Broken

Zookeeper Jihyo

Jihyo's second day at the zoo was a little bit more chaotic than yesterday, she greeted Yeri as usual and Yeri told her something.

"Hey Jihyo, I heard they took in some crazy dog yesterday."

"Huh? Zoos keep dogs?"

"I heard it was the boss's cousin's dog so that's why they're going though so much effort for it."

"Oh I see. Well, I'll take a look at it today if I can."

"Cool, tell me all the juicy details."

"Got it!"

 

Jihyo sat in the staff room looking through some papers and when one of her workmates entered, she greeted them. 

"Good morning, Joy."

"Hey Jihyo, you heard about the dog?"

"Yeah, Yeri told me about, what's that all about?"

"Well, here's the story. The boss visited his cousin and saw the dog getting abused by his cousin's wife, like it was really bad so boss ordered his men to take the dog away. After all the abuse, the dog is really aggressive and bites anyone that tries to touch it, so that's why the staff is having a hard time with it right now."

"Where is it now?"

"Section E, left quad."

"I'll go see it."

"Are you sure? I went to take a look today and it looked crazy. Like some wild savage stray dog."

"I won't near it, don't worry Joy."

"Alright, good luck."

 

Jihyo walked to Section E and immediately heard a lot of noise, staff yelling and running around and yep, all the ruckus was caused by the dog. 

She walked up to one of the guys standing guard. 

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Well, that crazy dog bit one of the staff."

Jihyo looked pass him and saw a dog in the corner of a cage and growling at anyone it sees. Jihyo doesn't know what got into her but she teared up.

She quickly wiped her tears and walked towards the cage. 

"Wow, hey don't get too close, it's dangerous."

One of the staff warned her. 

"Hey, I'm Jihyo, can you tell me its story?"

"I'm Seulgi, this dog her is Tzuyu, female, 2 years old, abused ever since she came into that horrible family, which was 1 year and 7 months. They wouldn't let anyone near her. We tried giving her food and water but she won't drink or eat them."

"Poor thing, did those monsters get arrested?"

"They're facing charges."

"Good."

Jihyo squat in front of the cage and looked at the dog's pitiful eyes, it made her so sad, Tzuyu looked terrified. People saw her as aggressive and scary but all Jihyo saw was broken, a broken heart. 

"Tzuyu, it's okay. Come here." 

Jihyo warmly smiled, Tzuyu whimpered loudly and looked at Jihyo for a few seconds before limping towards her, the other staff were amazed, they've never seen this dog not growl or try to not bite people. Tzuyu and Jihyo was separated by a bar cage but Jihyo was able to gently pet Tzuyu through it, the dog's loud whimpering slowly subsided. 

"I GOT FOOD!" 

The dog backed away from Jihyo aggressively and growled. Everyone turned to looked at the source of the loud noise. 

"LISA! You idiot!" 

"WHAT?!" 

 

After everyone calmed down, the boss appeared and he looked at the dog solemnly. 

"Hey guys. How is the progress with Tzuyu?" 

 "Not good sir, she's been growling like this all morning." 

"Poor thing, i'm afraid we have to put her down if she doesn't get better, she's in too much pain and misery." 

"ACTUALLY SIR!" Seulgi shouted which got the boss's attention. 

"Jihyo here was able to get the dog to come to her." 

"Oh? You must be new." the boss said to Jihyo.

"Yes sir, I started yesterday. I want to help Tzuyu, I'm willing to go into the cage with her." 

"What? But that's dangerous." 

"Please! I want to help her." 

"Alright, but wear protec-" 

"No sir, I'll go in like this, I promise I'll be okay." 

The boss thought for a moment. 

"Okay, but we'll leave the door open in case anything happens." 

 

Tzuyu starts to growl as soon as Jihyo enters the cage. 

"It's okay Tzuyu, it's okay." 

She held her hand out as a sign of peace, Tzuyu whimpered louder and backed away into the corner further until she was up against the cage walls. Jihyo slowly approached while keeping eye contact with the dog, her eyes showing gentleness and warmth, something the dog has never seen in a human before. 

Jihyo was about 1M away from Tzuyu and everyone watching was anxious, scared that the dog would attack her. The girl slowly crouched down to Tzuyu's eye level and the whimpering grew louder, the dog started crying, Jihyo slowly and cautiously placed her hand on the dog's head and gently it. 

"That's it, good girl. No one's gonna hurt you. Good girl." 

The whimpering slowly but surely subsided. Jihyo got comfortable with Tzuyu and patted her head and body, she felt the dirty fur, she smelt the stench but she didn't care, Tzuyu needed a lot of love right now and Jihyo's here to provide that. 

"Good girl Tzuyu, that's it, come here." 

Tzuyu made her way onto Jihyo's lap and slowly closed her eyes, after many hours, Tzuyu finally got the rest she needed. Seulgi came in quietly and injected sleep drug into Tzuyu so that she doesn't wake up when they treat her. 

"Nice job newbie, we're all impressed." Seulgi patted Jihyo's head which the younger girl just chuckled too. 

"You're going to treat her now?" 

"Yeah, we'll take her to the nursery and give her shots then treat her injuries." 

"Alright, take care of her." 

As Jihyo bowed to everyone, her boss put his hand on her shoulder. 

"Thank you." 

"No problem sir." 

 

Actually there was a problem, as Jihyo was walking out of the gate of the zoo after a long day of work, Seulgi quickly chased after her. 

"JIHYO! We need your help!"

"What is it?" 

"After Tzuyu woke up, she became aggressive again, please help her." 

Seulgi and Jihyo ran back into the nursery to see Tzuyu on the metal table growling at the nurses, when Tzuyu saw Jihyo, she growled lowly and stared at her with her black eyes. 

Come over here. 

Jihyo suddenly got the urge to walk closer to Tzuyu. She walked closer and closer until Tzuyu was safely in her arms, her face but still growled at the other people. 

"Man, it's like she's this little angel when Jihyo's around and a literal devil when she's not." 

"Well, Jihyo I hope you don't mind, but please stay here until we finish treating Tzuyu, then we'll put her back in her cage." 

"Sure." 

Jihyo sat on the metal table with Tzuyu on her lap while the nurses injected shots into Tzuyu which the dog surprisingly took very well. She kept snuggling closer to Jihyo which she found cute, she's glad that this dog feels less burdened now and hopes that she forgets her abusive past and find a new owner who loves her a lot. 

"Well, Tzuyu's all set now, Jihyo thank you so much for doing this, you can go home now. We'll handle Tzuyu." 

 

Jihyo was in her car about to start the engine when her phone rang, it was Seulgi. 

"JIHYO! WE ACTUALLY CAN'T HANDLE TZUYU BECAUSE SHE KEEPS ON BARKING! AND THROWING HERSELF AGAINST THE GLASS CAGE HELPPPPPPP!" 

Jihyo sighed and got out of her car then sprant to the nursery. 

When she opened the door, the first thing she saw was Tzuyu throwing herself against the glass while barking, she quickly went over and the dog calmed down when she saw Jihyo. She carefully opened the cage and lifted the dog into her arms. 

"Alright Tzuyu, be a good girl. Shhhh." 

Tzuyu's barks stopped. 

"Okay, Jihyo. Big favour to ask but can you please take Tzuyu home today, we can't have her staying here if she's like this. Well, she seems to really like you, so please? You can take her back here tomorrow and we'll figure something out." 

Jihyo looked at the nurses and then back at Tzuyu who was looking at her. Then Tzuyu reached up and Jihyo's nose, then let out a quiet bark. 

"Okay fine." 

 

Jihyo placed Tzuyu in the back seat, she didn't put Tzuyu in a cage because she assumed the dog didn't like being enclosed since she was literally trying to break the glass cage. 

Jihyo closed the door and started her engine but then Tzuyu climbed onto her lap. She looked down and smiled, the patted the dog and drove home.

 

Jihyo carried Tzuyu into her house then placed her down to close the front door, Tzuyu followed her to the kitchen. 

"Alright let's get you some food." 

Tzuyu made some dog food, yes she knows how to do that, and placed it in front of the dog. 

"Huh? Why aren't you eating?"

Jihyo crouched in front of Tzuyu which the dog took as an opportunity to jumped onto her lap which made her fall on her bottom. 

"Ooouch, Tzuyu." 

She tried getting the dog off her but it would budge so Jihyo grabbed the food bowl and put it infront of Tzuyu who gladly ate the food, and also drank the water that Jihyo gave it after. All this, on Jihyo's lap. Jihyo was patting Tzuyu the whole way. 

"Lets get you cleaned up." 

Jihyo cleaned Tzuyu up, her fur now much softer and cleaner, Tzuyu was a Labrador which meant she looked very innocent but when she was growling, it looked scary. After cleaning Tzuyu up, she got the dog to lay on her bed then went to take a shower herself. When she opened the door she was surprised. 

"OMG! Tzuyu, you surprised me."

Tzuyu was laying at the front of the bathroom door, waiting for Jihyo. The dog rubbed its head against Jihyo's leg and panted. 

"Aww you're adorable." 

Jihyo crouched down and played with the dog's fur for a while before flopping onto her bed. 

"Man, today was so tiring." 

Then she felt something heavy on her stomach. 

"Tzuyu, get off me, you're heavy."

Jihyo laughed while getting Tzuyu off her, her eyes slowly closed and she fell asleep. Tzuyu snuggled up closer to Jihyo and layed her head on Jihyo's chest while wagging her tail then slowly fell asleep too. 

 

 

Don't worry, Jihyo's going to be interacting with the rest of TWICE animals one on one soon. We just need to fix this Tzuyu problem.