Introductions (2/3)

The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

Sana was trying to turn down another confession without making the other guy angry. This happened very regularly, with girls too, but they were more understanding and tended to cry rather than punch him. It was hard, but he could always count on Sooyoung to take him to the nurse’s office when he did get his kicked. The football captain was great friends with the transferee, having saved the awkward japanese from a serious beating he was about to get from the senior the second day of freshman year.

 

One thing about Sana, he was a very caring, lovable and expressive young man, his parents were modern hippies and he was raised to be honest and in tune with his feelings. That meant he was really nice, understanding and completely oblivious of how his actions would be interpreted by those on the receiving end of his affections (that was just about everybody, really). Sure, both parents were some kind of computer wizards wanted by all the big corporations, but hippies all the same. And Sana was just great all around, he would always smell grassy, his friends found out that his dad made their own natural herbal soap, and that was where the oddly pleasing smell came from. 

 

Sooyoung was one of the very few who was never interested in Sana that way, he had an arranged marriage waiting for him to be of age for it to happen, so he never really indulged in any relationships of the romantic nature. He was a very loyal fella, would never hesitate to stand up for what he thought was right and would not compromise his values for anyone, when he saw the frightened and clueless japanese freshman, who barely spoke the language and wasn’t understanding why he was about to get his arm broken he just had to do something. Doing something got him a best friend for life, the best friend who would be his moral support and the first one to follow him without questions in times of need.

 

The other one who will never hesitate to come to Sooyoung’s aid no matter what was Seulgi, ⅓ of the football stars along with Seungwan and Sooyoung themselves. The three bonded as the only freshmen who got into the team in their year and were bound to suffer together. You know, those who suffer together stay together kind of thing. No? Alright. Yeri, the teachers’ worst nightmare, was Seulgi’s object of affection, who thought he was dating Chaeyoung because the two spent most of their time together. Chaeyoung and Yeri were a case of misunderstood relationship status as well, but in their case Chae’s showed everyone soon enough they were really just friends, their past relationship had been a good experience but was left behind by both.

 

Son Chaeyoung was Seungwan’s younger brother, he was a very passionate boy and never shied away from his feelings, meaning, he would dive into things head first and think about it after. That also meant he gave a chance to everyone who approached him, if he was available, that is, cheating was a big no no and he was never one to play with others feelings he just valued them all and wanted to at least give them a chance. If things didn’t work, they didn’t work and that was that. Nobody he ever got with held any kind of ill feelings towards him, they’d always say he was honest and gave things a chance, it was unfortunate that it didn’t work out, but they parted in great terms, most remained friends with him.

 

“Sacchan, what happened this time?” Sooyoung asks after dragging a very bruised friend to the nurse’s office, again. It was the third time this week.

 

“I don’t know. I never even met that guy. He just walked up to me and told me to never talk to his girl again.”

 

“Oh.” The captain isn’t really surprised, just tired. “I’ll call mrs Kim to patch you up, just sit there and wait for me.”

 

Another common occurrence, Sana is nice to a girl, she falls for him and the boyfriend finds out, gets angry and takes it out on him who doesn’t even understand why he is getting beat. The fact that Sana grew up being taught that when people are violent it’s because they can’t express themselves any other way, so he should try and be understanding in those times. Today, however, Sana is met with a new face as the door opens to a smaller boy, holding his hand in a bloody handkerchief and looking very pale. He is on his feet immediately, helping this bleeding boy to the bed and telling him the nurse is coming.

 

Chaeyoung didn’t think he would find an angel in the form of a greek god when he went to the nurse’s office, after cutting his hand during the crafts club meeting. This guy helped him to the bed despite being very clearly wounded himself, maybe even more than Chaeyoung, but there was blood and his stomach was turning so give him a break. He was certain this angel was the one he had been looking for, and that was how he decided this man was the man he was going to marry. Dramatic, maybe, but that’s Son Chaeyoung, sentiment driven to a fault and never backed away from feelings, both his and the other party's.

 

The nurse gets back to Sana holding a trash can for Chaeyoung to drop his stomach’s contents in, and is very grateful for the unfortunate boy who was sporting a purple eye already. She patches up the cub and gives him something for his stomach just so she could get that out of the way already and treat her most frequent visitor. Sooyoung had explained everything on their way back, she had also witnessed the harassment a few times herself too, and could just pray for the boy to be safe and patch him up to the best of her abilities and try to make things easier.

 

Sana had a purple eye and a busted lip, courtesy of the two punches that other boy had thrown at him, for whatever reason it might have been. Honestly, Sana never knew what he did for things to get so complicated, he was just being himself as a decent and pleasant human being, next thing he knew he was being confessed to, screamed at, and sometimes beaten up. Not that he couldn’t fight back, he was 2nd dan in iaijutsu, he just didn’t appreciate beating others up without reason or need like they did to him. The principal was very thankful and equally confused by this stance, but wasn’t about to say anything if things were resolved rather easily every time, the teachers and the nurse were the ones advocating justice for Minatozaki.

 

“You alright, Sacchan?” Mina calls from the door, he had just got the message and bolted to the nurse’s office.

 

“Micchan!” Sana winces. “I’m gonna be alright. Sooyoungie helped me here and mrs Kim already gave me something for the pain.”

 

“I was very worried when I got a text from Soongie saying you were hurt again.” Mina proceeds softly.

 

“I know, and thank you for worrying.” Sana speaks just as softly. They were always very calm with each other. “But it’s alright, I’m sure it’s just another misunderstanding.”

 

Watching those two soft boys talking to each other, and Mina caressing his best friend’s head with so much care, one would never think they were both highly trained killing machines, both from traditional martial arts families. Sana was iaijutsu and Mina was third dan in jujutsu, they could kill anyone with their thumb, and anyone who knew this about them wondered how these two never had been seen fighting back against anyone. Sooyoung himself was very impressed and equally intimidated when Sana had invited him to the Myoui estate for the first time, Mina lived in a big house with a private dojo, watching him spar (playfully) with Sana showed the captain that those two were really better off not angered.

 

“How about we take you both home?” Sooyoung offers, breaking the moment.

 

“Don’t you have practice?” Mina was confused.

 

“It’s alright, I’ll have Seul and Joonie take over for the day. I’m worried about Sacchan and I know you two came here by bike. I’m not allowing him to exert himself after being hurt like that.”

 

“When you put it like that, I can’t let Sacchan ride back either.” Mina agrees. “Thank you Soongie.”

 

“It’s what best friends do. Now, I’m going to get his bag and switch the books. Can you keep him company for me?” Mina just nods and Sooyoung leaves.

 

Chaeyoung was thoroughly entertained by the exchange. He knew Mina, and never really saw him be this caring about anyone, except Nayeon, that is, speaking of which, he burst through the doors wailing about being worried his baby was going to die, before jumping into the bed and hugging Sana tightly, or as tight as the injuries allowed. Now this was something worth witnessing, the not-couple couple were known for never getting too intimate with others, and here they were, coddling Sana like he was their own child. These people were worth befriending, Chaeyoung decided, and the fact that his new love interest was among them was a bonus. But now he needed the trash can again.

 

“Guys!” The smaller boy called. “Can someone hand me that trash can right now!”

 

Sana sprung from his bed and was just in time too. Nayeon was a bit disgusted and Mina moved to take over, telling his best friend to go back and lay down again. Both were really nice like that, which made liking them so easy and rewarding. Another reason for those close to them to become livid when any of the two was being mistreated. Who could hate these two fluffy balls of positivity and keep a clean conscience, even!

 

“Well, boys you can go home now.” Mrs Kim tells her two patients, then turns to Sana. “I’m writing you off tomorrow as well, so just stay home and rest.” She hands him a slip and goes to the other kid. “And you, just have a good night's sleep, remember to eat something even if you don’t feel like it.” 

 

“Thank you, mrs Kim.” Sana, Mina and, surprisingly, Nayeon say to the nurse at the same time. 

 

“Alright, now move along, all of you. I have a date with my husband tonight and I’m not about to be late.” The woman laughs, she saw Sana and his friends so much she considered them her nephews now.

 

“We’ll go. But wear the blue dress with the black closed shoes, they make you look younger and do wonders for your S line.” Sana says as he hugs the nurse who always takes such good care of him. He’s been in her office so much they even talked date outfits for the woman regularly.

 

“Will do. Do you have someone to help you home, mr Son?” She notices that Chaeyoung is having difficulty standing up.

 

“We can take him home.” Nayeon offers, then turns to the small boy. “If you are okay with that, I mean.”

 

“I would like that, thank you.” The very nauseated cub agrees. “I might need a couple of bags or a trash can for the journey, though.”

 

Mrs Kim and the other boys chuckle, and the nurse hands him some barf bags for the journey. Sooyoung had been waiting by the door, holding Sana’s bag, already prepared to leave, there was a new companion, it seemed. But it’s alright, Nayeon might seem like the toxic and prideful alpha male but he is really a sweetheart, very caring and attentive to others in need. One of the reasons Mina fell for him so easily, not that the quiet boy would ever let him know, nobody would hear the end of it.

 

“I’m Im Nayeon, these are Park Sooyoung, Myoui Mina and Minatozaki Sana.” Nayeon introduces, helping Chaeyoung walk and pointing to the others. “It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“Son Chaeyoung.” His voice is very hoarse. “Thank you for the help.”

 

“No problem. You need to get your bag and your books, right?” Mina asks. “We’ll help you out.”

 

“Thanks. My bag is at the crafts clubroom, but I’ll need to get some books in my locker before heading home.”

 

“Then to the crafts club we go.” Nayeon agrees. “Hey, Soongie! Can you handle Sacchan alone? Mina and I are helping Chae get his things and take him home.”

 

“Sure I can. We’ll talk later.” Sooyoung dismisses the others. “Good luck, kids.”

 

And they leave Mina and Nayeon to care for the sick boy. Sooyoung, just as the couple, knows Sana should get home as fast as possible, keeping him up like this might just make things worse. And it’s not like any of them could leave the new kid alone either, he was looking dead. So they parted ways, the path to the Minatozaki house was known by Sana’s friends, he got into so much trouble that they all got used to taking him home, the way was like second nature to them. At the crafts clubroom, Nayeon, Mina and Chaeyoung arrived at the meeting still happening, drawing curious looks to the odd group.

 

“I thought you two had already gone home?” Yeri greets them by the door, looking very confused as to why the couple was accompanying his friend when he definitely saw them leave earlier.

 

“Hey Yermmie!” Nayeon greets warmly, they knew each other and the eldest had a weird fondness for the younger one. “We did, but Soongie messaged Mina when we were waiting for the bus, so here we are.”

 

“Oh, Sana got beat up again?”

 

“Sure did. Nurse Kim gave him the day off tomorrow, but I’m sure auntie will take him to the hospital as soon as Soongie starts talking.”

 

“Well, at least we know Sacchan will be taken care of. Now, Chaengie, you look like the dead.”

 

“I feel worse, though. There was just so much blood.” Chaeyoung manages to croak out.

 

“I’m guessing you two are taking him home?” Yerim asks. “I’ll get his bag, just a sec.”

 

Nayeon and Mina move the dying boy to a bench on the other side of the hallway, too lazy to get into the clubroom and have to talk to the teacher. Yerim is back soon, holding a white bag completely bedazzled, must be Chaeyoung’s bag alright. The three talk for a while, but the little one is just fighting to not spill whatever remained in his stomach at that point, then he feels himself being hoisted up on both sides. 

 

Yeri had texted Nayeon the address, seeing his friend was down for the count, so the not-couple couple didn’t bother to force conversation and risk making the boy throw up again, it would be the third time during their journey and Nayeon was just not about that life at all. Mina was being the angel he is, and patiently helped the sick guy out and soothed his not-boyfriend whenever a barf bag made an appearance. Thankfully, Chaeyoung’s house was just a ten minute ride, and the bus driver was nice enough to help them sit the boy at the front, it was just easier on everyone involved