The lonely penguin

Zookeeper Jihyo

Jihyo opened her eyes, she felt something heavy on her, she looked and there Tzuyu was, on her stomach, staring at her with her adorable black eyes. 

"Goodmorning, I hope you know you're heavy."

Tzuyu let out a bark and panted. 

Jihyo sat up and the dog put both its paws on her shoulders and looked at her. The girl played with the Labrador for a little bit then got out of bed and into the bathroom, since she didn't close the door, Tzuyu came in and sat at her foot and looked up at her, waiting for her to finish. 

After getting ready for work, she went downstairs to the kitchen with Tzuyu following close behind, Jihyo thinks that Tzuyu is very well trained but she remembered that all her life, Tzuyu was abused so she doesn't know where her well behaved manner came from. 

She made breakfast for her and Tzuyu. 

"Man, I really need to get some dog food-"

Jihyo stopped.

"Oh what's the point, I'm bringing her back to the zoo today anyways."

Jihyo placed the bowl of food in front of Tzuyu, a long side with a bowl of water for the dog. She sat down at the table and ate the cerial, after she was done, she looked down at Tzuyu to see that she hasn't even touched the food and water.

"Tzuyu what's wrong? Why aren't you eating baby?"

Jihyo crouched down next to Tzuyu and the dog tried to climb onto her lap which made her fall on her and Tzuyu successfully on her lap.

Why does she like my lap so much, geez. 

She grabbed the food bowl and put it up to Tzuyu's mouth and unsurprisingly, the dog started eating, Jihyo petting her the whole time. The labrador also drank the water which was also given to her by Jihyo. 

"Well now, aren't you spoiled."

Tzuyu looked back at Jihyo and her face which made the girl laugh. 

After washing the dishes, Jihyo went to her car with Tzuyu following her. She opened stood at the driver's seat and looked at Tzuyu.

"Alright, backseat or my lap?"

Tzuyu barked and jumped with her paws on Jihyo's lap.

"Alright."

 

When Jihyo got to the zoo, the went to Yeri's desk and signed in, Yeri totally not noticing the dog standing at Jihyo's feet.

"Yeri look, it's Tzuyu, that dog you talked about yesterday, don't worry though, Tzuyu's well behaved, when I'm around at least."

Yeri looked at Tzuyu who was only looking at Jihyo, Yeri nodded nervously and whispered to Jihyo.

"It's looking at you like you're its next meal."

"Haha don't be silly."

 

"Hey Seulgi, here's Tzuyu."

Seulgi nodded and got some staff to get Tzuyu but the dog growled and went behind Jihyo.

Jihyo looked at her and crouched down, squishy the dog's cheeks playfully.

"It's okay, they're nice and they'll take care of you."

Tzuyu growled lowly, Jihyo led Tzuyu slowly to Seulgi who looked nervous and amazed. 

"Okay Seulgi, just crouch down and hold your hand out."

Seulgi did as told and Tzuyu waited for a little bit before slowly walking towards Seulgi. 

"That's it, good girl."

Seulgi patted Tzuyu's head.

"Seulgi, you can handle it from here?"

"Yeah, I think so."

Jihyo smiled and left the room, going to her staff room to get ready for the day's jobs.

When she reached her desk, she spotted a sheet from her leader. 

"HI Jihyo, your job for today is to help Mina the penguin. She has been alone ever since they bought her here, she doesn't interact with the other penguins and we're afraid that would affect her socially, so please do something to help her, that's your job for today. Good job with Tzuyu btw. Good luck."

Jihyo remembered about the lonely penguin that she saw when walking past the penguin enclosure, so that was Mina. 

 

Jihyo put on the zoo keeper coat when entering the penguin enclosure because it was cold, the penguins minded their own business and Jihyo spotted Mina standing in the corner looking at the others. Jihyo slowly walked over to Mina, being careful not to slip on the ice. 

"Hi Mina." Jihyo gave a little wave which Mina didn't respond to. She just stood still looking at Jihyo. The girl came closer which made Mina waddle away and towards the other corner, Jihyo stood there dumbfounded watching the penguin waddle away.

Jihyo sighs. 

"This is going to be a long day."

 

Jihyo managed to sit in front of Mina with the penguin waddling away, she's been sitting there for 2 hours, just playing with the ice and looking at Mina, hoping that Mina would be more comfortable around her, which the girl found that the penguin was somehow taking a liking to her. Everytime she looked up from the ice, Mina would be a little bit closer. When Mina was in touching distance of Jihyo, the girl slowly held her finger out.

"Hey there, I'm Jihyo."

The penguin's fin slowly lifted and it touched Jihyo's finger, Mina's head then tilted.

Jihyo smiled brightly, happy that she was finally making progress. She has no idea how to get Mina to join the other penguins but making a connection would help a lot so she's trying to get to know the penguin more. The finger and fin stayed like that for a few minutes before Mina waddled away, but looking back at Jihyo to see if she was following, when Mina saw Jihyo wasn't following her, she waddled back to Jihyo and put her find on Jihyo's pants and waddled away again, signalling the human to follow her, which she did.

Mina led Jihyo to a pile of snow with a stone on top, Mina looked at the pile then up at Jihyo then at the pile, then at Jihyo again. Jihyo looked at it for a while and finally got what it meant.

"Wow! Mina, good job! It's beautiful."

Jihyo clapped and crouched down infront of Mina, giving her a thumbs up. The penguin excitedly flapped her fins, the human girl smiled warmly at the creature, finding adorable. 

Mina waddled todays Jihyo and just put herself against Jihyo's body, the girl picked the penguin up smiled.

"Aren't you a cutie."

The penguin wiggled it's excitedly and flapped its fins. Mina was actually quite small and light, Jihyo sat down with Mina sitting on her lap leaning against her upper body, Jihyo grabbed a stick near them and wrote Mina's name on the snow, which Mina flapped her wings excitedly at. They sat and played for 3 hours, during the 3 hours, the other penguins joined them, playing with sticks and making piles of snow, Jihyo was now surround by penguins, Mina still on her lap, refusing to leave but she was definitely having fun with the others as well.

Seulgi opened the enclosure cage and her heart felt warmth when she saw Jihyo sitting, surrounded by penguins excitedly playing but then she snapped back to reality. 

"Jihyo! Sorry to interrupt your bonding with pingu but it's Tzuyu again!"

"Alright, I'm coming."

Jihyo picked Mina up from her lap and stood up, she placed the penguin down with the other and walked to the enclosure exit but Mina waddled quickly towards her and wrapped her fins around her leg. 

"Awww, I'll come back and play with you again, you made some friends today. Good job." Jihyo kissed Mina on top of her head and held her fin.

"See you soon Mina."

Mina flapped her fins excitedly and let Jihyo go. 

 

"What's wrong with Tzuyu?"

Jihyo asked as she ran with Seulgi towards the nursery. 

"She's been crying. She's not growling anymore, not aggressive, but drowned of energy and crying and whimpering in the corner."

"Since when?"

"A few minutes after you left."

 

Jihyo and Seulgi opened the door and saw the nurses looking at Tzuyu with pity. 

Jihyo saw the state Tzuyu was in and it hurt her heart deeply to see Tzuyu suffering again, she made her way towards the dog and crouched down infront of her.

"Tzuyu, it's okay."

Hearing Jihyo's voice, Tzuyu gathered all her energy and walked over to sit on Jihyo lap. Jihyo wiped Tzuyu's tears which petting her gently. The dog looked up at her and growled lowly.

How dare you leave me. 

Jihyo got startled, it was almost as if she could understand Tzuyu's growl. She gulped and continued petting Tzuyu. 

"Jihyo, do you mind taking Tzuyu home again today? We have to get her paperworks done before we can find her an owner."

"Sure."

 

Jihyo carried Tzuyu to her car and placed her on her lap and drove home, she got the feeling Tzuyu is being cold to her. She doesn't know how, but she just feels it, Tzuyu looked moody and mad at her, she doesn't know why. 

Jihyo opened the driver door and Tzuyu jumped off her lap immediately, stood still with her back against facing Jihyo. 

Okay, this dog is definitely mad at me. 

Jihyo walked towards her front door, occasionally looking back at Tzuyu who followed but everytime she made eye contact with Jihyo, she growled. 

Jihyo gulped as she unlocked her front door. 

 

Tzuyu stayed in the living room as Jihyo ate dinner, the dog didn't need to eat because Jihyo fed her at the nursery already. Jihyo after washing the dishes, went towards the stairs but not without checking up and Tzuyu first.

"Tzuyu? Do you wanna sleep on my bed today?"

The dog layed there, ignoring her and even moved its head away from her direction.

"Alright then, goodnight."

Jihyo confused, went to her bedroom and got out her pjs, went to the shower and cleaned herself.

 

After showering, Jihyo got onto her bed and took out a book she was reading at the moment and opened it up to the page she last left it on. The whole time she was reading, she couldn't focus, her mind was on Tzuyu.

What did I do to make the dog that I met 2 days ago mad at me. Geez. Maybe it just needs some space. 

Jihyo decided to check on Tzuyu one more time before going to bed, she opened her bedroom door and looked down at the living room, yup, Tzuyu was still laying there. 

She went back to her bed and layed down, her eyelids slowly closing and she finally fell asleep. 

It was 2am when she woke up to the sound of scratching at her bedroom door, she sleepily went to the door and opened it, surprised when Tzuyu pounced on her making her lose her balance and falling onto the floor with Tzuyu on top of her. The dog her face multiple times and rubbed its head on her neck, tickling the girl.

"Tzuyu stop, it tickles!"

Jihyo got Tzuyu off of her but the dog jumped back on her again, laying flat on her stomach, staring at her, then it growled.

Leave me alone again and you'll regret it. 

"Oh man, am I crazy? How am I even even understanding you." 

Tzuyu let out a bark and innocently staring at her. 

"I'm probably just tired."

Jihyo carried Tzuyu to her bed and placed her down gently before getting under the covers herself then falling asleep. Tzuyu dug her head under the covers and found her way next to Jihyo, the dog snuggled close to Jihyo and the girl hugged the dog, which it liked a lot, it rubbed its face against Jihyo cheeks and put its chin on Jihyo's shoulder and slowly fell asleep in her embrace.