Short Story #1

KaiQian

Junkai woke up with the worst hangover he had in years.

“That’s going to be the last time I drink.” Junkai groaned.

“You always say that. How many lasts are you going to declare?” Qianxi chuckled as he patted Junkai’s cheek.

“Hi.” Junkai smiled.

“Good morning to you too. Now, where should we eat for breakfast?” Qianxi layed his head on Junkai’s shoulder.

“You can cook. Why don’t you do that?”

“I feel lazy.” Qianxi stuck his tongue out.

“I don’t want to drive with a headache.” Junkai whined.

“Then let’s just eat somewhere we don’t need to drive to?”

“The only thing near us is that burger place.”

“Then… burgers for breakfast?” Qianxi grinned at he looked at Junkai who just completely gave up on the idea of retaliating Qianxi.

“Just let me brush my teeth then.” Junkai sighed as he stood up.

Before Junkai could get inside the bathroom, he glanced back at Qianxi who tilted his head in confusion.

“Just wait for me, okay?”

Qianxi only nodded with a soft smile.

Junkai washed his face and brushed his teeth and got into casual clothes.

“You’re taking too long! I’m hungry already.”

“Just wait a bit.” Junkai chuckled as he went out the bathroom to see Qianxi pouting at him while holding his stomach.

“Let’s go now, you big baby.” Junkai laughed as he intertwined his hands with Qianxi and off they go.

At the burger place, Junkai and Qianxi quietly ate their food.

“Why did you drink last night?” Qianxi looked at Junkai.

“You know, the usual stress.” Junkai looked at his burger to avoid looking at Qianxi.

“Are you feeling okay now?” Qianxi caressed Junkai’s cheek which made the latter quickly place his hand above Qianxi’s hand.

“As long as you’re here, I’m okay.” Junkai smiled and kissed Qianxi’s palm.

“Such a sweet talker.” Qianxi scoffed and playfully slapped Junkai’s cheek.

“How much do you love me?”

Qianxi was stunned by the serious look on Junkai’s face but he soon smiled as he continued to caress Junkai’s cheek and lining the faded scar on his cheek.

“So much. You’d probably know it by now.”

“I love you too.”

“I know.” Qianxi grinned before standing up to kiss Junkai on the forehead.

They walked hand by hand at the sidewalk and Junkai couldn’t help but notice how happy Qianxi was today.

“Am I that handsome? Why are you staring?” Qianxi smirked.

“I mean, yeah. But aside from that, you look so happy today.”

“Of course I am! I can’t see you all the time. Just to be able to hold your hand, I’m ecstatic.”

Junkai grinned as he kissed Qianxi’s hand that was intertwined with his.

“How about you? You don’t look as happy as I am.” Qianxi elbowed Junkai’s side.

“You won’t believe how much I want you by my side all the time.”

“I think I have a clue.”

At the playground, the two are looking at the sky while sitting on the swings with their hands still intertwined.

“What are you thinking about?” Qianxi squeezed Junkai’s hand.

“The future.”

“What about the future?”

“That’s what I’m wondering. I’m thinking if there is something worthy of happening in the future.”

“Sure there is! It’s still a long way ahead. Don’t be so crestfallen about the unknown.”

“It’s all I can think about. Can I… can I really live like this?”

Qianxi sighed before standing up to kneel in front of Junkai.

“It’s going to be very hard. It might even feel like no one’s going to understand you but that’s not a reason for you to lose hope for the future. Just keep pushing forward. Don’t waste your life. I’ll be so upset if you do.” Qianxi glared at Junkai which made the latter smile before kissing Qianxi’s forehead.

That night, the two of them are lying on the bed at Junkai’s apartment.

Junkai was reading a book.

Qianxi was bored so he leaned on Junkai.

“What is it?”

“Can you read it for me?”

“I’m already halfway through the novel, Qianxi.”

“Then just keep reading. I want to hear your voice.”

Junkai rolled his eyes with a smile.

After a few pages, Junkai’s phone rang and the latter saw that it was from his mom and sighed. He didn’t want to answer it so he left it on the nightstand.

“Who is it?” Qianxi buried his head deeper unto Junkai’s neck.

“Mom.” Junkai placed an arm around Qianxi’s waist.

“Answer it. It must be important.” Qianxi bit Junkai’s shoulder.

“It’s the same old things that she’ll say.”

“The things you never do that’s why she keeps saying it.” Qianxi poked Junkai’s cheek.

Junkai looked at Qianxi and they both stared at each other for a long time.

“Do you really want me to do it?”

Qianxi was quiet for a while but then put out a smile and pecked Junkai’s lips.

“It’s for the best. I always want the best for you, Wang Junkai.”

Junkai took a deep breath before answering the call.

“Junkai? How are you now?”

“I’m fine. How about you?”

“Your dad and I are good too. Do you want to come home next week for dinner? Yuan said he missed you and wanted you to hear a new song he composed.”

“Sure. Maybe on the weekends.”

“That’s great, Junkai. How a-“

“Just get to the point, mom.” Junkai looked down as his hands curled into a fist.

“I think you already memorize by heart what I’m about to say.”

“And does it still not occur to you that I don’t want to do it?”

“I know that Qianxi hates that you’re being like this. It’s been a year.”

Junkai glanced at Qianxi to see the latter reading the book.

“He doesn’t seem bothered by it. Just leave us alone, mom.”

“Just one day. If you don’t like it after one day then…”

“You won’t give up even if I say I don’t like it.”

“You’re my son! I can’t just give up on you. We’re not giving up on you. Your father, your friends, Qianxi. We’re all worried for your well-being. Just give yourself a chance, please.”

Junkai glanced at Qianxi again and this time, Qianxi was looking at him. Qianxi smiled and kissed his cheek.

“Mom’s right. I’m definitely worried about you.”

“Y-You are?”

“Of course I am! I love you so much, Junkai.”

Junkai felt his eyes watering so he quickly wiped the tears and heaved a sigh.

“Fine, I’ll go there.”

“Really?! What time? Tomorrow morning?”

“No, not tomorrow. Just give me time tomorrow.”

“Of course… whenever you’re ready, Junkai.”

Junkai nodded before ending the call.

“You’re going to do it, for real?”

Junkai only smiled at Qianxi and nodded.

Qianxi let out a happy scream before tackling Junkai.

“Are you that happy?”

“Of course! Mom has been so sad about it for a year now and you’re finally doing it.”

Junkai only smiled before kissing Qianxi’s lips.

“I’m doing it for you. I don’t want you to worry.”

“Thank you.” Qianxi smiled before pulling Junkai for another kiss.

The next day, Junkai woke up alone.

“I miss him already.” Junkai pouted before going to the bathroom to wash up.

After dressing in a simple polo shirt and black pants, he drove off.

Junkai placed his hand on the empty passenger seat and smiled.

At a park, Junkai sat on the bench and looked around.

The sky was blue and there were tons of birds chirping.

“Hello, did you have a nice sleep?”

Junkai smiled as he turned to Qianxi who sat next to him.

“I had, thanks for asking.”

“So why are you here?” Qianxi placed his hand above Junkai’s hand.

“I just… I want to think.”

“And you want to think here because?” Qianxi tilted his head in confusion.

“Do I need to say it for you to know?” Junkai bit his lip as he tried his best not to cry.

Qianxi frowned as he hugged Junkai.

“Hey, I’m sorry.”

“Just why… why did you do it? Why, Qianxi?” Junkai looked at Qianxi and saw the other sobbing as well.

“Because it’s you. And I would do anything for you.” Qianxi cupped Junkai’s cheeks.

“I love you so much. Always know that what I do is because of you as well.”

“I know.”

Junkai kissed Qianxi and then stood up.

“You know, there was a time that I would have died for you.”

Junkai chuckled, with tears still flowing from his eyes, before looking at Qianxi who also stood up next to him and held his hand tight.

“And?”

“I’m so glad I did.” Qianxi let out a single tear and kissed Junkai’s cheek.

Junkai wailed as he knelt in front of Qianxi’s grave.

 

Prompt: Qianxi says, “You know, there was a time that I would have died for you.”