A Change of Heart

In My Heart ♥️ - A ChanSoo Fanfiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo’s eyes fluttered open, taking longer than a moment for his vision to appropriate itself.

 

Is this heaven? He thought groggily, wide gaze blinking up to a white ceiling that he hadn’t recognized yet. I’m not dead, am I?

 

He felt the familiar, rhythmic of a caring hand on his hair.

 

“How do you feel, jagiya?”

 

He redirected his gaze on the round eyes so much like his own, as immediate tears pooled into them. He took an excruciating exhale, and became aware of the breathing tube that was attached to his nose. There was a vertical scar now running along his sternum, but that scar had saved his life.

 

 

“Omma,” he managed to croak, as he closed his eyes at the overwhelming relief and joy washing over him. “I can breathe.”

 

He filled his lungs with oxygen again, and his new heart was aiding the other organ to do so. It felt... wonderful.

 

“I can breathe,” he wept softly, incessant tears flowing now to his cheeks, as his parents sobbed in happiness by his side, squeezing his arms gently and kissing his forehead.

 

He vaguely heard doctors and the nurses excitedly congratulating his family. The entire medical team who had helped him during his 10-month stay in the hospital, who had become family to him as well, tried their very best to extend his life in every way possible, until finally he matched with a donor—a young woman, the same age as him, who recently passed away from leukemia in the same hospital. He underwent surgery immediately, as the heart he was born with was enlarging at an alarming rate. Kyungsoo and his parents weren’t optimistic that he would live to see his 20th birthday.

 

If everything went well, and this first day gave him so much hope that it would, Kyungsoo could look forward to celebrating it in two weeks.

 

“Saranghae, adul,” Kyungsoo heard his father whispering to him, as his father’s lips pressed on his hairline.

 

“Saranghaeyo,” he whispered back, as he slipped into a cloud of worry-free dreams, of the possibility of having a future, of someone holding his hand.

 

This hand—which was much bigger than his that it was totally dwarfed by it—that his fingers interlaced with.  Kyungsoo strained to see the face of the person, but it was blurred by the bright sun that it hurt Kyungsoo’s eyes to even look up.

 

So he kept his gaze low, until he was staring at their feet. The other person had a much bigger shoe size than him, too.

 

It was no surprise. Due to his illness, Kyungsoo never really grew that much from 15 years old, when he was first diagnosed with severe heart failure. He felt like everyone was stronger, taller and bigger than him, even his mother.

 

And the other set of feet were in sneakers, too. The shoe size was too large to belong to a girl... unless it was a really tall yeoja...

 

He didn’t know where they were heading. All Kyungsoo knew was that he felt safe and comfortable in this other person’s company, and that he wanted nothing more than to keep spending time with them, whoever they were.

 

And even if he didn’t know the person’s name, he found himself saying, “I love you.”

 

The sun above them became even more blinding, as he felt the other person beam at him, and smile, and take his hand to bring to their lips for a kiss...

 

 

Three days later, Kyungsoo was brought in a special unit where he would have to stay for a couple more months for post-surgery care. He would do rehabilitation, biopsies as needed, be introduced to immunosuppressants (for the new heart not to be rejected by his body) and other medical tests. Even if Kyungsoo had lived in the hospital for almost a year now, he didn’t mind.

 

As long as he was alive, and feeling good and healthy, that was all that mattered to him.

 

His parents appeared rested and calm for the first time in five years, ever since his mother quit her restaurant job to take care of him full time and his father was working remotely from the hospital and going on site as head engineer only when necessary. Everything seemed to be working out to his favor, and everyone was going out of their way to support his family with all they could.  His parents couldn’t bear to be away from their youngest son, as Kyungsoo’s health scares had gotten progressively worse over the years. Seungsoo, his older brother, was also taking a break from the military to visit him.

 

When he had Skyped them from the camp, and Seungsoo saw his dongseang’s happy hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter