special day for you, is a pleasure.” 

 

Joohyun didn’t say anything. She just put her hand over Wendy’s and smiled. “I hope when the day comes you let me sing at your wedding.”

 

And even tho it hurt, it really did, Wendy smiled. “As I doubt it will ever, I will sure keep the spot for you.”

 


A/N: something short and gloomy just because the day today is gloomy and i felt like breaking some hearts. enjoy it, comment and share your thoughts.