1.00

This isn't Hell

Mr Oh frowned as he looked away from the clock once again. His gaze met the dining table, which was laid out with the best china and silver, garnished with unlit candles.

"Dinner is more or less at eight. He knows that. Why, then, does he insist on being late? Every time, every bloody time..." he continued to ramble.

The secretary in black suit walked up a few steps. “Sir, he’s here,” He informed curtly, before retracting his steps.

“You’re late,”

“You know, you can always start without me,” Sehun said calmly, as he walked towards the other end of the long dining table. He sat down, face screwed up in a scowl, his arms crossed over his chest.

Mr Oh’s mouth was set in a thin line of annoyance, “It’s a family dinner, it is meant to eat with your family,”

What came next wasn't exactly silence, because although it was quiet, a thousand things were being said. Sehun hated that part about his unhappy household.

“I received a complaint from your school,” Mr Oh began, his hand swiftly cutting the steak on his plate. Steam erupted from his plate as the aroma of rosemary and meat filled the space. “This is the third one? Han?”

“Fourth,” The secretary corrected.

“Fourth complaint,” he said, “I solved the little problem of your months ago, and now you brought me another one. Failing most of your classes is one thing, and now this assault case?” Lines of worry had appeared on Mr Oh’s face. “You’re lucky he didn’t press any charges,”

Time to show him that he had reason for concern. Sehun smiled.

“So you care,” he said. “Well, he pisses me off in the wrong way. So, I punched his face.” Sehun said, his tone lack of any remorse, “And even if he did press charges against me, you’ll take care of it, won’t you, father?”

Mr Oh’s eyes went ice cold. “I don’t know what game you’re playing, but this is the last time.”

Sehun took a deep breath, wanting - no, needing - to sound in control. “Oh, I can’t be too sure about that,” Sehun assured him. “Why? You’re afraid your company might get a bad rep because of me?”

The pair of them could go on for hours, cycling in and out of anger and remorse for their harsh words.

“Careful now, Sehun,” Mr Oh snapped, “I’m giving you a last chance to redeem yourself. Don’t make me regret it,” he said sternly, pushing the chair behind him.

Sehun watched as his father’s words perforated his skin. He knew him so well; Sehun could tell that his father is angry. There was a visible swallow on the rich heir’s throat. Sehun’s jaw clenched, and his lips curved into a stiff smile.


“Figure it out,” Mr Oh said one last time before walking away.


Sehun remained silent, his fingers running through the smooth fabric of the serviette mindlessly before throwing it away. He huffed in annoyance, loosening his collar.


“What is he expecting me to do?” he cussed, “This old man is the life out of me,”

 

//



Sehun reached for his pocket and took out his wallet. He chose the platinum one this time, and threw it across the table. His gesture would have offended anybody, but the waiter nodded and took the card obediently.

“Minho bought a resort in Jeju,” Kyungsoo said, sipping into his wine. “Last time he bought the one in Itaewon,”

Sehun sighed, and scratched his left eyebrow, his hand still holding onto the a thinly rolled cigarette, “Lucky bastard,” he said, exhaling the smoke from his nostrils.

“I can’t do with my old man watching my back every single time,”

The waiter returned with a distressed look on his face, “I’m sorry sir, the card declined,”

Sehun glared and his brows furrowed, as he reached for his wallet again. He took another platinum card this time, and threw it again across the table.

“How is it going?” Kyungsoo asked nonchalantly, “With your father?”

“I feel like I’m losing my mind,” Sehun huffed, “One of these days, I’m going to set everything on fire,”

Kyungsoo’s laugh evaporated when he saw the waiter bringing the card again.

“I’m sorry sir, this card is declined too,”

“What the hell? Is your machine broken or something?” Sehun stood and roared at the waiter.

“Hey, it’s okay,” Kyungsoo spoke, pushing Sehun’s shoulder away, “Here, try mine,” he said, offering his card.

“What kind of nonsense is this,”

“Calm down,” Kyungsoo hissed at Sehun, and then turning his head to the other guests who looked puzzled over the scene, “I’m sorry,” he apologized.


//


“Go first,”

Sehun said to Kyungsoo, then disappeared out the door as soon as they were finished. He walked towards the back alley of the restaurant. “It has to be a mistake,” he said repeatedly to himself.

A red light lit in his brain. Sehun’s fists clenched. Wanting to make sure of what he thought, he took his phone out and called the number. And he realized he was angrier than he could remember being in a long, long time.


“What the hell did you do?” Sehun yelled on the line as soon as the receiver picked up.
“Sir?”
“What did you do to my cards?”
There was a brief pause, and the secretary speak slowly against the line, “It is Mr Oh’s order,”

Sehun cut it off, not wanting to hear more about it. He sighed out loudly, his fingers ruffling his hair. He exhaled roughly through his nose, “That old man,”
He gritted out loudly, “,” and threw his phone to the ground. The iPhone’s screen shattered into pieces, the component body broke into two.


He heard a soft gasp, and turned around.


“My god, you scared me,” Haru said, looking visibly shocked, her hands on her chest.
Sehun looked at her but said nothing. She looked somehow familiar.
Haru picked up the trash bag she dropped, her eyes still on the broken phone.

‘That must cost atleast a few thousand,’ Haru thought dismally, swaying a bit on her feet. Her heart still throbs loudly from the earlier scene.

She looked up at him, bowed slightly before walking away.