Chapter Thirteen

Can I Stay?

Hyukjae slept in his apartment that night. He can take his things tomorrow but tonight, he feels better to sleep in his own apartment. Hyukjae palms his face for the countless times that night. He didn’t know for how long it has been for him to just looking at the beautiful ring in his hand.

Hyukjae didn’t cry but everyone can notice his frustration just by looking at his face. He puts aside the thought of spending the night with his wine. No, he has two important meetings tomorrow and a lot of reports to be checked and he knows he can’t deal with the dizziness afterwards.

Letting out a huff, he takes the ring and open one of his drawer. He takes out the small blue velvet box and open it. Inside the box, there is another ring with a similar design. His ring.

Hyukjae puts the ring beside his and close it. He is so tempted to call Donghae now but he knows Donghae won’t pick up. Maybe he has to go earlier tomorrow to talk with the man. Hyukjae sighs, looking around his room and finds it suddenly weird. Donghae’s sad face keeps on haunting him and it urges a new feeling that called guilty.

But is it right for him to feel that?

On the other side, Donghae staring blankly to the picture across him. With a pale face, he keeps asking himself if he has done something right. All the decision have been done without him asking anyone at the first place. He didn’t talk about this sudden move to his mom or Hyukjae’s parents, didn’t even ask Sora or his brother for their opinion, didn’t even tell Ryeowook.

He looked at the bump where his babies are moving but not making him feel uncomfortable. The babies were just wanted to tell their dad that he has both of them who will always by his side. Donghae rubbed his tummy and wipes another new tears. The worries coming back but nothing he can do. Donghae can predict some people might say his decision is too sudden and sounds so stupid but for him, this is the right time.

He doesn’t want to live in a bubble where he has Hyukjae in every single spot of the house. Although he lets Hyukjae to sleep in his apartment later, it will be different from staying in their house. Donghae knows Hyukjae must be confused but this is for the best. For the sake of themselves.

He rented the new apartment using his own saving eventhough it’s hard for him. The new apartment is not as pretty as this house. It’s nothing compare to this house but at least, it will be a good start for his heart and mind.

He doesn’t want to imagine how his mom, Hyukjae’s family, Jongwoon, and Ryeowook would react after he told them about this. Maybe he will disappoint them but he is sure and won’t change his mind anymore. He has been telling himself that he doesn’t do anything wrong for the past hours so he won’t easily back down.

Donghae gazes at his clock and finding out that it isn’t too late for him to call his mom. It’s been a while since the last time he called her. He really misses his mom and wants to hug her so bad. Rubbing his tummy, he places his phone to his left ear and waits until his mom’s warm voice greets him.

“M-mom, are you busy?”

“No. I just got back from mini mart with your auntie.” The woman giggles a bit before mumbling, “Why?”

Donghae lowered his head and feeling the babies kick him again. All the emotions mixed when he said, “I have something to tell you but I afraid you will be mad.” His voice becomes weak on every single words.

“Son,” He can hear how his mom becomes concern and worry. “Just talk. I will hear you.”

Donghae is sure if his mom is in front of him now, he will cry in her arms. Inhaling the fresh air, he started to spill everything out. From how he found out the babies started growing inside his tummy months ago, how he didn’t want to tell anyone except Ryeowook, how he feels insecure everytime people watching him, how the morning sickness sometimes making him felt nothing but want to rest all day, how the babies growing inside his tummy, how Hyukjae’s family found out about it, and when Hyukjae finally knew. He didn’t forget to slip ‘sorry’ everytime he explained it, afraid if his mom upsets.

But the calm voice from his mom making his surprised more.

“I had known it, Son. I knew it from Hyukjae’s mom,” Mrs Lee chuckled a little but continue, “I understand why you didn’t want to talk about it to me. You must be thought that I’m busy and you didn’t want to make me overthink about your condition. Although I was a bit upset, but I’m also happy because Hyukjae’s mom always sent me message about your condition and the ultrasonography pictures. I choose to let it be eventhough I want to hug you and rubbing your tummy.”

Donghae sighing but feels relieved. Of course, he should have expected that Hyukjae’s mom has told his mom. They are best friend and always sharing not just about their sons, but talked about everything.

“At first, I wondered how many months more you’ll keep it as secret from Hyukjae and I. I was planning to come to Seoul when you reached seventh month if you keeping it from me, but now, I want to come faster.”

Donghae can feel his babies moving slowly as if they know their grandma wants to see them, it sending him to the tickling feeling but he loves it.

“I will wait for you, Mom.” He whispers and remember he haven’t told his mom about what he had done today. “I decided to move from the house I used to live with Hyukjae.” When he didn’t hear any reply come from his mom, he continues, “I want to start in a new place where our beautiful memories won’t make me hard to move on. I mean… of course it’ll be hard because I love Hyukjae but living in a place we lived together is harder for my heart.”

“Have you told Hyukjae about this?”

“I have.” Donghae staring at his fingers. It’s odd for him to find his ring finger is empty now but he is sure he can get along with it soon. “I won’t change my mind, Mom.”

“Then, I won’t to make you change your mind. Talk to Hyukjae’s family too, okay? They have to know and you have to respect them because they are really love you. Send me your address too, Son, so I can visit you later.” The woman chuckles and sighing. “I can’t wait to see your big tummy.”

Donghae snorts when his mom laughed heartily. His mom likes to and he knows it. Donghae enjoys hearing the woman’s laughter which sound so beautiful. It’s a healing for his heart today.

“I love you, Mom.”

Donghae lets his head to lean on his bedside while one hand holding his phone. They continued to chat and his mom shares such a funny stories about his brother and his apparently new crush. Donghae laughed loudly when his mom said Donghwa admires his crush like Spongebob admires his magical oyster but she knows that feeling. And Donghae understands that feeling too since he ever in Donghwa’s position.

It is such a blessing to feel loved and loving someone but it can hurt you too. Right?

 

.

.

.

 

The next morning comes faster than expected. Just like Hyukjae who comes at 8 A.M and surprised Donghae who still wearing his pyjamas but when he remembered Hyukjae left his backpack, he smiles and lets him to enter the house after stunned for a mere ten seconds. Ryeowook and Jongwoon arrived not long after that with a huge smiles when they showed two big boxes of food which Donghae sure is from Jongwoon’s mom.

“Let’s eat this together!” Ryeowook links his hand to Donghae’s and walking together to the dining table, ignoring the man who is standing not so far from them.

Jongwoon quickly grabs Hyukjae’s arm when the director wants to walk to the living room. “Are you busy this morning? I brought a lot of food. Let’s eat breakfast together before we go.”

Jongwoon holds himself from asking Hyukjae the dark circles under his eyes and his sleepy face. Maybe he slept too late because of work, he thought.

Donghae pours the smoothies he made to each glasses and sits himself in front of Hyukjae. The breakfast is filled with Jongwoon who talking about his friend’s new musical. Ryeowook will laugh when Jongwoon said funny things, Donghae will give his small smile because he doesn’t feel good sitting across from Hyukjae, and the other man… kinda spacing out? Donghae doesn’t aware about it. He kept chewing his food but sometimes he will response to what Jongwoon or Ryeowook said.

“Have you packed your things?”

The question makes the atmosphere suddenly awkward. Donghae froze in his place when Ryeowook asked Hyukjae what did he mean but on the other side, he also feels this is the right time for him to explain.

Clears his throat and sit straighter, Donghae grabs his best friend’s hand when Ryeowook looked so ready to fight Hyukjae. “I have decided…” Ryeowook turns his head to Donghae and stares at him with confused gaze. “to move out from this house. I have rented an apartment, the same building with yours, Wookie.” Donghae manages his voice to sound excited eventhough all of them just looked at him with straight face.

“I want to talk with you after this.” Ryeowook said shortly and the rest of them just keep quiet.

Ryeowook doesn’t wait for Donghae to follow him once he finished his food. He walked straight to Donghae’s room, sits himself on the bed, and crossed his arms when Donghae comes and closed the door.

“So… what he said is true? I mean… you’re…”

Donghae takes a chair and sits. He doesn’t know there will be a day where he can’t bring himself to look at his best friend’s eyes. Right now, he just stares at his lap and fingers randomly. He bites his inner cheek, trying to arrange his words.

Ryeowook exhales, knowing too well that he has intimidated his best friend. His right hand caress Donghae’s thigh softly, a gesture to comfort Donghae. When both of their eyes finally met, Ryeowook whispers, “Why so sudden? Did something happen?”

Yes. Something happened.

“Nothing. I just... I feel this is the right timing to move on.”

Ryeowook is not blind. He ables to see the sadness through Donghae’s eyes and how he forced his smile to look fine. Ryeowook is not stupid to leave that unnoticed. Even right now, Donghae is holding his tears because it’s never been easy for him. But Ryeowook is not gonna hold Donghae to stay in the house because above all, he knows Donghae manages to heal his heart and that’s a very good start.

Moreover, these past months had been hard for him and it’s not healthy for Donghae to force himself when he has his babies. Ryeowook smiles and holds both of Donghae’s shoulders and with an excited tone, he said, “I’ll support you no matter what. You know that, right?”

This is surprising for Ryeowook but in the other side, he thinks this is the best way to get out from Hyukjae’s hold. Maybe Donghae realised it’s useless to try making Hyukjae falls for him again thus he choose to give up. And if Donghae wants to give up, it means a good thing, right? The divorce will be easier and Ryeowook is more than willing to help his best friend finds his new happiness.

“This house is Hyukjae’s and too many good memories that will make me hard to forget about him.” Donghae smiles bitterly when he looked at every part of his room and his eyes stopped at their wedding picture. “And I have returned my ring to him.”

Four months more to get them back to each other.

Ryeowook curious how Heechul would react if he has known about this news. Just two days ago they’ve talked about Hyukjae and Donghae relationship but now, Donghae decided to change. Although Ryeowook isn’t really sure this is the best thing, he carreses Donghae’s tummy.

“Actually you can live in my apartment, Donghae. Why you waste your money to rent a new one.”

Donghae rolled his eyes and shakes his head. “No, I don’t want to bother you. I mean, I would love to stay with you but you also need some time for yourself.”

“Still, we can live together and I want to pamper the twin.” Ryeowook sends his best friend a teasing wink which makes Donghae laughed and hits his arm playfully.

“Don’t you have to work today?” Donghae asked.

“Day-off. That weirdo is too lucky if I always come when I literally have two days-off every month besides the weekends.”

Donghae chuckled but didn’t say anything. Ryeowook has told him about his annoying colleague who is always depends on him for work and eventhough Ryeowook doesn’t like it, he always loves to annoy his collague back to the part his colleague will cry because of his savageness. Fortunately, Jongwoon hasn’t known this or the singer would scold him. Oh well, not really scold because Jongwon is not different from whipped to his lover kind of man.

Apparently, Jongwoon has schedules that day so he left the house earlier after texting Ryeowook, leaving Hyukjae in the living room waiting for Ryeowook and Donghae. Ten minutes then, both of them go to the living room and didn’t surprise when they didn’t see Jongwoon.

Hyukjae closes the gap between he and Donghae, ignoring Ryeowook who has raised his eyebrow. He doesn’t know why he has to feel hurt when Donghae doesn’t show any sadness to him. Did he forget yesterday event? Why he looked so fine now?

“I have talked to our parents, Hyukjae.” He said calmly and manages to give a genuine smile. “They were shocked but respect my decision.” Donghae gulps and takes a breath as a way to prevent himself from explodes in tears. “I’ll start to pack my things today and will give you the key sooner.”

 

.

.

.

 

Hyukjae presses the bell for the third times. He waits patiently while fixing his coat. It’s not taking too long until Donghae showed up and flashed a smile.

“Come in.”

It is Wednesday. Time surprisingly flies really fast than he thought and it’s the day Donghae moves out from their house to his apartment and also the first time they met after almost three days being apart from each other. Hyukjae can’t help Donghae to pack all his things because he has a lot of work but other side than that reason, he can’t face the truth.

“Where’s Ryeowook?” Hyukjae asked, taking-off his shoes and change it to the comfortable slippers, and following Donghae to the living room.

“Ryeowook is working. Jongwoon hyung had helped me this morning to carry my luggage and others.” He walks to the kitchen and taking out a glass. “What do you want to drink? Coffee? Orange juice? Tea?”

“Tea. Iced tea.”

Donghae didn’t reply and just focusing himself to make the tea while Hyukjae wanders around the minimalist apartment. Yeah, it’s minimalist. There is barely many furniture and everything looked so simple and clean. The living room only has one couch, a rectangle table, and a television across the table and the right side close to the kitchen, there is dining table. There is no pictures or photos and Hyukjae would say this apartment looked empty.

“Can I see the babies’ room?” Hyukjae asked after he keeps quiet for a long time and didn’t waste his time when Donghae said yes. Donghae led him to the room and explained that his apartment has three rooms so he has prepared one room for the babies.

“I haven’t set too much but I’ll continue soon. At least, this is what their room would be like.” Donghae showed the blue mixed with white painted room. There are two small baby cribs side by side and small cupboards in the corner.

Hyukjae steps inside and looking at how Donghae arranged all the babies’ thing. He smiles when his eyes fell on the stroller and toys placed on the small table.

Hyukjae shifts his gaze to Donghae who is lowered his head with his hands on his tummy and realised he hasn’t touched and greeted their babies. Hyukjae kneels down, facing his face to the round tummy, and placing his hands on top of Donghae’s. He didn’t realise his action makes Donghae surprised.

“Hello dear babies.” Hyukjae begins. He smiles lovingly and kisses the side of Donghae’s tummy. “I wish you’re okay inside there. Don’t kick appa too much, okay?” Hyukjae chuckled when the babies giving him small kicks as reaction. The babies must be so clever, he thought.

Donghae looked at Hyukjae’s eyes, wondering what’s in Hyukjae’s mind now other than the babies. He wants to jump and sing happily since it feels like a long time he could stares his features this close but in the same time, he also feels more afraid.

“How are you?”

There are two meanings of his question. First can be interpreted as he asked Donghae about his condition and the other one is he asking their babies. Hyukjae didn’t look at Donghae and the other man gets it, the question is not for him but for their babies.

Donghae wants to squeal in happiness everytime Hyukjae touching his tummy and lovingly kiss his tummy as if he kissed the babies. This is the perfect picture of Hyukjae being a great father and Donghae can’t help himself but admiring this side of Hyukjae. Although he knows Hyukjae is still surprised with his condition and the fact that they will be parents soon, Hyukjae didn’t say bad things or swearing at him.

Both of you… must be happy to have Papa here, right?

Donghae froze in his place when suddenly, Hyukjae looked up and staring directly to his eyes. Donghae wishes time can stop so they can stay in this position longer, forgetting their condition for a while because he wants to admire those beautiful eyes and doing his routine, scanning Hyukjae’s face. Donghae wishes someone could taking their picture in this position because he –absolutely sure– needs to reminiscing this moment.

Can I stay with you longer, Hyukjae?

Although it’s just two years of marriage life and two years were short for them –at least for Donghae–, it’s still meaningfu and eventhough he didn’t hang any frame of them, he silently looking at them at night and there is no guarantee for him to not cry the whole day.

The ring from Donghae’s phone finally wakes them up. Hyukjae stands and scratching his head awkwardly while Donghae taking out his phone and pick up when he sees it’s Jongwoon who is calling him.

“Hey, Donghae! Are you busy now?”

Donghae stares at Hyukjae who is sitting on the chair with a giraffe plushie, a gift from Ryeowook. “No hyung. Why?”

“I’m planning to visit this cute museum tonight with Ryeowook but I want you to also join. I won’t let you miss this cute museum so you have to join us, okay?”

Donghae bites his bottom lip. Jongwoon always cares for him and he knows Ryeowook won’t get mad if he joins them, there were nth times Ryeowook kept asking him to follow them. It’s just that he doesn’t want to disturb them because his best friend will pay more attention to him than Jongwoon.

“Ehm… hyung, I…” Donghae started to bite his index finger and when his eyes met with Hyukjae, he quickly muttered, “Hyukjae is here. I…“ Donghae stops his word when Hyukjae raise an eyebrow and tilts his head, asking him who is he talking with in a whisper.

But the next second, he can only stuns when Jongwoon casually said, “Then, ask Hyukjae to join us. We can stroll around for one or two hours.”

Oh…

Damn.

That’s not what he thought. Donghae purposely drags Hyukjae’s name in hope that Jongwoon won’t ask him to join them because Hyukjae is visitting the babies and Ryeowook dislikes him but now… seems like his plan just out of window.

“Can I talk to Hyukjae? I’m sure he wants to join us.”

And Donghae’s wish to breath properly crashes in a pieces the moment Hyukjae smiles and nods. He didn’t feel unbother and just answered, “Of course, hyung. I would love to join. At seven? Okay, just send me the address.”

Donghae doesn’t know how he will pass the time later. He just nodded when Hyukjae said he will get ready and Donghae points to the room beside, the guest room. The fact that Hyukjae will also sleep over today didn’t make him feel any better but what can he do? Avoiding him would sound funny and childish.

 

.

.

.

 

As what he has expected, Ryeowook narrows his eyes with his arms crossed. Donghae can only sighs when Ryeowook glares at Jongwoon, who remains cool and shrugs his shoulders as if he doing nothing wrong.

“Let’s go. I have bought our tickets.” Jongwoon said and embracing Ryeowook’s shoulders. He can see Ryeowook glares Hyukjae one more time before letting his boyfriend drags him to walk in front of them and although Ryeowook has tried to whisper, it’s useless because Donghae can hear clearly what he asked.

“Kim Jongwoon, why you invite Hyukjae?! Are you crazy?!”

“Ssstt, let’s get in. I hear so many cute things inside.”

Donghae secretly glances at Hyukjae who keeping his face straight. It feels odd to walking side by side again and the fact that Donghae keeps the distance between them, it’s just emphasize how awkward they are.

Donghae looked at Jongwoon and Ryeowook, who are now looking at a beautiful picture of mountain in Japan. They used to have double date and laughing together as couples and tonight, Donghae doesn’t want anything but wishing he could keep that moment forever.

Hyukjae keeps glancing around the museum, definitely immersed with the arts inside while Donghae manages himself to make sure he isn’t doing something stupid. He can’t keep focusing on the arts eventhough he admits how pretty and cute they are. He constantly caressing his tummy, feeling the babies constantly kick.

Donghae sits himself on the bench when he feels tired. “Are you hungry now, hm? Is that why both of you kick Appa?” He giggles when the babies kicks harder and didn’t realise Hyukjae sits beside him with a worry look.

“Are you okay?”

Donghae raised his head and nods. “Yes. It’s just… both of them keep kicking me.” He chuckles lightly. Hyukjae places his hand on Donghae’s tummy, grins happily everytime the babies kick and rubs it softly. Without both of them know, Ryeowook secretly takes the picture of them and hold himself from crying because… they looked so perfect together.

Everyone could see how Donghae still in love with Hyukjae from his eyes. They would be a perfect family if only Hyukjae wants them to be. Though Donghae insists he is happy because he will have twin babies soon but deep down his heart, Ryeowook understands him more than everyone. Donghae is not smiling as wide as before.

Both of their parents have given up to make them back to each other and Ryeowook never seen Donghae as miserable as this before.

Eventually, they had dinner in a restaurant located not so far from the museum. The dinner would be so quiet if the restaurant didn’t give a nice performance –a pianist and violinist– collaboration but still, none of them saying anything. It was calm but awkward at the same moment.

After they finished their food, Ryeowook can see Donghae only wants to go back to his apartment. That night, Hyukjae also will sleep over and Ryeowook didn’t need to know how the night will be. In the end, he can’t read what’s in Hyukjae’s mind but one thing Ryeowook very sure is, the man still loves his best friend.

The secret glances and attentions couldn’t go unnoticed by his sharp eyes. He could see how Hyukjae making sure Donghae walks not too far from him, he was feeling full with the food, keeps asking him what he wanted to eat again eventhough Donghae had said he was full, and other small things they used to do as a couple.

Hyukjae is just too… slow.

He keeps acting like a great daddy who loves the babies but in the same time, he also fools himself. Ryeowook is so tempted to smack some realization but he thinks its best for him to stay quiet and sees how far Hyukjae will be a clown for himself. He wants to see in the end, Hyukjae deserves his laughter or his compliment.

“Hey, what do you think about going to grab some street snack?”

Ryeowook waken up from his thought and greeted by Jongwoon’s grins. He rolled his eyes when Jongwoon laughed, knows exactly he has won and Ryeowook will accompany him to grab some snacks he wanted. Well, although he wants to stay sulking to his boyfriend, in the end he can’t.

“Come on, you know it’s been a long time since we tasted late night snack.” Jongwoon nudged his arms using his elbow playfully.

“Damn you and your big apetite, Kim Jongwoon!”Jongwoon burst into a loud laughed when Ryeowook shook his head.

On the other side, Donghae sitting on his bed with the laptop on his lap. He gets two more projects, a nice surprise to end the month. He was about to open his drawer when a knock suddenly stops him. Hyukjae stands by the doorway with a cup in his hand.

“I made this tea for you.” Hyukjae said shortly, closed the door behind him, and walked closer to Donghae, hand him the cup. Donghae thought Hyukjae would go after that but he is wrong. Hyukjae sits himself on the bed, not beside him but near his feet. He widened his eyes when Hyukjae grabs his legs and puts it on his lap.

“What are you doing?”

Hyukjae smiles and starting to massage Donghae’s legs. “You must be tired.”

Donghae widened his eyes cause of unexpected answer. He gulped and stay in his position, doesn’t know what to say because Hyukjae seems enjoy it. But on the other hand, he knows Hyukjae doesn’t really give himself. Hyukjae does it because he is pregnant.

“Babies are so active nowadays,” Donghae breaks the silence. “I read on some articles, they said by week twenty-five, I should be feeling the babies move about thirty times an hour.” Donghae chuckles lightly, imagining how the babies will be active moving and kicking around and eventhough sometimes it hurts and feels so uncomfortable, Donghae still looking forward to that moment.

Hyukjae chuckles and keeps massaging Donghae’s legs when he muttered, “I’m excited.” He looks up to Donghae and points to his laptop. “Don’t force yourself if you’re tired. Rest is important.” And stands when Donghae just nodding.

He sighs when Hyukjae heading-off his room. Leaving him alone. He hopes they can talk more but maybe this is the best for them.

No more cuddles. No more kisses.

He is here because he cares for the babies. He is here not because he is in love with me.

He repeats those words for several times and continuing his work.

Three hours later, he decided to close his laptop because he started to feel sleepy and tired. The deadline is still long and he promises he will continue tomorrow. Just a bit more and one of his project finish.

Donghae looked at the empty cup and puts his laptop aside, taking the cup, and goes to his kitchen to wash it but his pace immediately stops as he glancing at Hyukjae, who is laying on the couch in the living room with his documents spread on the table. He didn’t take-off his glasses and for a moment, Donghae cringes at his sleep position. He is sure Hyukjae will groans once he woke up because his neck is in an uncomfortable position and he slept without any pillow.

Donghae puts his cup in the sink without washing it and rush to his room. He pulls his blanket and one of his pillow, standing for a while when he looked at a key. Eventually, he grabs it and standing beside Hyukjae. After all what Hyukjae done to him, he can’t just ignored the man. It’s sad but that’s the truth. He cares for Hyukjae and unable to stop.

So he bends down and shifts Hyukjae’s head carefully and places the pillow under his head. After that arranging his blanket to cover Hyukjae’s body. Donghae knows Hyukjae can’t sleep without air conditioner but he doesn’t want Hyukjae wakes up with a fever or cold.

Donghae was about to tidy up all the documents but he stops abruptly after an invisible alarm alerts on his mind. He doesn’t have a right to do that and what if Hyukjae gets mad at him because he messed up his work? Donghae stares at his face once again and wanna take-off the glasses but again, he thinks it’s enough to give Hyukjae a blanket and pillow. He shouldn’t went to far.

He holds himself and takes a deep breath. He didn’t think he can stop himself if he stays a bit more at there hence he abruptly puts the key beside the documents and going back to his room.

 

.

.

.

 

Hyukjae frowned when he heard a sound like someone cutting vegetables. He groans when he realised how sore his back is and open his eyes slightly. The strange ceiling and a smell of toast quickly made him sits and wanders his eyes around the room. From his place, he can see Donghae’s back. The man stands facing the stove, didn’t realise he has waken up.

Hyukjae scratches his head and sighs when the view of his messy files greets him in this early morning and he found his laptop being charged, still showing his last work. Still squinting, he moves his blanket aside and set his feet to wear the sandals and by that, he stunned. A small thing looks so shining when the sun rays touching it but Hyukjae isn’t immersed by its beauty.

Our house key.

The director looks at his lap, remembers he didn’t take any blanket nor pillow to the couch yesterday. There is no more person other than Donghae and he is sure the man did it. Hyukjae looked at Donghae who is now washing the pan. He caresses the blanket and gulps down.

Even until now, you still care for me?

“Oh, you’ve waken up?” Donghae startles and chuckles at Hyukjae’s messy hair. “I made you a bowl of ramen and strawberry smoothie.” He raised a glass of the strawberry smoothie, showing Hyukjae the delicious smoothie he has made. “When unhealthy food meets healthy smoothie.”

Hyukjae lets out a snort due to Donghae’s slight tease. He walks to the bathroom with his backpack which contains his clothes and other toiletries but before that, he peeks to the babies’ room again. He has a lot of things to add to the babies’ room in his mind so he wants to make sure once again that all the things will match to the room.

To be honest, Hyukjae doesn’t like the idea of his babies will live in an apartment. Not that he wants to judge Donghae but… isn’t apartment too small for babies? He always thought apartment only fits for one person or a few but not with babies. But he knows in this case, he has to respect Donghae’s decision.

Hyukjae brings his hand to caress the white table. The apartment didn’t fill with luxurious things. It’s more simple but behind it, Hyukjae can sense Donghae worked hard for these. His hands going to the drawer and open it, just to see how spacious it is for him to fill with clothes and sheets.

Unexpectedly, there is one thick album. He ever seen that album but it’s been a long time. Curiously, he swipes the first page and saw the letters written there.

Ultrasonography of babies ^-^

The next pages are filled with the ultrasonography pictures. He can see the progress, how the babies grew from the beginning until now and Donghae wrote the description about their condition below the pictures. There is some emotions that Hyukjae can’t describe. He didn’t follow the babies growth from the beginning yet everyone (his parents and Sora) kept telling him that he is not late.

Hyukjae accidentally moves the pages to the last when he wants to flip it to the third page. He froze seeing the small sentences written there. The familiar handwritten and the sentences just made him can’t breath properly.

In the time like this, I wish you to be here with us, Papa.

I wanna grow old with you, Hyukjae.

Hyukjae doesn’t know why but those sentences succeed to make him stiff with his heart started to pound so hard as if its ready to jump out from the place. Hyukjae glances randomly to the window and for a moment he thought, how his life will be without Donghae. There were months he lived without the man but now… divorce is different. Is he really be okay without Donghae? Are the babies will be okay to live with incomplete family? Isn’t it too bad for the babies?

Hyukjae didn’t realise how weird his expression is. He didn’t realise he has been thinking too much even when he took a shower. And he didn’t realise how his eyes narrowed when he sees Donghae laughed with another man coming to the apartment with a small bag.

“Oh, Hyukjae? This is Kyuhyun, my neighbour. He brings a lot of avocados.”

The said man smiles and bows. Showing his respect to Hyukjae.

“My name is Kyuhyun. I live across Donghae’s hyung apartment but since we haven’t introduced ourselves properly, I decided to come and never know he is very kind.” Kyuhyun chuckles when Donghae waves his hand and muttered he is too over. “I would love to be friend with both of you.”

Kyuhyun didn’t notice how Hyukjae’s eyes pierced and looked like he is ready to burn the other man alive. Hyukjae’s eyes keeps trailing both of them who keep chatting without realise how Hyukjae’s facial expression change. Eventhough Hyukjae doesn’t admit it, he actually dislikes how Kyuhyun acts like he has known Donghae for a long time and keeps joking to make Donghae laughed. And he succeed.

Luckily, Kyuhyun left the apartment fifteen minutes later and the situation back to the awkward level again. They didn’t say anything during the breakfast but when Hyukjae was about to leave the apartment, he kneels down and kissing Donghae’s tummy.

“I’ll see you soon.”

Ryeowook stays crossing his arms when he sees Hyukjae walks out from Donghae’s apartment but the director didn’t see him. Even until now, he still didn’t feel Hyukjae would go back to Donghae and changed his mind beccause Hyukjae is just… well, a fool?

He knows how stubborn Hyukjae can be and if even after these four months he still didn’t change his mind, Ryeowook can’t say anything but staying beside his best friend. He won’t be surprised if Hyukjae keeps denying his feeling and left his best friend behind but should they end just like that?

Ryeowook closed his eyes and reminds himself of the sentences he had read yesterday.

When people divorce, it’s always such a tragedy. At the same time, if people stay together it can be even worse. —Monica Bellucci

Perhaps, Hyukjae and Donghae are better to not have each other.

 

Hello!!!^^ are you boring with this chapter? Kkk, yes, I know, this is so long hahaha. In the next chapter, I'll make the time faster to make it less boring but trying to keep it in a good pace. And... You and Me will update on this Thursday ^-^ Thank you everyone who wait, subscribing, upvoting, commenting, and still reading this fic ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I'm sorry for every tears that comes out from your eyesT_T but trust me, I also got my eyes teary when I typed T_T but I think this chapter isn't that sad, right? Hahaha^-^ Last but not least, have a nice day and stay safe❤️