001: A Stranger

United Souls [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1

 

I stumbled on my weak feet multiple times, shivering in the cold. The rain was pouring heavily, I couldn't see properly, but I kept moving, trying to locate that familiar voice calling out to me. It was a dark narrow road with dead leaves everywhere, smoke seemed to cover the entire long lonely road. It almost seemed impossible for me to make it ahead, but I couldn't stop either.    I kept pushing forward, my white gown was stuck to my body, my hair all messy and wet, it dripped the cold water into my eyes.    "Byeol." The deep dry voice called out again. It was louder this time around, the urge to reach out to the owner of the voice was too strong. It felt as if a strong string was pulling me forward, the force was too strong, overpowering my will.   I willingly pushed my way through the heavy wind, walking towards the unseen person, as if I was being controlled. All I wanted was to meet that man, the owner of the voice, but suddenly, a blue lightning struck across the sky.   It lasted for a while, but in a matter of seconds, a dark lightning struck across the sky and became tangled with the blue. It appeared as if both lightning were fighting for dominance.    I was enraptured by fear, chills overwhelmed me, however, it didn't stop me from walking forward. I kept on following the sound of the voice until a bright shining light clouded my vision, preventing me from seeing a single thing.

 

I blinked my eyes open in fear, I was enveloped in sweat. The room was dark, only the sound of the night awol crying was all I could hear.

 

It was a dream. The same dream I've always had since I was a child. It always keeps hunting me like a ghost hunting down its killers. 

My breathing wasn't steady, I was still so scared of the dream despite having this dream almost all my life.

 

I stood up and walked towards my small window, staring at the sky. It was indeed so beautiful. The stars were so pretty tonight, like a little kid, I stayed up all night, watching the stars till they eventually faded away and became bright.

 

Watching the sunrise every morning was like ing a dagger into my heart. For normal people waking up every morning was a thing of joy, but in my case, it was otherwise. 

I've always wished a new day wouldn't come if that was even possible.

 

I stood by the window, watching the birds flying, for a moment I found myself envying those little creatures. Compared to me, the birds are more lucky than I would ever be.

They had what I've always wished for. They have the freedom to explore new things, to be happy, and to experience care.

 

I've always been locked up in the four corners of my father's house as a  prisoner, there was no escaping. I realized it was my fate, and I've accepted it.

 

"Byeol!" The harsh voice of my father calling made me shiver in fear. I wrapped my quivering hands around my pale body to keep myself together. It's a new day, I was certain only bad things awaited me.

 

I rushed down to the living room, only to be met with his glare. He has always been angry with me, there was never a day he showed me love or care.

 

"Yes sir, good morning." I greeted with my head bowed down in respect. My heart was beating rapidly, praying that the task for the day wouldn't be too rigorous, painful, and stressful.

 

"You're coming with me to the company to serve meals and drinks. You have to behave, or else you know what's coming your way." His tone was deep and dry. He had this scary look in his eyes, the look I know too well. I nodded quickly, I felt fear almost encamping around me.

 

"Yes sir. I will do as you've said." I was still bowing my head, I dare not look at him when talking, or else I'd be dead.

 

"Go clean up the house and get ready, we're leaving by 9:30." He stood up and walked out of the living room.

 

Once he was out of sight, I heaved a deep sigh and stood straight before glancing at the clock. There was still time to get the house clean. 

 

I decided to start by preparing breakfast. Pasta would be great, my father doesn't complain about it. I bent over to collect one of the pots, but a familiar pain around my lower abdomen made me realize that I was having my period.

 

I rushed back to my room and pulled out my drawer, but it was empty. I've exhausted my sanitary pads, nothing left to use, and no money to get a new one. The last time I got one was with the little allowances my father gave me once every two months.

 

A heavy sigh fell from my quivering lips in frustration. "Of all days, why must it be today?" 

 

I've always had issues when it comes to buying important stuff like my underwear and sanitary pads. It has always been so difficult for me to ask my father for money ever since my mother left him and got remarried due to his wicked doings.

 

I bit my bottom lip, thinking about what to do, and then I suddenly recalled that I still had some leftover tissue paper in the bathroom. That will do for now, after all, I couldn't afford to get the pads, it was the best option at the moment.

I made use of it, at least it's better than none.

 

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I managed to clean the house just in time despite my painful stomach cramps. When done, I had a warm bath and replaced the previous tissue paper with a new one. I got dressed for the meeting, I can't afford to keep him waiting.

 

"Byeol don't keep me waiting, you know what happens when you do that, do you." My father's yelling voice made my heart skip in fear. I swallowed hard before rushing down to the living room.

 

My cramps have always been so painful, such pain requires relaxation, but I've never experienced that in my life except at night when sleeping.

 

"I'm set, sir." I stuttered, but he shook his head in total disappointment.

 

"Don't do anything stupid to disgrace me. My new business partner, Mr. Byun Baekhyun, just returned from the States two months ago. I don't want him complaining about your services. Is that clear?" His tone was harsh and loud as he spoke.

 

"Yes sir," I replied fearfully but mistakenly looked him in the eyes. He got angry, and delivered a hard slap to my face, sending me straight to the floor.

 

The room began to spin, I felt tears streaming down my eyes. It wasn't something new, he had always hit me whenever it pleased him. It was more like his favorite thing to do. 

 

"How dare you look at me? Are you insane?" He yelled at me without showing any single pity.

 

"You're lucky that I'm in a happy mood, you worthless animal. Get up this instant and come with me, I'm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter