Soul Mates

Exo One-Shots 2020
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No mom, I do not feel like celebrating my birthday this year.” Hyejin stated into her phone as she made her way to her car.

            “Oh, come on we haven’t celebrated your birthday since you were 16. After your mark never showed up you have refused to celebrate.” Her mother was pouting. She may not be able to see her but Hyejin could tell her mother was pouting. The mark her mother was referring to is her soul mate mark. On their sixteen birthday everyone receives a dark mark on the inside of their wrist that will glow red and fade when they met their soul mate. Both soul mates’ marks would match each other’s and no other person in the world had the same symbol as a mark unless they were soul mates. Unfortunately for Hyejin hers never appeared. It was like the world was telling her, she would forever be alone. She had always had problems making friends and meeting new people and then the universe decided you know what let’s not give the girl a soul mate mark as well. “You can’t continue to hate the day you were born just because of that Hyejin.”

            “I don’t hate the day I was born because I didn’t get a mark mother. I hate the day I was born because it reminds me each year that I am getting older and older and will forever be alone.” Hyejin explained to her mother.

            “You don’t know that dear. Just because you didn’t receive a mark doesn’t mean you don’t have a soul mate out there.” Her mother argued. “And you aren’t that old you are only turning 21 so stop acting like a middle-aged woman and please let me throw you a party.” She begged her daughter.

            “Fine, mom. You can throw me a party but know that I don’t want to hear anymore about parties on any of my birthdays anymore until I am at least 50.” Hyejin caved into her mother’s begging.

            “Can’t make any promises on that one. Okay the party will be this Saturday then. Invite any friends you want and some of the family will be there as well including you brother and sister and their spouses. I love you. I have to let you go so I can start planning everything. I will send you more details later. BYE!” Her mother’s overly enthusiastic voice said before hanging up on her daughter.

            Hyejin rolled her eyes as she started her car and pulled away from her college campus. Even though she didn’t want it to be she knew her mother was going to make a big deal out of this party. Her family wasn’t rich, but they were well off and her mother loved using that money to throw extravagant parties. I just hope it isn’t as big as my sweet sixteen party was, that was so embarrassing. She remembered back to the night of her sweet sixteen as everyone waited for her mark to show up only for it to never happen.

            She pulled up to her place of work 10 minutes later and went into the back employees only door to the locker room to get changed. Hyejin’s parents offered to pay for her living expenses while she was going to college, but she had refused. She felt bad enough that they were paying for her college as it was that she didn’t want them spending even more money on her. She had also used the excuse that getting a job now would prepare her for after she graduated school and would be getting a job anyway.

            As she walked out of the locker room, she bumped into her co-work So-Min. “Oh hey Hyejin. I didn’t know you had a shift today.”

            “Yea, I picked up a couple extra shifts for the next couple of weeks so I could have a bit more extra spending money this month.” She smiled at her co-worker. Surprisingly, she had made more friends at the restaurant she worked at than she had in her whole middle school and high school career. “Doesn’t help that now I have to purchase a new dress for the birthday party my mom is throwing me this Saturday.”

            “Oh my goodness, I didn’t know your birthday was coming up. A party sounds like so much fun.” So-Min said excitedly. “Maybe you will even find yourself a boyfriend there.” All of her co-worker friends knew that she didn’t have a mark but none of them judged her or made fun of her for it.

            “Yea just what I need, a guy who will love me then leave me the moment he found his soul mate.” Hyejin joked as she clocked in for her shift.

            “You never know you may find a man who is a soul mate widow there.” Minah their other co-worker friend said as she walked up behind So-Min as if she heard their whole conversation.

            “The last thing I want is to date some middle aged or old man thank you very much.” Hyejin shook her head as all three of them got ready to go serve the customers.

            “Not all men who lost their soul mates are old, Hyejin. Accidents happen everyday you know.” Minah corrected her friend. “You never know what could happen anyway.”

            They went their separate ways and got to work. They occasionally bumped into each other when going back to receive their customers orders from the kitchen where Hyejin’s third work friend, Hana worked. The restaurant was way too busy for them to really finish their conversation though. Luckily, they all four got off work together.

            “Would you guys please come to the party?” Hyejin sounded like she was begging. “I know I won’t have any fun and feel really lonely if I have to be there alone the whole time surrounded by my family and their soul mates the whole night.”

            “I am down for it.” Minah stated as she changed out of her work shirt. Hyejin knew it was because she was hoping to find a new play toy at the party. Minah hadn’t found her soul mate yet but was never one let that stop her from having a good time.

            “Can I bring Minho with me?” So-Min asked. Minho was her soul mate and usually being around people and their soul mates made Hyejin uncomfortable Minho and So-Min always made sure to not make her feel awkward around them.

            “Of course, you can. Hana if you want you could invite Kyungsoo as well.” Hyejin told her friend.

            “I would but he has to work. I will have to make sure he is okay with me going though. I am sure it won’t be a problem, but I just want to double check.” She opened her phone and started to text her fiancé. “How should we dress? Is it formal or casual?”

            “Seems like it is semi-formal if what my mother’s text says is correct.” Hyejin said as she looked down at her own phone.

            “Since we all have Thursday off, we could all go dress shopping together.” Minah suggested. “I love getting new clothes and what better reason than a party.” They all rolled their eyes at their more than excited friend.

            “Sounds like a plan to me.” Hana stopped next to her car and turned to the rest of the girls. “Kyungsoo said he would be okay with me going to the party.” She smiled happily at Hyejin. “I will make sure you aren’t the third wheel with Minho and So-Min.” With a wink and a quick wave, she got into her car.

            “Yah, you know I will be there, too.” Minah pouted.

            “Yeah probably off chasing some 30 something year-old man you think is hot.” Hana countered. “Just text me the details of when we are meeting up Thursday and I will meet you there.” She then shut her car door and the rest of them started walking toward their cars again. They dropped Minah off at her car next who was still pouting about Hana’s statement. So-Min and Hyejin always parked next to each other so they wouldn’t be walking by themselves late at night. When they were almost to their cars a very drunk man and his friend were headed toward them.

            “Oh, look there’s car.” The drunk man slurred before running past Hyejin.

            “Yah, Jongdae slow down would you. I don’t need you getting hit by a car because you aren’t looking where you are going.” His friend gave chase but bumped into her as he was passing her.

            “Tss.” Hyejin hissed at a sudden pain in her wrist.

            “Sorry about that.” The man said barely giving her a quick glance before he was off chasing down his friend again.

            “You okay?” So-Min turned to her.

            “Yeah, I am fine. My wrist just stung for a second there.” Hyejin smiled, giving her friend’s arm a quick squeeze before urging her to start walking again. “See you tomorrow then.” They had arrived at their cars and both unlocked them and got ready to get into the cars.

            “Yep. It is always my favorite shift when it is with you.” So-Min laughed. “Don’t tell Minah though because she wouldn’t stop pouting for a week if she found out.” Hyejin laughed at her statement but nodded her head. They got into their cars and headed home.

            When Thursday rolled around, she was even more anxious about the party because her mom was constantly calling her and asking her questions. She didn’t want a big party but with every call a question such as ‘do you mind if Hye-Mi invites some of her friends from college?’ or ‘is it okay if I invite the boys from Seo-Yeon’s shop?’ would be asked. As she walked into the dress shop, she felt a bit of relief though because her friends were already there joking around and looking through the racks of dresses. “HYEJIN, you are finally here!” Hana ran over. “Can you tell Minah that I am not wearing a low cut short skirted dress. She keeps trying to dress me like I am a doll.”

            “Oh, come on Hana you would look so cute in this dress.” Minah complained.

            “Minah you know how reserved Hana is why do you even try?” Hyejin felt Hana hide behind her. “Let her pick out her own dress. You know she would only complain the whole night about how Kyungsoo wouldn’t like her in that dress if she were to wear it anyway.” She laughed as Hana gave her a shove from behind. “Speaking of choosing out dresses. Pick out any dress that you want, my mom is so excited to meet my friends that she has offered to pay for all of your dresses.” Minah squealed and went back to put the dress she had pick out for Hana on the rack.

            “How are you doing? You look tired and stressed?” So-Min came over to Hyejin.

            “I have been better.” She admitted. “My mom is making a bigger occasion out of this than I would like but I guess as long as I have you guys with me, I should be fine.” So-Min gave her a side hug. She knew the girls knew how she felt about her birthday.

            “If you start to feel uncomfortable, I am sure we could find some way to help you escape.” Minah joked with a worried smile on her face.

            “Yeah, plus if we need to leave early, we could always go to the pub and celebrate on our own.” So-Min reminded them. She shoved a couple of dresses in Hyejin’s hands. “I am sure Kai and Sehun wouldn’t mind seeing you all dressed up.” She rolled her eyes at being reminded of those two. The pub was a small hole in the wall bar that served food that the girls had discovered while out on a girl’s day once. Kai and Sehun were two of the younger staff members who worked there who always seemed to like to flirt with her every chance they got. She of course never flirted back because she never really liked boys that were younger than her.

            The rest of the day was spent trying on dresses and then buying jewelry to match. When they went to the pub at the end of it, Hyejin was glad to know neither of the younger boys were working that night. Minah was disappointed though because she always tried to win the boys over, but they always seemed to only want Hyejin. At some point while they were all laughing and eating Hyejin saw a group of guys come in and sit nearby. When she looked over at them, she felt that sudden sting in her wrist again. “You okay?” Minah asked when she saw her wince.

            “Yea, I think so. My wrist just stung that’s all.” Hyejin looked down at her left wrist and it was slightly red. She looked back to the table of boys and noticed one of the boy’s eyebrows furrow and that he was looking at her. She doesn’t know why she looked in their direction again but something in her told her to.

            “That’s the second time this week.” So-Min noted. “You should probably go see a doctor about it.” She took Hyejin’s wrist in her hand and saw the redness.

            “It will be fine. If it is still bothering me next week, I will go see the doctor about it.” Hyejin promised when she saw both So-Min and Hana give her their protective mother glares. “Let’s just pay and go. I have to get home and get ready for my classes tomorrow.” She put a handful of bills down on her check.

            “You know if you did your schoolwork when it was assigned you wouldn’t have to be in such a hurry the day before it is due.” Minah laughed at her.

            “I hope your future soul mate is poor.” Hyejin responded.

            “Now that is just mean.” She pouted at her. They all laugh as they stood to leave. It was common knowledge amongst the group that Minah wished her soul mate were rich so she could quit working and just live a nice life of basically living off her husband’s income. It wasn’t like she was lazy; she just would rather have more time for herself and her hobbies than working. They all went their separate ways. As she got into her car Hyejin looked back down at her wrist and if she weren’t mistaken the redness almost looked like a snowflake. That was probably just her imagination though. She spent the rest of the night trying to figure out why her wrist had started to sting randomly.

            The day of her party finally came and Hyejin was more anxious than ever. Luckily for her Hana had taken it upon herself to come over and help her get ready though. “Everything is going to be fine, Hye. Stop panicking.” She reminded her.

            “I know I just haven’t had a party like this since that night, so I am a little worried about being the center of attention again.” She bit her lower lip.

            “Well at least you will be the prettiest girl there.” Hana smiled down at her as she put the finishing touches on Hyejin’s makeup.

            “You haven’t met my younger sister.” She responded but that only made Hana grab her by the shoulders and lead her to in front of the full-length mirror in the corner of her bedroom.

            “I don’t care how cute you think your sister is she has nothing on you tonight.” Hyejin stood in front of the mirror shocked. The girl in the reflection didn’t look anything like herself. She was wearing the dress the girls had picked out for her which the skirt of stopped just above her knees. It was tight fitting at the top with long sleeves made of lace and the skirt had some layers to it. Her hair was curled and pinned in a way that made it seem like it was cascading down the side of her head and over her shoulder. Her make up was more of a natural look but she thought she looked slimmer and prettier than she ever had with the way Hana had done it. At that moment there was a knock at the door. “I will get that you get your shoes on because it is probably everyone else and we need to get going soon.” Hana made her way out the door of the bedroom.

            Hyejin slipped her heels on and was fastening the straps over the top of her foot when she heard Minah and So-Min come in and greet Hana. As she finished with her shoes, she made sure to put on a bit of lip color and put the lip stick and her phone in her bag before standing and walking out of her room to join her friends. “Wow who is this hottie and what has she done with Hyejin.” Minah was the first to comment once she saw her.

            “Haha very funny.” Hyejin shook her head. So-Min smiled at her and gave her a quick nod of approval.

            “You do look lovely tonight, Hye.” Minho was nice enough to compliment.

            “Thank you, Min. Now downstairs to the ride my mom hired for us. If the party isn’t already enough, she decided to hire a stretch hummer to come get me.” Hyejin sighed at her mother’s extravagance when it came to a simple party.

            “Got to have the birthday girl arriving in style.” Minah joked as she linked her arm through Hyejin’s

            “Now you are starting to sound like my mother.” She whined which just caused everyone else

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter