Beginnings

Neighbours

Chaeyoung was fiddling nervously-- Looking down to avoid his parent's expectant stare.

 

"Chaeyoung?" His mother called out, turning around to glance at her 6-year-old son-- smiling fondly when she saw him clutching his tiger teddy close to his chest in the backseat.

 

Her husband, who was driving-- suddenly laid a hand on top of hers, gripping it gently.

 

"Let him be, Nayeon."

 

Nayeon sighed, nodding. She cupped her belly, rubbing a free hand over the growing bump. An idea popped into her head, making her grace that familiar bunny smile.

 

"Chaengie, are you excited to show your little brother around the new house?" She asked, gesturing to her stomach while beaming at the little boy.

 

He shook his head up and down, now occupying a bright smile. That dimpled smile. Nayeon felt her heart flutter-- contentment filling her up to the core. She was happy, Especially to be starting fresh. New, and rejoiced with old acquaintances.

 

She was about turn ahead and stare at the road until she heard a tiny whisper-- barely a gust of wind or a coherent breath.

 

"W-wheres o-older brother?" He said, speaking in an abnormally small voice.

 

Nayeon only gazed at him in adoration-- eyes full of warmth and lips quirked up encouragingly. Her son wasn't mute, but ever since a young age, he's had trouble speaking. He could barely talk to their little family alone-- so he was practically a soundless ghost whenever he was forced to attend a school or go to public events. They still weren't able to find the cause or reasoning, despite visiting countless doctors and psychologists. But, in the end, Nayeon and Jeongyeon determined it didn't matter-- he was their son, and they loved him. There was nothing particularly wrong. Nothing of serious worry.

 

That was their mentality, but it seemed reality didn't have the same intentions. They'd been called in by the principal one day and told that their son was being bullied and that he quite frankly wasn't cut out for 'school'. It broke Nayeons heart and further infuriated her when he even suggested to put him in for homeschooling. Later on, it dawned on her that this was her fault. If she wasn't so broken-- if she was just a bit healthier then, maybe Chaeyoung wouldn't have to go through this. If she had just caught on early and immediately looked for treatment, maybe he would have still been fine.

 

Sensing his wife's drowsy face and dampening mood-- he quickly gave her hand a tight squeeze, telling her with his eyes, It wasn't your fault before focusing back on the road.

 

She inhaled a shaky breath, pulling herself together and processing what her son just said before she had spaced out, answering him with a quiet response. It suited the atmosphere-- the serene image, the pass of greenery and salty blue waters. They travelled in silence, the occasional questions and random conversations coming around every so often.

 

"He's already here, remember? He came to Korea with aunty, so he should be at home by tomorrow." She stated, voice soft to not alarm her sensitive son.

 

She watched him nod in the rear view mirror, turning to face out the window. His cheeks puffed out, visibly chubby underneath that bucket hat covering half his face. Nayeon chuckled, eyes watching the road as it passed. Buzzing traffic, busy cities-- all flew by as they made their way out of town, right to a grassy and almost forest-like area secluded off from the rest.

 

Finally, after a 12-hour drive with merely only 4 stops, she could get out and walk around. She gaped with amazement as they pulled into their new house-- moderately sized and big enough to fit a working family.

 

She quickly tried to pry the door open, abruptly stopped by her husband when he smiled at her sheepishly. She watched as he went around and opened the door for her, holding onto her arm to help her get out safely. She stretched her stiffened limbs, smiling at the breeze of fresh air. She already feels good about this.

 

Noticing her son through the corner of her eyes-- sitting in the car unmoving, she sighed and made her way to his door-- pulling the vehicle hatch open to greet him with a motherly smile, arms spread out to capture him in a small hold.

 

Luckily, he reciprocated-- jumping into his mother's arms without a second of reluctance, silent all the while doing so. Resting his head on her shoulder, he encircled his little arms around her neck, bathing in her familiar scent. "Mommy," he whispered, nuzzling his nose into her clothed shoulder.

 

Nayeon once again chuckled, about to head into their house when a memorable silhouette started walking up to her-- grinning widely while hiding a kid of her own behind the base of her legs. Nayeon almost jumped if it wasn't for the fact that she was holding a sleepy child-- excitement barely contained as she practically ran over to the missed presence.

 

"Jihyo!" She yelled, keeping a firm hold on her son with one arm while using the other to reach out and engulf her old friend in a hug.

 

Chaeyoung fluttered his eyelids, sounding out his mother's conversation with the strange lady hugging her-- looking down to notice a little girl clutching at the ladies leg. They made eye contact, but he just shrugged it off-- going back to burying his face into his mother's shoulder.

 

"Jeongyeon!" The lady said, still sporting a wide, toothy grin.

 

Jeongyeon greeted Jihyo, kissing either side of her cheek as he plundered short words, saying a quick 'bye' before going inside to set their luggage down. Chaeyoung watched as he continued to get their stuff out of the black Toyota trunk, unpacking everything and going to take it inside.

 

He tugged on his mother's clothes, crinkling her shirt by trying to signal he wanted to follow daddy. He pouted, wearing a grumpy frown when his mommy seemingly didn't get what he was trying to say. Leaning closer to her ear, he whispered a few of inaudible words. Inaudible to the rest of people around them, anyway.

 

"Mommy, I wanna go inside..." She ignored him, making him droop his frown even more.

 

"Right! This is Mina, isn't it?"

 

The lady nodded, pushing her daughter forward to say hello to the new people living next door.

 

Blushing a tomatoey red, Mina bowed-- closing her eyes as she stuttered her words. "H-hello, M-mrs yoo... I-I'm very glad you've moved into our n-neighbourhood..."

 

Nayeon giggled, ruffling the girl's hair before setting Chaeyoung down-- keeping a hold on his hand.

 

Confused, and slightly displeased--he started to feel uncomfortable when all eyes were on him, expecting something as he stood still.

 

"This is Chaeyoung, my second son. He's not much of a talker, so don't be too hard on him if he doesn't respond often."

 

Nayeon and Jihyo reminisced a while further, completely oblivious to their children's current stature.

 

Mina and Chaeyoung listened in as their moms laughed, talking about some high school banter. Chaeyoung felt himself yawn, tugging even harder than before on his mother's hand.

 

Looking down, Nayeon seemed to finally get the gesture, turning to bid a farewell and walk away with her son.

 

"You know, Chaeyoung, Mina's your noona. She's three years older than you," Chaeyoung bobbed his head, barely listening while his mother talked.

 

Smiling, Nayeon picked him up again-- taking him into their new home as soon as he'd fallen asleep and knocked right out.

 

This was gonna be their new start. A better life. More opportunities.

 

Nayeon kissed her husband on the cheek, making him turn a stark red. She laughed, feeling the walls of their house.

 

New memories. Things will be good here. She believed it.