Never Say Never

Exo One-Shots 2020
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mi-Cha, they will be here any minute!” her mother yells upstairs. “I swear if you are still asleep, I will come up there and make you regret the day you were born.”

            “Yah, I am not asleep I was brushing my teeth. God, calm down woman.” Mi-Cha shouts back as she is coming down the stairs only to receive a smack against the back of her head as she reaches the bottom.

            “Who are you calling woman?” her mother gives her a dirty look.

            “It isn’t like this is the first time we have had the Kim family over mom. Why are you acting like you do when Grandma comes to visit?” she pouts while she rubs the back of her head. She walks into the kitchen where her father is sitting reading the newspaper. “Morning Appa.” Mi-Cha says sweetly earning her gentle pat on the head.

            “Of course, she respects you.” Her mother complains coming into the kitchen behind her.

            “Well I am not the one who threatened her, dear.” Her father teases in a sing song voice giving Mi-cha a wink.

            “Ugh only because you always want to be the good guy.” Her mother walks over to him to shake his arm like a little kid. He rolls his eyes and shakes his head at her.

            “Eomma, you still haven’t told me why you are acting like it is the end of the world.” Mi-Cha interrupts.

            “Oh, right I got distracted. It isn’t just the Kim’s who are visiting this time Mi-Cha.” She smiles walking over to her daughter to straighten her hair a little bit. Mi-Cha gives her mother a quizzical look. “Junmyeon’s parents, along with your father and myself, have allowed him to invite some of his friends to come visit with him. So, there will be an extra 4 boys coming with them. I just wanted to make sure you looked presentable before they got here.”

            “Oh boy more people to entertain.” Mi-Cha says sarcastically while she pours herself a cup of orange juice.

            “Yah, since when have you complained about spending time with the Kim’s? If I remember correctly it wasn’t 2 years ago you got excited every time they came over.” Her father questions his daughters’ attitude as he turns on his stool to face her. He gestures for her to come over to him. Mi-Cha walks over to her father and he grabs her hands from her side and hold them in his hands. “If I remember correctly as a little girl you used to always say you were going to marry Junmyeon one day. Did something happen between the two of you? Did you two fight again?” Her father asks referring to when they were just five years old and had fought over a stuffed teddy bear.

The argument ended when the teddy bears arms tore off from the tug of war they were having. Junmyeon then hugged Mi-Cha when she cried because ‘they killed teddy’. Mi-Cha’s parents had been friends with the Kim’s since they were back in college, so she and Junmyeon had been raised together. There wasn’t a week they didn’t see each other. Most days either she was at his house or he was at hers. Her parents had even renovated the downstairs when they were about ten years old, so they had a place of their own.

            “No Appa, nothing like that. I am only tired is all.” She gives him a sweet and innocent smile. He knows his daughter well enough to be able to tell she is lying though but he doesn’t push it. The truth was in their last year of high school Mi-Cha had confessed to Junmyeon that she had a crush on him. He had told her that day, that he could ‘Never feel the same way’. After they both started going to different colleges, they hadn’t seen each other. Anytime they saw each other before he left for college was usually spent awkwardly in the basement, so their parents didn’t suspect anything. Each time the Kims’ had come over after that Junmyeon always had excuses such as busy with a project or one of his friends had invited him to hang out with them. It almost felt like he made it a point to never see Mi-Cha again.

            Mi-Cha still had feelings for Junmyeon though and she knew that. No matter how long it had been since they last seen each other her feelings wouldn’t change that easily. She made it her mission today to act like his presence didn’t affect her though. Her father gently her hair with a kind smile on his face. He could tell something was bothering his daughter he just didn’t know what it was and knew she wouldn’t tell him. The knock on the front door brought Mi-Cha and her father out of their moment. Her mother hurried off to answer the door. Mi-Cha’s father stood from his seat one hand still holding Mi-Cha’s hand. “Looks like the show is on.” He jokes as they walk to the door behind her mother.

            “TAE!” Mi-Cha’s mother exclaims as she opens the door. Mi-Cha covers one of her ears with her free hand because of how loud her mother is , using her father’s shoulder to cover the other one. “It feels like it has been ages.” She hugs Junmyeon’s mother and then his father. “How are you, Yong-ha?”

            “Very good, Hana. How are you?” he responds happily.

            “Better now that you are all here. Long time no see Junmyeon.” She pulls the boy into a big hug. Mi-Cha notices him glance over her mother’s head at her, but she just subtly hides most of her face in her father’s shoulder. “I feel like you have gotten more handsome over the last 2 years, sweetie.” She says as she gets a good look at him, holding his arms out to the side and looking him up and down. Mrs. and Mr. Kim have both already entered the house and were now hugging and greeting Mi-Cha’s father and her.

            “And you are as beautiful as ever Eomma Park.” Junmyeon compliments as him and his friends enter the house. Mi-Cha tries her best not to cringe at the nickname he calls her mom. “These are my friends. This is Minseok, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Sehun.” He introduces them all. “Boys this is Mrs. Park”

            “Oh, please just call me Auntie. Welcome all of you. I hope you enjoy your stay here.” Mi-Cha’s mother greets the boys. “This is my husband Dae-Hoon and my daughter Mi-Cha.” She gestures back toward her family and the boys bow and greet them. Mi-Cha gives them a slight bow in return, before moving back to cuddle into her father’s side. Through the whole introductions, unbeknownst to her, Junmyeon was watching her.

            “I will definitely enjoy my stay with such a beautiful girl around.” Baekhyun whispers into Sehun’s ear and the boy nods in agreement. After the introductions are done the “adults” go into the sitting room to enjoy some tea and catch up on the last couple of months they have been apart. Mi-Cha’s father pushes her towards the boys gently with a kind smile and simple nod. So now Mi-Cha is being forced to show the boys to gaming area in the basement of their house. ‘It’s not like Junmyeon hasn’t been here before and could have shown them himself or anything’ she thinks to herself but her mother had made a point that she needed to make the boys feel welcome so she was stuck with them.

            “So, Mi-Cha, how long have you and Junmyeon hyung known each other?” Kyungsoo asks as he comes up beside her down the hall.

            “Since we were in diapers. Our parents have been best friends since their college years.” She turns down another hall and then opens the first door on the right. Mi-Cha switches on the light that leads downstairs. Kyungsoo steps in front of her and reaches out a hand for her. She looks at him with surprise and confusion written all over her face.

            “Wouldn’t want you falling down the steps.” He gives her a handsome smile. Mi-Cha finds it hard not to smile back and takes his hand with a quick thanks as they walk down the stairs. The rest of the boys follow behind with smiles on their faces. Well all of them except Junmyeon who looks like he just ate a sour candy. At the bottom of the stairs Junmyeon reaches forward starting to turn on all the light switches as if he had done it a million times which he probably had. Mi-Cha feels his body press between her and the wall and jerks to get away from him. In the process she falls into Kyungsoo. “You alright there?” He questions, wrapping an arm around her waist to stable her.

            “Yeah, sorry, I just…” Mi-Cha was cut off by the other 3 boys surprised gasps as they see what is waiting for them in the basement gaming room. In one part of the room is a pool table, air hockey table, foosball table, and a ping pong table. In another part of the room was a couch with a big tv and every new available console for video games and a shelf full of all sorts of games that Junmyeon and Mi-Cha had collected over the years. Next to the video gaming area was a bar completely stocked with sodas, flavored water, snacks, a popcorn machine, candy, and even alcohol now that she was old enough to drink it. Opposite the gaming tables was a small area full of arcade games. In a small corner of the room were two desks facing each other where Junmyeon and Mi-Cha used to study together, long forgotten and covered in dust.

            Junmyeon detaches from the group to go over to the desks. He smiles down at the picture of Mi-Cha and him still sitting in the picture frame in between the two desks. He then starts to rummage through the drawers of his desk. Mi-Cha watches him while the boys wander around until she hears one of them ask, “What’s behind that door?” She turns to see Minseok pointing at the door opposite the bar across the video gaming area.

            “A Theatre.” Mi-Cha and Junmyeon answer simultaneously. She hadn’t even noticed him stop his search and jumped when his voice answered along with hers.

            “Yah is this your house?” Mi-Cha yells.

            “Might as well be. It was like my second home, with how often I came over.” He responds smartly. She gives him a dirty look and sticks her tongue out at him. He smiles and starts to approach her. She knew what he was doing. He used to do this all the time when they were younger. ‘“Keep sticking your tongue out at me little one and I will have to bite it off” Junmyeon says before jokingly biting towards the Mi-Cha’s tongue’ The memory replays in her mind and she does want his face that close to hers. She steps behind Sehun who surprisingly hasn’t left to investigate the basement like the rest of the boys.

            “Then why don’t you show them around Mr. Genius.” She turns to leave, but Sehun grabs her wrist.

            “Please don’t go, Noona.” He pouts cutely at her. “I really want to play games with everyone, especially you. Then maybe we can all watch some movies together.” He pulls her closer to him and away from Junmyeon’s continuous approach. Mi-Cha is dumbstruck besides Junmyeon no guy has ever pouted at her or been chivalrous enough to help her down the stairs. She is so not used to boys treating her like she is actually a girl and not just a nerd they go to in order to request a tutor.

            “Um, okay, I guess I can stay. It’s Sehun correct?” she blinks a couple of times before smiling sweetly at him and he nods excitedly. She looks down to where he is still holding her wrist and her face starts to heat up as she pulls away from his grip. Junmyeon watches the interaction and glares at her for blushing. ‘How dare she blush for Sehun like that.’ He thinks to himself.

            “You’re cute when you blush.” Sehun smiles and turns her around using her shoulders and moves her towards the couch to play video games. Not knowing his comment only made her blush a deeper red. Junmyeon pouts at how easily Sehun can get her to blush and follows a little behind them. At this point Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are already playing a game of air hockey against each other and from what she can hear it sounds like it is getting aggressive. Minseok is on the couch already getting a game ready for them.

            “Here Mi-Cha sit next to me.” Minseok pats the cushio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter