chapter 2 | heartbreaker

Melon Pan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    After an hour, Baekhyun was sitting on his sofa shaking his legs as he waited for Chanyeol to come down. He’s been telling himself that it meant nothing and he was just being a good neighbor. Chanyeol was a hottie, but so what? Hot didn’t mean love, hot meant Baekhyun could have fun. It meant he could get laid.

“Uhm, Baekhyun-sshi..” Baekhyun turned around to see Chanyeol coming down the stairs with the smallest towel he could get to hide his private parts. Well, this look was definitely what Baekhyun intended for. Water drops were sliding down on Chanyeol’s chest, making their way to his firm abs. It was all well and Baekhyun tried so hard not to drool over this view. “Do you have a bigger towel?” Chanyeol asked, cheeks slightly red.

“Why? This seems just fine.” Baekhyun chuckled sheepishly his eyes going up and down on Chanyeol’s well built body.

“Thanks, I guess?” Chanyeol mumbled softly before walking towards the paper bag he brought, quickly on his toes, taking out some clean clothes. It was a light gray sweatshirt with a pair of checked patterned sweatpants.

“My room is in upstairs, first door on left.” Baekhyun turned his head away as if he wasn’t erting on the boy a second ago and acted as if he wasn’t paying attention. “You can change there.”

“Thank you.” Chanyeol mumbled before taking his clothes and heading upstairs. Rubbing his temples Baekhyun’s head fell back on the couch just to come eye to eye with the old lady. 

“Aish!” He covered his mouth quickly not making any sound so that Chanyeol wouldn’t hear him. “Auntie..” He whispered slowly hands falling down on his side.

“What happened to you not eating pastries?” She spoke eyebrows knitted together while giving Baekhyun a judgmental look. “And no lovers in the house?”

“First of all,” Baekhyun whispered in the lowest tone possible, checking out the stairs once in a while making sure Chanyeol is not there. “I lied. I can’t eat those melon pans because if I do, I have to run a few miles to burn them. And secondly, he is not my lover. He is a neighbor. You were always nagging about helping neighbors, right?” Old lady sighed shaking his head side to side. Baekhyun was a clever boy, but his mind worked for mischievousness only.

“Okay okay.. Just promise you’ll bake for my Kyungsoo with the dasik recipe I gave you before.” When Seohee looked Baekhyun with pleading eyes, an innocent smile playing on her lips, young boy couldn’t argue anymore. So he had no choice but to accept her offer.

“Okay. Okay. Promise.” He mumbled and pointed the stairs as he heard Chanyeol’s footsteps. He told her to go away and turned his head away like he was playing with his phone all this time.

“Were you talking with someone?” Chanyeol came downstairs holding his dirty clothes to place them into his bag before turning back home.

“Nah, I was watching a video.” Baekhyun mumbled before checking out Chanyeol. God, he was tall, way taller than Baekhyun.

“By the way, the magazine covers on your wall... Is that you?” Chanyeol smiled scratching his neck softly. “You look hot there.”

“You think that piece of paper looks hot? Try seeing it in real life.” Baekhyun chuckled before standing up. As he was standing next to the taller one, he seemed really petite but after seeing those magazines, Chanyeol knew what he was hiding under that morning gown. Therefore, he gulped as his eyes slowly went down on Baekhyun’s body examining his features. “Want coffee? It’s decaf, don’t worry.” Just when Chanyeol started enjoying the view, Baekhyun turned back on his feet toward the grand kitchen with a mischievous smile on his lips.

“Sure. It goes well with some melon pan.” Chanyeol managed to speak after shaking his head. He placed his clothes back on the paper bag after taking out the pack of melon pans. Melon pan was a sweet Japanese pastry but lately it became famous in various Asian countries. Since Chanyeol started baking them, his bakery gained a lot of new costumers and he was grateful. He opened the pack and the sweet odor filled the room immediately. He had baked them yesterday night but since he packed them well they still managed to stay fresh.

  After a couple of minutes Baekhyun showed up with two coffee mugs on his head, the strong coffee smell beating Chanyeol’s pastries. Baekhyun placed the mugs on his coffee table and looked at the pastries with terrified eyes. He didn’t think Chanyeol would pull them out at this hour. It was almost 1 am and Baekhyun would stop eating after 7 pm because sleeping with a full stomach wasn’t good for him.

“Is something wrong?” Chanyeol asked as Baekhyun froze in his place, not even sitting down.

“Uhm- Nothing.” Baekhyun mumbled while sitting down on the couch. He took a sip of his coffee and looked at Chanyeol with curious eyes. “So you baked these?”

“Yeah. Like I told you, I own a bakery down this street. And I make the best melon pan in Seoul, I can tell you that.” Chanyeol reached for a turtle shaped melon pan and held it out for Baekhyun. Baekhyun’s mouth fell open with this offer, mostly because he was in pure fear looking at the delicious puffed pastry waiting in front of his eyes. Nonetheless, it looked cute with it’s turtle shape and the smell was fascinating also. “Did you know that even though it’s called melon pan, there is no melon inside the original recipe? Lately, some people started adding melon flavor to the modern version though.”

“I- No, I didn’t know that.” Baekhyun mumbled after clearing his throat. He didn’t wanted to be rude but damn, who cared. “Thank you for them but since it’s late I guess I’ll pass. Maybe I can save mine for the morning coffee.”

“I see, it must be hard to maintain that body.” Chanyeol murmured and put down the melon pan, he was slightly sad but still understanding. On the other hand, Baekhyun was annoyed at the idea of Chanyeol keeping that well built body even though he eats pastries at this time of the day. How did he manage to keep that body while working in a bakery? Wasn’t it so hard?

“Yeah..” Baekhyun mumbled. It was hard, he wasn’t going to lie for this one. He worked really hard for that body and he was thankful every time he saw himself in the cover of magazines.

“How did you become a photo model for.. adult magazines though? Was it your dream?” Chanyeol looked curious about Baekhyun’s career but the smaller wasn’t so hyped about the topic. Not that he didn’t like it, he loved his current job and he loved thinking there are people drooling over how y he is, in this world. However, becoming an adult magazine model wasn’t his real goal when he first started. He actually wanted to be an idol when he was younger, he trained for that many years.

“Well, not exactly. But I like it. And people like me, which I think is the most important.” Baekhyun shrugged while sipping on his coffee. There was no need to cry about his life story to a stranger at the moment. He had the old lady for that.

“No doubts about that.” Chanyeol held his hand up as if he was surrendering and laughed. He had to admit, Baekhyun was the most beautiful man he has seen. He had a unique vibe, cute yet y. Not everybody could pull both of them well.

“You seem like you are trying to flirt with me, a lot.” Baekhyun chuckled sending Chanyeol a smug look which made the taller look down with a shy smile while his cheeks turning slightly pinkish. Anyways, Chanyeol was exactly that type of a guy that would flirt with people not hiding any of his attraction. But he was also a goofy shy guy when everything turned into a serious thing. Because of this, his heart would easily break every time. Therefore, he had to slow down this time. Baekhyun didn’t seem interested in Chanyeol anyways.

“I was being friendly.” He laughed off, taking a sip of his coffee. “Oh, this is delicious!” He mumbled looking at Baekhyun with his rounded eyes which made Baekhyun smile slightly.

“Since you interrupted my beauty routine and sleeping schedule, you owe me.”

“What do I owe you?” Chanyeol curiously asked placing his mug on the coffee table. There was a moment of silence and then Baekhyun mumbled as if he was thinking for a while.

“Stay the night and watch Running Man with me. It’s my guilty pleasure.” Baekhyun shrugged softly while standing up so he could bring his laptop downstairs.

“What’s guilty about Running Man, though? It’s the best show!”

“Then I am taking it as yes.” Baekhyun ran to the second floor and took his computer where a Running Man episode was open already. He rushed into the living room, placing his laptop on the coffee table. “Okay, choose one: Episode 256 or Episode 135.”

“Why them?”

“Because 2PM is the guest for episode 256 so enough eye candy for everybody. And for 135, guests are Jackie Chan and Siwon from Suju; both legends.” Baekhyun explained with a smile on his face. He would watch his favorite episodes again and again all the time because he had already watched every episode available.

“Let’s go with 135 then, enough eye candy for me tonight.” Chanyeol chuckled sending Baekhyun a wink as a joke but it came up more playful than he expected so his face became blank after a second.

“Park Chanyeol, I swear you are trying too hard.” Baekhyun chuckled while opening the episode Chanyeol chose. They relaxed on the sofa, laughing occasionally to some funny puns. It was a fun night, Baekhyun enjoying a friend for the first time in years.

 Even after finishing the episode they kept watching others and talking about their favorites on the show. Chanyeol was a good guy, it reminded Baekhyun of his trainee times back when he had a lot of good friends. But now, he only had Kyungsoo and it was because of the old lady. They weren’t much of a close friends anyways. He didn’t blame nobody though, nobody but himself. Because he was the one who pushed everybody around  him away.

 As time passed and the sky painted into pastel pink color, two of them had stopped watching Running Man. They were just talking about casual things, both sleepy as their eyelids were fighting with their brain to close down. Soon both of them surrendered to sleep, making themself comfortable on the sofa with the small blanket Baekhyun put on. The colors of the sky kept changing; first a dark orange, then a bright yellow and finally back on pastel colors starting with light blue. Clouds were up but it seemed like it was going to be a warm day. A soft summer breeze was swaying the plants outside of Baekhyun’s garden as the old lady watched outside trying not to look in the direction of the other’s. It was close to afternoon and the house never been so peacefully quiet at these hours until today. Soft murmurs escaped Baekhyun’s mouth as he turned around on the sofa only to bump into the well built body of Chanyeol. His eyes wide opened with the realization and he backed off quietly. His body shivered as soon as he left Chanyeol’s warm embrace. He rose up on his feet and quietly head up to the kitchen, not making any sound so that Chanyeol doesn’t wake up.

“Good morning.” The old lady welcomed him sitting on the kitchen counter, this time not surprising Baekhyun since he expected to see her there. “Today is a busy day for you. Gardening and baking will take time.” The old lady reminded him about the duties that he promised her. Baekhyun just nodded, not bothering himself to answer. He opened the fridge and took out a pack of milk along with some fruits. “It’s really disrespectful not to answer your elders.”

“Isn’t it disrespectful to bother people in their own home?” Baekhyun mumbled trying to peel the fruits. He would always start his day with a smoothie. After placing the fruits inside the blender, he turned his head back and checked on the sleeping man. He sighed and gave up on his smoothie so that Chanyeol wouldn’t wake up.

“You liked him don’t you?” The old lady smiled, her eyes going between the two quickly. From her experiences with young adults, it seemed like the two had a connection between them. “He is a cute one.”

“What made you think that I like him?” Baekhyun spoke not looking at her, he kept playing with the fruits. “I don’t play that game.”

“Somebody is grumpy today.” Seohee sighed and lowered his shoulders. Baekhyun was a moody person, he would go from happy to annoyed in seconds. “You two seemed to click though.”

“Yeah, he is a good person. That’s why I decided to be friends with him. And not him.” Seohee covered with surprise because of Baekhyun’s choice of words, not appreciating it. She slowly shook her head and disappeared suddenly.

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol was now standing in front of the kitchen door with his pajamas, hair messy and eyes swollen. Baekhyun smiled at the sight, it reminded him of old times. He had a couple of relationships before but none of them made him feel good about himself. At least being a model was making him feel good and boasting his ego. “Were you talking with someone?”

“No.” Baekhyun answered easily, turning on his feet to face the guy better. “I was mumbling a song.”

“So you like singing?” Chanyeol asked with a big smile on his lips and Baekhyun wondered how he managed to be this happy right after waking up from his sleep.

“I used to. Now I do it just because it became a habit of mine.” He shrugged finally being able to push the button on the blender. The loud sound coming from the machine filled the silence in the kitchen as Chanyeol took his moment to make up his mind.

“Did I say something bad?” Chanyeol asked looking at the frown on Baekhyun’s face. He walked up at him and fixed his ginger hair. Baekhyun’s hair was so soft, almost like a cotton candy and his hands got lost in it. It felt good.

“No. You are good.” Baekhyun fixed his hair after Chanyeol played with it. He sent him a smile and turned back on his feet, he poured the smoothie into two cups. “I prepared breakfast.” 

“Thank you. I have to go after drinking it though. I have to open the bakery, I am already too late for it.” He took the cup from Baekhyun and gulped down the sweet drink in few seconds. “Would you like to stop by around five? It’s around closing hour so we can hang around a bit.”

“I can’t. I have to take care of my garden today. Also, I’ll bake some dasik.”

“Dasik? I thought you don’t eat things like that?” Chanyeol knitted his brows together as Baekhyun calmly spoke.

“They are for a friend.” He stretched his arms back and looked at the taller.

“I can help you with them. I’ll bake some dasik for your friend if you stop by today. Also, I love gardening.” Chanyeol sent Baekhyun a big smile, his gums almost showing. Baekhyun was a fun of gummy smiles, he almost flirted with Bang Yongguk one time during trainee days.

“Well, you are everything I am not.” Baekhyun finally said, his shoulders falling down with defeat. There was no point at fighting, he was going to get everything done by only flirting and not even giving any effort. “It’s a deal then.”

“And please taste some of the melon pans I brought. Okay?” Chanyeol placed the glass on top of the kitchen counter. “See you around 5 then?” 

“Sure. Take care.” Baekhyun followed him until the door and took a deep breath as soon as he closed the door after Chanyeol. Now he could relax and enjoy his time until evening without worrying about the garden or the stupid recipe. 


  Time has passed q

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter