Short Story #2

KaiQian

Qianxi woke up and saw that it was already 9am. He’s so late for his first class.

“Why didn’t he wake me up?” Qianxi groaned as he run towards the bathroom.

At school, Junkai only smirked as he saw Qianxi eating his lunch with a frown.

“What’s with the long face?” Junkai tilted his head to the side as he stood in front of Qianxi.

“Don’t talk to me.”

“Why not?”

“You didn’t wake me up, ! What’s the use of having a schoolmate as a housemate if you can’t even help me wake up on time?”

“I applied for that space because it’s convenient, not to be your personal alarm clock.” Junkai rolled his eyes.

Qianxi glared at Junkai before standing up and walking away.

Back at the house, Qianxi, Junkai, and Yuan were eating together at the dining room.

“Why are you two quiet? Usually, you’ll be talking about your acting class by dinner time.”

“I don’t want to talk to him.”

Yuan turned to Junkai who only shrugged back.

“What did he do?”

“I didn’t wake him up today. I don’t know why it’s such a big reason to whine.” Junkai scoffed.

“Because I had a quiz, Junkai!”

“You still took them, what are you angry for?”

“I had to plead Wang-laoshi in front of class. You don’t know how embarrassing that is.”

“Okay then. I’m sorry for not waking you up. You’re not my obligation. I don’t think I should care for you that much. We’re roommates here, not boyfriends.” Junkai rolled his eyes.

Qianxi froze for a while before silently standing up to wash his plate.

“I’m going upstairs.” Qianxi mumbled then went upstairs to his room.

“What the hell was that? That was not very nice, Junkai.” Yuan elbowed Junkai’s side.

Junkai sighed as buried his face in his palms.

“He’s so moody today. I hope he’ll be alright.” Yuan pouted.

Junkai only looked at his food, clearly bothered by Qianxi’s behaviour as well.

That next day, Junkai was about to knock on Qianxi’s door but it opened and revealed Qianxi.

“W-Wow, you’re early.”

“I just… I don’t want to be late.” Qianxi sighed.

Before Qianxi could escape, Junkai grabbed Qianxi’s wrist.

“Hey, talk to me. What’s happening that’s making you like that?”

“You don’t have to worry. I’ll be fine. Just let it go.” Qianxi shrugged Junkai’s hold on him and went downstairs.

“I don’t think I should care for you that much. My .” Yuan smirked after emerging from his own room.

“Why are you eavesdropping?” Junkai crossed his arms.

“I was about to go downstairs as well but I felt an odd tension so I chose to wait by the door.” Yuan shrugged before patting Junkai’s chest and going downstairs.

The road to school was eerily quiet.

Qianxi was just staring out of the window with Junkai just beside him, probably thinking about what’s wrong with his housemate.

At school, Qianxi stopped for a second which made Junkai stop as well.

Qianxi reluctantly faced Junkai and waved him goodbye before turning to a corridor.

Junkai was stunned. Qianxi… was so cute.

As Junkai sat down for his English class, Yuan elbowed him.

“What’s with you and elbowing me?” Junkai groaned.

“So did you two reconcile now?”

“I think so. He’s too quiet.”

“Maybe you really hurt him this time, Wang Junkai.” Yuan tsked.

“He should be used to it now.” Junkai frowned as he felt the guilt inside him.

Yuan only shrugged before turning their attention to class as the professor entered.

Lunch time and Junkai was determine to talk to Qianxi.

Junkai waited for Qianxi at his classroom and the latter was surprised to see him but still continued his way before Junkai grabbed his wrist.

“Let’s go for lunch together.”

“No.”

“That wasn’t a question.” Junkai rolled his eyes before dragging Qianxi to the cafeteria.

At the cafeteria, Qianxi was looking around as Junkai started munching on his sandwich.

“Wang Junkai, what’s your motive?” Qianxi folded his arms in front of his chest.

“Motive?” Junkai raised an eyebrow.

“Why are you doing this?”

“Because Yuan can’t stop being a about it. His nags are worse than my guilt.” Junkai pouted.

“I’ll talk to Yuan, I’m not obligating you to do this.” Qianxi stood up.

“Why are you so rude anyway? Isn’t this a chance to get to know each other more?” Junkai also stood up.

“We’re roommates. Nothing more than that.” Qianxi said before turning around and walking out of the cafeteria.

“He’s really moody today.” Junkai sighed.

At the house, Yuan was talking to Qianxi about his homework.

“Come on, Qianxi. You have such good calligraphy skills. Just write this quote and you’re done.”

“I also have a homework of my own, Yuan. If the professor notices how similar our works are, we’ll be in trouble.”

“Then just do mine a bit uglier.” Yuan pouted.

“Then do yours on your own if you want it uglier.”

“Qianxi, you’re so mean!” Yuan stomped his feet.

“Yuan, you need to learn that anyways. It’ll appear on our exams. Surely, you wouldn’t be asking me to do yours in front of the proctor, will you?” Qianxi shook his head in disapproval before going to his and Junkai’s room.

Qianxi was surprised to see Junkai asleep on his study table.

Junkai fell asleep while learning calligraphy on Youtube.

“At least Junkai’s better than Yuan in academics.” Qianxi mumbled with a smile before tapping Junkai’s shoulder.

Junkai’s eyes opened and glared when he saw that it was Qianxi.

“What do you want?”

“Aren’t you going to finish your calligraphy homework?”

“Sorry that not anyone can do calligraphy like you.” Junkai scoffed.

“Okay, what got your in a twist?” Qianxi glared.

“You always get me in a twist, are you really asking that still?”

Qianxi only rolled his eyes and sighed before sitting down on his study table to work on his homework.

The next day, Qianxi got full marks and he couldn’t even be happier.

Or maybe not.

“Get out of my way.” Junkai pushed Qianxi in the hallway which caused the latter to fall down but Junkai continued walking away.

“What’s wrong with him, seriously?” Qianxi glared at Junkai’s back.

“Qianxi, did you see Junkai?”

“He just pushed me. What’s his problem?”

“The professor said that his calligraphy homework looked almost as amazing as yours. He couldn’t believe it was Junkai’s doing so he gave him a failing grade on that.”

“Why would the professor do that?”

“I tried retaliating with the professor but he wouldn’t listen to me. Maybe he’ll listen to you if you approach him. Approach the professor, please? I’ll go look for Junkai. He was really angry.” Yuan bit his lip before running towards the exit gate of the school.

“Junkai worked hard for that.” Qianxi mumbled as he ran to the faculty room.

At the faculty room, Qianxi bowed his head at the professor.

“Xiao laoshi, I am Junkai’s roommate and I can tell you that he really worked hard for his calligraphy homework.”

“What if he just traced your work when you fell asleep? I mean, look at this.” The professor gave Qianxi Junkai’s calligraphy homework and Qianxi was amazed. It really was beautiful. But the quote took his heart by surprise.

I hate you, and then I love you. It’s like I want to throw you off a cliff then rush to the bottom to catch you.

“I understand the sentiment, laoshi. But Junkai and I had a different quote in mind. It would be impossible to copy based on letters alone. I also caught him sleeping while watching a video on how to master calligraphy. I think, he’s been earnestly working for this work. I hope you’d give him the grade he rightfully deserves. Don’t judge him based on how he writes in the daily. He works hard in his academics, Xiao laoshi. Please don’t be subjective about this.” Qianxi bowed again before returning Junkai’s work and leaving the faculty room.

While walking through the hallway, Qianxi took a peek at his calligraphy homework.

Confucius said that it was easier to hate rather than to love. But why did I fall in love with you when all I wanted was to hate you?

“Funny, we had the same theme.” Qianxi chuckled.

At the house, Qianxi was alone. No one was home yet so he called Yuan.

“Oh! Qianxi, are you home now?”

“Yeah, I also talked to Xiao laoshi. I think he already got the memo. It’s just stupid that he’d have that shallow judgment about Junkai.”

“I know, right?! I heard Xiao laoshi and Wang laoshi are having fight, that was petty for letting out his frustrations on Junkai.”

“So… where are you? Did you manage to catch Junkai?”

“We’re at a local pub. I don’t think I can handle him alone though. Can you go here? It’s the pub next to our bus stop.”

“Okay, I’m leaving.” Qianxi put on his shoes and left the house.

“Bye and be safe.”

“Bye.” Qianxi didn’t know why but he was running.

At the local pub, Qianxi sighed as he saw Junkai emptying his third bottle of gin.

“I didn’t know that you come to this place, Wang Junkai.” Yuan tsked.

“I don’t. I just always see this place. Might want to try it now.” Junkai chuckled.

“You’re drunk. Once that Qianxi’s here, we’re going home.”

“Ah yes. Yi Yang Qianxi. Our perfect hero who does not do any wrong. Can’t wait to be saved from my drunken self, huh?” Junkai gulped down his shot glass.

“He talked to the professor for you so quit your ego, will you? I don’t even know why you hate him anyways.” Yuan rolled his eyes.

“Can’t you just go? If you don’t want to be here then go!” Junkai pushed Yuan away.

“Junkai, let’s go.” Qianxi grabbed Junkai’s wrist.

“Oh, you’re here. Thank you for saving my sorry .” Junkai bowed while saying those words sarcastically.

“You can thank me when you’re sober. Just go home with us now.”

“I don’t want to, let me go!” Junkai pushed Qianxi away and the latter fell down.

“For the second time, I see.” Qianxi mumbled before being helped by Yuan to stand up.

“What is your problem, Wang Junkai?!”

“Just leave me alone, okay?!”

Yuan slapped Junkai before dragging Qianxi along and left the local pub.

That night, Qianxi was pacing back and forth.

It’s almost midnight and Junkai’s not back at the house yet.

There was a knock at the room and Qianxi hurriedly opened the door only to see Yuan.

“You don’t seem happy to see me.” Yuan smirked.

“Don’t even think about anything, Wang Yuan.”

Yuan sighed before sitting down Junkai’s bed.

“Are you waiting for Junkai too?”

“Of course, I’ve known him longer than I’ve known you. He’s my friend.”

“I wish he’d also let me be his friend.” Qianxi sighed as he sat on his bed.

“But I saw him trying to befriend you at the cafeteria one time.” Yuan raised an eyebrow.

“He only did that because you kept nagging him. I wanted him to befriend me because he wants to. If only he doesn’t hate me.”

“I think Junkai has a reason for his outburst a while ago.”

Qianxi only nodded in acknowledgement.

“Let me ask you this, Qianxi.”

Qianxi looked at Yuan.

“What happened the other day? I mean, you two always bicker but I felt like something just clicked inside you that day.”

“I… umm, I was just tired of it being a normal routine, I guess.” Qianxi looked down.

“Hey, you’re lying. Tell me the truth.” Yuan smirked as he sat next to Qianxi.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You stutter when you lie. Quite obvious.” Yuan shrugged.

“I just… I don’t want to fight with him. I mean, I wanted my roommate to be my friend, you know? When I met Junkai, I even thought I was falling in-“ Qianxi’s eyes widen.

“Oh, now I get it.” Yuan laughed.

“It’s not what it looks like.”

“No, you don’t need to explain anymore.” Yuan chuckled.

“Stop thinking about that please. That’s not true.”

“Mhm, okay.” Yuan shrugged before standing up and leaving the room.

Qianxi groaned as he buried his head in his pillow.

The next day, Qianxi woke up to see Junkai fixing his necktie.

“G-Good morning.”

“Hi.” Junkai left the room.

Qianxi sighed before standing up to take a bath.

At the dining room, the three of them were quiet.

“I’ll be coming home late today. Don’t wait up for me.” Junkai glared at Yuan who only scratched his nape.

“Yeah, okay. But why? What are you doing later?”

“Club meeting, Wang Yuan. I’m not going to drink again. I’m still having hangover.” Junkai sighed before standing up to leave.

Qianxi who was only eating his food quietly looked up when he felt a tap on his shoulder.

“Are you going to continue eating slow? I’m going to leave you behind.” Junkai looked down on him before going to the front door to wear his shoes.

“Go ahead. I-I’m not done eating yet.” Qianxi bit his lip before looking at his food again.

Junkai only nodded and left the house.

Qianxi slouched his shoulders before burying his head on top of the table.

“My poor baby Qianxi.” Yuan chuckled and patted Qianxi’s head before heading upstairs to dress up.

Qianxi left the house and was shocked to see Junkai outside.

“W-Why are you still here?”

“My classmate told me the professor will be 10 minutes late. So I just stood by for a while. Let’s go together.”

Qianxi only nodded as they walked side by side to the bus stop.

At the hallway, Qianxi was about to bid Junkai a goodbye wave but the latter just walked past him quicker than he could raise his hand.

After lunch break, Qianxi didn’t feel like being in the same class as Junkai so he skipped class and stayed at the cafeteria instead.

Junkai on the other hand, was puzzled to see Qianxi not at his seat. Qianxi never arrived on time. He always arrives early.

“Maybe he’s not done eating yet.” Junkai stood up to look for Qianxi.

Back in the cafeteria, Junkai chuckled as he saw Qianxi reading their lessons for later.

“So you’re planning to skip class?”

Qianxi looked up to see Junkai with his eyebrow raised.

“I-I don’t feel well.”

“Has Yuan told you that you’re a bad liar?” Junkai sat next to Qianxi.

“Yes.” Qianxi sighed which made Junkai chuckle.

“What’s wrong with Zhou laoshi? You don’t like him?”

“It’s not that.” Qianxi looked at his notes.

“You don’t like Chinese history?”

“Not that as well.”

“Oh, I get it.”

“What?” Qianxi looked at Junkai and saw that Junkai was staring at him with a smile which made him flustered and so he looked down at his notes again.

“Why are you so red?”

“It’s a bit hot.”

“This is an air-conditioned cafeteria, Qianxi.”

“Our room is colder.”

Junkai laughed a little before burying his head in between his arms that was placed on top of the table.

“You’re going to sleep here?”

“I don’t want Zhou laoshi to nag me. I’m already late.”

“Why did you even go here?”

Junkai didn’t reply which made Qianxi conclude that he fell asleep.

“That was fast.” Qianxi mumbled.

At the house, Yuan was lazily scrolling through his notes when Qianxi entered the room.

“Yi Yang Qianxi, welcome back to our humble home!” Yuan stood up and hugged Qianxi.

“What’s wrong with you?” Qianxi laughed before hugging back.

“Junkai said he has plans after class but guess what, he’s home.” Yuan shrugged.

“And?”

“You two can finally sort out your misunderstandings, duh!”

“Is it really? What if he’s not ready?”

“Is it really about him? Or…” Yuan smirked.

Qianxi bit his lip.

“Or are you scared that you might accidentally confess your feelings to him?” Yuan chuckled.

“We’re not having this talk, Wang Yuan.” Qianxi pouted before going upstairs to his and Junkai’s room.

“They’re going to be a couple after tonight, I can feel it.” Yuan laughed.

Inside the room, Junkai was singing at his bed but after Qianxi entered, he stopped.

“Why did you stop?” Qianxi sat on his study table chair and opened his book.

“What?”

“Why did you stop singing?”

“I might irritate your precious study time.”

Qianxi sighed before sitting down on his bed, facing Junkai.

“I think we need to talk.”

“About?” Junkai also sat up and faced Qianxi.

“About whatever problem there is between you and I. I’m honestly tired of us just hating each other. I don’t even hate you to begin with!”

“Can we not have this kind of conversation today?”

“If not now, when? Why are you running away?”

Junkai only stared at him.

“Did you read my quote that day?”

“What?”

“My quote. Did Xiao laoshi show it to you?”

“He did but that’s not the point right now.”

Junkai took out a piece of paper and showed it to Qianxi.

It was Qianxi’s quote.

“Your quote is cute. We have the same theme.”

“Are you… are you mocking me right now?”

“What?” Junkai raised an eyebrow.

“Did Yuan tell you?” Qianxi’s hands were shaking.

“Tell me what?”

Qianxi stood up to get the paper from Junkai but the latter was fast and hid it in his pocket.

“Give it back!”

“What’s so important with your quote?! Why are you acting like this?”

“Just give it back!”

Junkai was confused but still shook his head. He has to know what’s so special about the paper.

“Did you not have enough? Are you going to make fun of me? Are you going to use that against me? To bully me?” Qianxi started crying and his whole figure was shaking.

“What are you saying?” Junkai stood up to hold Qianxi’s quivering shoulders.

“The quote’s about you, Junkai.”

Junkai’s hands drop to his side at the revelation.

“Why are you doing this to me?”

Junkai wordlessly hugged Qianxi and the latter only gripped at the hem of Junkai’s shirt.

“D-Do you hate me or something?”

Junkai let go of the hug only to cup Qianxi’s cheeks and wiped the latter’s tears.

“Not at all. I’m actually quite in love with you, really.”

Qianxi was stunned but Junkai only smiled.

“This is beyond twisted, Junkai. Why would you play with me like this?” Qianxi pushed Junkai away.

“Listen to me, okay.” Junkai held both of Qianxi’s hands.

“Please don’t lie to me.”

“I wish I was.” Junkai sighed.

“If… if you really love me, why are you acting like that? Why do you act like you despise me?”

“Because you stopped sending letters.”

“What letters? I don’t remem-“ Qianxi stopped talking as his eyes widen.

Qianxi had a pen pal. He stopped writing letters back because they moved out of that city.

“I-It was you?”

“I had my doubts too. When I saw your handwriting, I wanted to be mistaken. But then, all your stories matched with my pen pal. I guess… I guess I was angry but my anger didn’t stop me from falling for you. Deeper than before.”

“Why didn’t you just tell me?”

“Because I’m afraid. I was afraid I’m not worthy. That’s why you stopped writing to me. Because I’m not worthy of a person like you.”

“No, don’t think like that.” Qianxi cupped Junkai’s cheeks.

“But you did forget me.”

“I’ll admit, it was my fault that I stopped writing. Not because I didn’t care or that you didn’t hold a special place in my heart. I moved from the city to here because I wanted to find you. You told me in your last letter that you moved to a house away from home and you feel lonely. I wanted to be with you. That’s why I’m here. I’m here because of you.” Qianxi bumped his nose against Junkai’s.

“I-I….”

“Will you forgive me, please?”

“I love you.” Junkai laughed before hugging Qianxi.

“I love you too.”

The next day, Yuan was grinning as he saw those two sitting next to each other.

“Did Junkai confess already?”

Junkai choked on his chicken which made Qianxi pat his back.

“What are you saying, Yuan?”

“The second week that you’ve been staying here, Junkai already told me everything. Well, I guess except for the part that he’s still hopelessly in love with you but I believe that’s settled now.” Yuan smirked.

“You know too much, Yuan.” Junkai glared.

“I’m your best friend, you have no choice.” Yuan shrugged.

“Well, yeah we’re okay now. I just don’t know where we stand.” Qianxi smiled.

Both Junkai and Yuan looked at Qianxi in disbelief.

“He didn’t ask you to be your boyfriend yet?!”

“We’re not boyfriends yet?!”

Yuan and Junkai said in unison which made Qianxi laugh.

“You… you want to be my boyfriend?” Qianxi bit his lip to prevent his grin but it didn’t stop his cheeks from turning red.

“You confessed your undying love but did not ask him to be your boyfriend?!”

“Well, for the record, he confessed first.” Junkai glared at Yuan whining.

“Wow, you’re a coward.” Yuan sighed in resignation and Qianxi only nodded.

Junkai pouted as he felt ganged up on so he stood up and left the house.

“Have fun taming that guy. He holds grudges too well.” Yuan smirked.

Qianxi sighed with a smile.

“Well, at least, that guy holding a grudge isn’t just your roommate. It’s your boyfriend.” Yuan winked and left the red-faced Qianxi in the dining room.

At the bus stop, Qianxi chuckled to see Junkai waiting on the side.

“Are you angry?” Qianxi intertwined his fingers with Junkai.

“Do I have the right to? I’m not your boyfriend yet.” Junkai looked elsewhere.

“Then… will you be my boyfriend?” Qianxi whispered to Junkai’s ear.

Junkai looked at Qianxi and both started blushing as their faces were centimetres apart.

“Do you want to be my boyfriend?” Junkai asked with his breath ghosting Qianxi’s face making the latter breathless.

Qianxi only nodded, too entranced by Junkai’s inviting lips.

Junkai smirked as he noticed of his effect on Qianxi and kissed his nose.

“Then starting today, you’re my boyfriend.”

“You missed.” Qianxi mumbled, cheeks pink and lip bitten.

“Missed what?”

Qianxi leaned forward and kissed Junkai on the lips.

Junkai was surprised at first before kissing back.

“Too early for public display of affection, is it not?”

Qianxi and Junkai broke the kiss and looked at Yuan who was grinning.

“Thanks for ruining the moment, Yuan.” Qianxi glared.

“People will thank me for not ruining their morning.” Yuan stuck his tongue out.

“I’m sure they will.” Junkai rolled his eyes.

 

Prompt: Qianxi says, “Do you hate me or something?” in which Junkai replied with, “Not at all. I’m actually quite in love with you, really.”